Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We were always going to get a left back on loan, we didn't because we got Lee instead.  The reason we only have 4 loans is so we can get an emergency loan keeper, if we need one.

I have been told we had a premier league left back loan lined up but it depended on Ater signing or not.

No idea what the free transfer market is like for center mids but I think we went the right way? 
    Interesting that Lee was chosen over a LB.
    Im assuming if you know you would say, but any idea who we were in for mate?
  • Options
    Maybe we didn’t go for a young Prem player on loan as we didn’t want to be tied down to agreeing to a certain number of performances as we would perhaps have had to have done. 
    If it was a left back we could have guaranteed he would play most games 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The idea that there was no one better available during the summer window I find very difficult to believe. 
    Tell us who was better &available for no fee?
    You could literally walk up to any Premier League side and ask for an 18-21 year old LB on loan that would be better than what we have. 

Maatsen, Dasilva for example. 
    Available & better for no fee I said.
    You've replied with 2 players who play in The Championship.

Maatsen is on loan at Coventry and DaSilva is a Bristol C player.
    Plus most Premier loans will involve us having to pay a loan fee and quite likely a larger slice of the salary than Souare is on. 
  • Options
    The idea that there was no one better available during the summer window I find very difficult to believe. 
    Tell us who was better &available for no fee?
    You could literally walk up to any Premier League side and ask for an 18-21 year old LB on loan that would be better than what we have. 

Maatsen, Dasilva for example. 
    You are correct, we can ask. But the answer might be a no as we are third tier and clubs want championship loans.

maatsen, for example.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    We were always going to get a left back on loan, we didn't because we got Lee instead.  The reason we only have 4 loans is so we can get an emergency loan keeper, if we need one.

I have been told we had a premier league left back loan lined up but it depended on Ater signing or not.

No idea what the free transfer market is like for center mids but I think we went the right way? 
    No, no name, but Lee was signed because Morgan didn't deliver and Gilbey's sickness.  As I understand it and happened within about 24 hours of the post match debrief. 

The Arter deal was first approached in early August apparently.  Which goes against my thoughts that they didn't budget to replace JFC. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

No, no name, but Lee was signed because Morgan didn't deliver and Gilbey's sickness.  As I understand it and happened within about 24 hours of the post match debrief. 

The Arter deal was first approached in early August apparently.  Which goes against my thoughts that they didn't budget to replace JFC. 
    Cheers, makes sense I guess however a bit unfair on Albie. It's not his position and never has been so was a gamble. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Cheers, makes sense I guess however a bit unfair on Albie. It's not his position and never has been so was a gamble. 
    I don’t think signing Lee is unfair on Morgan because we clearly lacked an AM. Arter is the weird one because we signed Clare and Dobson on top of Morgan and Watson (with Vennings and Dempsey too). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I don’t think signing Lee is unfair on Morgan because we clearly lacked an AM. Arter is the weird one because we signed Clare and Dobson on top of Morgan and Watson (with Vennings and Dempsey too). 
    Clare and Dobson were the squad replacements for Pratley and Shinnie. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

No disrespect intended but I don’t believe this. Lee was the second loan signing and Arter the third so we could easily still have signed the LB as the 4th loan signing. Leko came about late so not convinced we cancelled the loan of a LB for Leko. I believe we’d have gone for the LB and then maybe targeted an attacking player on a free if necessary. If the LB was dependant on Arter I struggle to see why we were happy with 3 loan signings on deadline day afternoon and still short a left back. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Exactly so you have Dobson fighting it out with Watson and Morgan and Clare for the other spot. Find it hard to believe we were going for 7 CMs with JFC and Dempsey on top. I guess Adkins could have seen Morgan and Gilbey as the AM’s but if so that’s a shocking call. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:

No disrespect intended but I don’t believe this. Lee was the second loan signing and Arter the third so we could easily still have signed the LB as the 4th loan signing. Leko came about late so not convinced we cancelled the loan of a LB for Leko. I believe we’d have gone for the LB and then maybe targeted an attacking player on a free if necessary. If the LB was dependant on Arter I struggle to see why we were happy with 3 loan signings on deadline day afternoon and still short a left back. 
    We really needed 3 wingers plus a gamble on CBT.  It's not about when you get them completed, in that sense, it's when you start the process.  Some happen quicker than others.  Arter took weeks, as Gallen said himself.  Lee took days, or less, as Lee said himself. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

We really needed 3 wingers plus a gamble on CBT.  It's not about when you get them completed, in that sense, it's when you start the process.  Some happen quicker than others.  Arter took weeks, as Gallen said himself.  Lee took days, or less, as Lee said himself. 
    To be honest I actually make you right but you said the LB was dependant on Arter and we had one ready to go. Given Arter was the third loan signing I’d be surprised if it was true because if we pulled out we ran the risk of only having 3 loan players. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Exactly so you have Dobson fighting it out with Watson and Morgan and Clare for the other spot. Find it hard to believe we were going for 7 CMs with JFC and Dempsey on top. I guess Adkins could have seen Morgan and Gilbey as the AM’s but if so that’s a shocking call. 
    Gilbey was good to very good there last season, once we signed Kirk it gave us the option of playing Washington slightly behind Stockley as well.

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I mean it was a bit unfair on Morgan to say he didn't deliver. 
    It's obviously not his best position to play but the choice was made to try him and then the idea was ditched after a few games. That's the managers fault not Albie's in my opinion.
    The signing of Lee was needed as the position needed addressing and I'm pleased it was. 

• Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

It's obviously not his best position to play but the choice was made to try him and then the idea was ditched after a few games. That's the managers fault not Albie's in my opinion.
    The signing of Lee was needed as the position needed addressing and I'm pleased it was. 

And Adkins clearly didn't hold it against Morgan, seeing that he's played every minute in the league, and it was Dobson who was dropped instead, with Morgan moving back.
  • Options
    For all the talk of Adkins wanting to give youth a chance, we've ended up with a pretty full squad, with too many over 21s to register then all, and few opportunities for young players to get a game

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    What we don't know was when Souare first came in the scene?

He may well have been seen as a serious option before the window closed so allowing us to focus on other positions.

We also don't know when Purrington will be fit.

As Gallen said, he had 150 phone conversations on deadline day so I imagine there were others players we know about, like Kerr, and others we know nothing about.

It's an ever changing set of plates that need to be spun.
    Agreed, fairly sure he came onto the scene a day or two before deadline day, hence why I don’t believe we pulled out of a loan deal for a LB to sign Arter. As you say, so much going on and can see why Gallen is always shattered afterwards. 

I wasn’t the most optimistic a couple of weeks ago but think they’ve balanced it pretty well and done a good job. 
  • Options
    For all the talk of Adkins wanting to give youth a chance, we've ended up with a pretty full squad, with too many over 21s to register then all, and few opportunities for young players to get a game

I think this is true but it’s not just about giving games to 20 year olds, it’s about lowering the age of the squad. Amos, Oshilija, Pratley and Shinnie were all replaced by younger permanent players plus you have Kirk and CBT. Davison has been become a part of the squad too. 

All well and good giving youth a chance but the quality has to be there. Elerewe has been played but Lavelle was a must given the concern over Inniss. Claydon and Roddy have played but if we want to go up, Leko and Souare give us the extra depth required. 
  • Options

Harsh

Morgan has played, Deji has played, Harness on the bench and we have other young players on the fringes. Davison and did well in the pizza cup if not in the league cup.

We need the experienced players to guide what is still a young squad. Famewo is 22, DJ not much more, Kirk is 23 or 24. Clare and Dobson aren't ancient either.
    The likes of Deji and Clayden won't get many opportunities, now we've completed our squad. Harness may be our sub keeper, but if MacG gets injured, we'll bring someone in. How many games will the likes of Vennings, Dempsey and Ghandour get, players aged 20 or 21?
    Those other players you mentioned aren't our academy players

“One, there has got to be a pathway for the youngsters in the academy,” he said. “At every football club I’ve been at that has been a big priority and that will be the same here. We have got talented players and sometimes that pathway can be blocked.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-nigel-adkins-ill-give-great-references-to-all-of-the-players-we-let-go/
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Agreed, I do put some blame on the management. It seemed obvious to most people Morgan wasn’t capable of playing that role and yes they probably got it wrong. At least they had the balls to admit that early and bring in Lee. Also, it’s not like they put the blame on Morgan as against Crewe they put in Washington but it wasn’t Albie that was dropped, he just changed role. 
  • Options

Harsh

Morgan has played, Deji has played, Harness on the bench and we have other young players on the fringes. Davison and did well in the pizza cup if not in the league cup.

We need the experienced players to guide what is still a young squad. Famewo is 22, DJ not much more, Kirk is 23 or 24. Clare and Dobson aren't ancient either.
    The likes of Deji and Clayden won't get many opportunities, now we've completed our squad. Harness may be our sub keeper, but if MacG gets injured, we'll bring someone in. How many games will the likes of Vennings, Dempsey and Ghandour get, players aged 20 or 21?
    Those other players you mentioned aren't our academy players

“One, there has got to be a pathway for the youngsters in the academy,” he said. “At every football club I’ve been at that has been a big priority and that will be the same here. We have got talented players and sometimes that pathway can be blocked.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-boss-nigel-adkins-ill-give-great-references-to-all-of-the-players-we-let-go/
    Kind of make you right about Harness, he is No2 to make better use of the budget and we'll bring in an emergency loan if necessary. But, in fairness, if we signed someone like Fielding to be No2 then Harness wouldn't be getting matchday experience on a regular basis and gametime in the cup games so we are still developing him. 

It's ok to reference Vennings, Dempsey and Ghandour but are they good enough and/or ready? Admittedly if you take the comment literally I agree the stance has changed slightly but over the longer term I think Adkins and Sandgaard will look to the academy, but it has to be when the players are capable of stepping up, not to fill the squad because we're scrimping on the budget. 
  • Options
    So that’s one free agent. That may be the last of our business until January but let’s assume we’re after another based on Cawley’s tweet…

It has to be a striker or a keeper doesn’t it? I’m focusing in on the former, given what Adkins said about the emergency loan system for goalkeepers.

Realistic options…

Connor Wickham (?)
    Kazaiah Sterling
    Nicky Ajose
    Jerome Sinclair
    Kieran Agard
    Calvin Andrew
    David Nugent
    Steve Davies
    Ishmael Miller
    Simon Cox
    Anthony Stokes
    Yaya Sanogo
    Oumar Niasse
    Maxime Biamou
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    So that’s one free agent. That may be the last of our business until January but let’s assume we’re after another based on Cawley’s tweet…

It has to be a striker or a keeper doesn’t it? I’m focusing in on the former, given what Adkins said about the emergency loan system for goalkeepers.

Realistic options…

Connor Wickham (?)
    Kazaiah Sterling
    Nicky Ajose
    Jerome Sinclair
    Kieran Agard
    Calvin Andrew
    David Nugent
    Steve Davies
    Ishmael Miller
    Simon Cox
    Anthony Stokes
    Yaya Sanogo
    Oumar Niasse
    Maxime Biamou
    I'm not sure if we find out the squad but it will be intriguing. Dempsey and JFC missing out seems obvious and leaves us with a full squad. If we are after another outfield player (agree it would be a striker) then it surely means Schwartz is the third and final player not to be named which would be very interesting. Personally I do think he'll be included and we won't be signing another outfield player. 

Wickham and Biamou are probably about the only two from that list I'd consider. Would possibly have considered Agard had we not signed Leko but his career does seem to be on the decline. 
  • Options

Realistic options…

Connor Wickham (?)
    Kazaiah Sterling
    Nicky Ajose
    Jerome Sinclair
    Kieran Agard
    Calvin Andrew
    David Nugent
    Steve Davies
    Ishmael Miller
    Simon Cox
    Anthony Stokes
    Yaya Sanogo
    Oumar Niasse
    Maxime Biamou
    I'm not sure if we find out the squad but it will be intriguing. Dempsey and JFC missing out seems obvious and leaves us with a full squad. If we are after another outfield player (agree it would be a striker) then it surely means Schwartz is the third and final player not to be named which would be very interesting. Personally I do think he'll be included and we won't be signing another outfield player. 

Agreed, unless it's an under 21. I've said this before, but I do feel that our transfer business has left us a bit tied by the squad number rules, seeing that everyone we've brought in is over 21. Ronnie hasn't gone anywhere, surely we should try and get him fit in the next few months, seeing that we are paying him

And I'm intrigued what happens when JFC is fit. If we include him from January, then someone will have to come out. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!