Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Mullin is out of contract and might be worth a gamble. But as is obvious looking at his record this is the first season he's ever scored a good amount of goals. Even Tranmere didn't want him a year ago.

He could be a one season wonder like Ajose, or he could be the sort of striker Peterborough sign and everyone else wishes they'd taken the gamble instead. 
    Mullen a journey man why the big interest another Ajose 
  • Options
    What we need to find are those players who shone at smaller clubs in L1 who can step up when playing in a better team. Clarke-Harris for example looked decent for Bristol Rovers, but I never thought he would be so successful for Posh

Looking at the goal charts outside the Top 6
    Dion Charles, 19 for Accrington
    Vadaine Oliver, 17 for Gillingham
    Luke Jephcott, 16 for Plymouth
    Kane Hemmings, 15 for Burton

Or for assists
    Conor Grant, 11 for Plymouth
    Charlie Kirk, 8 for Crewe
    Tom Lowery, 8 for Crewe
    Jephcott not scored for 18 games 
  • Options
    Mullin is out of contract and might be worth a gamble. But as is obvious looking at his record this is the first season he's ever scored a good amount of goals. Even Tranmere didn't want him a year ago.

He could be a one season wonder like Ajose, or he could be the sort of striker Peterborough sign and everyone else wishes they'd taken the gamble instead. 
    Mullen a journey man why the big interest another Ajose 
    Unless he's a teenager never sign a striker based on one good season - bound to go wrong
  • Options
    Great news if we have signed Stockley imo. He made it very clear he wants to sign for us in his interview, he has bought into the clubs vision it seems. Even if another club came in for him surely players have the final say or is that not the case ?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Great news if we have signed Stockley imo. He made it very clear he wants to sign for us in his interview, he has bought into the clubs vision it seems. Even if another club came in for him surely players have the final say or is that not the case ?
    Only if the clubs can agree a fee.  
  • Options
    Yeah Stockley is a no brainer, I don't get why people wouldn't want to sign him. He's walked into the team and nearly got into double figures 
  • Options
    Piggott likely to be Championship next season.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Only if the clubs can agree a fee.  
    Be surprised if we pay more than 300K for him, they paid 750K when his stock (pardon the pun) was at it's highest, only has a year left on his contract and clearly isn't part of their plans.
  • Options
    Stockley would be a good start but we will still need to bring in a marquee striker too. I’ll be disappointed if we start next season with the strikers we current have. 
    I disagree, a marquee striker would be nice but Stockley is quality. Him and a well managed Aneke are about as good a target men as you'll find in League 1.

Some pace as an alternative would be nice but I can see us bringing in pacey wingers and maybe a true attacking midfielder like Szmodics.

Unless there's a bargain to be had like JCH was, a marquee striker will not come cheap and I'd argue that money would be better spent elsewhere when we already have top quality strikers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well pleased if we get Stockley.  Fantastic goal return since we got him on loan.  Felt the last few games that he needed more than DJ/Maatsen and Millar alongside, and there is an over reliance on knocking it long to him.  Get more balls in the box, he’s dangerous 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Piggott and Stockley upfront seem no brainers really assuming both are interested. 

Not really bothered if any of Gunter, Watson, Pearce, Pratley, Matthews all go. Keeping 1 or 2 for experience probably makes sense but I think all of them can be improved upon.
    Piggot ? No thanks . 
    Out of interest why no to Piggot (back up to Stockley) from what I can see if he's pretty mobile, can hold the ball up and has scored goals? And he's on a free with a point to prove
    Pigott would not be back up to Stockley, it would be the other way round if both were signed
  • Options
    Ideally we will play Stockley in a front two with a quicker player such as Washington to feed off his knock downs. I think getting Stockley allows us to have Chuks as a bench player who doesn't need to be able to start every game. Hope we re-sign Aneke as I don't think any club in the division will have a better impact sub. If he can get another 15 goals off the bench next season then that is well worth the price of him not being able to start.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Happy if we keep Stockley, he's the kind of player you need in the squad for the horrible games in this league, but don't see him as the starting striker in a 4231 (if indeed that's the formation Adkins is going to build around). 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    In my opinion this league is all about having youth, energy, and pace that's what make the difference in this slog of a league. There's a few things on the 'to do' list if I were Nige

1. Kindly ask Gunter & Watson to end their deals early explaining they won't play a part next season - and save us a rumored 10k per week
    2. Keep one of Pearce & Pratley around in player coach role clearly explained that they are back ups - good pro's with good experience
    3. Is there anyone in the Academy able to step up from the U23's I only see Henry personally
    4. See how much Norwich want for Famewo - it's our best chance to get him is this season as he won't play in the Prem but may in the Champ if they get relegated
    5. Sign Stockley you won't get much better at L1 level - they key is to get right players around him, so pacy, tricky inside forwards will be the most important signings we make this season - I expect Nige to go 1433 or 14231 next year
    6. Re-sign Amos / Matthews and JFC (he deserves it)

I've said before that I don't see TS throwing the cash around like some do (unless a Pope windfall comes in) but there are a lot of good players out of contract id' be looking at - Whatmough (Pompey) Garbutt (Blackpool) Louis Reed (P'Boro) Twine (Swin) Evans (Wigan) O'Nien & Wyke (Sund) Sorinola (MK) Piggot (AFC) Dempsey & Graham (Gills) 

If we do spend some money then Jorge Grant, Charlie Kirk, Adam Philips and Mendes-Gomes would all add some stardust on the squad.

I also expect the Ronnie experiment to be quietly swept under the table and for him to be released back to Scandi  
    Totally agree with Pearce or pratley or even both moving into play coach roles, I'd have to agree regarding Watson and Gunter. For me we need 

1x GK
    1xRb
    1xLb
    2xcb someone to partner inniss and a backup to him
    2x cm
    3x wingers that can play either side to add to DJ
    1x forward, I'd like Dion Charles from Accrington 
  • Options
    I reckon Stockley will be the next Charlton player to get 50 goals for our great club. 

• Options
    Long and Burke coming in from Hull is the rumour I have heard. 
    Burke would be an excellent signing.  Good mates with Josh Cullen :-) 
  • Options
    Wouldn't mind either of those. Long would mean possibly Amos is off? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Long in could mean Amos out then. Only made 8 league starts for Hull this season.

Burke a CB, a position we need at least 2 signings. Just over 30 starts, was he injured/suspended for part of the season or lost his place?
  • Options
    Doesn't Burke have a history of being injury prone? - good player but we really need to get away from signing brittle players like Jonny and Chuks etc.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Doesn't Burke have a history of being injury prone? - good player but we really need to get away from signing brittle players like Jonny and Chuks etc.
    Seems to avarage in the mid 30s which is pretty good. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I'd love to see AMB given a chance actually
    What ive seen of him at lower levels he is capable, and at an age now where he needs to start getting game time. 
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    You can afford to take a punt on an injury prone player if you have decent squad depth.

Now the cap is gone, I’m not going to say no to more bodies through the door.
  • Options
    The only thing with Inniss is we maybe want to have 5 centre halves in the squad with him around. He's got a history of injury and his one this season had him out for months. It will be interesting to see if Barker is that 5th player
  • Options
    Totally agree - I think TS would have to offer a sweetener and have them see if they can get another club but it would be great result for us to free up that budget. 

I'd want Matthews as back up RB and Watson no where near the team, he's just too slow an he can't move or run. 

But as you say I think we will be lumbered with them, maybe Watson retires? As you say both seem like good pro's so if they are in the squad and not playing it's not likely to be a distraction, just a waste of players and budget. Maybe it's telling that Gunter hasn't really had a look in and Adkins talked about the need for more energy and youth.
  • Options
    The only thing with Inniss is we maybe want to have 5 centre halves in the squad with him around. He's got a history of injury and his one this season had him out for months. It will be interesting to see if Barker is that 5th player
    I would quite like a Beilek type for that very reason.  Someone that's good enough at center half and midfield.  As opposed to a Pratley that could "do a job".

4 including someone that still has never managed more than 22 games in a season is dangerous at best.  Especially when the bookings start racking up. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!