Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    Good on em.
  • Options
    Good. I hope the major sports media outfits do too. 
  • Options
    I would never of known that it I hadn't of logged onto he...r...e  oh!
  • Options
    I saw Swansea did it only for a full week rather than a dew days recently, was surprised then it wasnt a co-ordinated thing across the leagues at that point else it felt a bit in vain / pointless, so its good its being done on a wider scale

Hell it might have been Swansea doing it which has given everyone the idea

Eg was anyone else honestly aware that they did it for example? 
  • Options
    Good to see this and I hope it will be the first of many if they continue to fail to act. 

I’ll be keeping an eye on promoted tweets over the period though (think there are tools you can use to check) because ultimately the advertising on these platforms is how they make their money. It won’t work if clubs are paying for advertising over the period of boycott. 
  • Options
    I saw Swansea did it only for a full week rather than a dew days recently, was surprised then it wasnt a co-ordinated thing across the leagues at that point else it felt a bit in vain / pointless, so its good its being done on a wider scale

Fair point. To me it needs a # to get trending during the day so that the falling silent is more obvious. 
  • Options

Fair point. To me it needs a # to get trending during the day so that the falling silent is more obvious. 
    Not sure I agree. I might have misinterpreted it but I thought the idea behind the black out was to hit the companies where it hurts i.e. the less users, the less advertising, the less revenue for twitter, insta, facebook.

If there are no users, no hashtags over the entire sport for a weekend then that's a big dent. I'd have liked the betting sites to join in as they make up a significant proportion of the promoted tweets that I see.
  • Options
    I think we need to be very careful where this will all end. To be clear I am totally against any form of discrimatory abuse we need to be very careful of the end game.  The balance with freedom of speech must not be undermined
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Futile. Not in favour of this one.
  • Options
    Jac_52 said:
    redman said:
    I think we need to be very careful where this will all end. To be clear I am totally against any form of discrimatory abuse we need to be very careful of the end game.  The balance with freedom of speech must not be undermined
    Freedom of speech != Freedom to abuse 

Or freedom from the consequences, which at the moment on the internet there doesn't seem to be any for the scumbags who use it to racially abuse other people.
    There is no censorship on the internet - you can basically say what you want without fear of repercussions.
  • Options
    What would you suggest instead? This is not a sarcastic challenge, I am genuinely interested in what people think would be effective.    
  • Options
    This will definitely persuade racist knuckleheads to stop being racist, I can just see them now realising the error of their ways.
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    This will definitely persuade racist knuckleheads to stop being racist, I can just see them now realising the error of their ways.
    True it won't but they have to do something don't they?  The companies themselves don't seem to care.

• Options
    Does this mean they won't be showing the Accrington game next Saturday?
  • Options
    Rudders22 said:
    Does this mean they won't be showing the Accrington game next Saturday?
    No
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    buckshee said:
    I don’t understand this type of thought behind boycotts like this. No one is suggesting it will stop people being racist. But if powerful accounts on social media can highlight that the the social media companies aren’t doing enough to block those racists, then that’s a boycott worth doing. 
    precisely
  • Options
    Honestly didn’t know it was such a big issue. Do anything Charlton players suffer abuse?
  • Options
    What would you suggest instead? This is not a sarcastic challenge, I am genuinely interested in what people think would be effective.    
    Just read the BBC article on the blackout.
    Liverpool made a comment on the abuse of a couple of thier players.
    Would this be the same Liverpool who when one of thier players was found guilty of racial abuse they stood by him.
    Even to the extent the next game even all were t shirts in support of the guilty party.
    Also took Liverpool years to make the apology to the player who was racially abused.
    The abuse on social media does need sorting out, but how about English football sort out the way we deal with abuse in the game aswell.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    clb74 said:
    Just read the BBC article on the blackout.
    Liverpool made a comment on the abuse of a couple of thier players.
    Would this be the same Liverpool who when one of thier players was found guilty of racial abuse they stood by him.
    Even to the extent the next game even all were t shirts in support of the guilty party.
    Also took Liverpool years to make the apology to the player who was racially abused.
    The abuse on social media does need sorting out, but how about English football sort out the way we deal with abuse in the game aswell.
    All true and the same could be said of Leeds but that doesn't mean that social media boycott isn't a good thing

as that Jewish bloke said a couple of thousand years ago 

"I say unto you that likewise more joy shall be in Heaven over one sinner that repenteth, than over ninety and nine just persons who need no repentance."

Obviously He didn't know there were only 92 clubs in the four divisions but otherwise wise words
  • Options
    cafckev said:
    Honestly didn’t know it was such a big issue. Do anything Charlton players suffer abuse?
    They definitely have in the past whilst playing for us, remember when he did, Lyle Taylor was regularly sent banana and monkey emojis. Also Chris Powell swinging on the Sheff Wednesday crossbar at the end of the cup win famously got a very vile response.

I am sure the current lot may have received some but might want to make it worse by daring to complain.
  • Options
    Not being on social media I don’t really know what kind of thing such a boycott would signify.
    However the issue of racism in my view ought to be high on every agenda, and in the forefront of people’s minds all the time.
    If this social media thing helps people reflect on, and eventually stand up to, racism, then I would like to see more and more of this kind of thing.
    Anything that diminishes racists even a titchy bit is welcome as far as I am concerned.
    Better than passive acceptance.
  • Options
    Why only 4 days and not a complete ban until these companies do something about it? If you really cared you'd remove yourself from the platforms completely. Goes for every single person that uses that shitfest of a site.

People care more about being able to get their entire lifes news from that toxic hellhole than they do about taking a stand.

How many people on here have/would remove themselves indefinitely until something is actually done? Also ask yourself why you haven't already.
    Stop spoiling one of the stereotypes that is a cornerstone of every Charlton supporters soul.