Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton v Ipswich | Sat 17 Apr | 12:30pm | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2021
    A must win for both sides- fancy a 2-1 victory for the Addicks. Ipswich look in  very poor form.
  • Options
    Thats excellent news, although Ipswich fans dont seem too bothered
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    ...probably not excellent news then ;) 
    I've always been impressed with him as a Footballer so I'm happy about it ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    mendonca said:
    ...probably not excellent news then ;) 
    I've always been impressed with him as a Footballer so I'm happy about it ;)
    Yeah decent enough player, especially for this level, had a bit of a McGeady at Charlton season. Not shown his quality often enough, still has some goals and assists though. 
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Why’s it kicking off at 12:30pm and not 3pm?
    I asked @ForeverAddickted this question and he responded, 'As I was writing the preview, the Duke of Edinburgh would die and throw into doubt all fixtures that day. However, the decision would be made to change the kick-off to an earlier time so as not to clash with the funeral which, if you're reading this on Sunday, would happen at 3pm.'

Love you really, FA. ;)
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Why’s it kicking off at 12:30pm and not 3pm?
    I asked @ForeverAddickted this question and he responded, 'As I was writing the preview, the Duke of Edinburgh would die and throw into doubt all fixtures that day. However, the decision would be made to change the kick-off to an earlier time so as not to clash with the funeral which, if you're reading this on Sunday, would happen at 3pm.'

Love you really, FA. ;)

• Options
    edited April 2021
    Quick look at his season stats on FlashScore, seems to play a lot of 90 minute games, has managed 4 goals from midfield. Maybe they’re just trying to be positive about it. As soon as I saw he wasn’t playing, immediately thought that’s good news for us. 
  • Options
    Not sure whether any of this should make us feel more or less confident about tomorrow.

“I offer very little criticism to the team but, at the minute, I don’t like the team and I haven’t got a clue what I’m getting out of them. That will end at the end of this season. 100%. 

“The least I say, the better it will probably be.” 

When asked how his players have been since Tuesday’s 3-0 loss at Wimbledon, Cook simply replied: “I don’t really care.” 

But now he wants to see a reaction? “Since they were relegated two years ago Ipswich fans have had false dawns, players playing well for a couple of games and inconsistencies. People flattering to deceive, runs of four games without scoring and then keeping clean sheets for three....

...“We don’t put crosses into the box, we don’t create chances, we don’t defend well and we don’t defend set-pieces well. We don’t retain possession of the ball, we’re not very fit and we’re not very athletic."

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/paul-cook-on-ipswich-town-squad-overhaul-7902572
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    3 points are here for the taking, but I do worry about our lack of depth up front with the system 433 Adkins has set us up to play in his first few games, if we have no Washington, Aneke or Maatsen. Ronnie would then be our only attacking sub and he doesn't really suit this system. And we have a game on Tuesday, so not much recovery time for the attacking 3 (Stockley, Millar, DJ) to recover.

Of the existing squad Morgan is probably the best replacement for one of the wide attackers, though it's not really his normal position. Maybe an U23 attacker will be on the bench to give us some pace?
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Not sure whether any of this should make us feel more or less confident about tomorrow.

“I offer very little criticism to the team but, at the minute, I don’t like the team and I haven’t got a clue what I’m getting out of them. That will end at the end of this season. 100%. 

When asked how his players have been since Tuesday’s 3-0 loss at Wimbledon, Cook simply replied: “I don’t really care.” 

But now he wants to see a reaction? “Since they were relegated two years ago Ipswich fans have had false dawns, players playing well for a couple of games and inconsistencies. People flattering to deceive, runs of four games without scoring and then keeping clean sheets for three....

...“We don’t put crosses into the box, we don’t create chances, we don’t defend well and we don’t defend set-pieces well. We don’t retain possession of the ball, we’re not very fit and we’re not very athletic."

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-town/paul-cook-on-ipswich-town-squad-overhaul-7902572
    And we thought Bowyer was harsh! Wow! 
    Yeah on that basis I think Paul Cook was the last person that we should have ended up with in terms of his people skills
  • Options
    I think we have goals in midfield now which helps us a lot.
  • Options

Improvements in set plays means we have defenders who can chip in with a goal as well
  • Options
    What time do we think the pre match chat will start tomorrow?  11.45 ish?
  • Options
    I would imagine the game is a must win for Ipswich which ought to help us. 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Yeah coverage starts at 11:45am tomorrow 
  • Options
    1 up within 18 minutes... 2 up by 36 minutes... 

Concede by 68 minutes. 

2-1 win an Innis and Adkins master class... 
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Yeah coverage starts at 11:45am tomorrow 
    Thanks FA - Got a decision to make - playing myself with a 1.30 meet - interestingly on the astro turf pitch charlton financed i believe at footscray rugby club - do i pay for the match, watch preview and first half then go or leave it? think i will buy it actually and just put up with the wife complaining about how i waste money  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    or i guess i could take the laptop with me and connect to footscray rugby club wifi? guess that would work? 

• Options

Improvements in set plays means we have defenders who can chip in with a goal as well
    Having an 8 foot centre back helps as well! 
  • Options
    I predicted a 3-0 defeat for the last game so what do I know?

Would like to see us play some half-decent football and not just lump it up to Stockley all day long or hope to score from a set piece. 

Difficult to get that excited about sneaking into the play off playing like Doncaster Rovers used to but I guess it's the only option.

Just hope it's slightly more entertaining than the funeral.

1-1
  • Options
    think this will be more difficult that some think
    1-1
  • Options
    MattF said:

Bizarre comments, he must think they'll have a positive effect because otherwise I can't understand why he'd be that brutal with a few games left and play offs still possible

It's even weirder when you consider how long he's been in the job
  • Options
    Thanks for a quality preview (as usual)
    A decent win here and I may change my view that our season is already over.

The tractors losing to AFCW like that is a shocking result, and there will be a reaction from pro players.
    We still look like a team that has to get the first goal, but the return of Innis has made us play with more confidence, and it seems Amos has again found those Prem quality saves he was making back in the Autumn.

Which ever way this season finishes - we must look to our results against the strugglers and face the truth:

Shrewsbury (4 dropped)
    Swindon (4 dropped)
    Rochdale (2 dropped)
    Wimbledon (2 dropped)
    Burton (6 dropped)

just taking half of those (theoretical) dropped points would have put us 3rd in the table today, or win them all and we would be top (with a game in hand).

Can we beat any of the current top 6 over 2 legs?
    I doubt it, but would love the chance, and we are probably going to have to beat 2 of them to get that chance.

COYR
  • Options
    Having just read the comments from Paul Cook & seeing that Judge is now out I would hope we would go out all guns blazing & get a nice 2 or 3 goal lead by half time. Push their faces in the dirt & keep them there. 

I'm also hoping that Chuks will be on the bench & if Maatsen's not fit then start with Millar & DJ alongside Stockley. One thing is for sure, Nads has been at this game longer than Bowyer & knows what he is doing. 

Dont like to say it (because I prefer reverse psychology) but feel the winning run will continue.

3-1.
  • Options
    Having just read the comments from Paul Cook & seeing that Judge is now out I would hope we would go out all guns blazing & get a nice 2 or 3 goal lead by half time. Push their faces in the dirt & keep them there. 

I'm also hoping that Chuks will be on the bench & if Maatsen's not fit then start with Millar & DJ alongside Stockley. One thing is for sure, Nads has been at this game longer than Bowyer & knows what he is doing. 

Dont like to say it (because I prefer reverse psychology) but feel the winning run will continue.

3-1.
    Oh you've only gone and jinxed us now Golfie!
  • Options
    Unless Paul Cook is a master of reverse psychology, I can’t see anything other than a Charlton win.
    if Cook does decide to ditch his non-triers and throw the kids in, Ipswich might start enthusiastically but won’t last the pace