Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Wayne Rooney's Derby County - not any more (p41)

Comments

• It is sad for the supporters but I cant see anyone stepping in here to buy them. It is just too much money involved to clear the debt. No disrespect to Bury etc but this is the 1st big club to disappear I think.
  • Twenty people have lost their jobs at Derby County as administrators begin cutting costs at the Championship club.

The losses come despite administrators hoping short-term funding will be in place next week.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-58747216

• clive said:

Twenty people have lost their jobs at Derby County as administrators begin cutting costs at the Championship club.

The losses come despite administrators hoping short-term funding will be in place next week.

Unless it’s playing staff, it’s not really going to help.
  • clive said:

Twenty people have lost their jobs at Derby County as administrators begin cutting costs at the Championship club.

Minimal savings, but they have to do something...
  • clive said:

Minimal savings, but they have to do something...
    They do, otherwise they come under scrutiny from creditors, their professional body and the regulators
  • Steve McLaren has resigned his Technical Director position to save the club some money
  • Steve McLaren has resigned his Technical Director position to save the club some money
    Might be worth auctioning his brolly.
    We could get him to replace Ged?
    Might be worth auctioning his brolly.
    Casper the snake would never allow that...
  • Sponsored links:

• Shocking if true, considering the transfer was in the summer of 2019
  • Chunes said:
    If I’m honest I still don’t see why Arsenal should have any priority for payment over and above local trades people. 
    Chunes said:
    If I’m honest I still don’t see why Arsenal should have any priority for payment over and above local trades people. 
    I agree........but sadly it's in their rules which is voted on by the league's chairman. 
  • Chunes said:
    Agreed but on the flip side of that, it's crazy that they've only received 20% of the fee more than TWO YEARS after signing him.

Ok it's Arsenal so they can go without 8m for a while, but what if it was a smaller team, or even us? 
  • edited October 2021
    Chunes said:
    Agreed but on the flip side of that, it's crazy that they've only received 20% of the fee more than TWO YEARS after signing him.

Ok it's Arsenal so they can go without 8m for a while, but what if it was a smaller team, or even us? 
    Or a Butchers, or St. John’s ambulance? There’s no reason football creditors should be ahead of anyone else. 
    I don't disagree, i made the same point earlier in the thread.  But it was agreed by the clubs so naturally they're not going to agree to something that might potentially lose them money.

You could argue that say for example a club like Accrington are owed 1m for a player, that's a huge sum to them, so why should they only get a small % of that if the club they sold him to get the player and then later go into administration.
  • Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    I agree........but sadly it's in their rules which is voted on by the league's chairman. 
    Yeah but I think the law of the land needs to be tightened up on this. There should be a list of priority creditors but off the top of my head it should start with HMRC followed by the Police, local authority and any registered charity. After that, in my opinion Krystian Bielik is no more a priority than 50 boxes of steak and kidney pies. 
  • Derby buy Bielik for a ridiculously bloated fee, one which 2 years later, they’ve barely paid.

It makes you wonder if the fee was in reality far less than the headline figure, as it was so spread out.
  • Sponsored links:

• My understanding is that HMRC are the initial creditors that must be settled first. 

Then according to the laws of the game (not the actual law) football debts must be settled in order to continue to be allowed to have your golden share that enables you to remain in the league. 

If you are not in the league then there is no chance of the other creditors being paid as you are definitely not a viable concern. 

I don’t like the often small local businesses being down the line for settlement but can somewhat understand why they do it that way. 

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    Yeah but I think the law of the land needs to be tightened up on this. There should be a list of priority creditors but off the top of my head it should start with HMRC followed by the Police, local authority and any registered charity. After that, in my opinion Krystian Bielik is no more a priority than 50 boxes of steak and kidney pies. 
    The law of the land does put HMRC first.

Would people feel differently if Derby owed Rochdale 800k than if they did Arsenal 8 million.  I suspect they would. 
    HMRC used to be preferential creditors, but not any more.

I think that most reasonable people would expect that all creditors should be treated equally. It is grossly unfair that one person gets all their money and someone else gets nothing.
  • edited October 2021
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

Would people feel differently if Derby owed Rochdale 800k than if they did Arsenal 8 million.  I suspect they would. 

I think that most reasonable people would expect that all creditors should be treated equally. It is grossly unfair that one person gets all their money and someone else gets nothing.
    They aren't preferred creditors but they won't take pennies in the pound if the assets are more than their debt.  Especially when it's PAYE and NI. As is the case with Derby.

And it is unfair, but if you got made bankrupt owning a massive bar tab, would you expect the land lord to let you back after paying 10p in the £1?
  • edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:

They aren't preferred creditors but they won't take pennies in the pound if the assets are more than their debt.  Especially when it's PAYE and NI. As is the case with Derby.

And it is unfair, but if you got made bankrupt owning a massive bar tab, would you expect the land lord to let you back after paying 10p in the £1?
    If the assets are worth more than the debt then everyone would get their money. It has been awhile, but I think that the only PAYE and NIC that get priority above everyone, is the PAYE and NIC that the administrator deducts from employees.

No, I would not expect to be let back in. I would also not expect it to be down to me which of the people I owed money too got paid and which didn’t.
  • I can see the logic in the “Football Creditors Rule”, as it does limit the risk of contagion to other clubs. However I think it is too broad - I’m not sure why players (and I assume managers) get paid in full while other employees don’t. My opinion is that they become just another unsecured creditor, with an option to terminate their contract/registration at will.