Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sky Subscription....here we go again

Comments

• Options
    Was paying £75 - thanks to this wonderful thread, checked my Sky account and it was going up to £113 next month. Did the cancel movies and sports dance, and got it down to £80 for the full package (incl UHD and Netflix UHD) that I had before. Made a note to ring them a month before the contract runs out.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Having held on for 45 minutes last Friday, only to be cut off and when trying again, heard the message " We're sorry but we're having to carry out some emergency work so please try later"....I was ready for a fight. 

Our contract expires on Weds so had to give it another go this morning. 

I called the main number but was transferred to Retentions once I indicated that my contract was coming to an end. 

For the following 81 minutes, I engaged in conversation with a delightful young Scottish guy named Andy. Sky Sports is clearly high on our agenda so once the question was posed, and football mentioned, I asked if he was Rangers or Celtic..as you do. 

When the former was confirmed, and I mentioned Joe Aribo, we were up & running ! Andy had met Joe & stated what we already know, that he's a lovely guy. Jermaine Defoe was also lauded & amidst my man's checking for offers & asking a few questions, we became best buds. 

So, once my offers from the Nov 2019 contract had been deleted, our current package would have been in  excess of £110pm - we have been paying £57 for the past 18 months. 

However, after much ducking & diving, we now have Sky Q & Sky Signature once the engineer visits in mid June ( with the £99 installation fee waived) , Box sets, VIP Diamond status ( elevated from Platinum due to our 20+ years' subscription) , Netflix for £5pm included in the package and the admin fee of £30 reduced to £20. This means, an all in monthly payment of £68 and the £9.99 we currently pay for Netflix is due for cancellation.

In addition, the Fanackapans have been invited to Andy's wedding on 12th September next in Glasgow ( fixtures permitting) and have been chosen as Godparents for his first born. 

A decent morning's work if I do say so myself !  
    No offence intended to you, as you seem like a lovely human but i'd love to know what Andy's fiance thinks of the fact a sky customer he spoke to are now her kids godparents.

Can just imagine the bemused look on the faces of their close friends when you rock up to the christening as godparents instead of any of them. Who are they? "Oh just someone i gave a good sky deal to once."
    Hey Chris, can I ask - do you get confused when watching stand up comedians? 

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    Just cancelled my sky.

They offered me every channel that is free on freeview but for a princely sum of £35 a month.

Thanks but no thanks sky. 
    I can sell you some air in a bottle for a tenner.
    When they gave me the price I asked them if they would be happy to pay £35 a month for something that you already got for free?

When they replied "No". I said "Then why would I pay you £35 then?"
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    Great!

Just re-negotiated my Sky subscription ... but now I have to go to some bloody wedding in Scotland in September.

On top of that, I also had to agree to become a godparent to some tartened brat.

Oh well.  Car insurance next.
    Happy to help ! 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Slight tangent, but does anyone know if I can be cheap and save on this situation:

Currently living with a mate and have Sky here with SkyGo on iPad and Laptop via the current Sky subscription. I'm renting my room out and moving in with gf, the current subscription will stay in the flat (that Sky bill will be covered by tenant rent). The new property I'm going into with the gf...will I be forced into a new Sky subscription for that property or is there anyway I can stream/cast my current SkyGo via iPad/laptop on to the TV in new gaff. I'm not too hot with the tech stuff, had always heard Sky made it hard to cast and find workarounds to avoid paying up (shock). Would be handy to avoid the extra costs!

For what it's worth, £62 seems to be the 18 month advertised rate for broadband, Sky TV & SkySports - £79 if you add BT Sport. Sky Movies does nothing for me
    You're not allowed to plug macbooks in anymore, they found a way to block it. But you can get Sky Go on PS4/PS5 which is basically like having a Sky Box without recording capabilities.
    I think that’s generous. It certainly seems that way but the viewing experience can be quite different. 

Sky Go has very little memory of what you’ve been watching. So if you turn it on and just want to watch the next episode of, say, The Wire, good luck figuring out which episode you were on. And you’ll need even more luck to find it (it’s under T for The if it helps). You can do a search but the system Sky uses (the programme database) is awful, and doesn’t group anything at all. You’ll just get a random list of episodes, with images and text boxes that will spoil the show for you. 

You then have to sit through two or three minutes of unskippable adverts per episode. And hey, if you accidentally or purposely stop the episode, you’ll need to watch all those adverts again. And the next episode won’t auto play, you’ll need to find it. 

The bitrate it plays is is shit as well (I think that’s the term) so it’s not a smooth picture as with Netflix and co. And it sure won’t be 4K. 

Sky Go is built on ancient software and Sky don’t seem remotely bothered about updating it because it would a huge and expensive job, and their business is set top boxes. Go is there because it has to be, and they do the bare minimum to make it work. 
    Yeah that's completely fair, elements of it are terrible, I must have been in a good mood when I wrote the above.

Episodes of a series are in a completely random order and that order changes everytime you open the app and it's impossible to know what episodes you've already seen.
    It will often crash during an adbreak and you can't watch more than 1 thing without restarting the app so you have to close it, reopen it, find the episode and watch all of the ads again.

But it's a pretty good solution for the above and I'm in a similar situation where I'm not the one paying for Sky so Sky Go is better than a dodgy stream.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Could anyone please help with a sky contact number? (to cancel)

Sorted........see ya Sky :)
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

How to get in touch with Sky

Online, you can chat to one of our online advisors at Contact Us.
    You can call us on 03442 414 141.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

How to get in touch with Sky

Online, you can chat to one of our online advisors at Contact Us.
    You can call us on 03442 414 141.
    cheers

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Timely thread.  I got my Sky package down to £88 per month in a Black Friday deal 18 months ago. I suppose I should have twigged that it was 18 months ago but they’ve just taken £137 from my account rising to £147 next month.  I expressed my displeasure about a lack of notification.  To add insult to injury, we’ve not had a sky dish since we moved to the Isle of Wight three months ago as we’d require planning permission so the only sky I’ve watched has been sports via Skygo on my laptop. Mrs SB has been watching Netflix, prime or sundry apps on the main tv via wifi.  To be honest, she’s not missed sky at all especially as she found sky Q frustrating to view.  So a conversation just now along the lines of “keeping my broadband and Telephone package (£45) but your having a laugh wanting £102 per month for your tv package especially as I don’t have a dish”  Best deal they could cut me even after doing the ritual dance with the retention team was £89 per month (phone &broadband plus sky sports and a sky entertainment package which I have to have to get sports despite not wanting it. I’ve cancelled. It was coming to be honest. I’ve become bored with the negotiations every year or so.  Another hour of my life I’m not getting back.  It will be a Now tv pass for the weekend of the British Open/Masters and I’ll just have to live without the footy which to be honest I’ve become increasingly disinterested in anyway.  Let’s see if a better offer comes my way during the month notice period. 
  • Options
    Based on my recent experience I would expect them to reach out to you sometime late next week.
  • Options
    They just offered me the whole.lot for £48 a month for 18 months. I asked 'Is it £48 for 18 months or just the 1st month?'. The answer was '18 months at £48' 
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    They just offered me the whole.lot for £48 a month for 18 months. I asked 'Is it £48 for 18 months or just the 1st month?'. The answer was '18 months at £48' 
    Bl**dy Andy ! 

I've been shafted ! 
  • Options
    I negotiated with a lovely chap called Sakshat via the online chat. Absolutely desperate for me to renew everything (tv, sports, Netflix, cinema, kids, all in HD, & internet) we agreed on £69 per month for 18months. Hope this helps someone else with their negotiation!
  • Options
    Put the phone on speaker, let the guy go through his script with just the additional “ahhhh that’s a good deal” for encouragement while I cracked with school work. My comment that Sky not contacting subscribers via the post in similar fashion to an insurance company for example to say your premium is going up etc at the end of the policy, but sky will if you contact them offer you a deal lowering the price. That suggests to that sky will happily take your money if your not on the ball, this was denied as “ not the case” so I challenged him to refund any difference since the end of our contract. It can’t be done apparently, case closed. Sky have gone, it felt good another 90 Quid in the Therapy dog budget. 💪
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    As always, this thread a timely reminder, bill has crept back up. @ImBetterThanShaun is getting a few bits cheaper than me so at least I have a benchmark. Any other views on what I should be paying much appreciated...I want a cheaper bill, but I also want to keep Sky. I like it and very familiar with it. Contract up in a few weeks time....

Total Bill £116.50 made up of TV at 76.50 and Broadband and Talk at £40
    TV £76.50:
         Sky Entertainment £26
         Box sets               £5
         Kids                     £5
         Complete Sports £13
         Cinema               £11
         Sports HD           £2
         Sky HD                £7
         SkyQ Multirooom £7.50

Broadband and Talk £40
         1571 Voicemail (WTF!)     £2
          Wifi                                 Free
          Pay as you talk                 Free
          Broadband superfast       £33
          Talk Line rental               Free
           Broadband boost             £5
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    @SporadicAddick - if this helps, below is the TV element of your bill with what I have just agreed in brackets:

Sky Entertainment £26       (£22 - Renamed Sky Signature)
         Box sets               £5        (Nil - Don't have this)
         Kids                     £5        (£2)
         Complete Sports £13       (£6)
         Cinema               £11     (£11)
         Sports HD           £2         (£2)
         Sky HD                £7         (£3)
         SkyQ Multirooom £7.50 ( £10)
         Ultimate TV Add-on Nil    (£5  Believe this is for the Netflix add-on)   

Total £76.50    (£61)
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I advised I wanted to trigger my 31 day cancellation (I am bluffing as I want to watch the Lions rugby games plus the cricket over the next few months). Based on posts from people some time ago, I am hoping Sky will get back in touch nearer the cancellation date with a better offer, so it's a game of chicken now!

I know I could change elements of my package to further reduce the package but it's a pain. I like Sky Sports but probably watch more non-football sport unless a Charlton game is on. 

Will update if anything changes.
    I went through the same process last September and started the cancellation period.

Got an offer by text a week later, and then phone calls to discuss and agree a new contract at a much better price than had been offered by the retentions team.

Hold your nerve...!
    As @AllLeftFoot predicted, Sky contacted me this afternoon for further "discussions" via text. As mentioned previously, I was paying £48/month which was increased to £52.50 from 1st April. then the discounts given as part of an 18 month Black Friday offer in November 2019 expired mid-May and Sky wanted to charge me £106/month. The first call to Sky resulted in a proposed reduction to £87. When I said I would cancel they transferred me to the Retentions team who said they could offer £76. When I responded that was still too high and wanted to trigger my 31 day cancellation they said sorry to see you go.

Today they offered £61/month for the same package for 18 months through to 17 November 2022. So frustrating going through these gyrations every 18 months.
    Well done for your patience and endurance in trying to get through to those money grabbing toerags
    But personally i feel the £61.00/month is too much, i gave up when mine was at £55.00 per month about three years ago, and now get what i need via freeview and netflix.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I advised I wanted to trigger my 31 day cancellation (I am bluffing as I want to watch the Lions rugby games plus the cricket over the next few months). Based on posts from people some time ago, I am hoping Sky will get back in touch nearer the cancellation date with a better offer, so it's a game of chicken now!

I know I could change elements of my package to further reduce the package but it's a pain. I like Sky Sports but probably watch more non-football sport unless a Charlton game is on. 

I went through the same process last September and started the cancellation period.

Got an offer by text a week later, and then phone calls to discuss and agree a new contract at a much better price than had been offered by the retentions team.

Hold your nerve...!
    As @AllLeftFoot predicted, Sky contacted me this afternoon for further "discussions" via text. As mentioned previously, I was paying £48/month which was increased to £52.50 from 1st April. then the discounts given as part of an 18 month Black Friday offer in November 2019 expired mid-May and Sky wanted to charge me £106/month. The first call to Sky resulted in a proposed reduction to £87. When I said I would cancel they transferred me to the Retentions team who said they could offer £76. When I responded that was still too high and wanted to trigger my 31 day cancellation they said sorry to see you go.

Today they offered £61/month for the same package for 18 months through to 17 November 2022. So frustrating going through these gyrations every 18 months.
    Well done for your patience and endurance in trying to get through to those money grabbing toerags
    But personally i feel the £61.00/month is too much, i gave up when mine was at £55.00 per month about three years ago, and now get what i need via freeview and netflix.
    Obviously, it comes down to combination of what you like to watch and what you are prepared to pay. I don't think Sky is perfect but it works for us provided the price is not outrageous. For me £61 is higher than I would like given they were charging me £48 three months ago, but not as outrageous as the £106/month they were proposing to charge me.

I don't know much about the Freeview offering but I am a big cricket fan and my wife is the same with rugby. Aside from Channel 4 showing some of England's cricket tour to India earlier this year, Sky tends to dominate the cricket coverage. I think I am right in saying that Sky have the rights to show the upcoming Lions rugby tour. Also Sky Q Multiroom works well for us. We have a cinema room in our basement along with a separate gym area. So we have screens at either end of the room with separate Sky boxes and then 2 other TVs & Sky Q boxes in rooms on the ground floor, so provides a lot of flexibility if we are dotted around the house and want to watch something different on Sky, Netflix, iplayer etc.

I just wish Sky stopped this pantomime on giving discounts for 18 months, then taking them away, then largely giving them back as soon as you complain. They are obviously relying on customer's inertia and if they just hiked the cost up by a reasonable amount a lot of effort could be spared.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Whilst renegotiating with Virgin last week, they told me it was now law for them to advise in advance when the contract is about to expire.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/guides/end-of-contract-notifications-broadband-and-mobile/
    Both broadband and mobile providers will now be required to contact you between 10 and 40 days before the end of your contract.
  • Options

Hold your nerve...!

Obviously, it comes down to combination of what you like to watch and what you are prepared to pay. I don't think Sky is perfect but it works for us provided the price is not outrageous. For me £61 is higher than I would like given they were charging me £48 three months ago, but not as outrageous as the £106/month they were proposing to charge me.

I don't know much about the Freeview offering but I am a big cricket fan and my wife is the same with rugby. Aside from Channel 4 showing some of England's cricket tour to India earlier this year, Sky tends to dominate the cricket coverage. I think I am right in saying that Sky have the rights to show the upcoming Lions rugby tour. Also Sky Q Multiroom works well for us. We are fortunate enough to have a cinema room in our basement along with a separate gym area. So we have screens at either end of the room with separate Sky boxes and then 2 other TVs & Sky Q boxes in rooms on the ground floor, so provides a lot of flexibility if we are dotted around the house and want to watch something different on Sky, Netflix, iplayer etc.

I just wish Sky stopped this pantomime on giving discounts for 18 months, then taking them away, then largely giving them back as soon as you complain. They are obviously relying on customer's inertia and if they just hiked the cost up by a reasonable amount a lot of effort could be spared.
    What I would like to see is a standard price. Not a discount offer but a price that everybody pays. Not just Sky and Virgin but for everything. I hate the culture that if you don't ring us and negotiate, we will treat you as a mug rather than a loyal customer and try to rip you off. This applies to insurance and utilities too. I hate the thought that there are loyal customers, probably a lot of older ones, paying much more than me. And I hate the thought/possibility that better negotiators than me are getting what I am getting for less. 
    It's changing next year in insurance, although my strong suspicion is it'll disappoint a lot of people as it's more likely to see the 'new customer offers' increase in price even if existing comes down slightly. So for all those that shop around you'll pay more than you would have done, for all those that don't usually bother to shop around, a lot will pay a bit less. It's just spreading the premium pot more fairly/evenly.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    It isn't really the money for me, it is more the thought I am being ripped off compared to others and the only way around it is to spend a lot of time negotiating. My car insurance remained the same this year after me negotiating last year and whilst I knew I could probably get it cheaper, I was happy with that. If they don't try to take the piss I can live with it. I wouldn't be surprised if they have me on a not to take the piss list as I negotiated last year. What made me negotiate was that they rang me to say as a loyal customer they were giving me £100 in restaurant vouchers. I thought they must be doing well out of me to offer me that and they were :)

With the TV companies you get notified, we are increasing by X then another one saying we are increasing by Y every few months. Other than those who have the increases without being notified about them. You never get a decrease:). They push up what you have negotiated to what you were paying before. You have to find the energy to negotiate every 18 months or so. I would much rather be charged a fair price, accepting they need to make a profit.  
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    I'd also make a law that companies can't raise prices within a contract and if they do, the contract is voided. At least set a percentage limit by how much prices can be raised.
  • Options
    @SporadicAddick - if this helps, below is the TV element of your bill with what I have just agreed in brackets:

Sky Entertainment £26       (£22 - Renamed Sky Signature)
         Box sets               £5        (Nil - Don't have this)
         Kids                     £5        (£2)
         Complete Sports £13       (£6)
         Cinema               £11     (£11)
         Sports HD           £2         (£2)
         Sky HD                £7         (£3)
         SkyQ Multirooom £7.50 ( £10)
         Ultimate TV Add-on Nil    (£5  Believe this is for the Netflix add-on)   

Total £76.50    (£61)

@robinofottershaw  -  Appreciate that - cheers...
  • Options
    Just came across this. It appears Ofcom and Sky have a difference of opinion as to whether or not Sky is required to notify TV only subscribers that their current contracts are close to expiry.

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Timely thread.  I got my Sky package down to £88 per month in a Black Friday deal 18 months ago. I suppose I should have twigged that it was 18 months ago but they’ve just taken £137 from my account rising to £147 next month.  I expressed my displeasure about a lack of notification.  To add insult to injury, we’ve not had a sky dish since we moved to the Isle of Wight three months ago as we’d require planning permission so the only sky I’ve watched has been sports via Skygo on my laptop. Mrs SB has been watching Netflix, prime or sundry apps on the main tv via wifi.  To be honest, she’s not missed sky at all especially as she found sky Q frustrating to view.  So a conversation just now along the lines of “keeping my broadband and Telephone package (£45) but your having a laugh wanting £102 per month for your tv package especially as I don’t have a dish”  Best deal they could cut me even after doing the ritual dance with the retention team was £89 per month 
    Why do you need planning permission? You in a listed building?