Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Haha ok might have misread that slightly. my view is this seems a gamble there’s a number of players in there wii could go either way, it seems a failed convulsive strategy, and not how the team was intended to look. 

I don’t think we have the attacking edge we had last season, players like Aneke or Millar nor can I see NA getting as much out of players (until the wheels came off) that Bowyer did.

• Options
    Must admit I was surprised to realise Washington got into double figures, most of the time he seems like he can hit a barn door.
  • Options
    razil said:
    Haha ok might have misread that slightly. my view is this seems a gamble there’s a number of players in there wii could go either way, it seems a failed convulsive strategy, and not how the team was intended to look. 

I don’t think we have the attacking edge we had last season, players like Aneke or Millar nor can I see NA getting as much out of players (until the wheels came off) that Bowyer did.

We haven’t got an attacking edge like Aneke, no chance, but from the attacking players we do have, we have replaced Millar. Kirk, Leko, and Lee all together will contribute more than Millar I am certain of it. Millar was very good for us, but I am sure the players I have mentioned can and will also be very good for us too.
  • Options
    razil said:

I'll agree that having Aneke to replace or come on to partner Stockley was a huge plus. Cannot agree about Millar, was a decent player but we've got Leko, Kirk and CBT as well as Lee. We're going to play in a different way so I think you have to look at things differently. Under Bowyer we were starting Stockley and Washington with Aneke on the bench, this season we could well start with 3 AM/Wingers behind Stockley and still have 2/3 on the bench. We were one dimensional last season in my opinion because we lacked options other than Aneke. Of course he was so good that losing him was a blow, but I think it's totally wrong to say that it ends our chances, we will play a different style and we have the different options to do so. 
  • Options
    The beautiful thing is the season is so early, the transfer window so freshly slammed and League One being as it is we have no idea.  All of Razils comments about players individually have some fairness/merit but can equally be spun around to positives.  Arter, way too good for L1 or unable to get into a shit Notts Forest team heading to L1 rapidly?  Really who knows.  He could be great, he could keep Watson company?  

So many of our signings are like that in terms of not really knowing if they will be good or bad I have no idea if we will be challenging top 6 or hovering around lower mid table throughout.

Hopefully makes for an enjoyable journey, win, lose or draw.
  • Options
    Richard J said:
    Acworth not happy on Twitter when I told him Zeki Fryers is probably joining Stockport.

He is posting conspiracy theories about Roddy. 
    Fact he joining Stockport tells you his level …..
  • Options
    razil said:
    All seems like not enough goals in the team to me, and too many gambles: Arter (past it?) Leko (not recovered form after major injury) Lee (a loan from a bottom championship side where he was surplus) a failed prospect who fell out of a League 2 team on a short contract, only 2 players of the recent haul being of the possible standard we might have expected. 

All smacks of a window that really didn’t go to plan, a failed strategy that is either malfunctioning, underfunded, badly flawed or all of the above. A desperate scramble at the end and even then still not resourced that well. Would be surprised if we get near the top six personally, but then maybe all were interested in is clean sheets.
    Still trying to work out if this is WOOSH bait or not, maybe il run a poll.
  • Options
    razil said:
    All seems like not enough goals in the team to me, and too many gambles: Arter (past it?) Leko (not recovered form after major injury) Lee (a loan from a bottom championship side where he was surplus) a failed prospect who fell out of a League 2 team on a short contract, only 2 players of the recent haul being of the possible standard we might have expected. 

All smacks of a window that really didn’t go to plan, a failed strategy that is either malfunctioning, underfunded, badly flawed or all of the above. A desperate scramble at the end and even then still not resourced that well. Would be surprised if we get near the top six personally, but then maybe all were interested in is clean sheets.
    Surely you're just after some cheap LOL's with this post
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited September 2021
    razil said:

The thing is we are a third division club buying in the bargain basement (Lidl, Aldi, yellow ticket area)  looking at the close to expired, slightly damaged, odd, unpopular and untried and tested items looking for the odd gem, If we were shopping in the M&S and Waitrose part of the league, with proven, consistent quality, and popular requisites we wouldn't be able to afford them and they wouldn't want to come to us anyway.
  • Options
    One more goal than every team we play will do for me. Personally I don’t see goals as a massive problem this season.

Lose Stockley and things could be tricky.
    Adkins would have to change his system.

Now we have brought in players that add flexibility, it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt to a different but effective gameplan.

• Options
    edited September 2021
    Oggy Red said:
    One more goal than every team we play will do for me. Personally I don’t see goals as a massive problem this season.

Lose Stockley and things could be tricky.
    Adkins would have to change his system.

Now we have brought in players that add flexibility, it shouldn't be too difficult to adapt to a different but effective gameplan.

I think Adkins' is probably smart enough to know that if Stockley is injured he couldn't just put Washington or Leko into the same role and expect it to work the same way.

He has a preferred system for sure (most managers do) but I don't think he's on the Robinson level of only having one he will/can ever use.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    esseffect said:
    I work in recruitment, this happens a lot… sadly 
    If that had ever happened to me and I knew about it I would tell the employer to roundly get stuffed simply because one would always  be thinking,'What do they think of me and a small error in something would be undermining to say the least. 

In the outside world it would be great to tell a prospective employer to do one, maybe some have been in that scenario, until reality sets in and you realise it is your bread and butter you are gambling with, I am sure Lavelle wanted to join us and was prepared to wait, i'm afraid in the football world that is the nature of the beast, as Greavsie said "Its a funny old game" B)
    Main thing is he has signed and we have a young hungry player on our hands who actually wanted to come and join the club.
  • Options
    Wouldn't be surprised if we were half expecting Wigan to guzump us on the Kerr deal and accordingly we have a plan B
    What I posted on deadline day.

I'd heard that we had someone in reserve, we now know it Lavelle, in case Kerr was nicked off us and so it proved.

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Very reassured by how annoyed Gareth Ainsworth sounded by us taking Lavelle from them on deadline day
    "we are bigger than Wycombe"
  • Options
    razil said:

But you can’t just exclude the period where the wheels fell off. That’s the whole downside of having a manager with poor man management skills. 
    Also don’t agree about the transfer window. For a team in League One, with reasonable budgetary constraints, I think it’s been a very good one. Yes, there are a number of players that ‘could go either way’, but when has that ever not been the case? Happens from the Premier League downwards. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    razil said:

Oh dear……🗑
  • Options
    Gillis said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    mart77 said:
    Madger Gomes who was on trial with us, before moving on has signed a two year deal at Crewe.
    Given their performance and how things look in general at Crewe, I think it's fair to say that him being good enough for Crewe is proof he is not good enough for us (or at least, where we want to be.)
    Then one could say the same about Charlie Kirk.  He was there a while.
    You could say it but Crewe look much poorer this season than they have for a long time having lost a lot of their best players over the past few seasons - including Kirk. He was part of a good Crewe team, Gomes seems to have joined a sinking ship.
    True but you did say being good enough for Crewe makes Gomes unsuitable for Charlton.  That then must apply to Kirk or Lowery. Gomes like one of the Crewe players scored twice ,iirc, against Charlton last year.
    It's @thenewbie's fault for not being clear and putting his comment in context. If he'd wanted to avoid any misunderstanding, he could've just stuck something at the front along the lines of,

"Given their performance and how things look in general at Crewe..."

If he'd wanted to make it really unambiguous, he could've gone as far as to add something at the end like,

"...(or at least, where we want to be.)"

Some posters don't help themselves when they fail to articulate their thoughts clearly.
    It is easy done. I do it sometimes typing on a mobile.  However then not admitting it and producing another argument is annoying. 
    Do we tell him? I feel like we probably should but it might be upsetting.
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    We still keep going on about not enough goals in the team and not replacing Aneke.

Personally I think we have replaced him with Elliott Lee. Yes Aneke was unique by getting his off the bench but his record was 15 in a 46 game season. Lee got 6 in 18 in L1 last season, his record at Luton was averaging around 3.5. Lee is just as capable of getting into double figures as Aneke would have been by replicating last season's form. Stockley will score more than 8 in a full season and I fully expect both Leko and Kirk to get more than Millar.

Washington may have limited game time so getting 11 like last season might be stretching it but wouldn't be surprised if he and DJ get more between them this season than they did last. 
    Maybe Washington makes most of his appearances from the bench, when his movement and workrate undermines tiring defences?

I wouldn't even measure Washington's contribution purely by his own goals scored/assists statistics - especially his contribution as a team player, enabling others to score goals.

I doubt he'd score from the bench the 15 goals that Aneke did.
    But he could enable others to score an equivalent number collectively.

• Options
    Clarky said:
    We still keep going on about not enough goals in the team and not replacing Aneke. Personally I think we have replaced him with Elliott Lee. Yes Aneke was unique by getting his off the bench but his record was 15 in a 46 game season. Lee got 6 in 18 in L1 last season, his record at Luton was averaging around 3.5. Lee is just as capable of getting into double figures as Aneke would have been by replicating last season's form. Stockley will score more than 8 in a full season and I fully expect both Leko and Kirk to get more than Millar. Washington may have limited game time so getting 11 like last season might be stretching it but wouldn't be surprised if he and DJ get more between them this season than they did last. 
    Aneke's goals per minutes on the pitch was what made him such an asset. Lee isn't an impact sub in the same way, his 6 in 18 was 6 in 15 starts and 3 sub appearances
  • Options
    What did Ainsworth say about Lavelle? 
  • Options
    Clarky said:
    We still keep going on about not enough goals in the team and not replacing Aneke. Personally I think we have replaced him with Elliott Lee. Yes Aneke was unique by getting his off the bench but his record was 15 in a 46 game season. Lee got 6 in 18 in L1 last season, his record at Luton was averaging around 3.5. Lee is just as capable of getting into double figures as Aneke would have been by replicating last season's form. Stockley will score more than 8 in a full season and I fully expect both Leko and Kirk to get more than Millar. Washington may have limited game time so getting 11 like last season might be stretching it but wouldn't be surprised if he and DJ get more between them this season than they did last. 
    Aneke's goals per minutes on the pitch was what made him such an asset. Lee isn't an impact sub in the same way, his 6 in 18 was 6 in 15 starts and 3 sub appearances
    But at the same time, at least in the pre January, you need to add in the minutes of whoever played the first 30-60 minutes, because they didn't score.  If that's Bogle, Smyth or someone else.

Individually Aneke is impossible to replace but if you add Smyth, Bogle and Ronnie together it's only about 20 goals.

It's actually 20 goals in 88 games.  Or 1 every 4.5 games.  That's a goal every other game, on average from Kirk, DJ, Lee, Leko, CBT or who ever else plays in those 4 positions. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Clarky said:
    Totally agree about what you say about Aneke, my point is about those who say we haven't replaced him. How can you possibly do that 'like for like'? How many players in any league scores 15 from the bench? If he could start a game, didn't blow out his arse after 30 mins and you didn't have to manage his game time he would never have played for us and he would be at a better team than Birmingham City now. What I was trying to get at is we may have replaced his goals with Elliott Lee and the stats you mention appears to back that up. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!