Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Retained and released list - now out (p2)

Comments

• Options
    Glad we've approached Matthews as well, out of that list he'd be pretty high on my list of players I'd want us to keep, him and Gunter covers the RB position for me with Matthews 1st choice and Gunter back-up.
    Agreed....as long as he doesn't take too long to decide, like last season. Think that was probably a factor in us not seeing the best of him until pretty late on. 
  • Options
    Didn't someone have Oztumer being released on @Dazzler21 's list too? 
    I'd have bet my house, every penny I have and even my bollocks on that happening
    # Awaits a homeless,skint man sitting on a rubber ring in the doorway of The Valley Superstore🤭
    Fortunately I should be ok. I tried to place the bet with Ladbrokes but they refused my bollocks as payment so I walked out. 
  • Options
    Slightly surprised Ben Dempsey has been offered another deal as I suspect lower L1/L2 will be his ceiling

I see we've offered contracts to both the keepers named Nathan, Harness and Harvey. With Beadle coming through, it feels like we have an excess of young keepers
    Charlton are remarkably similar to Kent Cricket in that respect - produce plenty of quality keepers but not many players that are the footballing equivalent of fast bowling wicket takers, namely strikers!
    Was Dilley the last Kent quick to play for England?

I've just looked him up on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Dilley, he died at only 52 and he had the great nickname of Picca.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Dazzler21 said:
    Have to say our list contains so much detail. I really like it. 

Didn't Afrane-Kasey only get promoted to the 23's mid season, seems harsh to suddenly be getting rid. Only player with a contract running out we didn't hear about is Osaghe? Unless he renewed in the season?

Also still a lot of dates we have no idea on in the academy & u23's

Here's how we stand (as I understand it)

@Dazzler21 no Watson?
  • Options
    With the statement saying Stockley has returned to his parent club does that mean he has gone as in not returning ?
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    With the statement saying Stockley has returned to his parent club does that mean he has gone as in not returning ?
    I wouldn't read too much into it, it's true as he's a Preston player. Don't think it rules anything out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    I'd imagine this line was about Stockley...."There were a couple of the loan players that we are also interested in to see if they can become permanent signings."

And Famewo I imagine. 

You can't look at the outstanding record he and Inniss had together and not want to have them both. 
    Any info on Josh Davison ?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Slightly surprised Ben Dempsey has been offered another deal as I suspect lower L1/L2 will be his ceiling

I see we've offered contracts to both the keepers named Nathan, Harness and Harvey. With Beadle coming through, it feels like we have an excess of young keepers
    Charlton are remarkably similar to Kent Cricket in that respect - produce plenty of quality keepers but not many players that are the footballing equivalent of fast bowling wicket takers, namely strikers!

I've just looked him up on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Dilley, he died at only 52 and he had the great nickname of Picca.
    Igglesden, Khan and Saggers have played since Dilley.

I was stuck in a lift once with Graham. He didn't like confined spaces so he simply pulled the lift doors apart and we all clambered out. Immensely strong man!

Back to rumours....
  • Options
    Pedro45 said:

Igglesden, Khan and Saggers have played since Dilley.

I was stuck in a lift once with Graham. He didn't like confined spaces so he simply pulled the lift doors apart and we all clambered out. Immensely strong man!

Back to rumours....
    Headley as well, though 3 of those 4 weren't Kent produced
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    I'd imagine this line was about Stockley...."There were a couple of the loan players that we are also interested in to see if they can become permanent signings."

And Famewo I imagine. 

You can't look at the outstanding record he and Inniss had together and not want to have them both. 
    Any info on Josh Davison ?
    He's already under contract for next season
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Good luck to the Academy players that have been released.

Someone posted the released lists from the last two years yesterday and the only player I could see that didnt have a club on TransferMarkt or elsewhere was Kenneth Yao, so the careers for those released is by no means done and dusted just yet.

Ben Dempsey certainly surprises me in terms of being kept on, perhaps its the beauty of the Salary Cap going as fully expected him to go had that still been in place... Hopefully if he goes on loan next season it'll be to a League Two team
  • Options
    Belv said:
    Didn't Ben Watson trigger an extra year?

Surely we're not looking to sign him up beyond that.

Not sure how it works with them triggering a 2nd year. My assumption is it would be under the same terms as the previous year but perhaps they're looking to revise certain elements of it
    Probably looking to revise so that it doesn't trigger another year.
  • Options

Someone posted the released lists from the last two years yesterday and the only player I could see that didnt have a club on TransferMarkt or elsewhere was Kenneth Yao, so the careers for those released is by no means done and dusted just yet.

Ben Dempsey certainly surprises me in terms of being kept on, perhaps its the beauty of the Salary Cap going as fully expected him to go had that still been in place... Hopefully if he goes on loan next season it'll be to a League Two team
    With someone like Dempsey, it would make little sense offering him a 1 year deal and then loaning him out. He's either good enough now for the first team squad now or a star for the future who deserves a longer contract
  • Options

With someone like Dempsey, it would make little sense offering him a 1 year deal and then loaning him out. He's either good enough now for the first team squad now or a star for the future who deserves a longer contract
    I actually don’t think he will make it, will likely settle as a L2 player. However sometimes it isn’t as cut and dry as ready for the first team or a star of the future, plenty of players are bang in th middle. They get an extra year to see how they develop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Normally I’d agree, but perhaps with TS as owner and the salary cap gone we have more room to give some young players a bit longer to develop. If he can have a good season in League 2 he may have a chance with us. If he does really well he could even be recalled in January.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Re Kent fast bowlers playing for England, we shouldn't forget that Martin McCague played once, against Australia, the country where he grew up.
    Apologies for going off-topic.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Surprised to see Junior Quitirna let go. Thought he was mustard. Maybe I'm looking at the skills rather than his overall game though.

In [knowledgeable football person] we trust.
  • Options

I suspect this is the case for most non-"elite" clubs. A young striker scoring loads in the academy or a tricky winger will stand out more than a good goalkeeper or defender. Hence why they get hoovered up by the big clubs at a younger age
  • Options
    chev said:
    No wonder we didn't get promoted - that formation will literally leak goals.
    It's known as a '10 man tight diamond' AS you note it makes us a bit exposed on the wings but pass completion rates go through the roof with this formation.
  • Options
    Very pleased if Watson and Pearce stay another year.Our young midfielders can certainly Learn off Watson,positional play,the easy pass,defensive duties.Although Pearce should not be a regular starter,how many times did he let us down when playing alongside a more mobile centre back,rarely,a good guy to have in your squad,and I should imagine in the dressing room.