Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich | Sat 17 Apr | 12:30pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    Dont think there is much wrong with Famewo, Adkins said after Doncaster that he was due to play against Lincoln

Cant remember if he then gave an explanation as to why he wasnt even on the bench last week
    He said he could have been on the bench/played but there was no need to risk it when we have a settled back 4 with cover. 
  • Options
    If Maatsen's out I'd rather see Shinnie take his place. Millar or DJ I'm fine with, but, even with DJ's improved form, having both seems too inconsistent.
  • Options
    We are in form, no doubt now and other teams will know it, no longer turning up at the Valley believing an early charge and long shot will result in an early goal and likely 3 points. Ipswich will play more cautiously and we will make the most of it in a 2-1 win. Stockley and JFC.
  • Options
    http://tractor-boys.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67615

Link to the Ipswich fans preview ahead of this game, majority of their fans predict a Charlton win at the time of posting this
    Christ they make us look like the eternal optimists!!

Charlton 2-0. Stockley and JFC
  • Options
    Can we edit the title please I nearly had a breakdown when i saw 3pm believing it was gonna clash with watching the Royal Funeral so glad to hear it’s not .
    FFS!! - Thought my days of typos in the Previews was over, updated now so you can breathe easy 😂
  • Options
    Comfortable win. 4-0 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Can see this being a reasonably basic 3 points won, and can see a good 3-0 result.

Shame if Akin isn't in the line up, with him being with Norwich and the well known hate as a team of Ipswich, would have been motivated even more to help get us get the win we need, no doubt will have some input in the dressing room.
    Having said that it is good to have a settled back 4, and Pearce has really set up a good relationship with Ryan of late, and sure that will continue Saturday.
  • Options
    It is about time we gave a team a pasting,cannot imagine Paul Cooks comments doing much for team morale,so this could be the week.Plenty of results going our way at the moment,lets not balls it up.
  • Options
    Relatively easy 2-0 home win .
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We're a bit light in the striker department with Washington and (probably) Chuks out and I'm guessing that this is likely be the case for Tuesday night as well. Let's hope that Stockley stays fit and well. He works like a Trojan and was, unsurprisingly, jiggered towards the end of last Saturday's game. As Fanny says, injuries are always a bit of a worry, especially with just over three weeks of the regular season to go, but I suppose all clubs are in the same boat at the end of a tough and truncated schedule.

Cook's tirade and swingeing criticisms of his team after the Wimbledon defeat felt well over the top to me. He's doubtless hoping for a reaction but he is effectively disowning a group of players who are presumably already low on confidence. I suspect his intended audience are the new owners.

Anyway, none of that is our concern. Let's hope we can start on the front foot, maintain the tempo and turn in another professional performance.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Paul Cook decided to call out his players in public the other day. According to this board's wisdom on management, they'll all down tools now, so we should absolutely walk this one. 
    No. It's a risk some of them might though. Especially as they were all told they'd played their last games in the shirt, so why should they bother?

He's come out with some super concerning stuff in his short time there. Just a month and a half.

From this:

"For Ipswich, probably similar to Sunderland and Portsmouth, the supporters genuinely believe that they shouldn't be in this league," he said.

Cook told BBC Radio Suffolk: "We've got to aim for the stars, we have to do that, it's what football's about.

"The target has to be automatic promotion at the minute - if that's not mathematically possible, or difficult to do, we'll try and get in the play-offs.

"And if we unfortunately didn't make the play-offs, it won't be because we haven't done our best."

to this: 

"The best feeling as a manager is when you put a team on the pitch that you trust. I don't trust our team." 

“I’ll keep biting my lip as long as I can, especially for the players standards, expectancy and everything you need in football, desire to win games, everything we lack. We are a soft touch, whether anyone likes to hear that or not, we are and that includes me and the staff.

"It’s not brave having a go when the games gone. Brave is going away from home and winning games and being brave in your play. It’s just not good enough.”

(Last bit ignoring being brave in your play may cause you to concede) 

Think we dodged a bullet tbh. 
  • Options
    Tighter than people think as Ipswich pull their socks up in response to criticism but I can still see us winning this. 2-1 to the mighty Addicks as the unbeaten run continues...
  • Options
    Interesting game imo. We should get 3 points but this is us ! So typical to win last week unexpectedly then throw the advantage away a week later. Im hoping Nig has cast his magic and put an end to that trait. Massive game 3 points and we are on our way. Anything less errrr still in a scrap 
  • Options
    An early afternoon walk in the park... 4-0.  Not really - a nervy game with the usual nail biting last 5-10 minutes but run out 2-1 winners.
  • Options
    Taking nothing for granted. Think it will be another tough game. Hope Chuck's can make the bench. If Maartson doesn't make it I would like to see Shinnie back. Don't care how we win but let's get three points. Feel so more confident with Innis at the back now.
  • Options
    Everyone is expecting the win, we have an awful home record of late and tend to let teams in a rut sneak a win. 
    1-2 Ipswich, not sure if i am being silly or just been charltonised... 
  • Options
    We have looked so much more solid and physically dominating at front and back in the last 2 games. If we can do that again on Saturday we should win. 2-0.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some quotes coming up from Nigel Adkins' presser this afternoon... Team News: Conor Washington won’t make this game but could be back after - will be assessed over the coming week. Chuks will be monitored in training tomorrow before a decision is made. Same with Maatsen. #cafc

Alex Gilbey and everyone else in the squad should be ready to go. #cafc

Adkins on spending time with the Charlton Upbeats: "I’m still smiling now! It was great to see them - they just give you that enthusiasm. We had a walk around the training ground, it was really really good. They could ask me some questions... #cafc

"It was just great - uplifting. Understanding everything that goes on in the football club, with the community...it’s great. I’m really pleased to be a part of it." #cafc

Adkins on the win at Sunderland: "The lads are in good spirits. It was a hard-fought victory, they had been undefeated for a long time so to go there and win in the manner we did, we’re all very pleased with it. Great character shown by the players which is important." #cafc

Asked Adkins about the role he sees for Matt Smith/Albie Morgan over the rest of the season: "It was great for Albie and Matt to get a full 90 minutes in a game. It was great for me to go and watch them as well as the U23s. #cafc

"But specifically watching them and seeing what their attributes are and what they can bring to the team when required. Even though I’ve been here a month I’ve still got to know more about everybody." #cafc

"Everybody’s gotta be ready because your opportunity will come when you least expect it. We’ve got a group of players who are all focused on the run of games we’ve got and everybody will be needed. We’re going to be in a situation where we go Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues. #cafc

"It’s challenging especially when you throw in the travel. One injury at this time could rule someone out for the rest of the season. Everyone’s got a role to play and everybody’s gotta be ready." #cafc

Adkins had a chat with the players on Monday to remind them of their responsibility to stay vigilant and keep good covid practices despite the recently relaxed restrictions. Doesn’t want to risk “the whole training environment becoming compromised.” #cafc

Adkins: "I’m not a politician but do the basics right. We all want to get out of this." #cafc

Adkins on Charlton's home struggles: "I think we have to just approach it as the next game. You can spin it in different ways - if we haven’t won so many games at home then law of averages says we’re due a win. You could look at it that way. #cafc

"Ultimately the players are honest, hard-working, give everything they’ve got. I went to watch Wimbledon Ipswich, they’re having a challenging period. But one thing I can guarantee is it will be just as tough as Sunderland. They’re going to be really fired up for the game. #cafc

"Because they’re like us, very close in the league table, pushing for the playoffs, and having played with Paul as well all those years ago at Wigan Athletic, I know his taem is going to be fully committed. It’s going to be a real tough game. #cafc

"But we’ve got to make sure it’s a tough game for them as well. We’ve got to not rest on the laurels of what we’ve been doing so far, we’ve gotta keep pushing on and driving on. I must say the players have applied themselves really well so far, but we’ve got to keep going. #cafc

"We’ve just got to keep working very very hard. We’ve got good quality players, the spirit’s been good, but the work ethic and the determination to keep improving will constantly be here with the standards we’re after." #cafc

Adkins on expiring contracts and summer plans: "From a recruitment point of view we’ve got Steve Gallen, Ged Roddy, how we want to do recruitment, how we put it all together...we’re developing that and building that. #cafc

"We need to know where we’re looking for - are we in League One or the Championship? That might affect the players we can attract, so that’s in the balance. Likewise, it’s about being able to establish what players have we got with us? #cafc

"Some players coming out of contract might have been doing ok or they might not have been doing too well - who’s going to fit into our plans moving forward? So we're assessing all that on a daily basis. #cafc

"The sooner we can start moving with signatures will be beneficial but it’s got to be right and at the right time. I think you’ll find as well, history would suggest, a lot of signings especially at League One are done in the final days of the transfer window. #cafc

"We want to be signing players but we want to be getting best out of the players we’ve got at the moment and make sure there’s a pathway for the youngsters to come through. There’s a lot of work going on behind the scenes, for example, preseason. #cafc

"If we stay in League One we’ve got a day where we’ll come back. We’ve got the first day of preseason sorted out, all being well we’ve got a training camp away as well. So that’s important, we’ve got a structure to build towards and how we want to do preseason." #cafc

Adkins on his first game at The Valley: "I’m really looking forward to being there - being in the changing room, being on the pitch. It’s just a shame the supporters aren’t there. But straight away I’ve seen on the Valley Pass, I know supporters' engagement is really good. #cafc

"It’s such a great football club to be part of. Yes the supporters can’t be there at the moment, but they will be. And we’re all pulling the same direction." #cafc
    Love all this, we sound like a proper club with a vision again. 
  • Options
    To get in the play offs we currently need to get 2 points a game, giving us the magical 75 points (if my maths is right?)

Because we won on Saturday, this becomes a must not lose game, if we drew it would have been a must win.  Its only a must not lose game because of who the opposition are.  Its a must win game for them.

As for predictions of the team I would guess a a box midfield with DJ playing off Stockley and the full backs proving width.  Who the 4th midfielder is I wouldn't like to say, it could even be Watson and push JFC foward. It could also be Shinnie, Morgan, Smith.  I think it would be a risk, if Maatsen and Aneke are out, to start Millar and DJ because pace off the bench is a massive asset.

As for the score?  If we score 1st we will win comfortably.  If. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Why’s it kicking off at 12:30pm and not 3pm?
    Really?
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    No, obviously not really 🙄
  • Options
    Easy win - must be about time..
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    What comes around, goes around...probably the tip
    of the iceberg of problems clubs will be facing...another reason, as if we needed one, for TS coming along