Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wayne Rooney's Derby County - not any more (p41)

Comments

• The playing assets Derby have are a few talented youngsters. Most of their squads are short contract free transfers and journeymen

It's still shocking when you think of the playoff final in 2019 vs Villa, which was a sliding doors moment for both sides. If Derby had gone up, Villa would be the ones facing financial disaster now (or earlier)
    Kristian Bielik, please .
    another injury prone player on high wages .. NO thanks
  • edited September 2021
    Why's it only -12 points? I thought admin was 30
  • edited September 2021
    Croydon said:
    No. A standard 12 point deduction has been in operation for a good number of years. Reading on here it seems some teams in the past have been deducted more than 12 but I think that was for other transgressions as well. 
  • Croydon said:
    No. A standard 12 point deduction has been in operation for a good number of years. Reading on here it seems some teams in the past have been deducted more than 12 but I think that was for other transgressions as well. 
    The extras have historically been based on coming out of admin wrong...... 

A fix tariff makes perfect sense.  
  • The eventual deal to emerge from administration will involve paying 100% of some debts, including money owed to players and to other clubs for transfer fees, and negotiating a percentage with their creditors on the others. If that percentage is less than 25%, they get hit with another points deduction. If they don't pay all their footballing debts, the penalty is much harsher - expulsion from the League and potentially needing to re-start 5 levels below. Anyone who buys them is going to want to pay all the footballing debts and negotiate the percentage that goes to other creditors as low as they can get it.
  • The eventual deal to emerge from administration will involve paying 100% of some debts, including money owed to players and to other clubs for transfer fees, and negotiating a percentage with their creditors on the others. If that percentage is less than 25%, they get hit with another points deduction. If they don't pay all their footballing debts, the penalty is much harsher - expulsion from the League and potentially needing to re-start 5 levels below. Anyone who buys them is going to want to pay all the footballing debts and negotiate the percentage that goes to other creditors as low as they can get it.
    So millionaire footballers get paid, small local businesses go bust. That sounds fair
  • Is there any sensible estimate of what the Derby total debts currently are ?
    I've read 50 to 70 million
    I've read 50 to 70 million
    If even that lower figure is accurate then they’re screwed. Without owning the keys to Pride Park they must be worth not much more than us.

• Think it’s 60+ million (10 to football, 20 secured loan, 30 tax man, rest others). Others will get …. Tax man will take 20 apparently and other 2 need paying in full. The loan is secured against the ground so an in the region of 20 million discount on the ground would seem attainable for a buyer of the club. So effectively about 30 million for derby plus the cost of the ground. It can only be attractive if other real estate  is included in the purchase surely 
  • Sponsored links:

• Away from Derby, I hadn't realised that Reading also are facing a points deduction (up to 9 points) for financial irregularities
  • Away from Derby, I hadn't realised that Reading also are facing a points deduction (up to 9 points) for financial irregularities
    They play each other on Wednesday too.
    I've been aware of this for a while (as my partner's team) - anything new about it that means it is in the news etc? I think there are a few others it could happen to too
    I've been aware of this for a while (as my partner's team) - anything new about it that means it is in the news etc? I think there are a few others it could happen to too
    I think it only seemed to reach the mainstream media late last week, and was mentioned by Colin Murray on Quest on Saturday
    So millionaire footballers get paid, small local businesses go bust. That sounds fair
    Never understood this.

Surely there should be a rule that all creditors must get at least 75% of what is owed to come out of admin. It's pathetic that players will get millions paid to them in full, whilst a smaller business (a caterer for example) might only get 10-20% of what they're owed and face potential ruin over a few thousand.
    It's football looking after football.
    Never understood this.

Surely there should be a rule that all creditors must get at least 75% of what is owed to come out of admin. It's pathetic that players will get millions paid to them in full, whilst a smaller business (a caterer for example) might only get 10-20% of what they're owed and face potential ruin over a few thousand.
    It's the EFL's rules, voted for by the EFL owners, not going to vote themselves out of pocket are they? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    The eventual deal to emerge from administration will involve paying 100% of some debts, including money owed to players and to other clubs for transfer fees, and negotiating a percentage with their creditors on the others. If that percentage is less than 25%, they get hit with another points deduction. If they don't pay all their footballing debts, the penalty is much harsher - expulsion from the League and potentially needing to re-start 5 levels below. Anyone who buys them is going to want to pay all the footballing debts and negotiate the percentage that goes to other creditors as low as they can get it.
    Never understood this.

It's the EFL's rules, voted for by the EFL owners, not going to vote themselves out of pocket are they? 
    But should the government allow this?

If football clubs realised their transfer fee income was at risk, maybe they'd be more watchful of who they dealt with, or insist on the fee being paid up front instead of being spread over several years?
  • Let’s face it. Footballs a shitshow 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited September 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    The eventual deal to emerge from administration will involve paying 100% of some debts, including money owed to players and to other clubs for transfer fees, and negotiating a percentage with their creditors on the others. If that percentage is less than 25%, they get hit with another points deduction. If they don't pay all their footballing debts, the penalty is much harsher - expulsion from the League and potentially needing to re-start 5 levels below. Anyone who buys them is going to want to pay all the footballing debts and negotiate the percentage that goes to other creditors as low as they can get it.
    Never understood this.

If football clubs realised their transfer fee income was at risk, maybe they'd be more watchful of who they dealt with, or insist on the fee being paid up front instead of being spread over several years?
    The penalty for not paying your "football debts" is potentially explosion.  Not sure how the government can or should decide who the EFL let play in their league?
  • Insisting on football debts being paid in full is essential to protect the league - otherwise a large club could go into administration, pay 25% to everyone and then leave smaller clubs who they owed money to facing going bust themselves due to losing 75% of a transfer fee they were expecting and had based their budgets on.

Personally I'd make the penalties tougher - I know the National League have tougher rules than the EFL which can lead to clubs being demoted. I think (don't quote me on this) they may actually require all debts to be paid in full, not just footballing ones. If the penalty for not paying all creditors in full was to spend the next season in non-league, that might focus a few minds. But it's still useful for football clubs to know that if they don't pay their football creditors they end up 5 levels below the league, as clubs emerging from administration have a strong incentive to avoid that penalty.
  • Insisting on football debts being paid in full is essential to protect the league - otherwise a large club could go into administration, pay 25% to everyone and then leave smaller clubs who they owed money to facing going bust themselves due to losing 75% of a transfer fee they were expecting and had based their budgets on.

Personally I'd make the penalties tougher - I know the National League have tougher rules than the EFL which can lead to clubs being demoted. I think (don't quote me on this) they may actually require all debts to be paid in full, not just footballing ones. If the penalty for not paying all creditors in full was to spend the next season in non-league, that might focus a few minds. But it's still useful for football clubs to know that if they don't pay their football creditors they end up 5 levels below the league, as clubs emerging from administration have a strong incentive to avoid that penalty.
    The national league won't accept a club in administration either so if Wigan had been in league 2, not the championship, they would have had no where to go if they got relegated. 

If transfer fees were paid up front, that wouldn't be an issue. Buying a player for £500k would mean transferring £500k that day, or at least within a short time period, not spread over several years
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Never understood this.

The penalty for not paying your "football debts" is potentially explosion.  Not sure how the government can or should decide who the EFL let play in their league?
    But why should a debt owed to a football club be treated differently to a debt owed to caterers or a security company?

That's not how insolvency works elsewhere, where all unsecured creditors are classified the same
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Never understood this.

But why should a debt owed to a football club be treated differently to a debt owed to caterers or a security company?

That's not how insolvency works elsewhere, where all unsecured creditors are classified the same
    Legally they are but if you don't pay your football debts you get kicked out of the league.  It's not the same as insolvency law.  I suppose you could "come out of administration" with a new owner who then pays the football debts so you can play in the league? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Never understood this.

Legally they are but if you don't pay your football debts you get kicked out of the league.  It's not the same as insolvency law.  I suppose you could "come out of administration" with a new owner who then pays the football debts so you can play in the league? 
    Maybe all clubs should contribute to a fund to help pay off football related debts if a club goes into admin? With strict point penalties for anyone having to use it, so new owners would have the choice of taking the points hit and money, or paying off the debts themselves

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Never understood this.

Maybe all clubs should contribute to a fund to help pay off football related debts if a club goes into admin? With strict point penalties for anyone having to use it, so new owners would have the choice of taking the points hit and money, or paying off the debts themselves

Charlton pay into a fund to pay off Derby’s debt?

maybe derby shouldn’t have got themselves into this mess?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Never understood this.

Did Tony Soprano write the latest set of EFL rules?!