Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Leuth said:
    The idea that there was no one better available during the summer window I find very difficult to believe. 
    Shall we wait and see him play maybe 
    He should start saturday as he's been with us for weeks, so we won't have to wait long. 
    I’m sure if he’s not starting, you’ll be here moaning by 14:01.
    Signing a player not fit to start, to cover an injured player would seem to be a bit of a puzzling decision no? 
    If the recruitment team believe he’s the best available left back from all available free agents, I guess they’ll be okay with Gunter continuing for a while in that position, until Purrington or Souare are ready to start. Agreed it’s not perfect, but also not a disaster. 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    The idea that there was no one better available during the summer window I find very difficult to believe. 
    He should start saturday as he's been with us for weeks, so we won't have to wait long. 
    Signing a player not fit to start, to cover an injured player would seem to be a bit of a puzzling decision no? 
    If you constantly live on planet short term, yes.
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    Did you mean 15.01, or was it 14th Jan 2022... B)
    Haha team will be announced at 2pm though 
    Touche.. B)....
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    I really can't believe this is your response to signing a LB after the way you've been banging on in the Ged Roddy thread. 
    I can very well believe it.  Some of it is proper tin foil hat stuff. 
  • Options
    Purrington should be fit by Saturday as well. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    I really can't believe this is your response to signing a LB after the way you've been banging on in the Ged Roddy thread. 
    And I can't believe you can't believe the response he posted.
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:

Well that puts the Roddy conspiracy to bed.  Welcome Souare.
    There was never any just idiots trying to make something out of nothing 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tell us who was better &available for no fee?
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Leuth said:
    One of life's complainers.
    Unhappy about most things.
  • Options
    In fairness I'm surprised we didn't go in for one on loan. If U21, they wouldn't have counted towards the squad cap plus we've only got 4 loanees so no issues with matchday squads. Wouldn't have been my first choice with injury record but clearly got some talent and has been training with us. Minor question marks over keeper and striker but this was the one position I think we should really have got during the window so very pleased to see the deal done. 
  • Options
    I'd have preferred a PL loanee youngster for that position, if nothing else so that he didn't use up a squad place, as we've got too many players now
    2 will have to miss out, surely Dempsey and JFC but wouldnt be surprised if one is Schwartz either. 
  • Options
    PWADDICK said:

Well that puts the Roddy conspiracy to bed.  Welcome Souare.
    There was never any just idiots trying to make something out of nothing 
    Thanks Ged.
  • Options
    In fairness I'm surprised we didn't go in for one on loan. If U21, they wouldn't have counted towards the squad cap plus we've only got 4 loanees so no issues with matchday squads. Wouldn't have been my first choice with injury record but clearly got some talent and has been training with us. Minor question marks over keeper and striker but this was the one position I think we should really have got during the window so very pleased to see the deal done. 
    I'd be staggered if within Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal etc there wasn't an U21 we could have signed in July/August before the season started on loan. After all we didn't do badly with DaSilva or Maatsen.
  • Options
    Think under 21 loanees do count towards the squad cap but I could be wrong. 
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    Think under 21 loanees do count towards the squad cap but I could be wrong. 
    You are. I thought the same but when I did some research it was only for Champ clubs where that applied. 
  • Options
    I'd have preferred a PL loanee youngster for that position, if nothing else so that he didn't use up a squad place, as we've got too many players now
    2 will have to miss out, surely Dempsey and JFC but wouldnt be surprised if one is Schwartz either. 
    And all 3 if we are looking to bring in a free agent striker!

• Options
    Clarky said:
    And all 3 if we are looking to bring in a free agent striker!

Church
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    paulfox said:
    I still say Aneke is one of the most over rated players I’ve seen in a Charlton shirt, particularly  from the fans perspective, for the record I was saying this whilst he was scoring goals off the bench etc., so not sour grapes, in fact I was chuffed he went!!😂.maybe an unpopular opinion but hey🤷🏻‍♂️. ( I genuinely didn’t get any joy in watching him play). 
    Me neither, it used to really piss me off when he came on and scored most games.
    I did mention I didn’t enjoy to watch him play, which is my prerogative, but thanks for the smartarse reply.very sorry if my view isn’t the same as yours.
  • Options
    There are 2 issues with getting a prem loan in.

1) The parent club will expect th to play whilst it looks like NA is keen on Purrington being first choice when fit

2) The club is clearly changing tact and doesn't want to fill the team with prem loans and have to rebuild every summer. Most of the loans we have look like they would be signable next year (though some only if we go up obviously). The clear plan going forward is loans will be used for cover or to fill out the last squad places, not as first choice players who then need replacing every year.

There's also the aim of developing and adding value to our own players rather than doing it for other clubs every season.
    I certainly think the first one is a very valid point. However, Leko will compete for a spot and Famewo, Arter and Lee are players you'd expect to play regularly (appreciate we're looking at a perm deal for Famewo). Arter, like Souare is 31 so I'm not sure signing Souare over a prem loan deal really fits with that. 

I think it's just probable that no suitable left back was available when we've got one for free. If we had the opportunity to sign Maatsen again, I think we'd have taken it. Can't argue with that and completely back the management team. 
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    I also suspect that Souare's wages are less than even a Premier U21 player is on and we'd be responsible for.

Also no loan fee.
    Exactly this. Maatsen was on 8k a week and you would expect most top U21 players at the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc to all be on way more than your average league one player.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!