Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Athletic v Hull City | Sun 9th May | 12noon | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Hull City
Sunday 9th May 2021 ... 12noon Kick-Off
Referee: Martin Coy

Once again we have the strange occurance of having a referee for both home and away fixtures this season. Martin Coy was the man in charge at the KC Stadium for Hull's 2-0 victory over Charlton earlier this year, and the man who sent off Darren Pratley... That game earned Coy a statbank ranking of: 3.86, the fourth lowest rating of the season.

Introduction
492 games played... 1,339 goals scored... Teams have travelled the bredth of the country, from Plymouth in the far South, to Sunderland in the far North. For much of the Division, the important proceedings have been decided, automatic promotion has been decided, champagne has been drank, down the bottom relegation too is done and dusted, tears have been shed - It would be boring though if League One had been completely decided before the final day, three teams are left fighting for one spot in the Play-Offs... time to see just which of those has the stomach for it.

The Opposition
Name: Hull City (Champions) | Manager: Grant McCann
Ground: KC Stadium
Previous Meeting: Hull City 2-0 Charlton Athletic

A bit like my preview against Peterborough I feel the need to eat a small slice of humble pie... A few times this season I've questioned if Grant McCann had the confidence in himself to be able to achieve promotion, he'd tried for five years and failed each time, both at Peterborough and Doncaster Rovers - On this occasion he's not just achieved promotion, yet also the league title. So Grant certainly deserves the plaudits for keeping his Hull side together after relegation, and having the ability to bounce back at the first opportunity, as we've seen in the past at this level its not an easy achievement, especially when you consider the potential issues Hull had to deal with in terms of their own Egyptian ownership.

For the Addicks this Sunday it doesnt just end what has been a difficult season, but what'll also be a difficult week... We ourselves have had the third best away record in the Division, yet we'll be ending our home campaign against the two teams directly above us in that particular form table, so before we even begin to worry about the tasks for Accrington and Burton, we must first worry about our own challenge here in South East London.

Hull themselves visit the Valley on Sunday afternoon with two players from the team of the season: Callum Elder (Left-Back) and George Honeymoon in Midfield the two players to watch out for in that respect... The Tigers form though is similar to that of Sunderland when we went North, they've not lost now for fourteen games, their last defeat on the road was a further five games back, a 1-0 loss at Burton Albion at the start of February.

As I said before Sunderland, runs always have to come to an end eventually, at least I hope.

Charlton Team News
After a few weeks of having no injuries, normality appears to be returning at Sparrows Lane; Diallang Jaiyesimi has been absent since departing against Peterborough United and with no news it will be surprising if we see him again this season... Jake Forster-Caskey joins him after it was confirmed that he had suffered a second ACL since joining Charlton, its certainly a bitter end to the year for someone who'll surely end up as Player of the Year.

Elsewhere though and it looks like we still have a plethora of players to choose from... No doubt everyone will be wanting to see Chuks Aneke from the start this Sunday afternoon, especially after linking with Jayden Stockley so well against Lincoln City. Nigel Adkins advised though that the decision will ultimately rest with the medical team, yet of course may well choose to gamble, after all there is no point holding your best players back when you need nothing sort of three points.

In midfield you'd surely expect Albie Morgan to come in, in place of the injured Forster-Caskey

Amos
Matthews - Inniss - Famewo - Maatsen
Morgan - Watson
Gilbey
Washington - Stockley - Millar

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer - Pearce - Gunter - Purrington - Shinnie - Pratley - Aneke

Prediction
I stopped predicting Charlton results a few seasons ago, partly because I never like to bet against the Addicks. Yet on this occasion it'll take an even braver man to predict not just what'll happen at the Valley but at Fratton Park and the Kassam Stadium too... Nottingham Forest showed last season how a six goal swing can steal you dreams and leave them trampled in the dust. Charlton last season had to deal with the blow of two teams getting unexpected results, a bit of redemption from that depressing July evening will be nice way to extend our season, even if just for two more games.

Echoing @Sage's comments from Tuesday night I would (see what I did there) like to thank everyone for continuing to put up with my jabbering for yet another season, I think you have to go back to 2014 to find my first gibberish preview... Hopefully this wont be my last of the season, if it is then myself and Sage will no doubt be back for 2021/22... Have a great summer.

Comments

• Options
    I see us either winning, drawing or losing this one, purely because of our inconsistency. 

I feel like a 1-0 win is on the cards. Morgan to assist Washington. 
  • Options
    Bollocks -  I hadn't realised this kicked of at noon. That's pissing 5 am here. Why do these bastards always have to mess around with kick-off times?

We always seem to play badly at unconventional kick-off times as well.
  • Options
    Bollocks -  I hadn't realised this kicked of at noon. That's pissing 5 am here. Why do these bastards always have to mess around with kick-off times?

Last game of the season is usually a 12 kick off isn't it?
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I haven't done extensive research but Rochdale in 2019 was 5:30 pm and last year I think Leeds was an evening match.

Regardless, why does it need to be noon this year? All the Championship games kickoff at 12:30 so now League One clashes with those and League two kicks-off at 3.
  • Options
    If we were away i'd fancy it, as we at home 1-1 draw and other results mean its irrelevant Oxford make the final spot in the playoffs :( 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

I haven't done extensive research but Rochdale in 2019 was 5:30 pm and last year I think Leeds was an evening match.

Regardless, why does it need to be noon this year? All the Championship games kickoff at 12:30 so now League One clashes with those and League two kicks-off at 3.

Championship games are being played tomorrow
  • Options
    2-0 win, reckon we will score early and will have to wait to see what happens at the other two grounds.
  • Options
    @ForeverAddickted thread title says Sat 9th May
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Dazzler21 said:

Championship games are being played tomorrow
    Thread title here says Saturday which confused me. So even less need for League one to all kickoff at noon because whatever time kickoff is on Sunday it’ll clash with a Premier League match. Even if I was still living in the UK, I’d still think it was stupid to have these kicking off at Noon - it’s never been a great time of day to watch football imho. 
  • Options
    @ForeverAddickted thread title says Sat 9th May
    Dont know what you mean ;)
  • Options
    Just for you FA

Honeyman to miss season finale

https://c.newsnow.co.uk/A/1078580889?-11197:833
  • Options
    ·
    A big thank you to @alpha_fwd who are sponsoring Sunday's final-day clash with the Tigers

• Options

• Options
    How many times have we played a promoted side last game of the season?

Leeds
    Burnley 
    I think Norwich one year
  • Options
    How many times have we played a promoted side last game of the season?

Leeds
    Burnley 
    I think Norwich one year
    Bournemouth as well
  • Options
    Many thanks FA for doing this all season. 
    As for this game I honestly think it's out of our hands. 
    We  could win five nil and still not make the playoffs. 
    22 games for 23 points fucked us this season. 
    Next season we will smash league one. 
    That's it.
  • Options
    They think it's all over. 

Because it is. 

Faux drama. Non event. 

• Options
    I have captured the fat lady and at the moment managing to stop her singing, but it is difficult  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A season to forget draws to a close. Hopefully an exciting summer watching a team being rebuilt. Not much chance on this game as I just cannot see either Oxford or Pompey slipping up. I am not sure we will get that win either. I did think several weeks ago that 74 points will get the play off and still think it will be enough, just that rotten goal difference. 1-1, honours even, rebuild and enjoy the summer.
  • Options
    Think we will win quite easy,2\0.They won't be that bothered as they are already Champions,the biggest worry is Pompey and Oxford,only one of these needs to win 
  • Options
    Atleast we have a last match of the season where in theory we have something to play for. In a way I hope it's over by halftime with either oxford or Portsmouth up 7 - 0 I'm not sure I can take another 96min extra time goal doing for us 🙄 

This season has been what it has. Tomorrow is the time to see it close, say goodbye to a fair few current players and the hopefully watch the rebuild and look forward to next season with eager anticipation.

I'm just gutted I didnt take that cash out option of £46.00 on us getting promoted 2 weeks ago when it was there 😂😂😂
  • Options
    Hoping that Nads doesnt change the team too much & start with 2 up front - if not Aneke with Stockley then Schwartz or Washington. No point fannying around now trying to protect anyone.

Wont be watching the match but instead will be following it all via Sky.....same as I did on Tuesday night so hoping for the same result 🙂.

However, like on Tuesday (where I predicted a 3-1 defeat) I'm not expecting a win. Like the ending to the film "A Bridge too Far", the musings will be why we fell just that little bit short.

It was Nijmegen  (Oxford penalty save)

It was the road to Nijmegen  (awful 10 week period after xmas)

It was the single track road to Nijmegen ( Bows team selection & subs)

0-2. Same ref as the match up there - same result. 

• Options
    edited May 2021
    I'm convinced we will win Saturday ?

Shame the game is at 12 on a Sunday against the champions. I just feel that the block tackle Chuks did in the box affected him before his second rash challenge where the 4th official listened to the defence lawyer Watson who convinced him to keep his cards in his pocket and give Aneke one last chance. 
    Washington should be good to play the full game now and replace Maatsen, who I like but unfortunately he is a liability in most positions he plays and on the right is just crazy.  
    Both Purrs and Ian may be exposed against Hull who ever gets the gig on the left.
    TBF to Ben, Lincoln was his first poor game since he got his two Cards when he was done for pace.

I said 7th when we kicked off the season as I knew injuries are mandatory at Charlton.
    No blame to any Medical staff from me.

So near yet so far from the play offs. Good to hear Nigel accept we have the oldest squad in League 1 and we need younger and fitter players. 
    Injuries happen but totally crazy the amount of times players in decent form get injured at Cafc over the last 3 seasons.

• Options
    We don't have enough to win this. We have lots of huff and puff, but it won't be enough to see us through. 
  • Options
    Not read  all commentsbut overriding everything is the thought we have got most of the shite out of our club, roland is still  a work in progress and thank god for TS. Remember where we were. We do have our club back. Fk the result. That is the important bit. Coyr!