Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Alan Curbishley Stand

Comments

• Options
    Bah Humbug....not a fan. The name of the club (and ground) is bigger than any individual. 

Nothing but respect for AC and all he did but if it were my choice I wouldn't have renamed the stand. Statues, stands and commemoration should be done long after the event it celebrates, to create a connection with something that can't be recreated. That's why The Jimmy Seed Stand, and the Bartram Statue works.  

Notwithstanding that, it was a popular decision and I accept I'm in the minority (possibly of one).

Now that it's done, let's hope they repaint the fascia so you can't still read the ghost sign of "Charlton Athletic Football Club".

edit - I see from the picture that it is being repainted....
    Did I miss the part where we're now called Alan Curbishley Athletic and playing at The Alan Curbishley Valley? It's a stand that would otherwise be named after a compass direction. It'll be OK.
    Clearly referring to the removal of "Charlton Athletic Football Club" and replacing it with the new name....
    Do you need the name of the team written on the stand to remember where you are? It's not called the Charlton Athletic Stand so having the name there was just to have something there because writing 'East' on it is a bit pointless. The team play there, we know where we are, there's absolutely no harm in naming a stand after a club legend.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Bah Humbug....not a fan. The name of the club (and ground) is bigger than any individual. 

Nothing but respect for AC and all he did but if it were my choice I wouldn't have renamed the stand. Statues, stands and commemoration should be done long after the event it celebrates, to create a connection with something that can't be recreated. That's why The Jimmy Seed Stand, and the Bartram Statue works.  

Notwithstanding that, it was a popular decision and I accept I'm in the minority (possibly of one).

Now that it's done, let's hope they repaint the fascia so you can't still read the ghost sign of "Charlton Athletic Football Club".

Did I miss the part where we're now called Alan Curbishley Athletic and playing at The Alan Curbishley Valley? It's a stand that would otherwise be named after a compass direction. It'll be OK.
    Clearly referring to the removal of "Charlton Athletic Football Club" and replacing it with the new name....
    Do you need the name of the team written on the stand to remember where you are? It's not called the Charlton Athletic Stand so having the name there was just to have something there because writing 'East' on it is a bit pointless. The team play there, we know where we are, there's absolutely no harm in naming a stand after a club legend.
    I did say I know I'm in the minority...I get that you like it....
  • Options
    Wonder if they fixed the floodlights when they were up there?
    They didn't - only one lit at the away end.
  • Options
    It’s perfect. 
  • Options
    wish we moved quicker signing players 
  • Options
    Great stuff. Thank you to all involved. From the creation of the petition through to the final result.  :)
  • Options
    Great stuff. Thank you to all involved. From the creation of the petition through to the final result.  :)
    What was the result?
  • Options
    Going to be a great day 🤞🏻
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    Maybe just this once, the players can put in a decent performance and get a win on a landmark day.

Normally a milestone, celebratory, or special event results in a shocking game and a defeat, especially if it's on Sky.

Today we have:

... the official renaming of the Lord Llewellyn Stand;
    ... the first "proper" (i.e. post-shutdown, not restricted) matchday crowd for 18 months;
    ... the first proper matchday crowd to welcome the noble Earl Sandgaard;
    ... the first matchday crowd of any description to welcome Nads to the club;
    ... a chance to welcome the cheating northerners to their rightful place in Division Three (albeit a year too late) and rub the f***ers' collective noses in it.

With all that happening today surely something must change?

Come on, let's give Lord LCC (and everyone else) the match the occasion deserves and give Chef Wendy a shellacking of the highest order.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Maybe just this once, the players can put in a decent performance and get a win on a landmark day.

Normally a milestone, celebratory, or special event results in a shocking game and a defeat, especially if it's on Sky.

Today we have:

... the official renaming of the Lord Llewellyn Stand;
    ... the first "proper" (i.e. post-shutdown, not restricted) matchday crowd for 18 months;
    ... the first proper matchday crowd to welcome the noble Earl Sandgaard;
    ... the first matchday crowd of any description to welcome Nads to the club;
    ... a chance to welcome the cheating northerners to their rightful place in Division Three (albeit a year too late) and rub the f***ers' collective noses in it.

With all that happening today surely something must change?

Come on, let's give Lord LCC (and everyone else) the match the occasion deserves and give Chef Wendy a shellacking of the highest order.
    Yes today has the feel of "operation" to it plus it is live on Sky..................................what could possibly go wrong? 
  • Options
    Another one from the memory bank. Today is going to be a strangely nostalgic day I think

• Options
    Oh Alan , I love you 
    now I’m gonna sit in traffic to pay my respects to you you fucking legend 
  • Options

The one that always made me chuckle at was the holmesdale end at selhurst. The seats spell out EAGLES but because they had and extra section of seating they added an exclamation mark at the end. 
  • Options
    The best days of my football supporting life - potentially the best I will ever experience - are down to the Curbs era.

For all the crap since - those days under Curbs feel more and more special looking back,
  • Options
    What a fucking cheek Rodney Trotter !
    I have a science degree...can barely read indeed. Quite prejudiced opinion for a self acclaimed 'educated supporter.

I've been a season ticket holder in the Covered End for longer than I can remember.  It was a joke professor.

Not sure what a science degree has got to do with reading....just chucking stuff in test tubes for 3 years innit.

Yours faithfully, 

Cheeky Rodders, Orpington College alumni class of 98
     I am not a professor.  Secondly it is not for you to feel abused by my statement.  However I am offended by your 'joke' followed by an attempt to belittle me by calling  me a professor having said we are all illiterate in 'The Covered End'. 

That is always the excuse isn't it. You insult people for a cheap personal laugh then claim it is a joke and the victim is in the wrong for complaining. 

What a f***k**g cheek.

Jesus. It pains me to say it, but I think I preferred the days when OAPs had no clue about the internet and would just sit there all day dribbling, stinking of piss and looking out of the "sunny window".

(and yes, that IS a joke by the way!)
  • Options
    Jessie said:

Watched this just now and tears rolled down my face.......

Hopefully it will be a win this afternoon to make the occasion perfect.

Blimey curbs....never seen you like before.

Charlton ledgend 👍
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m in the Curbs Stand now. Very disappointing. Basically the same as the old East Stand.
    Oi Curbs, since it's your stand how about replacing the hand dryers with decent ones  ;)
  • Options
    Could barely hear any of the old players being called onto the pitch from the Covered End upper.  Either the sound system is poor or the guy doing the announcing is not clear enough
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    Could barely hear any of the old players being called onto the pitch from the Covered End upper.  Either the sound system is poor or the guy doing the announcing is not clear enough
    it was very loud in the East. Amazing how it varies so much in different areas. 
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    The moron with the drum didn’t help. Doesn’t he know that this was an important moment for a lot of us. He can bang the drum to his hearts content while the game is on but can’t respect a Charlton legend.
  • Options
    I couldn’t understand the logic in fans singing over Curbs talking during that moment?
  • Options
    He deserves the honour and you can tell it means a lot to him.
  • Options
    In North Stand you hear nothing. Sound system rubbish. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:
    I couldn’t understand the logic in fans singing over Curbs talking during that moment?
    Because you can't here fk all in the covered End, already been said above. 
  • Options
    Really disappointing… couldn’t hear any of the sound and the fans singing over Curbs talking to be honest felt disrespectful 
  • Options
    edited August 2021
    shine166 said:
    cafctom said:
    Because you can't here fk all in the covered End, already been said above. 
    Well you’ll hear even less if you choose to just sing over him!

I could hear him fine in the East, until that started.