Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Maybe Barker can take that spot playing between the first team and the U23's - providing a pathway and all that
  • Options
    Famewo, Maatsen and Millar will want Championship teams. How many will end up at Birmingham?
  • Options
    I would keep Matthews and Watson but let Gunter and Pratley go and bring in younger players at right back and centre midfield to challenge or be first choice ahead of Matthews and Gunter.

If Pearce stays I would hope he is more of a squad player next season than first choice. Same goes for Purrington. I think he has been stronger defensively than Maatsen but would be good to see someone who can combine that side of the game along with being strong going forward. Purrington is a perfectly adequate back up at L1 level.
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Famewo, Maatsen and Millar will want Championship teams. How many will end up at Birmingham?
    Probably none. Morale was lower than slug shit when Bowyer was in charge and they wouldn't have forgot that. 

If they came back here, yes the standard will be worse off than the Championship but least they will enjoy there football and in return maybe learn more. 
  • Options
    I think Long would enable MB to go out on loan and not mean Amos would leave.
  • Options
    Long and Burke coming in from Hull is the rumour I have heard. 
    Was this a reliable source? I'd actually love these two.

*prepares for sauce puns*
  • Options
    Cloudworm said:
    Well he won't be getting one.
  • Options
    None of us saw Bogle being moved on so swiftly and efficiently so I'm sure the club could attempt the same with Pratson and Gunter. 

Whether they're able to pull it off is another thing.
  • Options
    is Amos a good enough footballer for how we want to play?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As much as I'd love this to be true, that EFL Hub just launch any League One player in our direction. I'd find it hard to believe that Plymouth/Bristol would have the minerals to even attempt to compete with us for players. 
  • Options
    mendonca said:
    None of us saw Bogle being moved on so swiftly and efficiently so I'm sure the club could attempt the same with Pratson and Gunter. 

Whether they're able to pull it off is another thing.
    Watson moved here to be closer to family so I doubt if he will leave. I felt he has looked better with Gilbey and Morgan.

Would Gunter be tempted by his home town club Newport should they get promoted. Clearly we would have to subsidise it. I suspect he still lives near Reading so maybe Oxford or Wycombe. 

On the basis of being under contract I would keep him but I want Matthews tied down as first choice. 
  • Options
    Stockley would be a good start but we will still need to bring in a marquee striker too. I’ll be disappointed if we start next season with the strikers we current have. 
    I disagree, a marquee striker would be nice but Stockley is quality. Him and a well managed Aneke are about as good a target men as you'll find in League 1.

Some pace as an alternative would be nice but I can see us bringing in pacey wingers and maybe a true attacking midfielder like Szmodics.

Unless there's a bargain to be had like JCH was, a marquee striker will not come cheap and I'd argue that money would be better spent elsewhere when we already have top quality strikers.
    Top quality strikers !! I think they are decent in Stockley and Chuks when he’s fit but lose Stockley for a period through injury and what then ? Connor is a grafter but won’t fire us to promotion. Yes a proven goal scorer will cost but so will hanging around in league one. Like I said earlier a strike force of Stockley, Washington, Aneke and Schwartz looks thin to me if you want top two.
  • Options
    I would keep Matthews and Watson but let Gunter and Pratley go and bring in younger players at right back and centre midfield to challenge or be first choice ahead of Matthews and Gunter.

If Pearce stays I would hope he is more of a squad player next season than first choice. Same goes for Purrington. I think he has been stronger defensively than Maatsen but would be good to see someone who can combine that side of the game along with being strong going forward. Purrington is a perfectly adequate back up at L1 level.
    If Henry’s source is correct and Ferguson of Millwall is being looked at then he is comfortable at either left back or left wing. Played consistently at a higher level than league one and is a good age at 29. 
  • Options
    WARNING FORMATION AND SANTA LIST POST - NO RUMOURS

4 positions and types that are an absolute must are DM, CM, LCB, AM. 

Taking a look at Adkins' saints side in the prem he had 4 clear formations and times that he played them. 442, 433, 4231, 4141, assuming he'll want to recreate that then bring in the two types that we were missing this season - Bielik and Cullen - added to who we already have under contract and who we'd expect to retain and thats a good starting point.

AM - AM
    Gilbey - Morgan
    *Cullen* - JFC
    *Bielik* - Pratley/ Watson
    U23

Definitely need those two types of midfielders in as was shown this season when the Vennings / Pir-levitt midfield duo didn't quite outpass and play the opposition, because, league one (cough @Leuth cough cough  @Leuth)

A wide pacey forward type to play off a big man (Stockley) in the 2 and out wide in the 433.

Attacking midfielder who can play wide and central as reckon he'll only go with one out and out winger.

Pacey forward - although if we resign Aneke and Schwartz is still around then probably not likely.
    Stockley
    AM
    CM
    DM
    LCB
    RCB - if there's enough left to get someone in as first choice over Innis given his fitness then great, if not then adequate backup plus u23 
    GK - with AMB out on loan

Amos, Matthews, Purrington and JFC back 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Long and Burke coming in from Hull is the rumour I have heard. 
    Burke would be an excellent signing.  Good mates with Josh Cullen :-) 
    Talking of Cullen......I’ve kind of lost track.
    Not sure what he’s doing right now, could we get him back somehow?
  • Options
    Build our team around Vennings/Morgan and score 20-pass goals every game. I am very smart
  • Options

If Henry’s source is correct and Ferguson of Millwall is being looked at then he is comfortable at either left back or left wing. Played consistently at a higher level than league one and is a good age at 29. 
    We generally don't do transfer business with that lot. Better to keep it that way IMHO.
  • Options
    Stockley would be a good start but we will still need to bring in a marquee striker too. I’ll be disappointed if we start next season with the strikers we current have. 
    I disagree, a marquee striker would be nice but Stockley is quality. Him and a well managed Aneke are about as good a target men as you'll find in League 1.

Some pace as an alternative would be nice but I can see us bringing in pacey wingers and maybe a true attacking midfielder like Szmodics.

Unless there's a bargain to be had like JCH was, a marquee striker will not come cheap and I'd argue that money would be better spent elsewhere when we already have top quality strikers.
    Top quality strikers !! I think they are decent in Stockley and Chuks when he’s fit but lose Stockley for a period through injury and what then ? Connor is a grafter but won’t fire us to promotion. Yes a proven goal scorer will cost but so will hanging around in league one. Like I said earlier a strike force of Stockley, Washington, Aneke and Schwartz looks thin to me if you want top two.
    I stand by them being top quality for league 1. They're better than anyone Hull had at their disposal this season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We generally don't do transfer business with that lot. Better to keep it that way IMHO.
    Done plenty over the years.
  • Options

I stand by them being top quality for league 1. They're better than anyone Hull had at their disposal this season.
    And yet ….
  • Options
    I would like to see a new keeper bought in, not necessarily to replace Amos (who I'd be happy to keep) but to give him serious competition and let AMB go out on loan. I feel Amos actually benefits somewhat from having to prove himself and fight for his spot - when he went through a bad patch last season there was little credible competition apart from a very young and untested AMB whose own development could have suffered being thrown into those circumstances.
  • Options
    I don't really mind who, but I just hope that we can get one CM who can take control of a game, we can be so weak on that, having to rely on scoring on the break. Someone with skills approaching a Josh Cullen, although I appreciate that they are rare talents.
    And also someone with some pace up front, some who will stop an opposition being able to camp around our penalty box because they will always worry that one ball and he is in.
    We were close this year, we do not need much, and I hope we can find the right options.
  • Options

Not recently though. I could be mistaken, but I think McCleary in the early 90s was the most recent
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Eamon Dunphy, Harry Cripps, Nicky Johns, Phil Walker, Dave Mehmet & Mike Kelly have all joined us from Millwall.
  • Options
    edited May 2021

Not recently though. I could be mistaken, but I think McCleary in the early 90s was the most recent
    N guessen on loan in 2011/2. Technically, Ben Amos but as he was on loan to them from Bolton might not count.
  • Options
    I wonder if Schwartz will shuffle off back to Denmark this summer. Hard to imagine a worse start to his career with us so far.
  • Options
    Maccn05 said:
    Doesn't Burke have a history of being injury prone? - good player but we really need to get away from signing brittle players like Jonny and Chuks etc.
    Last 3 seasons has played 35, 37 and 37 games. Doesn't scream injury prone.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!