Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pre-season Friendlies

Comments

• Options
    edited June 2021
    redman said:
    Scoham said:
    This is totally disgraceful. What on earth is she playing at. She has no mandate to do this. There are a few disgruntled fans but if you look at the likes it seems to me there are more CAFC fans liking the game against Dartford than those complaining! 
    Agree. Pathetic behaviour from all. 

Maybe I’ll tweet about how annoyed I am we aren’t playing Chelsea away in pre season and see where it goes. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
  • Options
    Can just imagine Curbs’ response to being told fans weren’t happy with the pre-season schedule. 
    I can imagine Bowyer's

It is what it is, what can I do, Scotty?   I keep telling them but they said Dartford 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    Can just imagine Curbs’ response to being told fans weren’t happy with the pre-season schedule. 
    Remember him being fuming when the MK Dons friendly got binned after supporters moaning
  • Options
    I'd still rather watch us play Welling in a PSG than watch a Pizza Trophy match. 
  • Options
    I'm of the opinion the the fans liaison appointment was nothing more than a PR exercise.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Remember him being fuming when the MK Dons friendly got binned after supporters moaning
    https://web.archive.org/web/20060618155400/http://www.bbc.co.uk/threecounties/sport/2003/05/08/charlton_snub.shtml
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

For background, we are obliged to play Dartford as per the agreement surrounding the use of Princes Park for the U23s during the season. 
    (I understand that Welling were approached first about hosting our U23 games, but turned it down).
    As that game had to be fitted in, it made it very difficult to factor in a Welling fixture around the rest of this pre-season schedule, unfortunately. 
    I believe there’s been an effort by us to try and arrange a CAFC XI team to play at Welling instead, but I’m unsure where that stands. 
    But are we obliged to play a first team at Dartford...?  Surely we should be sending a CAFC 11 to Dartford & a First 11 to Welling. Seems we have shot ourselves in the foot with this one.

Not very happy about this at all. Welling is always THE season curtain raiser. To replace it with playing Dartford instead is very poor imo.

TS has made his first boo boo. Just hope its the last. 
    Do shut up 
    That's a bit harsh.  OK, he forgot the apostrophe in "it's" but we aren't all perfect.
  • Options
    redman said:
    Scoham said:
    This is totally disgraceful. What on earth is she playing at. She has no mandate to do this. There are a few disgruntled fans but if you look at the likes it seems to me there are more CAFC fans liking the game against Dartford than those complaining! 
    It’s not “totally disgraceful” though, is it? It’s actually of no great importance at all.
    You are of course right as per usual. It is a bit arrogant raising this but as nobody will really pay any attention to it, it really is of no importance. I say that because friendlies are there to get the team ready and not to entertain us. We can disagree on here, but we shouldn't be complaining to the club. We have to trust the club and take them as they come. We won't be playing Welling but will be playing Dartford at the end of it all.
    Not really commentIng on the friendlies as such but on the overreaction to the tweet.
    I fully agree that it is not that important. The whole point of my comment was really about the role she is playing. Is it to represent the view of the majority of fans, being fairly sure of fans opinions, or of representing the views of a vocal minority. If we believe a fans representative has value it has to be a balanced judgement. 
  • Options
    redman said:
    redman said:
    Scoham said:
    It’s not “totally disgraceful” though, is it? It’s actually of no great importance at all.
    You are of course right as per usual. It is a bit arrogant raising this but as nobody will really pay any attention to it, it really is of no importance. I say that because friendlies are there to get the team ready and not to entertain us. We can disagree on here, but we shouldn't be complaining to the club. We have to trust the club and take them as they come. We won't be playing Welling but will be playing Dartford at the end of it all.
    Not really commentIng on the friendlies as such but on the overreaction to the tweet.
    I fully agree that it is not that important. The whole point of my comment was really about the role she is playing. Is it to represent the view of the majority of fans, being fairly sure of fans opinions, or of representing the views of a vocal minority. If we believe a fans representative has value it has to be a balanced judgement. 
    Or to represent all views without prejudice? 

If she has been asked a question, that it's reasonable the club answer, she is almost duty bound to ask it, even if she doesn't agree with it or thinks the person asking it is a complete nut job. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    redman said:
    redman said:
    Scoham said:
    Or to represent all views without prejudice? 

If she has been asked a question, that it's reasonable the club answer, she is almost duty bound to ask it, even if she doesn't agree with it or thinks the person asking it is a complete nut job. 
    I think that is a fair expectation of the role. A degree of filtering is surely appropriate.
  • Options
    I'd still rather watch us play Welling in a PSG than watch a Pizza Trophy match. 
    What's Paris St Germain got to do with it?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Ferryman said:
    PSG stands for Pizza Supercup Game (as opposed to the lesser Pizza Trophy match).
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    PopIcon said:
    I would hope that the friendlies are what the management believe will help us the most in terms of being ready next season. I agree there is no room for sentiment unless both sentiment and need align. 
    This is the last I'm going to say on the matter as I've made my feelings clear. There is room for sentiment in football, community level teams are enriched with it. That's the reason we play Red Red Robin as the players enter the field every home match. It's not like it's a banging anthem that is going to get the players psyched.

Hopefully there will be a couple more announcements early next week.
    That isn't sentiment, it is tradition. It seems that if Welling let our U-21s play on their pitch our friendly would be with them not Dartford. They didn't and a footballing decision has been made factoring in a commitment made to Dartford.
    I'm still waiting for the pre-season friendly with Inter Milan..........
    They did send over Nikola Berti though.
    Yup a year after Berti left Inter for Spurs.  Was good of them. 
    Absolutely.  You are right there.

Did you Google that info or know that before you posted?
    Knew before I posted. 
    Wonder how many games he played for us?
    He didn't did he?  I am sure I saw him in the stifs at Park View Road, funny enough, though.  I was well excited he was good in Italian 90.
    I only remember Berti playing in a testimonial at home to West Ham. 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Groundsharing with Welling.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MattF said:
    Another game behind closed doors. I wonder if the remaining friendlies will be.
  • Options
    A good friendly though
  • Options
    MattF said:
    Another game behind closed doors. I wonder if the remaining friendlies will be.
    Reads like Reading are hoping to play against West Ham in front of a crowd. Would not have gone anyway so makes no difference to me.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2021/may/royals-to-host-west-ham-united-at-the-madejski-in-pre-season/
  • Options
    Will the Game versus Reading be on Valley Pass / will all the friendlies be on Valley pass?
  • Options
    Is it unusual that we’re into June and only have three confirmed friendlies?

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60bf15ef97299/charlton-to-face-reading-in-pre-season-friendly
  • Options
    Will the Game versus Reading be on Valley Pass / will all the friendlies be on Valley pass?
    Maybe.  They have to agree with the other clubs about streaming which, so it appears, isn't as straightforward as you'd think.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Is it unusual that we’re into June and only have three confirmed friendlies?

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60bf15ef97299/charlton-to-face-reading-in-pre-season-friendly
    Yes, but to be fair everything is unusual right now, so I wouldn’t blame anyone.
  • Options
    clive said:
    Tough games. Especially when we are playing mostly U23's as we haven't managed to sign anyone by then...😄.