Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Curbishley Stand

Probably one of our most successful managers in recent times, twice taking us to the Premiership and helping us stay there for 8 seasons - what’s your thoughts on this stand ? 

Comments

• Options
    I can't believe they spelt Curbishley wrong....
  • Options
    At least they have the S the right way up - unlike when the Ferguson stand was unveiled, using a font with uneven sized loops on the S and with the larger loop at the top instead of the bottom!

Good to see this happening.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Pedro45 said:
    I can't believe they spelt Curbishley wrong....
    Everyone scrolls back to the picture!!
    Gave yourself away there Bob!! B) 
  • Options
    Probably one of our most successful managers in recent times, twice taking us to the Premiership and helping us stay there for 8 seasons - what’s your thoughts on this stand ? 
    Richly deserved - no probablies about it though - he is our most successful manager in recent times 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Still waiting for them to hang a broken bell somewhere daft and name it after Karrl Fraeye. Not the same as Curbs, but needs remembering too.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Bah Humbug....not a fan. The name of the club (and ground) is bigger than any individual. 

Nothing but respect for AC and all he did but if it were my choice I wouldn't have renamed the stand. Statues, stands and commemoration should be done long after the event it celebrates, to create a connection with something that can't be recreated. That's why The Jimmy Seed Stand, and the Bartram Statue works.  

Notwithstanding that, it was a popular decision and I accept I'm in the minority (possibly of one).

Now that it's done, let's hope they repaint the fascia so you can't still read the ghost sign of "Charlton Athletic Football Club".

edit - I see from the picture that it is being repainted....
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    i've always felt the Sam Bartram statue is poor - not captured the big burly bloke that he was  
  • Options
    Mmm, although I like the name change, I prefer the club’s name up there.
  • Options
    Blimey !
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    What a fucking cheek Rodney Trotter !
    I have a science degree...can barely read indeed. Quite prejudiced opinion for a self acclaimed 'educated supporter.
    Might have a science degree, but can't work out a fucking joke. Maybe you should have joined clown school instead. 

• Options
    Any chance the previous letters will be auctioned? I know the museum will probably have a few but I'd love one framed (preferably the H for my boys room :)) and itf raise a nice bit for the upbeats 
  • Options
    Perhaps it’s should say S I R    C U R B S   S T A N D 
  • Options
    Wonder if they fixed the floodlights when they were up there?
  • Options
    Bit premature imo. His second spell at the club could end up being a disaster. 
  • Options
    Wonder if they fixed the floodlights when they were up there?
    Hope so. I sit in the NWQ and it does my ocd no favours with the amount of floodlights out over there
  • Options
    Bah Humbug....not a fan. The name of the club (and ground) is bigger than any individual. 

Nothing but respect for AC and all he did but if it were my choice I wouldn't have renamed the stand. Statues, stands and commemoration should be done long after the event it celebrates, to create a connection with something that can't be recreated. That's why The Jimmy Seed Stand, and the Bartram Statue works.  

Notwithstanding that, it was a popular decision and I accept I'm in the minority (possibly of one).

Now that it's done, let's hope they repaint the fascia so you can't still read the ghost sign of "Charlton Athletic Football Club".

edit - I see from the picture that it is being repainted....
    Did I miss the part where we're now called Alan Curbishley Athletic and playing at The Alan Curbishley Valley? It's a stand that would otherwise be named after a compass direction. It'll be OK.
    Clearly referring to the removal of "Charlton Athletic Football Club" and replacing it with the new name....
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Great to be back yesterday and see this, although the s in Curbishley looked wonky.