Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is anyone else not fussed about Englands progress in the euros?

Comments

• Options
    The first I had heard of Ben White was on on this thread in the last 48 hours.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Couldn’t care less about the national team and will be having a few quid on them going out in the group stages.
    Double Whammy.

Wasting your money and looking like a knob at the same time. 

Congratulations!
    Actually, gobshite, I’m a Scotland supporter. I made money when Costa Rica won the group in 2014 at 50-1 and England crashed out. 

Wanker.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Couldn’t care less about the national team and will be having a few quid on them going out in the group stages.
    Double Whammy.

Congratulations!
    Actually, gobshite, I’m a Scotland supporter. I made money when Costa Rica won the group in 2014 at 50-1 and England crashed out. 

Wanker.
    Ouch. I hope you do win something just to keep morale up. It must be painful supporting Scotland. Sadly the odds on Scotland crashing out aren't as generous for some reason.

In all seriousness though why comment? If you're Scottish then this thread doesn't apply to you. You've tried to make it sound like you're English.

Strange behaviour.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Double Whammy.

Congratulations!

Wanker.
    Ouch. I hope you do win something just to keep morale up. It must be painful supporting Scotland. Sadly the odds on Scotland crashing out aren't as generous for some reason.

In all seriousness though why comment? If you're Scottish then this thread doesn't apply to you. You've tried to make it sound like you're English.

Strange behaviour.
    You’re right, there’s no value in backing Scotland at current prices. England not to qualify isn’t a bad price at 28-1 though. 5-1 to win the tournament is a joke.
    I actually think that following England must be as painful because of the expectation levels.
    Im not a Scotland fan who despises England, I just think they’re over rated in most tournaments.
    Apologies for commenting in a thread that doesn’t apply to me.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    and penalty shootouts - i would have them practicing every day - of course you can't replicate the pressure but you can increase your chances with the practice, without a doubt in my mind. Pick a spot and do it 20 times a day.   
    I cannot understand why previous managers didn't practise them. Batty said he had never taken one, not even in practice, after he missed. That's ridiculous. They should end every practice session with penalties.
    Absolutely. I would go further and get every player to take 10 penalties a day with the others trying to put him off behind the goal.

Add up the days' stats and make a list of the best from that.

The argument that you can't replicate is nonsense. It's like an actor taking the stage without rehearsals. It's never the same as on the night but you have to rehearse / practise.
  • Options
    One interesting thing on reading these comments is peoples' love of a summer tournament. Just another reason to think a winter World Cup held in Qatar is going to be pretty shit
    absolutely this - the WC in the run up to xmas just won't feel the same!
    I’m kind of looking forward to it in a way, be interesting to see if it has the same buzz, can imagine Xmas parties being arranged around it which would be pretty good for some but fucking horrendous for others 
    I think that they should have made it January. Audience figures would definitely be higher. There's too much other stuff going on in December. 

• Options
    Italia 90 for me was the 1st tournament as a kid I really got into and since then I have continued. You would think by now that I would be used to disappointment and not get upset when England fail, but nope it still hurts me every time. I don't cry as much as I used to do though😀

You are Charlton,  you are well used to it.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    Couldn't give a monkeys really regarding international's, the few I have watched in recent years have been a real bore, and usually turn off. Appreciate I will no doubt be in a minority, but there you are, you asked the question and I have given my honest answer.
    Having said that, I wish them good luck for the sake of all the fans watching and the country in general in these difficult times. B)

• Options
    Looking forward to the opening game 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Cooooooooommmmmmmmmmeeeeee onnnnn Engerlaaaannnnnnnnd.
  • Options
    tom_k said:
    no, I'm not really bothered about how England do. Why I'm not sure but probably due to 50 years of being let down time and time again by underperforming highly paid players who a lot of the time don't look like they give a toss. And I've always said if I had the choice of England say winning these Euros or Charlton taking a point in the first game of the season then I'd take the point all day long.
    Charlton getting one point in League One, over England Winning the Euros. This must be the most insane thing I have ever read on this website. 
    He is fishing surely.
  • Options
    Ok close the thread im hyped, that was amazing
  • Options
    My oh My how a difference of opinion divides a forum...thank goodness for free speech and varying ideas, how boring life would be should we all think the same things at the same time. B)
  • Options
    Would people take an interest in England if we had 2 Charlton players starting?

Im just trying to get my head wrapped around loving a sport and not following your country.
  • Options
    Please sink this shit. Fine, you've made your point.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Country over club for me always has been, not because I have less love for Charlton but following your country means something different.
  • Options
    Always flicked up by a tourney , I’ve watched less and less of the qualifying stuff as time goes by , other commitments and almost knowing we’d win against pure guff and in all honesty with palace cruising in the Prem match of the day hasn’t been watched in 7-8 years and prem footy I’m watching less and less of so I don’t know all of the players .
    Loved the game last night, can’t wait for Sunday , as I’m older I prefer to watch the game sober and with family for the mental loop if we score cos pissed i forget everything and i really hate people .
    Come next Friday when we play the sweatys I’ll be foaming at the mouth as if it was a fixture against the scum !
    Come on England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 
  • Options

Im just trying to get my head wrapped around loving a sport and not following your country.
    I was born in Croydon and lived near Selhurst park for a lot of my life. But I don't really care much about Palace. Still have a fondness for Liverpool though because I went to university there and enjoyed watching from the Kop. I was born and raised in England but I don't really care much about the England football team for some reason. No idea why I've never taken to them. I usually want my favourite players to do well in the World Cup or Euros. My favourite players are rarely English - but sometimes they are ! Certainly I would want any team with Charlton players to do well and beat England!
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I was born in Croydon and lived near Selhurst park for a lot of my life. But I don't really care much about Palace. Still have a fondness for Liverpool though because I went to university there and enjoyed watching from the Kop. I was born and raised in England but I don't really care much about the England football team for some reason. No idea why I've never taken to them. I usually want my favourite players to do well in the World Cup or Euros. My favourite players are rarely English - but sometimes they are ! Certainly I would want any team with Charlton players to do well and beat England!
    You’ve always have been quite strange, this confirms it.
  • Options
    A tournament has a special excitement that isn't replicated in day to day football. It is a treat to follow England, but also watch competitive games one after the other. Who would be interested in Wales v Switzerland? I am really looking forward to it. The anticipation of England's game tomorrow is a constant. Will Southgate go for it, will we click? Tournaments are special.
  • Options
    Wasn't overly fussed originally, but I'm well up for it now
  • Options
    Always flicked up by a tourney , I’ve watched less and less of the qualifying stuff as time goes by , other commitments and almost knowing we’d win against pure guff and in all honesty with palace cruising in the Prem match of the day hasn’t been watched in 7-8 years and prem footy I’m watching less and less of so I don’t know all of the players .
    Loved the game last night, can’t wait for Sunday , as I’m older I prefer to watch the game sober and with family for the mental loop if we score cos pissed i forget everything and i really hate people .
    Come next Friday when we play the sweatys I’ll be foaming at the mouth as if it was a fixture against the scum !
    Come on England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 

Laddick01 said:
    Laddick01 said:
    Double Whammy.

Feel like framing that quote.
    Never change oohaah  :)
  • Options
    My love of England stopped abruptly in 2006 following the Darren Bent snub by Erickson. 

When Sven took Theo Walcott to the World Cup, and despite being short of strikers and left Darren Bent behind, with Darren being the leading English goal scorer in the premiership I vowed never to support England ever again. I have kept to this vow.

Pre 2006 I attended a lot of England matches, since 2006 I take zero interest in England. I couldn’t even tell you who England are playing or when the competition starts.
    haha Just an outright lie isn't it
    Not a lie at all.
    I couldn’t give a toss who England are playing.

I honestly don’t know who England’s opponents are, or when the matches are being played.
    Feel sorry for you then.
  • Options
    I'll be honest; there was lad who scored for England in one of the friendlies that I genuinely had never heard of (Arsenal player...Saka?) 

In normal times I go to football every Saturday either to watch Charlton or Hendon but I've become almost totally detached from The Premier League & Champions League. Until a couple of weeks ago, I didn't even realise there was a Euro Championship this summer! 

Anyway...I might watch a bit of it, not least because I've got Italy in the cricket club sweepstake. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Will people be moaning a lot on here later on if Grealish is left out?

I don’t know how match fit he is at the moment, and whether he’ll be suited for coming on from off the bench.

Never been as excited as this for a 1-1 draw!