Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Subscription....here we go again

Comments

• Options
    Said it before on here but anyone subscribing to sky just so they can watch football should seriously consider streaming it on Bein Connect.

Get a cheap VPN and then pay £15 a month and you get all premier league games, plus games from other top european leagues (Spain/Italy/Germany/France) plus CL and Europa.

No brainer considering the price of getting both sky and BT.

https://www.screenbinge.com/channels/bein-sports/
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    That is pretty much what I do. I do it because I have always done it. It is like my car insurance. They gave me a quote which was about the same as last year. I know I can get cheaper if I shop around, but as they haven't put it up by much I can live with it. I regularly get letters from Virgin saying we are increasing the cost by X and I know they are taking the piss. And I know Sky are the same. We do have genuine alternatives to them both now and the way to keep their customers is surely not to screw them to breaking point. But Hey Ho!

It isn't that I can't afford it, but I do resent that a company can be providing the same service to customers and charge significantly different amounts. Surely everything should have its cost and value and that is what everybody pays for it! That is what it should be in my world anyway. I don't want to have to shop around for what should be standard things. If I want a better TV or car I pay more for them, because they are better products, but we are talking about the same bloody thing. It is the same with gas and electricity.  I appreciate I may well be a dinosaur!
  • Options
    I'm sure I pay the same in rental for my Virgin package deal as Richard Branson pays for the lease of an Airbus.
  • Options
    Same thing happens every time a Sky thread pops up we get posts about streaming alternative options at a cheaper price.

Personally streaming isn't for me and I'm sure many others too as I find streams are always 2-3 minutes behind the live action being shown on Sky having joined a few online watchalongs over the last year.

Also with streaming you're having to compromise on the picture quality using your device frame rate while at least the Sky dish the picture quality isn't compromised.

I'm sure people will choose whatever suits them best.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Slight tangent, but does anyone know if I can be cheap and save on this situation:

Currently living with a mate and have Sky here with SkyGo on iPad and Laptop via the current Sky subscription. I'm renting my room out and moving in with gf, the current subscription will stay in the flat (that Sky bill will be covered by tenant rent). The new property I'm going into with the gf...will I be forced into a new Sky subscription for that property or is there anyway I can stream/cast my current SkyGo via iPad/laptop on to the TV in new gaff. I'm not too hot with the tech stuff, had always heard Sky made it hard to cast and find workarounds to avoid paying up (shock). Would be handy to avoid the extra costs!

For what it's worth, £62 seems to be the 18 month advertised rate for broadband, Sky TV & SkySports - £79 if you add BT Sport. Sky Movies does nothing for me
  • Options
    Slight tangent, but does anyone know if I can be cheap and save on this situation:

Currently living with a mate and have Sky here with SkyGo on iPad and Laptop via the current Sky subscription. I'm renting my room out and moving in with gf, the current subscription will stay in the flat (that Sky bill will be covered by tenant rent). The new property I'm going into with the gf...will I be forced into a new Sky subscription for that property or is there anyway I can stream/cast my current SkyGo via iPad/laptop on to the TV in new gaff. I'm not too hot with the tech stuff, had always heard Sky made it hard to cast and find workarounds to avoid paying up (shock). Would be handy to avoid the extra costs!

For what it's worth, £62 seems to be the 18 month advertised rate for broadband, Sky TV & SkySports - £79 if you add BT Sport. Sky Movies does nothing for me
    If the laptop allows, you'll be able to connect it to a TV and watch that way. Sky Go also available on some games consoles.

Mobile devices / tablets they usually block.
  • Options

I can’t have a sky dish on the property we moved to 3 months ago as it’s a grade 2 listed building and I’m not going through all the expense and faffing about to get planning consent until I know I want to keep sky for the long term. In the meantime we are watching TV via free view and the assorted apps - Netflix, Amazon, iPlayer etc.  I have access to sky go on my phone and laptop for the sports and if we desperately want to watch a sky programme on the main telly we plug in the laptop. Can’t seem to cast from the iPhone but don’t have an Apple TV which probably explains it. To be honest, apart from the convenience of being able to record stuff (ITV Hub is unwatchable due to the amount of adverts and I’m not paying £3.99 a month on principle to avoid them) we’re not really missing Sky that much. Can see me going down the NowTV route. 
  • Options
    quick call this morning and £25 @ month off my soon to be newly revised bill....job done
  • Options
    PwR.

Just buy a firestick 
  • Options
    So you guys prompted me to make my annual call to Virgin.
    I have the full TV package, plus Sky & BT Sports, 100MB broadband, landline etc.
    The cost should be £105pm, but I'm paying £85pm and it was due to go to £105 next month.

I couldn't get them to drop the price from £85pm, but I now also have 500MB broadband, Sky Cinema and a SIM for unlimited everything.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

You're not allowed to plug macbooks in anymore, they found a way to block it. But you can get Sky Go on PS4/PS5 which is basically like having a Sky Box without recording capabilities.
  • Options

Sky have applied restrictions to their apps, they are to be used on the PC/Tablet/Phone and cannot be shared to the TV. 

I have Sky q with Sports and Entertainment package + second box for about £50. I am an EE customer and have BT Sport for £15 as a bolt-on and would stream from my phone to TV but BT recently blocked this. But, they have now launched an Android TV app which I now run on my Nvidia Shield.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I'm pleased to say I've never paid Sky a penny.
    I paid for their internet a few years back, but I have paid them through now tv, never again though. 

Their prices are disgustingly high for the TV services...

• Options
    I don't mind paying Sky a reasonable amount for what I think is a pretty decent service. Much to my surprise, I do get to watch stuff other than sport. And a lot of it I have really enjoyed.

What I do object to is the "game" you have to play to get a decent price and the annual "linked to inflation" increase all these communications services seem to apply. This smacks of a cartel in operation to me.  Ofcom is the organisation that is really not fit for purpose here. 
  • Options

You're not allowed to plug macbooks in anymore, they found a way to block it. But you can get Sky Go on PS4/PS5 which is basically like having a Sky Box without recording capabilities.
    I think that’s generous. It certainly seems that way but the viewing experience can be quite different. 

Sky Go has very little memory of what you’ve been watching. So if you turn it on and just want to watch the next episode of, say, The Wire, good luck figuring out which episode you were on. And you’ll need even more luck to find it (it’s under T for The if it helps). You can do a search but the system Sky uses (the programme database) is awful, and doesn’t group anything at all. You’ll just get a random list of episodes, with images and text boxes that will spoil the show for you. 

You then have to sit through two or three minutes of unskippable adverts per episode. And hey, if you accidentally or purposely stop the episode, you’ll need to watch all those adverts again. And the next episode won’t auto play, you’ll need to find it. 

The bitrate it plays is is shit as well (I think that’s the term) so it’s not a smooth picture as with Netflix and co. And it sure won’t be 4K. 

Sky Go is built on ancient software and Sky don’t seem remotely bothered about updating it because it would a huge and expensive job, and their business is set top boxes. Go is there because it has to be, and they do the bare minimum to make it work. 
  • Options
    Once someone comes up with a box and interface better than SkyQ then its game over for them. Those boxes are genuinely excellent and in fairness to sky they have always had the market leading set top boxes apart from a short time when Virgin and Tivo got into bed together. 

• Options
    Just cancelled my sky.

They offered me every channel that is free on freeview but for a princely sum of £35 a month.

Thanks but no thanks sky. 
  • Options
    I cannot be arsed with them tbf. Every time they asked me what I watch I just replied "Freeview"
  • Options
    Eighteen months ago I got it down from£86 to£48, it has regularly been going up in till last week it's now £70 a month,back on the phone today and it's now gone down to £46 plus Netflix thrown in for free 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Having held on for 45 minutes last Friday, only to be cut off and when trying again, heard the message " We're sorry but we're having to carry out some emergency work so please try later"....I was ready for a fight. 

Our contract expires on Weds so had to give it another go this morning. 

I called the main number but was transferred to Retentions once I indicated that my contract was coming to an end. 

For the following 81 minutes, I engaged in conversation with a delightful young Scottish guy named Andy. Sky Sports is clearly high on our agenda so once the question was posed, and football mentioned, I asked if he was Rangers or Celtic..as you do. 

When the former was confirmed, and I mentioned Joe Aribo, we were up & running ! Andy had met Joe & stated what we already know, that he's a lovely guy. Jermaine Defoe was also lauded & amidst my man's checking for offers & asking a few questions, we became best buds. 

So, once my offers from the Nov 2019 contract had been deleted, our current package would have been in  excess of £110pm - we have been paying £57 for the past 18 months. 

However, after much ducking & diving, we now have Sky Q & Sky Signature once the engineer visits in mid June ( with the £99 installation fee waived) , Box sets, VIP Diamond status ( elevated from Platinum due to our 20+ years' subscription) , Netflix for £5pm included in the package and the admin fee of £30 reduced to £20. This means, an all in monthly payment of £68 and the £9.99 we currently pay for Netflix is due for cancellation.

In addition, the Fanackapans have been invited to Andy's wedding on 12th September next in Glasgow ( fixtures permitting) and have been chosen as Godparents for his first born. 

A decent morning's work if I do say so myself !  
    You smooth talker you!!!
  • Options
    Having held on for 45 minutes last Friday, only to be cut off and when trying again, heard the message " We're sorry but we're having to carry out some emergency work so please try later"....I was ready for a fight. 

I called the main number but was transferred to Retentions once I indicated that my contract was coming to an end. 

For the following 81 minutes, I engaged in conversation with a delightful young Scottish guy named Andy. Sky Sports is clearly high on our agenda so once the question was posed, and football mentioned, I asked if he was Rangers or Celtic..as you do. 

When the former was confirmed, and I mentioned Joe Aribo, we were up & running ! Andy had met Joe & stated what we already know, that he's a lovely guy. Jermaine Defoe was also lauded & amidst my man's checking for offers & asking a few questions, we became best buds. 

So, once my offers from the Nov 2019 contract had been deleted, our current package would have been in  excess of £110pm - we have been paying £57 for the past 18 months. 

However, after much ducking & diving, we now have Sky Q & Sky Signature once the engineer visits in mid June ( with the £99 installation fee waived) , Box sets, VIP Diamond status ( elevated from Platinum due to our 20+ years' subscription) , Netflix for £5pm included in the package and the admin fee of £30 reduced to £20. This means, an all in monthly payment of £68 and the £9.99 we currently pay for Netflix is due for cancellation.

In addition, the Fanackapans have been invited to Andy's wedding on 12th September next in Glasgow ( fixtures permitting) and have been chosen as Godparents for his first born. 

Fanny - could you please handle my re-negotiation next time? I get so frustrated with Sky that my normal charm flies out the window.
  • Options

Fanny - could you please handle my re-negotiation next time? I get so frustrated with Sky that my normal charm flies out the window.
    My pleasure ! 

Only cost you a dozen bottles of Lidl's finest....
  • Options
    I re-negotiated mine about 3 months ago, had shot up from £70 to £155. I have the full lot including fibre, all TV, free calls etc, Sky Q and multi room, Skygo etc.

Was more difficult this time around TBH, I was a bit sneaky as I get my landline and fibre paid for so got them to make all the biggest discounts on the TV. So now I pay £77 a month of which £40 is broadband & phone so all the TV costs me is £37 which is a bargain in my view (I have Netflix separate)
  • Options

Great shout, you've answered my prayers. Cheers

Sky Go available on up to 6 devices, most of my mates have a PlayStation...theoretically, splitting cost of Sky between 6 (exc internet) would be a touch. Surprised they allow this to be honest, perhaps they block it somehow?

Ta to other respondents too
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    Just cancelled my sky.

They offered me every channel that is free on freeview but for a princely sum of £35 a month.

Thanks but no thanks sky. 
    I can sell you some air in a bottle for a tenner.
  • Options
    I stream sky go via my MacBook onto my TV with no hassle. 
  • Options
    Just rang Virgin and got a £10 a month deduction to £79 a month. That is for TV plus Sky Sports/BT sports, Fast fibre Broadband and landline. I get Netflix separately. Not sure how good that is but I can live with it.