Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Post-match Thread: Accrington Stanley v Charlton Athletic| Sat 1 May 2021| 3pm

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Well after that debacle of a performance, which has to be the worst i have ever seen, i am still intending to catch the stream on Tuesday, just to see what we have learnt if anything, without expecting too much, but praying we may have.
    Now, if it goes well and we get the win B), obviously the stream it is Sunday V Hull, but... if we lose or draw...Sunday would be a game to nothing, watch us stuff Hull 5-0, bound to happen it's Charlton ain't it.

• Options
    So we could win the last two games and miss out on the play offs by one point...
  • Options
    I feel our performance was poor, but the disappointment aspect is what seems to be clouding people's judgement and memories. Having witnessed the 6-0 at Hull City, we have had other very poor days at the office, so worst ever, I think not. This result was more about the anticlimactic position of having gone 10 games unbeaten, only to gain two points from the next 9. It's the hope that kills. 
  • Options
    The club isn’t in control of the match pictures from Accrington AFAIK. It is at the mercy of the local production team. That said, I think not to acknowledge the fact the goal had been missed and apologise afterwards was a very poor decision.

Not sure who is supposed to be calling out Adkins? 

I was watching Accrington stream and didn't miss the goal. 
    That is interesting. Makes you wonder what pictures they were watching at The Valley, as I found it extraordinary they didn’t mention missing the goal.
    I think they have a team at The Valley who can sort out action replays and add scores from other games etc.
    Very poor decision to cutaway from a last ditch chance to salvage the game to show a replay, and stick with the replay while the free kick is taken. However, after watching that game it just made me laugh. Summed up the day really.
  • Options
    Thankfully I was playing (shit at ) cricket and missed it all but i ran off during the drinks break to grab phone and see the results and an internal explosion of expletives took place .
    Sadly predictable , my XG had us down as petering out and unfortunately it happened.
    I believed (wrongfully) these players had it in them for a play off spot but it failed to materialise even after the loyal one deserted us and mr happy came to town .
    All the good will and happiness in the world won’t get us promoted next season , it will take proper graft and some tough decisions.
    My own pessimistic opinion is and obviously it’s ridiculously too early and presumptuous(that’s what the internet is for ) but a play off failure is on the cards next year and Thomas will be tested as to how much money is he willing to burn on us .

5% play offs
    95% 7th-12th

• Options
    edited May 2021
    So, a shit day at the office, as Nige say's we draw a line and go again Tuesday, fingers crossed for a better performance, and maybe result, just don't finish this season on a low, let's try and show some pride B)
  • Options
    Just made a complaint to Valley Pass.  Nothing on the website about tomorrow's game or about people who have already paid for it (not sure if social media absence is still in place).  Also mentioned not showing our goal on Saturday and what a disgrace it was.  
  • Options
    We don't have a style of play. We are forever adapting our game plan to try to neutralise the opposition. If we were a good side, it would be the other way around.
    That means that we are forever changing the team around, and changing the way we play.
    Individually, we have some decent players, but half the time, they are either confused about their roles, or they are lacking confidence, because we rarely put in a confidence inspiring display.
    We should not be getting played off the park by the likes of Crewe!
  • Options
    So, a shit day at the office, as Nige say's we draw a line and go again Tuesday, fingers crossed for a better performance, and maybe result, just don't finish this season on a low, let's try and show some pride B)
    I'm not sure about this 'draw the line', 'go again' stuff. It doesn't suggest to me that they sit down, discuss who did what wrong in a direct honest fashion, and draw out a way to change it.

It sounds more like 'forget about it, nevermind, unlucky, Tuesday will be ok'
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Let’s face lady’s and Gentlemen we are a top 10 league one team.
    we know we will not beat Lincoln and Hull.
    as we are shite at home.
    now our owner if he wants to ever leave this horrible league will have to out his money where is passion is, and clear out all the average players we have.
    our new manager is not responsible for these average players, but he will have to change several.
  • Options
    Just made a complaint to Valley Pass.  Nothing on the website about tomorrow's game or about people who have already paid for it (not sure if social media absence is still in place).  Also mentioned not showing our goal on Saturday and what a disgrace it was.  

I purchased a match pass for the original fixture date - do I need to buy again?

No, fans who bought a match pass for the original date of Charlton v Lincoln (April 6th) should note that their match pass WILL still be valid for Tuesday's game. If you bought a pass for the original date, all you need to do is login using your normal credentials on matchday.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/608fde96c6ebf/get-your-live-streaming-pass-for-charlton-v-lincoln-city
  • Options
    I'm not sure about this 'draw the line', 'go again' stuff. It doesn't suggest to me that they sit down, discuss who did what wrong in a direct honest fashion, and draw out a way to change it.

It sounds more like 'forget about it, nevermind, unlucky, Tuesday will be ok'
    Maybe they do behind closed doors, where it should be done.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It was the lack of attempt to win the game that was most frustrating. Had we lost having a proper go, fair enough. I don't understand how we keep flogging the same horse for so long when it isn't working. 

We may see Adkins' worth when he builds the squad in the summer, but he has no flair in his approach to games for me. I don't think we truly went for it until injury time when it was too late. 

Our chance has almost certainly gone, but we have to at least try to win our next two. If we go out and try to beat Lincoln and lose doing so, I can accept that. If we go in scared of them and prioritising not being beat they can just F off as far as I am concerned. This is League One, it isn't unreasonable to expect us to try to beat teams! 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Adkins' use of subs so far is definitely open to criticism, imo. Opting not to use Schwartz vs Ipswich, Morgan for DJ possibly the wrong change plus late with bringing on Aneke and Washington vs Posh,  Morgan unused vs Crewe, Morgan and Shinnie left on the bench until 90+ minutes vs Accrington, Schwartz and Shinnie left off the bench in favour of defenders and players fit only for 10 or 15 minutes. All of this in matches where we had very little to lose and everything to gain. Again, if we compare with the much maligned Bowyer, for all his faults, he would definitely have been more proactive and attacking in his use of subs in those matches. I've been very frustrated by the relative inactivity from the dugout during our games under Adkins so far.

I know some of the options available to him (e.g. Schwartz) may not be the greatest in the world, but he's spoken like at times he has had no options to try and change things up and that has not been true. Personally, in the "must win" situation we've been in, I'd always favour trying something different that you suspect may not work vs. sticking with something that you know isn't working.
  • Options
    clive said:

I purchased a match pass for the original fixture date - do I need to buy again?

No, fans who bought a match pass for the original date of Charlton v Lincoln (April 6th) should note that their match pass WILL still be valid for Tuesday's game. If you bought a pass for the original date, all you need to do is login using your normal credentials on matchday.

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/608fde96c6ebf/get-your-live-streaming-pass-for-charlton-v-lincoln-city
    Yeah, they posted that 3 hours after my email. 
  • Options
    That was the worst performance from the Addicks in recent memory - I'm absolutely hating all of this outdated old fashioned long ball crap (and they want to charge £400+ for it!)

This season has been a massive miss due to the often stated fact that's it's been a very even league. When you now look to next season we could have a newly monied Sunderland, Wigan & Ipswich a still strong Wycombe and Rotherham plus either Sheffield Weds or Derby and an improving MK & Oxford. Even without the wage cap next season will be really tough IMO.

I wasn't a supporter of the Adkins appointment and I've not really seen a lot to change my mind tbh with the awful football and slow to react substitutions but I hope TS backs him now as we will need it. We are miles off top two and next season will likely be even harder.

I'd love to see us after Piggott, Mendes-Gomes, Dempsey and Graham for starters  
  • Options
    I feel our performance was poor, but the disappointment aspect is what seems to be clouding people's judgement and memories. Having witnessed the 6-0 at Hull City, we have had other very poor days at the office, so worst ever, I think not. This result was more about the anticlimactic position of having gone 10 games unbeaten, only to gain two points from the next 9. It's the hope that kills. 
    Yes, there have clearly been worse performances but it felt to me that we were waving the white flag.
  • Options
    Yes, there have clearly been worse performances but it felt to me that we were waving the white flag.

Worse results? Yes. Worse performances? No.
  • Options
    I think losing 6-0 is worse. But I do get your point. I am still fuming.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    At any point in this game did anyone get the impression that there was ANY urgency or desire on show to win what was a must win game ? if there was I must of missed it. As said before the result I can deal with, the attitude I cant
  • Options
    Looks a definate ;-) foul on Pratley in the build up.
    But that’s clutching. We’re the 8th best team in the third division. That’s where we are.
    Roll on a squad rebuild, signings not loan deals, a proper pre season and a style of play that we stick with throughout 21/22. 
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    At any point in this game did anyone get the impression that there was ANY urgency or desire on show to win what was a must win game ? if there was I must of missed it. As said before the result I can deal with, the attitude I cant
    Albie’s free kick?
    A shame we missed it in real time.
  • Options
    The foul on Pratley was one of those marginal ones you get sometimes and others not.
  • Options
    The foul on Pratley was one of those marginal ones you get sometimes and others not.
    Agreed, I would be really annoyed if it went against us.

I think the foul on Inniss for the Crewe equaliser was more clear cut.