Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is anyone else not fussed about Englands progress in the euros?

Comments

• Options
    I’m as English as they come but I normally couldn’t give a rats arse about the national team. a few times when I’ve been abroad I’ve felt completely different when I’ve watched games tho.
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I love tournaments and always want England to do well. The bit I hate is living in Wales the bit of me inside that gloats when Wales lose I just cant stand the nationalistic shite that comes up all the time. Believe me the feeling i had when Wales beat us last time is beyond words and the tossers still havent stopped going on about it. BBC Wales even made a fucking documentary about it !!! Please god dont let's us lose to them this time 
    But we didn't lose to them last time, did we?

Were we in alternate realities because in mine we made a late comeback?
  • Options
    First tournament I remember watching was ‘66, and it’s all been downhill since, with ‘70 and ‘90 being particular low lights. 
    I still get the buzz during these tournament, but not like I used to. They seem to fly by anyhow, as you get older. 
    Quite like this team though, so I’ll be right behind them. 
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Have a really good feeling about this one. If Kane stays fit and Foden announces himself we could go all the way.
    Very excited and not normally so for England. Well, not since Euro 96 and Italy 90.
  • Options
    My allegiance lies with Charlton first and everything else pales into comparison after that, even when it comes to other sports. I'm also spoilt for choice - so tend to do what is an ironically English (well, certainly British) thing, and root for countries of my heritage that are more likely to be underdogs. In my case it tends to be Ireland, though it's not like I'm averse to England doing well or anything. I do of course cop a lot of grief for my split allegiances though!
  • Options
    I'd love the elation of an England win. Failing that I want to feel absolutely gutted that we gave it everything, played well, were unlucky, were cheated etc. but lost, probably because the woodwork got in the way. 

The thing is there have been far too many times where we've left competitions on a whimper, normally following media coverage that had built hope and expectation on the back of Henry V's speech as his troops went into action at Agincourt.

In my advancing years I have learnt to prepare for all scenarios, I can lockdown disappointment pretty quickly, but as for Sunday?  'Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more'.    
  • Options
    Club before country every time.

I could not give a s*** whether they win or lose.
    Because you've been so loyal watching all those Charlton games last season...
    The gates were closed if I'm not mistaken.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    Club before country every time.

I could not give a s*** whether they win or lose.
    Because you've been so loyal watching all those Charlton games last season...
    Give 1990 a promote please.
    Zzzzzzz
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    I love tournaments and always want England to do well. The bit I hate is living in Wales the bit of me inside that gloats when Wales lose I just cant stand the nationalistic shite that comes up all the time. Believe me the feeling i had when Wales beat us last time is beyond words and the tossers still havent stopped going on about it. BBC Wales even made a fucking documentary about it !!! Please god dont let's us lose to them this time 
    But we didn't lose to them last time, did we?

Were we in alternate realities because in mine we made a late comeback?
    Maybe BBC Wales cut the feed to the match in the 55th minute and told the Welsh viewers that they’d won? Couldn’t take any risks, they had a documentary to make!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's the club v country debate. For me it's no contest. It will always be club. When I was younger I was more passionate about England but I do not feel the same these days. Don't know why really and will be getting behind the team of course on Sunday. Looking forward to a month of football now.
  • Options
    It's not what I voted for.
  • Options
    What would you rather, England guaranteed  to make at least the final, or Charlton are guaranteed to be unbeaten in the first 2 months of the season? 
    Gotta be Charlton for me. 
    England for me. Charlton have 46 games during the season to get things right. 92 games in fact in between major international tournaments.

England winning the World Cup or Charlton winning the FA Cup?
  • Options
    I want England to win the tournament with a passion.....and if they fail Italy. But England is the team where my heart is. I think it is an absolute scandal we have done so poorly since 1966 and it is about time we pulled our finger out.
  • Options
    I want England to win the tournament with a passion.....and if they fail Italy. But England is the team where my heart is. I think it is an absolute scandal we have done so poorly since 1966 and it is about time we pulled our finger out.
    I think we had a team capable of reaching the final in 1970.
    Following that we harboured a unjustified sense of entitlement and an exaggerated belief in our standing in the football world.
    I think for years our insular and parochial island outlook and domestic demand for the game to be played "our way" meant we fell way behind in innovative coaching ideas and changes in the world game and we were found wanting, at times to the point of ridicule.
    Things changed, certainly with the attraction of foreign players and coaches to the Premier League. I agree we certainly ought to have done a lot better over the last 20 to 30 years.
    We all have our views on why we haven't.
    We definitely have the players to go far in this tournament - we shall see!
  • Options
    Love International tournaments, never that fussed generally when England play, normally because it's against a minnow or a friendly, but love tournaments. Not just England but the amount of football is great. Working from home 3 days a week will bring an extra treat this year. 

I'd rather England won the Euros than Charlton got promoted, just. Mainly because the spirit of the country will go through the roof, at a time it needs it most. 
    Seriously? Don't get me wrong I'd love to see England do well but no way would I take them winning over Charlton getting promoted. This is the team I follow every week - not once every three months or so. 
  • Options
    Following that we harboured a unjustified sense of entitlement and an exaggerated belief in our standing in the football world.
    I think for years our insular and parochial island outlook and domestic demand for the game to be played "our way" meant we fell way behind in innovative coaching ideas and changes in the world game and we were found wanting, at times to the point of ridicule.
    Things changed, certainly with the attraction of foreign players and coaches to the Premier League. I agree we certainly ought to have done a lot better over the last 20 to 30 years.
    I think you're spot on. We see ourselves as having a right to do better than we should have but when you look at all the factors that go into producing a large number of world class homegrown talent we have performed accordingly. Population size, numbers of kids playing football, investment in the grass roots game, coaching and so on. Thankfully things seem to be changing with regards to producing better young players but we're still playing catch up. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    AndyG said:
    We haven't lost to Wales since 1984.
  • Options
    I love football, so I both love Charlton & England.
    We found the perfect way to enjoy summer tournaments early on in our marriage. We’d go off to Lesvos for the first two weeks & watch pretty much every match in out favourite taverna. If England win, the atmosphere was fabulous. If they lost, ah well you’re on holiday, another Mythos please.

Where should we be going today? Yep Lesvos 😔

C’mon England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 
  • Options
    What would you rather, England guaranteed  to make at least the final, or Charlton are guaranteed to be unbeaten in the first 2 months of the season? 
    England for me. Charlton have 46 games during the season to get things right. 92 games in fact in between major international tournaments.

Charlton winning an FA Cup game or England winning a world Cup more like
  • Options
    I would say that over the years Italy haven't had better squads than England. But they have been much more successful. It is just they have a system which while largely being more negative and sometimes dishonest, is easier to adopt. We seem to go into these things like headless chickens.
  • Options
    High Hopes + Low Expectations + Dull Pre Tournament Friendlies = MEH 
  • Options

England winning the World Cup. 
  • Options
    My love of England stopped abruptly in 2006 following the Darren Bent snub by Erickson. 

When Sven took Theo Walcott to the World Cup, and despite being short of strikers and left Darren Bent behind, with Darren being the leading English goal scorer in the premiership I vowed never to support England ever again. I have kept to this vow.

Pre 2006 I attended a lot of England matches, since 2006 I take zero interest in England. I couldn’t even tell you who England are playing or when the competition starts.
    haha Just an outright lie isn't it
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Interesting that even though the purpose of the thread wasn’t “club or country”, it seems as though that’s what it is interpreted as by a few people.

At any England game, the vast majority of fans tend to be of clubs akin to Charlton (ie - proper football fans of local clubs). 

The sheer volume of England flags with club names branded across them demonstrates that it clearly isn’t a “club or country” situation. 

Ultimately, the England setup is a result of all of our collective efforts as fans, players, clubs across the nation over decades worth of work. And Charlton is a part of that big eco-system. 

And even if you ‘don’t give a sh*t’ about the England side - ultimately they are representing you and all of us as active, die-hard football fans in this country. Whether you like it or not!
  • Options
    My love of England stopped abruptly in 2006 following the Darren Bent snub by Erickson. 

When Sven took Theo Walcott to the World Cup, and despite being short of strikers and left Darren Bent behind, with Darren being the leading English goal scorer in the premiership I vowed never to support England ever again. I have kept to this vow.

Pre 2006 I attended a lot of England matches, since 2006 I take zero interest in England. I couldn’t even tell you who England are playing or when the competition starts.
    haha Just an outright lie isn't it
    Not necessarily. I mean most people would know who our first game is against, and more will know we're playing Scotland after. But i'd bet quite a few people would struggle to remember who our 3rd game is against though.