Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton to boycott Social Media

12346»

Comments

• Options
    McBobbin said:
    thenewbie said:
    McBobbin said:
    For me, peer pressure is going to be important. If your mates challenge your views it's going to be more resonant than if someone from a group you don't like or respect is challenging you. It's more likely to happen in a respectful manner is well than having insults flying about
    True, but it's not always easy to challenge your friends. I've got friends who've said things that I thought crossed a line but I was too worried about causing a rift or an argument to say so out loud. Its not a frequent thing either (just all of us several several sheets to the wind) but that actually made it more awkward as there was the legitimate chance he was just being a drunk idiot in the moment.

I'm not proud of it but I would be very surprised if I'm the only one to have been in this particular situation.
    I get that, and know that I say a lot of things to my friends that I wouldn't say at work for example, and certainly I say things that I wouldn't want played back to be in court, gallows humour and all that. That's more with close friends, many of whom I've known for donkeys years and I don't know if I'd be friends with them if I met them for the first time today... But there have been times when I've stepped in of someone went too far, and I've been called out for being a twat as well, and actually thought about it 
    If someone is concerned that they can't call out their friends when they cross the line, they need to change their friends. 
  • Options
    PWR.

For something that is intended to be a boycott to make the tech companies think, these clubs/players aren’t half spending a lot of time on social media talking about it....

If these clubs/players really want to make a difference - how about take a full season out? Really make it hurt the social media companies. We know it won’t happen, but all this weekend-break has done is actually make more people take to social media to talk about it....
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cafctom said:
    PWR.

For something that is intended to be a boycott to make the tech companies think, these clubs/players aren’t half spending a lot of time on social media talking about it....

If these clubs/players really want to make a difference - how about take a full season out? Really make it hurt the social media companies. We know it won’t happen, but all this weekend-break has done is actually make more people take to social media to talk about it....
    Yes, talk about the problem and what to do about it.

That's a good thing, surely?

Maybe, this is the first step, like a warning from the ref.  Next is a yellow card, then a red card, then a long ban (maybe that's a full season out)

Yes, the players and clubs are using twitter to talk about it because that raises the issues where it lives and where it will have impacted.

Of course, come 15.01 today there will be a lot of idiots on twitter saying "No PC brigade is going to stop me posting" as if that was ever the point.

• Options
    cafctom said:
    PWR.

Maybe, this is the first step, like a warning from the ref.  Next is a yellow card, then a red card, then a long ban (maybe that's a full season out)

Yes, the players and clubs are using twitter to talk about it because that raises the issues where it lives and where it will have impacted.

Of course, come 15.01 today there will be a lot of idiots on twitter saying "No PC brigade is going to stop me posting" as if that was ever the point.

I don’t think I conveyed the point I was trying to make very well in my final sentence. 

The point I’m trying to get at is that it’s quite ironic that a social media boycott seems to involve everyone going to social media to report on it. 

Personally I don’t think social media and the way people use it will change until complete anonymity is taken away from every individual who uses it. Then again, I’m not necessarily sure that’s the sort of world I’d want to be part of if it went that way.

Sadly, I don’t think this is an issue that will ever properly be fixed. It has become too big.

But a weekend abstinence is nowhere near a big enough reaction to make any change - whether people are talking about it more or not.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    cafctom said:
    cafctom said:
    PWR.

I don’t think I conveyed the point I was trying to make very well in my final sentence. 

The point I’m trying to get at is that it’s quite ironic that a social media boycott seems to involve everyone going to social media to report on it. 

Personally I don’t think social media and the way people use it will change until complete anonymity is taken away from every individual who uses it. Then again, I’m not necessarily sure that’s the sort of world I’d want to be part of if it went that way.

Sadly, I don’t think this is an issue that will ever properly be fixed. It has become too big.

But a weekend abstinence is nowhere near a big enough reaction to make any change - whether people are talking about it more or not.
    The danger here @cafctom is making perfect the enemy of good.

Because it won't solve all the problems immediately (the perfect) doesn't mean clubs shouldn't do something to at least put pressure on the platforms to improve (the good)

From the CAFC OS

"Why are we boycotting social media?

Following proposals from EFL clubs earlier this month, Charlton, the EFL and the wider game as a collective wants to demonstrate our collective anger at the constant abuse on social media received by footballers and people in the game, as well as others across the world, which goes without any real-world consequences for perpetrators.

We know that a boycott alone will not eradicate the scourge of online discriminatory abuse, which is why we will continue to take proactive steps to call for change. We will not stop challenging social media companies until we see enough progress.

What change do we want to see?

We are asking for significant action from social media companies, including:

• Apply preventative filtering and blocking measures to stop discriminatory abuse being sent or seen

Be accountable for safety on platforms and protect users by implementing effective verification

• Ensure real-life consequences for online discriminatory abuse: ban perpetrators, stop account re-registration and support law enforcement 

• A warning message to be displayed if a user writes an abusive message and need to enter personal data if they wish to send the message

• Platforms to have robust, reliable and quick measures in place if abusive material is sent or posted

• Transparent quarterly reports on the work social media companies are doing, internally and externally, to eradicate abuse on their platforms

We are also urging the UK Government to ensure its Online Safety Bill will bring in strong legislation to make social media companies more accountable for what happens on their platforms."

I don't see why someone can't retain anonymity on twitter but still have to verify to use it wihout entering some 1984 world.   Other users on here don't know who you are but admin do and they have banned people who then got banned again when they tried to rejoin under different names.  OK CL is a lot smaller than twitter but it also has a lot less resources in terms of people and money.

I actually think the last line about making the social media companies accountable as publishers, rather than just platforms as they claim to be now, would make a huge difference as the companies would then be legally responsible for the abuse they allow, just like a newspaper is.

• Options
    Big Morts is on LBC right now.
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/56940793
    Be interesting to see how the Scottish authorities deal with this.
  • Options
    Is it going well?
    I don’t know as I don’t use the social media being boycotted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Jeez.
    The shame of it.
  • Options
    Dowden's an unfortunate visitor given his own government's record on abusing people online: https://www.standard.co.uk/insider/kemi-badenoch-nadine-white-twitter-investigation-free-press-b918747.html
  • Options
    I wonder who wrote in the social media of the Telegraph describing gay men as ‘tank top bum boys’?
    I wonder if such publication would appall Dowden.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
  • Options
    I wonder if racism is an inner city thing ? I grew up in South London in the 70's and at school racism very much existed but from memory the brunt of the vast majority of it were the children who had just arrived from Uganda as part of Idi Amens expulsion policy. I now live in rural North Wales and I can honestly say that my 6 kids and their friendship group are very vocal on their abhorrence of racism in any form. It does make me think back but I really cannot remember racism on a level as it seems today so in general imo I think it has got worse
  • Options
    I understand that tackling online abuse extends beyond race. There has been stuff in recent days about abuse received by female football fans, bloggers possibly, that has been misogynistic.
    There is also online abuse against others, disabled people, gay people amongst them.
    I am glad to hear your children and their friendship groups abhor racism.