Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    I've been digging around in my puddings for years. Never found any proof. Not a scintilla. Its a crock of shit.

You should try eating it instead.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Also no Beadle or Kanu on the list both of whom are 17 I think so same age as some that are...
    James Beadle is an interesting one especially as he is an England international and PL clubs seem to be sniffing around. If we are saying that he isn't under any sort of contract we, presumably, have little protection so what incentive can we offer him to sign? We've seen how our other young keepers have had little action (AMB and Harness for example) and how difficult it is to even get them game time elsewhere on loan but going to a PL club opens up the options for him that much more i.e. his status goes up and Championship/ League 1 clubs might then take him on loan.

Equally, whilst his family are Charlton supporters, I can't help thinking that the fact that we let his older brother, Harry, go this year will only serve to reinforce any feeling that there is no sentiment in football,
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Something that ought to be asked to Gallen and Roddy next week. Having young Deji signed up to a long term deal should now be a priority.
    I'm sure they want him to sign a contract but i said on here a few weeks back that there were obviously issues and that his agent was probably shopping around.

As soon as Burstow got into the first team squad he signed a pro deal, yet months after Deji burst onto the scene in pre-season he still hasn't signed anything. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Also no Beadle or Kanu on the list both of whom are 17 I think so same age as some that are...
    Only explanation is both are 2nd year scholars and yet to turn pro, so won’t be included on the list. Surprising really as the club made Aaron Henry pro at 17, unsure why we’ve not done the same with these two and Deji. 
  • Options
    James Beadle is an interesting one especially as he is an England international and PL clubs seem to be sniffing around. If we are saying that he isn't under any sort of contract we, presumably, have little protection so what incentive can we offer him to sign? We've seen how our other young keepers have had little action (AMB and Harness for example) and how difficult it is to even get them game time elsewhere on loan but going to a PL club opens up the options for him that much more i.e. his status goes up and Championship/ League 1 clubs might then take him on loan.

Equally, whilst his family are Charlton supporters, I can't help thinking that the fact that we let his older brother, Harry, go this year will only serve to reinforce any feeling that there is no sentiment in football,
    All these kids have had their football education paid for by a potless L1 club as well as all the pastural care that goes in along the way.  The best in class may have the potential, like Gomez, Konsa and others before them to create a career giving them unbelievable wealth.

I do think the least they could do is sign their first professional contract, they owe the club that IMO and I for one would be very disappointed if they didn't.

They will know that each one that doesn't must make the likes of TS wonder if an academy is worth it so their actions could impact future kids chances.

As for someone like Deji he has a huge opportunity with us.  At 17 he has already got game time, he will likely get more this season and I would not be at all surprised if Innis remains injury prone and Deji carries on improving that he could be first choice next season.  At 18. As a CB.  Go to a PL club he will kick around with kids before being loaned out for 3,4 years+.

Gomez was a Rolls Royce with every club chasing him but realised the club had been good to him and gave back.

I hope this crop of kids do the same.
    And also was happy to sign a contract with a criminaly low release clause that Liverpool happened to be the only club that knew about it.

The agent always gets the blame but Joe could have said no.  Its never as clear cut. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

All these kids have had their football education paid for by a potless L1 club as well as all the pastural care that goes in along the way.  The best in class may have the potential, like Gomez, Konsa and others before them to create a career giving them unbelievable wealth.

I do think the least they could do is sign their first professional contract, they owe the club that IMO and I for one would be very disappointed if they didn't.

They will know that each one that doesn't must make the likes of TS wonder if an academy is worth it so their actions could impact future kids chances.

As for someone like Deji he has a huge opportunity with us.  At 17 he has already got game time, he will likely get more this season and I would not be at all surprised if Innis remains injury prone and Deji carries on improving that he could be first choice next season.  At 18. As a CB.  Go to a PL club he will kick around with kids before being loaned out for 3,4 years+.

Gomez was a Rolls Royce with every club chasing him but realised the club had been good to him and gave back.

And also was happy to sign a contract with a criminaly low release clause that Liverpool happened to be the only club that knew about it.

The agent always gets the blame but Joe could have said no.  Its never as clear cut. 
    True and the release clause was a massive shame but we got a decent fee which if players leave without signing at all is not the case.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

True and the release clause was a massive shame but we got a decent fee which if players leave without signing at all is not the case.
    I just think everyone puts the blame on the agent or the club but if the player really wanted to stay, or help the club out, they would.

The agent isn't going to dump a 17 year old that could be worth a fortune over their first contract.  If they do the player is better off without them anyway. 
  • Options
    the agent is there to open the players eyes to all the opportunities and negotiate the deals - its the players decision but will be based on the agents advice so the advice and the accuracy and motivation behind it is key 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I tend to agree but that is a fan's point of view its easy for us to say this - take James Beadle - He and family are big supporters but he's seen a very exp[erienced goalkeeping coach replaced by Ged Roddy's mate who was the millwall academy coach, he's seen AMB get a crap loan move where he is sitting on the bench and he is likely being offered a paltry deal which will be fractions of what he is likely being offered at a premier league club who will have top class coaching and access to very good loan opportunities. Thats the reality - his brother is doing well at Colchester and we will regret letting him go. 
    I know nothing of our new goalkeeping coach but was interested to hear Henderson speak highly of him in his recent interview.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I tend to agree but that is a fan's point of view its easy for us to say this - take James Beadle - He and family are big supporters but he's seen a very exp[erienced goalkeeping coach replaced by Ged Roddy's mate who was the millwall academy coach, he's seen AMB get a crap loan move where he is sitting on the bench and he is likely being offered a paltry deal which will be fractions of what he is likely being offered at a premier league club who will have top class coaching and access to very good loan opportunities. Thats the reality - his brother is doing well at Colchester and we will regret letting him go. 
    I know nothing of our new goalkeeping coach but was interested to hear Henderson speak highly of him in his recent interview.
    thats probably coz he's after his job !!!
  • Options

But that is the problem of the system and this is a two way street. James's brother could argue that he sacrificed a major part of his life to commit to training and playing with us only to be shown the door at the age of 18. Normally an apprentice has a job awaiting him at the end of it. Football doesn't and Harry is lucky because he's found a club. A lot more won't and don't have anything to fall back on. It's only because his brother and others are believed to be better players and offered contracts that we feel hard done by him not signing.

You also talk about Deji being loaned at by a PL club for 3 or 4 years. AMB signed for us at the age of 18. For 4 years he's been loaned out to other clubs and has yet, at the age of 22, to play a league game. Nick Pope didn't play a game for us 'til he was 22 either. Why shouldn't James Beadle do the same earning 10 times as much being at a PL club? Because history suggests that he won't play a game for us for another five years.

For that reason perhaps the Brentford system is the way forward.
  • Options

But that is the problem of the system and this is a two way street. James's brother could argue that he sacrificed a major part of his life to commit to training and playing with us only to be shown the door at the age of 18. Normally an apprentice has a job awaiting him at the end of it. Football doesn't and Harry is lucky because he's found a club. A lot more won't and don't have anything to fall back on. It's only because his brother and others are believed to be better players and offered contracts that we feel hard done by him not signing.

You also talk about Deji being loaned at by a PL club for 3 or 4 years. AMB signed for us at the age of 18. For 4 years he's been loaned out to other clubs and has yet, at the age of 22, to play a league game. Nick Pope didn't play a game for us 'til he was 22 either. Why shouldn't James Beadle do the same earning 10 times as much being at a PL club? Because history suggests that he won't play a game for us for another five years.

For that reason perhaps the Brentford system is the way forward.

I don't know the individual stories of these kids but their education with us is, in my view akin to going to university.  You are given the best tools and chance for success but no one promises you anything at the end.  Nowadays of course you have to pay for uni but on top of that, many ex graduates give serious monies back to their universities for the chances it afforded them in life and provide bursaries and help for future students.  It is a massive part of their funding.  Clubs produce wonderful players who become rich beyond their dreams and never give a single thing back to the very club that first have them that opportunity.  I think that is poor.

I have said on here before, for me the fairest way is an additional tax on players wages which goes to the club that supported them.  Set at a suitably high initial earning of course so not taxing those that end up in L1/2 and below whom frankly earn a moderate living out of the sport but once they are on something like a million a year.  Probably breaks all employment law though!
  • Options
    Always, always, always roll around until moist before attempting to root
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Tumbleweed GIF  Gfycat
    Tumbleweed is actually quite interesting. Doesn’t it uproot itself when it’s very dry, and then rolls around until ideally settling somewhere a bit more moist, at which point it takes root again? 
    Charlton Life right there.
    Always like to plant my root in the mostest available area. Don’t see why that’s funny 😄 
  • Options
    Okay, now we close it
  • Options
    Any murmurings that we might get a target man free agent striker as back up to Stockley? Or is that us done until Jan? 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Any murmurings that we might get a target man free agent striker as back up to Stockley? Or is that us done until Jan? 
    Nigel said we were done until January. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    Nope. It’s confirmed we’re done till January 
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    We cant... Squad is at the limit
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    Nope. It’s confirmed we’re done till January 
    Honestly unless we get some truly awful luck with injuries I think we've done okay. A like for like Stockley back up would have been beneficial but I don't see it as essential.

Come January we can reassess the squad and the situation again.

• Options
    No we’ve done well. I was just asking if it was possible as lost the thread of this....thread 
  • Options
    We have plenty of options in the squad of 22 up front, in Stockley, Washington, Davison, Ronnie and indeed Lee. If we want another person up front we'd need to sacrifice one of the existing players first, with Ronnie the obvious one...
  • Options
    Seems like this thread has run it's course, turn the lights off and lock up AFKA, see you all again Jan B)
  • Options
    Get well soon Steve, think you have done a pretty good job.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!