Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is anyone else not fussed about Englands progress in the euros?

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    My 17yo grandson who's got his first season ticket but has never been to The Valley, although he has been to some away games, has been warned that he'd better get used to the despair he feels today on a regular basis.  :(  
  • Options
    I actually think I'm going to struggle to go back to Charlton. I've really enjoyed watching some decent football. People said the soul was gone from football. A lot of people said these England players only care about money. This tournament proved that wrong. I'm gutted this morning, feel totally flat and can't concentrate on work at all. When it comes round to watching Charlton hoofing it up to Stockley and Watson wandering around the pitch, I'm not sure my heart is it anymore. Or maybe I'm not thinking clearly today. 
    Yeah I feel like that but times a healer and getting back down the valley will make the world right again 
    Since moving to Yorkshire I feel cut off anyway. Being born in 1990 I was absolutely spoilt as a child. Had a season ticket from 7 through to 18, just got very lucky that they were mostly superb times, my childhood is filled with happy memories from the Valley. I don't get down too often, I enjoy going to new grounds but after going to Uni it's pretty much coincided with our shite ownership. Was planning on heading down for the first game so hopefully I feel differently soon!
  • Options
    My feelings this morning are identical to when Charlton lose a big game for a day or two afterwards, gut wrenching, empty except so many what ifs. This time yesterday I was a hyped up emotional wreck, welling over with pride in anything connected to this sceptered Isle! 

I am not right in the way I feel and in some ways envy those who couldn't care a less this morning. Equally I feel sad for them that they couldn't enjoy the last few weeks to the extent I have, each to their own. Ready now to focuss on the Addicks again starting with Welling! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    I used to get down for a couple of days after a Charlton defeat and indeed an important England one. My first way of dealing with it was to just mope around and avoid people until my mood changed. Then when I became a father, I just couldn't do that and I forced myself not to get too down as a matter of responsibility. It seemed to work. I am upset I am not feeling the elation, but I certainly don't feel too upset. Looking forward to the World Cup now! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Last night after the game I was a little gutted but happy to see my country in a final. This morning realisation hit how close we were to winning a trophy and how it's quite possible we might not make it to another final for 55 years again.

Proper Gutted.
  • Options
    Last night after the game I was a little gutted but happy to see my country in a final. This morning realisation hit how close we were to winning a trophy and how it's quite possible we might not make it to another final for 55 years again.

Proper Gutted.
    I felt more gutted with Italia 90 and Euro 96 - was more connected with the way we played and upset with the way we went out. 
    I was disappointed with the way we played last night and didn't feel we deserved to win.
  • Options
    I’m absolutely gutted, for all the reasons other posters of a similar mindset have given. RodneyCharltonTrotter’s post hit the nail on the head for me.

I really wanted it last night. I wanted that lifelong memory. And we’ve never been closer than that for so long.

Charlton is my first love, but England at major tournaments just has a different intensity altogether.
  • Options
    Absolutely deflated! 
    The euros, with obviously England in particular, was something tangible to look forward to… now almost as if nothing happened!

the games were great, the wins immense- but just feels ‘pointless’ a little now- the ‘once in a lifetime’ game has been lost.

Really hoping Charlton can bring the success we so desperately need and desire, although I’m not confident! 
  • Options
    I'm not the biggest England fan, I must admit. I'd always put Charlton ahead when it comes to results. But....when I look back on my football journey, England games define times. The amazement of 86, the pain of 90, the pissed up nearly men of 96, watching Columbia in the rain at Glastonbury in 98, early morning beers for Brazil in 2002. Proper defining moments I won't forget. The last world cup was great, but let's be honest we lucked our way to the semi's. These Euros seemed different, like we were destined to win it! I watched the game with my two boys and I desperately wanted us to do it. Was absolutely gutted at the end, gutted.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When Charlton lose I have the hump for the rest of the weekend.

Last night when we missed the last penalty, I turned the television off and went to bed. I barely gave the game a second thought.

Until I read this thread I haven’t given last night anymore thought.

Same for me, we are in Cornwall for the week so not going to let last night spoil a good holiday. 
  • Options
    Absolutely gutted we will never have a better opportunity to win a major for many many years again ..
  • Options
    Absolutely gutted we will never have a better opportunity to win a major for many many years again ..
    I have to agree with you there, we had a lot of cards stacked in our favour for this tournament and we blew it. I am certainly not one of those that think we have turned the corner and will now be a major force in upcoming tournaments.

I personally think we will back to last 16 or quarter finals especially in World Cups when the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc are present.
  • Options
    I just think it's funny how we are all different.
    My wife can never tell whether we have won lost or drawn.
    Blimey done nearly all the aways a couple of seasons ago when we got relegated.
    I would of had some right blinding weekends if I let a loss affect me weekend
  • Options
    I have to agree with you there, we had a lot of cards stacked in our favour for this tournament and we blew it. I am certainly not one of those that think we have turned the corner and will now be a major force in upcoming tournaments.

I personally think we will back to last 16 or quarter finals especially in World Cups when the likes of Brazil, Argentina etc are present.
    After many years of doing nothing we've reached a WC semi and a Euro final, that is surely turning a corner? I can remember tournaments where we didn't even get out of the group stages, and as recently as 2008 we didn't even qualify for the Euro's.
  • Options
    Southgate made some bad decisions last. Not getting Grealish on earlier was criminal as we needed to avoid pens as we really haven’t the nerve. And then putting Rashford and Sancho on them with no lead in time and the young boy. 
    No one is ever going to want to take a pen after the abuse they get afterwards so we are back stuck in the cycle! 
    No goals ruled out controversially or red cards was a positive !!!
  • Options

After many years of doing nothing we've reached a WC semi and a Euro final, that is surely turning a corner? I can remember tournaments where we didn't even get out of the group stages, and as recently as 2008 we didn't even qualify for the Euro's.
    And in both cases we had favourable draws in the knock out stages. These opportunities don’t come along that often and you have to grab them however we cocked up both times. 

We will probably find ourselves in a “group of death” for the next few tournaments or play one of the favourites in the last 16 and go out.
  • Options

Have you seen Brazil and Argentina’s teams? 

Mad if you think a WC semi and and a Euro final back to back isn’t turning a corner.
  • Options
    I'd argue the euros are more difficult than the world Cup. Yes you have Brazil and Argentina but you also have fewer European teams in it. 
  • Options
    Happy to be proved wrong gents, let’s wait and see what happens in the WC 2022.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'd argue the euros are more difficult than the world Cup. Yes you have Brazil and Argentina but you also have fewer European teams in it. 
    I'd argue that the bad European teams are replaced by better teams from around the globe 
  • Options

And in both cases we had favourable draws in the knock out stages. These opportunities don’t come along that often and you have to grab them however we cocked up both times. 

We will probably find ourselves in a “group of death” for the next few tournaments or play one of the favourites in the last 16 and go out.
    No one is going to disagree that last night will probably be our best chance to win something but it certainly doesn't mean that we can't get to the latter stages in future tournaments.

14 of our Euro squad are 25 and under. Shaw, Stones, Kane and Sterling are all 26-27. This squad can definitely do well in Qatar and the 2024 Euro's.
  • Options

No one is going to disagree that last night will probably be our best chance to win something but it certainly doesn't mean that we can't get to the latter stages in future tournaments.

14 of our Euro squad are 25 and under. Shaw, Stones, Kane and Sterling are all 26-27. This squad can definitely do well in Qatar and the 2024 Euro's.
    I will book mark this page and catch up with you after said tournaments  ;)
  • Options
    Many said after 2018 that it was an ‘easy run’ and that ‘we’ll never have a chance like it’. They were wrong, as this tournament has shown.

Plus, this squad is not the sort of squad that is a Group Stage/Round of 16 level side. There are a number of top players there, and others coming through the ranks. 

Players like Foden, Sancho, Grealish, Mount, Grealish, Mount, Bellingham. Saka ALL have 3-4 tournaments left in them as a minimum. No reason to think they can’t challenge again.
  • Options
    So gutted. Feels worse now than coming out the ground last night