Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Options
    esseffect said:
    I work in recruitment, this happens a lot… sadly 
    Thanks Steve.
    Its all a bit of a lottery anyway. You never know how good anybody is until they start working for you. Lavelle may turn out to be twice the player Kerr is....or not
  • Options
    does sound harsh and it’s why I am not sensitive when players use us as a stepping stone as we give as good as we get in that department. Hopefully he can use that as motivation and show he is the right man for the club 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    mart77 said:
    Madger Gomes who was on trial with us, before moving on has signed a two year deal at Crewe.
    Given their performance and how things look in general at Crewe, I think it's fair to say that him being good enough for Crewe is proof he is not good enough for us (or at least, where we want to be.)
    Then one could say the same about Charlie Kirk.  He was there a while.
    You could say it but Crewe look much poorer this season than they have for a long time having lost a lot of their best players over the past few seasons - including Kirk. He was part of a good Crewe team, Gomes seems to have joined a sinking ship.
    True but you did say being good enough for Crewe makes Gomes unsuitable for Charlton.  That then must apply to Kirk or Lowery. Gomes like one of the Crewe players scored twice ,iirc, against Charlton last year.
    It's @thenewbie's fault for not being clear and putting his comment in context. If he'd wanted to avoid any misunderstanding, he could've just stuck something at the front along the lines of,

"Given their performance and how things look in general at Crewe..."

If he'd wanted to make it really unambiguous, he could've gone as far as to add something at the end like,

"...(or at least, where we want to be.)"

Some posters don't help themselves when they fail to articulate their thoughts clearly.
  • Options
    And hopefully this is where the professionalism of the man shines through, and he gives his best. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    mart77 said:
    Madger Gomes who was on trial with us, before moving on has signed a two year deal at Crewe.
    Given their performance and how things look in general at Crewe, I think it's fair to say that him being good enough for Crewe is proof he is not good enough for us (or at least, where we want to be.)
    You could say it but Crewe look much poorer this season than they have for a long time having lost a lot of their best players over the past few seasons - including Kirk. He was part of a good Crewe team, Gomes seems to have joined a sinking ship.
    True but you did say being good enough for Crewe makes Gomes unsuitable for Charlton.  That then must apply to Kirk or Lowery. Gomes like one of the Crewe players scored twice ,iirc, against Charlton last year.
    It's really not hard to fathom.
    Kirk left Crewe because he was considered to be one of their best and got a better offer at a bigger club.
    Gomes wasn't made an offer by a bigger club, so ended up joining Crewe.

You appear to be unable to assess player abilities if they played for the same club.
    Personally I'm certain that Kevin De Bruyne is better than Matt Smith, whilst both being Man C midfielders.
      I know exactly what you are saying but you said of Gomes that if he signed for Crewe he wasn't  good enough  for Charlton.  

I said that could apply to Kirk. You persistently make statements , this was about playing for Crewe and so not being good enough for Charlton.  That was the subject . Gomes was the object.
    Another object, Kirk could have this said  of him. After all, the comment was about being hood enough for Crewe but not for Charlton. 

As far as Manchester City was concerned M.Smith wasn't good enough  for Charlton but plays for Manchester City.  I this case then, Charlton  must be better than Manchester City 
    I'm starting to worry about you.
    I’m fairly confident a small number of posters look at others posts and inside their head a subconscious says “how can I turn this into an argument”
    Oh no they don't. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chunes said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    mart77 said:
    It's really not hard to fathom.
    Kirk left Crewe because he was considered to be one of their best and got a better offer at a bigger club.
    Gomes wasn't made an offer by a bigger club, so ended up joining Crewe.

You appear to be unable to assess player abilities if they played for the same club.
    Personally I'm certain that Kevin De Bruyne is better than Matt Smith, whilst both being Man C midfielders.
      I know exactly what you are saying but you said of Gomes that if he signed for Crewe he wasn't  good enough  for Charlton.  

I said that could apply to Kirk. You persistently make statements , this was about playing for Crewe and so not being good enough for Charlton.  That was the subject . Gomes was the object.
    Another object, Kirk could have this said  of him. After all, the comment was about being hood enough for Crewe but not for Charlton. 

As far as Manchester City was concerned M.Smith wasn't good enough  for Charlton but plays for Manchester City.  I this case then, Charlton  must be better than Manchester City 
    I'm starting to worry about you.
    I’m fairly confident a small number of posters look at others posts and inside their head a subconscious says “how can I turn this into an argument”
    Oh no they don't. 
    You f£@*ing what? 
  • Options

17 sides began the season in league 1 with smaller squads than last year, clearly covid and a desire to streamline financially have played a major role.
    More here - https://southnorwoodaddick.com/2021/09/05/transfer-window-review-and-squad-thoughts/
  • Options
    I wonder how close we are or how long till we bring any free agents in if that is at all the case...
  • Options

17 sides began the season in league 1 with smaller squads than last year, clearly covid and a desire to streamline financially have played a major role.
    More here - https://southnorwoodaddick.com/2021/09/05/transfer-window-review-and-squad-thoughts/
    Interesting analysis, though I'm not sure it's possible to make that much of a correlation between simple squad numbers, seeing that some of the players will be youngsters on a low salary anyway. And clubs will continue to add players to the squad this season, such as free agents or promoting youngsters from the academy
  • Options
    razil said:
    All seems like not enough goals in the team to me, and too many gambles: Arter (past it?) Leko (not recovered form after major injury) Lee (a loan from a bottom championship side where he was surplus) a failed prospect who fell out of a League 2 team on a short contract, only 2 players of the recent haul being of the possible standard we might have expected. 

All smacks of a window that really didn’t go to plan, a failed strategy that is either malfunctioning, underfunded, badly flawed or all of the above. A desperate scramble at the end and even then still not resourced that well. Would be surprised if we get near the top six personally, but then maybe all were interested in is clean sheets.
    Without using clichés and word soup what we're you expecting? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    One more goal than every team we play will do for me. Personally I don’t see goals as a massive problem this season. Lose Stockley and things could be tricky.
  • Options
    razil said:
    All seems like not enough goals in the team to me, and too many gambles: Arter (past it?) Leko (not recovered form after major injury) Lee (a loan from a bottom championship side where he was surplus) a failed prospect who fell out of a League 2 team on a short contract, only 2 players of the recent haul being of the possible standard we might have expected. 

All smacks of a window that really didn’t go to plan, a failed strategy that is either malfunctioning, underfunded, badly flawed or all of the above. A desperate scramble at the end and even then still not resourced that well. Would be surprised if we get near the top six personally, but then maybe all were interested in is clean sheets.
    Same discussion was had last year. Blackpool got promoted last season and only scored 60 goals in the League, we scored 70. If Stockley got 15, Washington/Davison 15 between them and then 20 from Lee, Leko, DJ and Kirk we're already well on our way. Gilbey, JFC, Clare and CBT should be able to get 10 between too. 

That’s a very very big if mate :)
  • Options

Interesting analysis, though I'm not sure it's possible to make that much of a correlation between simple squad numbers, seeing that some of the players will be youngsters on a low salary anyway. And clubs will continue to add players to the squad this season, such as free agents or promoting youngsters from the academy
    Agreed, to try and get around this a little bit I've excluded signings and outgoings that are clearly "development players". A development player being one that has made fewer than 10 league appearances for the first team. Therefore Roddy is excluded as a signing as are any of our youngsters that were released without playing in a first team league game. 
    Generally, I think all you can get from this is that more sides in league 1 are hoping to promote a few youngsters to fill gaps. Whether this is different from previous seasons prior to covid is hard to say without gathering all that information, what it does say is that we're not that unique from the rest of the division. 
  • Options
    razil said:
    razil said:

Same discussion was had last year. Blackpool got promoted last season and only scored 60 goals in the League, we scored 70. If Stockley got 15, Washington/Davison 15 between them and then 20 from Lee, Leko, DJ and Kirk we're already well on our way. Gilbey, JFC, Clare and CBT should be able to get 10 between too. 

Is it? Washington has scored 34 in 101 in his last 3 League 1 seasons so averages 1 in 3. Him and Davison will be capable of chipping in and if Stockley is out I still feel confident we can create and score a few. 

Unless of course you mean 20 from Lee, Leko, DJ and Kirk? I don't think that's unrealistic either. 
  • Options
    Washington bagged 11 on his own last season. Anything less than double figures would be disappointing from him.
  • Options
    Washington bagged 11 on his own last season. Anything less than double figures would be disappointing from him.
    Whilst I agree, I've said as much above, the issue this season will be playing time. If, as expected we go 4231 then Lee, DJ and Kirk are the obvious starters behind Stockley. Washington will be useful, playing out wide and up top, both on his own and alongside Stockley. I'm not sure he'll get double figures because I don't think he'll play enough. If he can get around 1 in 3/3.5 again then it will be very useful. 
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    razil said:
    razil said:

15 from Washington/Davison is definitely possible. Washington should hit double figures as last season, that leaves us with Davison picking up 4-5 goals himself. 20 between Lee, Leko, DJ and Kirk is more than doable (Kirk scored 6 and DJ scored 5 in League 1 last season). I don’t see how you’ve come to either of those group goal tally’s as a “very very big if”. 
  • Options
    History tells us that if we finish the season by scoring 20 or more goals than we concede, we will be top 6.

With the squad we have now, as long as we don’t mess things up through the season or have another injury crisis, I’d be disappointed if we didn’t manage to score 20 or more goals than we concede this season.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!