Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Retained and released list - now out (p2)

124»

Comments

• Options
    Ferryman said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    With the statement saying Stockley has returned to his parent club does that mean he has gone as in not returning ?
    I'd imagine this line was about Stockley...."There were a couple of the loan players that we are also interested in to see if they can become permanent signings."

And Famewo I imagine. 

You can't look at the outstanding record he and Inniss had together and not want to have them both. 
    Any info on Josh Davison ?
    He's grown his hair long.
    *Again

• Options
    Pedro45 said:
    Slightly surprised Ben Dempsey has been offered another deal as I suspect lower L1/L2 will be his ceiling

I see we've offered contracts to both the keepers named Nathan, Harness and Harvey. With Beadle coming through, it feels like we have an excess of young keepers
    Charlton are remarkably similar to Kent Cricket in that respect - produce plenty of quality keepers but not many players that are the footballing equivalent of fast bowling wicket takers, namely strikers!
    Was Dilley the last Kent quick to play for England?

I've just looked him up on Wikipedia, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Dilley, he died at only 52 and he had the great nickname of Picca.
    Igglesden, Khan and Saggers have played since Dilley.

I was stuck in a lift once with Graham. He didn't like confined spaces so he simply pulled the lift doors apart and we all clambered out. Immensely strong man!

Back to rumours....
    Headley as well, though 3 of those 4 weren't Kent produced
    Martin Mc Cague too.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:
    With the statement saying Stockley has returned to his parent club does that mean he has gone as in not returning ?
    I'd imagine this line was about Stockley...."There were a couple of the loan players that we are also interested in to see if they can become permanent signings."

And Famewo I imagine. 

You can't look at the outstanding record he and Inniss had together and not want to have them both. 
    *Again

I saw him play a couple of games for FGR towards the end of the season.
    I regret to say he didn't impress.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:

And Famewo I imagine. 

*Again

Didn't even get on in their play off game. 

Real shame as he looked exciting when breaking into the side, but not particularly quick or skillful. Another workman up top. 
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:

And Famewo I imagine. 

*Again

Real shame as he looked exciting when breaking into the side, but not particularly quick or skillful. Another workman up top. 
    He came on right at the end

A squad player for FGR, and Woking were quite sniffy about him when he was recalled from them...
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    Ferryman said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    AndyG said:

And Famewo I imagine. 

*Again

He came on right at the end

A squad player for FGR, and Woking were quite sniffy about him when he was recalled from them...
    He has something about him 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Good luck to the Academy players that have been released.

Someone posted the released lists from the last two years yesterday and the only player I could see that didnt have a club on TransferMarkt or elsewhere was Kenneth Yao, so the careers for those released is by no means done and dusted just yet.

Ben Dempsey certainly surprises me in terms of being kept on, perhaps its the beauty of the Salary Cap going as fully expected him to go had that still been in place... Hopefully if he goes on loan next season it'll be to a League Two team
    With someone like Dempsey, it would make little sense offering him a 1 year deal and then loaning him out. He's either good enough now for the first team squad now or a star for the future who deserves a longer contract
    Normally I’d agree, but perhaps with TS as owner and the salary cap gone we have more room to give some young players a bit longer to develop. If he can have a good season in League 2 he may have a chance with us. If he does really well he could even be recalled in January.
    No doubt the club has been impressed with his performances throughout the season at Woking?
    He's been a regular 1st team player there.

All loaned out players are monitored closely.

• Options
    Vincenzo said:
    Surprised to see Junior Quitirna let go. Thought he was mustard. Maybe I'm looking at the skills rather than his overall game though.

In [knowledgeable football person] we trust.
    Maybe his small stature counted against him?

• Options
    edited July 2021
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60e2c532e563d/academy-player-update-new-contracts-and-new-arrivals

left back Jacob Roddy arrives from Bradfield College in Reading

Wonder if he was at Reading at the same time as Adkins and Ged Roddy...?
  • Options
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/60e2c532e563d/academy-player-update-new-contracts-and-new-arrivals

Is he Ged’s kid?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Is he Ged’s kid?
    Would be surprised if he wasnt
  • Options
    We seem to have a really good crop of U18s ready to step up. What’s the situation with Beadle the keeper?
  • Options

“We already had Charlie Barker, Euan Williams and Aaron Henry on professional contracts, and now have Naz Bakrin, Jimmy Appiah, Jeremy Santos, Richard Chin, Terrell Agyemang, Dylan Gavin and Mason Burstow. So there’s actually 12 first year professionals - I think it’s the highest number of first year professionals we’ve ever had. It’s going to be a young U23 group but we feel lots of potential there, an exciting group.

“I reflect back on the two years and these individuals have been a significant part of the success of the U18s in this past season. What I feel we’ve got there is individuals who are dedicated, they listen, they’re coachable. I feel they’re quite strong, the majority of them in terms of the resilience side of the game, which is needed on a day-to-day basis. Above all else, because this is important, I see individuals who enjoy every day here at Charlton. They love the game. It sounds an obvious thing to state, but I’m keen on observing that in young players that they do enjoy their day-to-day work.”

It's difficult to let any youngster go but what we appear to be doing is trying to give early experience to younger players we believe might make it rather than keeping older ones who, on the basis of all known factors to date, aren't going to be good enough.

A change of strategy as a result of the new Adkins/Roddy regime? Or just a very good crop of youngsters?

• Options
    We seem to have a really good crop of U18s ready to step up. What’s the situation with Beadle the keeper?
    Still there and still wanted by other (higher division) club, but fortunately he's got his head screwed on (and his dad's a CAFC fan).
  • Options

“We already had Charlie Barker, Euan Williams and Aaron Henry on professional contracts, and now have Naz Bakrin, Jimmy Appiah, Jeremy Santos, Richard Chin, Terrell Agyemang, Dylan Gavin and Mason Burstow. So there’s actually 12 first year professionals - I think it’s the highest number of first year professionals we’ve ever had. It’s going to be a young U23 group but we feel lots of potential there, an exciting group.

“I reflect back on the two years and these individuals have been a significant part of the success of the U18s in this past season. What I feel we’ve got there is individuals who are dedicated, they listen, they’re coachable. I feel they’re quite strong, the majority of them in terms of the resilience side of the game, which is needed on a day-to-day basis. Above all else, because this is important, I see individuals who enjoy every day here at Charlton. They love the game. It sounds an obvious thing to state, but I’m keen on observing that in young players that they do enjoy their day-to-day work.”

It's difficult to let any youngster go but what we appear to be doing is trying to give early experience to younger players we believe might make it rather than keeping older ones who, on the basis of all known factors to date, aren't going to be good enough.

A change of strategy as a result of the new Adkins/Roddy regime? Or just a very good crop of youngsters?

I think it’s more that we had a really good U18 squad and a pretty average set of U23s who were never going to make it 

I’m surprised we kept Dempsey on, but he can do a job for us as another workhorse in midfield 
  • Options
    I imagine a bit of both. If we don’t promote enough we have to sign young pros from elsewhere to give us a big enough squad to play the games.

I think it was Gallen who talked along the lines of there being gap in the u23s in terms of players who they expect to make the step up, while the u18s (presumably some of this group) had players with potential.

Also worth keeping in mind we’re at the point where the youngsters coming through now joined us a League 1 or struggling Championship side. We must have missed out on players who would have signed had the first team been doing better.
  • Options
    Can I be the first to moan that we let Joe Watkins leave for Forest.

😜
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Viggars is another Bradfield boy… 

edit : I think my info was wrong there.  Roddy’s son is by all accounts average - I have good sources there . 
  • Options
    Capital, capital. More poshos. More true class
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

He wasn’t with Reading FC. He was on a scholarship at Bradfield College. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I imagine a bit of both. If we don’t promote enough we have to sign young pros from elsewhere to give us a big enough squad to play the games.

I think it was Gallen who talked along the lines of there being gap in the u23s in terms of players who they expect to make the step up, while the u18s (presumably some of this group) had players with potential.

Also worth keeping in mind we’re at the point where the youngsters coming through now joined us a League 1 or struggling Championship side. We must have missed out on players who would have signed had the first team been doing better.
    Also we need to be able to put out a reasonably competitive U23 side. 
    It'll need some experience and physicality, therefore a number of last season's U23 needed to carry and help bed in the 18 year olds.

Remember, some of these 18 year olds, while promising and having plenty of ability, aren't yet fully physically developed and are still learning the resilience and mental strength side of the game.