Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    So that’s one free agent. That may be the last of our business until January but let’s assume we’re after another based on Cawley’s tweet…

It has to be a striker or a keeper doesn’t it? I’m focusing in on the former, given what Adkins said about the emergency loan system for goalkeepers.

Realistic options…

Connor Wickham (?)
    Kazaiah Sterling
    Nicky Ajose
    Jerome Sinclair
    Kieran Agard
    Calvin Andrew
    David Nugent
    Steve Davies
    Ishmael Miller
    Simon Cox
    Anthony Stokes
    Yaya Sanogo
    Oumar Niasse
    Maxime Biamou
    I'm not sure if we find out the squad but it will be intriguing. Dempsey and JFC missing out seems obvious and leaves us with a full squad. If we are after another outfield player (agree it would be a striker) then it surely means Schwartz is the third and final player not to be named which would be very interesting. Personally I do think he'll be included and we won't be signing another outfield player. 

Agreed, unless it's an under 21. I've said this before, but I do feel that our transfer business has left us a bit tied by the squad number rules, seeing that everyone we've brought in is over 21. Ronnie hasn't gone anywhere, surely we should try and get him fit in the next few months, seeing that we are paying him

And I'm intrigued what happens when JFC is fit. If we include him from January, then someone will have to come out. 
    I'm surprised we didn't sign someone aged 20/21 who didn't count towards the cap. Of course those players generally come at a premium and it's quite possible we tried. 

I still think we'll be ok though. If you presume JFC and Dempsey miss out, we have:
    MacGillivray/Harness - emergency loan if needed
    Matthews/Gunter/Purrington/Souare
    Inniss/Famewo/Lavelle/Pearce
    Dobson/Watson/Arter/Clare/Morgan/Gilbey/Lee
    Kirk/DJ/CBT/Leko
    Stockley/Washington/Davison/Schwartz

We have reached the limit and with JFC hopefully returning in January, as you say someone will have to drop out. You'd expect it will be like for like with a CM dropping out otherwise we're overloaded in that position. But you also have Schwartz who could go and CBT is out of contract as it stands. 

I think the balance is decent, even if not perfect. Players have to prove their worth and then it will be another balancing act, albeit on a smaller scale, come January. 
  • Options
    So that’s one free agent. That may be the last of our business until January but let’s assume we’re after another based on Cawley’s tweet…

It has to be a striker or a keeper doesn’t it? I’m focusing in on the former, given what Adkins said about the emergency loan system for goalkeepers.

Realistic options…

Connor Wickham (?)
    Kazaiah Sterling
    Nicky Ajose
    Jerome Sinclair
    Kieran Agard
    Calvin Andrew
    David Nugent
    Steve Davies
    Ishmael Miller
    Simon Cox
    Anthony Stokes
    Yaya Sanogo
    Oumar Niasse
    Maxime Biamou
    A few more options…

Josh Parker
    Mikael Ndjoli
    Guy Melamed
    Collin Quaner
  • Options
    Also available is Nadir Ciftci…
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Good blog on our window and a bit on what other clubs in the league have done. Although it’s already out of date with the signing of Souare.
  • Options
    Four undisclosed fees puts us joint second alongside Wigan and Lincoln… looks like the bulk of everyone else’s business was done through free transfers and loans.
  • Options
    The other possibility is that Charlton expect the PFA to win their dispute with the EFL and have the squad cap either increased or removed completely.

Bit of a gamble if so.
  • Options
    I could see one of Dobson or Clare going on loan in January if they’re not getting game time and JFCs recovery is on track.
  • Options
    It might be later than we (and probably NA) wanted but the squad looks a lot better at least on paper now. I think the international break came in at a good time for us. Ever the optimist and there are a shed load of matches still to be played.
  • Options
    For all the talk of Adkins wanting to give youth a chance, we've ended up with a pretty full squad, with too many over 21s to register then all, and few opportunities for young players to get a game

Harsh

Morgan has played, Deji has played, Harness on the bench and we have other young players on the fringes. Davison and did well in the pizza cup if not in the league cup.

We need the experienced players to guide what is still a young squad. Famewo is 22, DJ not much more, Kirk is 23 or 24. Clare and Dobson aren't ancient either.
    Because they had to. They probably won't play that much now unless we get injuries.
  • Options
    For all the talk of Adkins wanting to give youth a chance, we've ended up with a pretty full squad, with too many over 21s to register then all, and few opportunities for young players to get a game

Harsh

Morgan has played, Deji has played, Harness on the bench and we have other young players on the fringes. Davison and did well in the pizza cup if not in the league cup.

We need the experienced players to guide what is still a young squad. Famewo is 22, DJ not much more, Kirk is 23 or 24. Clare and Dobson aren't ancient either.
    Because they had to. They probably won't play that much now unless we get injuries.
    I think Morgan will, he’s ahead of Clare and Dobson, and Arter will play ahead of Watson. Lee will play higher up. Main question is whether Adkins play Lee and Gilbey together once the latter is available.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scoham said:

Harsh

I think Morgan will, he’s ahead of Clare and Dobson, and Arter will play ahead of Watson. Lee will play higher up. Main question is whether Adkins play Lee and Gilbey together once the latter is available.
    That's a big question, I put the rivival of Gilbey down to a change of position/system last season.  It would be intresting how he goes as one of the 6s.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I could see one of Dobson or Clare going on loan in January if they’re not getting game time and JFCs recovery is on track.
    Why Dobson done more then enough to be a first team choice and Clare can play number of roles 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Why Dobson done more then enough to be a first team choice and Clare can play number of roles 
    Morgan would be the one to go out on loan after his early season form 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Harsh

Morgan is already an established member of the first team squad - he's played 78 games for us, which in the absence of JFC and Pearce is the most in the squad! -  which is why I don't count him when talking about "bringing through" academy players anyway.

Realistic options…

Connor Wickham (?)
    Kazaiah Sterling
    Nicky Ajose
    Jerome Sinclair
    Kieran Agard
    Calvin Andrew
    David Nugent
    Steve Davies
    Ishmael Miller
    Simon Cox
    Anthony Stokes
    Yaya Sanogo
    Oumar Niasse
    Maxime Biamou
    I'm not sure if we find out the squad but it will be intriguing. Dempsey and JFC missing out seems obvious and leaves us with a full squad. If we are after another outfield player (agree it would be a striker) then it surely means Schwartz is the third and final player not to be named which would be very interesting. Personally I do think he'll be included and we won't be signing another outfield player. 

Agreed, unless it's an under 21. I've said this before, but I do feel that our transfer business has left us a bit tied by the squad number rules, seeing that everyone we've brought in is over 21. Ronnie hasn't gone anywhere, surely we should try and get him fit in the next few months, seeing that we are paying him

And I'm intrigued what happens when JFC is fit. If we include him from January, then someone will have to come out. 
    I'm surprised we didn't sign someone aged 20/21 who didn't count towards the cap. Of course those players generally come at a premium and it's quite possible we tried. 

I still think we'll be ok though. If you presume JFC and Dempsey miss out, we have:
    Kirk/DJ/CBT/Leko

We have reached the limit and with JFC hopefully returning in January, as you say someone will have to drop out. You'd expect it will be like for like with a CM dropping out otherwise we're overloaded in that position. But you also have Schwartz who could go and CBT is out of contract as it stands. 

I think the balance is decent, even if not perfect. Players have to prove their worth and then it will be another balancing act, albeit on a smaller scale, come January. 
    It would be slightly bizarre to lose a winger or striker just to fit in another midfielder, when we already seem to have too many! 

The rules do affect how you think. It amused me when people said that Morgan should be loaned out when he's the one player we don't want to loan out this season, because he counts as an under 21 AND a home produced player, thus ticking 2 EFL boxes
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Morgan is the only one of those three not to have been dropped this season
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Because we’ve since signed Arter and Lee meaning unless we have a few injuries some CMs will get limited game time.

My prediction is it’ll be those two who miss out more than Morgan - so far he’s has kept his place and improved playing in a deeper role which he’s better suited to. As already said he also counts as an u21 player, the other two don’t.

Very early though and I’m not ruling anyone out from improving and becoming a regular starter. I just think Clare and Dobson will most likely be squad players, it’s unlikely a top L1 player was hidden away as back up at Sunderland or as a right back at Oxford. Of course I’d be happy for them to prove me wrong.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    He will be now and I think he probably should have been already.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Scoham said:
    And the only one who cost us points …. 
    I dont know why I'm bothering but did you not watch the MK game when Dobson dived out of position for their first goal?

Or where Clare just allowed that game to pass him by?

Even against Wigan I dont really recall Morgan costing us points for their two goals...?
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Harsh

Morgan is already an established member of the first team squad - he's played 78 games for us, which in the absence of JFC and Pearce is the most in the squad! -  which is why I don't count him when talking about "bringing through" academy players anyway.

Realistic options…

Connor Wickham (?)
    Kazaiah Sterling
    Nicky Ajose
    Jerome Sinclair
    Kieran Agard
    Calvin Andrew
    David Nugent
    Steve Davies
    Ishmael Miller
    Simon Cox
    Anthony Stokes
    Yaya Sanogo
    Oumar Niasse
    Maxime Biamou

Kirk/DJ/CBT/Leko

It would be slightly bizarre to lose a winger or striker just to fit in another midfielder, when we already seem to have too many! 

The rules do affect how you think. It amused me when people said that Morgan should be loaned out when he's the one player we don't want to loan out this season, because he counts as an under 21 AND a home produced player, thus ticking 2 EFL boxes
    That person was Ronnie Moore...

I do make you right about the winger/striker, just saying CBT could go because he's due to leave (of course subject to change or we could replace him). Same with Schwartz, I hope we'd replace him but I don't think anybody would be surprised if he leaves the club in January. You would think it would be a CM to make way for JFC, lot of football to be played until then so we've got time to assess. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I dont know why I'm bothering but did you not watch the MK game when Dobson dived out of position for their first goal?

Even against Wigan I dont really recall Morgan costing us points for their two goals...?
    I was going to post the same reply. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Glutton for punishment mate
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We were always going to get a left back on loan, we didn't because we got Lee instead.  The reason we only have 4 loans is so we can get an emergency loan keeper, if we need one.

I have been told we had a premier league left back loan lined up but it depended on Ater signing or not.

No idea what the free transfer market is like for center mids but I think we went the right way? 
    No disrespect intended but I don’t believe this. Lee was the second loan signing and Arter the third so we could easily still have signed the LB as the 4th loan signing. Leko came about late so not convinced we cancelled the loan of a LB for Leko. I believe we’d have gone for the LB and then maybe targeted an attacking player on a free if necessary. If the LB was dependant on Arter I struggle to see why we were happy with 3 loan signings on deadline day afternoon and still short a left back. 
    Maybe the management weren't happy though ..... you can be sure the players subsequently brought in weren't the only targets or even 1st choice.

Put yourself in Steve Gallen's shoes. I think most of us have little idea of the challenges and stress of trying to get signings over the line.

• Options
    Oggy Red said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We were always going to get a left back on loan, we didn't because we got Lee instead.  The reason we only have 4 loans is so we can get an emergency loan keeper, if we need one.

I have been told we had a premier league left back loan lined up but it depended on Ater signing or not.

No idea what the free transfer market is like for center mids but I think we went the right way? 
    No disrespect intended but I don’t believe this. Lee was the second loan signing and Arter the third so we could easily still have signed the LB as the 4th loan signing. Leko came about late so not convinced we cancelled the loan of a LB for Leko. I believe we’d have gone for the LB and then maybe targeted an attacking player on a free if necessary. If the LB was dependant on Arter I struggle to see why we were happy with 3 loan signings on deadline day afternoon and still short a left back. 
    Maybe the management weren't happy though ..... you can be sure the players subsequently brought in weren't the only targets or even 1st choice.

Put yourself in Steve Gallen's shoes. I think most of us have little idea of the challenges and stress of trying to get signings over the line.

Agreed. I'm led to believe Souare trained with the club for the first time before deadline day so I think that changed things which I absolutely feel was the right thing to do with. 

I think Gallen and indeed all the Management team had an incredibly difficult task. Going into deadline day you could argue we needed a GK, LB, CB, CM and Striker. We got Lavelle, Arter and Leko, plus they explained the GK situation and now we have Souare. I'm not criticising but the only signing I'm slightly surprised about is Leko. With Washington, Lee and Claydon able to cover DJ, Kirk and CBT, I think we would have been signing an out of out striker. Like I said not criticising, I have no idea who that player could have been and I'm excited to see Leko. Just looking at the balance and the continued absence of Schwartz it would have been made more sense. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Scoham said:

Harsh

Gilbey and Lee both played in the same Colchester team, Lee at 10 and Gilbey in 8 so not much of a conundrum for NA as both have played in the same starting 11 in the past. 

I think Gilbey is seen as a more box to box midfielder than an all out number 10 so I don’t think there will be an issue as long as we have Arter/Watson sitting. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Harsh

Morgan won't be first choice and potentially not even second choice in any of the 3 midfield positions.

DM - Arter, Watson, Dobson
    CM - Gilbey, then between Clare/Morgan
    AM - Lee, then potentially Leko?

So realistically Morgan won't play much unless we get a few injuries/suspensions.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!