Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

INNIS = WINS

13»

Comments

• Options
    Swisdom said:
    I went for a drink with Ryan Inniss on Friday - just to catch up with him really.  We sponsored his shirt a couple of years ago so I had his contact detaiuls.  What a genuinely nice chap he is!  I mean I wasn't expecting him to come in with a two-footed reducer on me at the bar but I wasn't expecting the good 90 minutes of chat with an erudite, calm, well spoken and honest man that I got.

Turns out he was playing with an injury for a while last season but the gaffer made him play through it.  He went to the physio who did some scans and he confirmed he had been playing for 3 months with a broken leg......but it had pretty much healed itself so he was only eventually out for about 3 weeks.

He said he was gutted about how his departure from the club was handled (not overly professionally or personally) and that his season was somewhat topsy-turvy and it was a massive culture shock coming from us to then FGR.  Him and some of the old team are still in a whatsapp group and chat quite frequently.

He doesn't know what the future holds but is contracted for another year there.  Incidentally he is earning more now, in the National League, than he was at Charlton in League 1

fwiw he loved it at Charlton and would love to come back in some capacity one day
    Not sure how true it was, but was told recently Innis was only on about £600 a week with us!
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I went for a drink with Ryan Inniss on Friday - just to catch up with him really.  We sponsored his shirt a couple of years ago so I had his contact detaiuls.  What a genuinely nice chap he is!  I mean I wasn't expecting him to come in with a two-footed reducer on me at the bar but I wasn't expecting the good 90 minutes of chat with an erudite, calm, well spoken and honest man that I got.

Turns out he was playing with an injury for a while last season but the gaffer made him play through it.  He went to the physio who did some scans and he confirmed he had been playing for 3 months with a broken leg......but it had pretty much healed itself so he was only eventually out for about 3 weeks.

He said he was gutted about how his departure from the club was handled (not overly professionally or personally) and that his season was somewhat topsy-turvy and it was a massive culture shock coming from us to then FGR.  Him and some of the old team are still in a whatsapp group and chat quite frequently.

He doesn't know what the future holds but is contracted for another year there.  Incidentally he is earning more now, in the National League, than he was at Charlton in League 1

fwiw he loved it at Charlton and would love to come back in some capacity one day
    Not sure how true it was, but was told recently Innis was only on about £600 a week with us!
    Heard he was on £10k a week but his fine for yellows and reds meant he ended up owing the club money.

Seriously, glad to read Swisdom's post.  Wish him well in the future.

Shocking that FGR allowed him to play with a broken leg!  Presumably a hairline rather then a compound fracture.

Not surprise that we didn't handle his leaving well.  Whatever we may think of any player we as a club should be professional and considerate.  But that was the tail end of the Sandgaard era so not a shock
  • Options
    edited May 20
    Swisdom said:

Fair play, not sure I ever saw him last 90 minutes when he was with us! 
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

Heard he was on £10k a week but his fine for yellows and reds meant he ended up owing the club money.

Shocking that FGR allowed him to play with a broken leg!  Presumably a hairline rather then a compound fracture.

Not surprise that we didn't handle his leaving well.  Whatever we may think of any player we as a club should be professional and considerate.  But that was the tail end of the Sandgaard era so not a shock
    I read last season as meaning when he played for us. Either way not good.
  • Options
    I definitely think Peak Inniss will be as a coach more than a player. He has the personality for it 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Swisdom said:

I read last season as meaning when he played for us. Either way not good.
    I read it as FGR, as otherwise Swisdom presumably would have mentioned the manager's name.
  • Options
    I know he could make mistakes, but in his day he was invincible in the air. Hopefully Jones will settle into that aerially dominant role. Not sure he’s any better than Ryan on the ground though. 
  • Options
    edited May 20
    On the ground he reminded me of Llera actually pretty decent, but prone to lapses in concentration, which too occasionally led to silly bookings.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jeckyll and Hyde character....absolute nutter on the pitch but seems a nice bloke off it. The elbow he threw at Oxford was criminal and don't know how he got away with it and the tackle against Wimbledon ! Would not want him back as he is a liability on the pitch.
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he had all the character that would have made him 'proper charlton' under a Curbishley. Had he have been around in the early 90s I think we'd all have a different view of him. I bet he was fantastic around the place especially for the younger players (in fact I know he was).

No one I've spoken to ever has a bad word to say about him, and you can't say he wasn't committed both on and off the field! Whilst I won't be hankering after him being resigned from a footballing perspective, I can think of many ex players I'd rather not have back over him, I hope he continues for some years yet as he's only about 28. He's a top top guy who maybe for whatever reason just fell short of the standard we all wanted on the pitch.

With some of the dross we've had over the past 10 years I'd take him over an awful lot of those players every day of the week. 
    Can't say I agree, he seems a nice enough bloke off the pitch but on it I genuinely think over the last ten seasons he is one of the worst I've seen down here especially the last couple seasons where he was liability defensively and discipline wise.

All that said I guess coaches must of seen something in him to keep him at a premier league side until he was 24/25 with his injury record, hopefully from a personal point of view for him i hope he turns it round.