Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Is anyone else not fussed about Englands progress in the euros?

Comments

• MrLargo said:
    England are very much the Millwall of international Football so I can understand English football fans not wanting to be associated.

Difficult to disagree with that unfortunately. It's a real shame.

The supporters we had in Russia, the ones that travel to further afield destinations, are generally a credit to this country. Good humoured, respectful to their hosts, and no less likeable than the Irish and Scottish supporters that are always welcomed when they travel abroad.

Unfortunately, whenever we play somewhere closer to home - Portugal, France, Spain etc - the good ones are generally overshadowed by the massive amount of divs that can't handle their drink and like to spend the day before the game standing outside an Irish pub chanting abuse at the locals. 

Nevertheless, I'm well up for this tournament. 

Porto for the Nations League, there was a handful acting up but the media would have people believe it was the whole fanbase. The rest of the weekend out there was one of the best atmospheres i've experienced following football. 
  • Hope England do OK but I never feel nearly as much passion as I do for CAFC.

The hype around the England team tends to get on my nerves and some of the morons who follow them around leave a bit to be desired - so there is a piece of me that is always a bit pleased when we fail, just to spite the idiots.
  • Hope England do OK but I never feel nearly as much passion as I do for CAFC.

The hype around the England team tends to get on my nerves and some of the morons who follow them around leave a bit to be desired - so there is a piece of me that is always a bit pleased when we fail, just to spite the idiots.
    Yeah I agree with this - I never want to hear "it's coming home" again 
  • Don't give a shit, but then again haven't for a while.
  • Charlton over England easy, but still enjoy tournaments a lot.
  • Any excuse to spend the day/night/week/fortnight in the pub
  • MrLargo said:
    England are very much the Millwall of international Football so I can understand English football fans not wanting to be associated.

The supporters we had in Russia, the ones that travel to further afield destinations, are generally a credit to this country. Good humoured, respectful to their hosts, and no less likeable than the Irish and Scottish supporters that are always welcomed when they travel abroad.

Unfortunately, whenever we play somewhere closer to home - Portugal, France, Spain etc - the good ones are generally overshadowed by the massive amount of divs that can't handle their drink and like to spend the day before the game standing outside an Irish pub chanting abuse at the locals. 

Porto for the Nations League, there was a handful acting up but the media would have people believe it was the whole fanbase. The rest of the weekend out there was one of the best atmospheres i've experienced following football. 
    I was out there for that as well. My brother wanted to go the the fan park, against my advice - we turned the corner onto the square containing the fan park just in time to see a load of bottles flying through the air and the riot police baton charging the England "supporters". 

Seen similar nonsense in Seville a couple of years ago, and a lot of the fans that got beaten up by Russians in Marseille had spent there first two days pitched up outside an Irish pub shouting abuse at the locals.

I agree that it's not the majority, and it gets exaggerated in the media, but we definitely have more knobheads than any of the other major football nations.
  • MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

I was out there for that as well. My brother wanted to go the the fan park, against my advice - we turned the corner onto the square containing the fan park just in time to see a load of bottles flying through the air and the riot police baton charging the England "supporters". 

Seen similar nonsense in Seville a couple of years ago, and a lot of the fans that got beaten up by Russians in Marseille had spent there first two days pitched up outside an Irish pub shouting abuse at the locals.

I agree that it's not the majority, and it gets exaggerated in the media, but we definitely have more knobheads than any of the other major football nations.
    The last sentence, no chance, maybe 40 years ago but plenty of other nations have more dick fans than us. 
  • Sponsored links:

• MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

The last sentence, no chance, maybe 40 years ago but plenty of other nations have more dick fans than us. 
    Such as?
  • MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

Such as?
    Turkey, Italy, Russia and the entirety of the eastern bloc
  • MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:
    MrLargo said:

Such as?
    As Croydon already mentioned but off the top off my head, Hungary, Croatia, to be added to that list for starters
  • Following England is no difference to any league club with the type of support is attracts. Whenever England play far away and it’s an expensive trip, there is never any trouble and everyone is respectful to the hosts. When England have a ‘Ryanair’ match then trouble will follow. No difference to supporting Charlton when north east matches are less aggro compared to when we play in London.
  • I find it really strange that football fans 'haven't heard of some of the England players'.

So weird.
    Fans of Premier league teams don't even know football outside of the topflight exists... they certainly couldn't name half the players. Why is it expected to work the other way round ?

I genuinely couldn't tell you who white plays for, or the name of the keeper from the last friendly which I watched 15 mins of while working. 

5 years ago I'd have been in the pub for every single game, dream teams... bets the lot. Now I'll struggle to watch even just the  England games.
  • shine166 said:
    I find it really strange that football fans 'haven't heard of some of the England players'.

So weird.
    Fans of Premier league teams don't even know football outside of the topflight exists... they certainly couldn't name half the players. Why is it expected to work the other way round ?

I genuinely couldn't tell you who white plays for, or the name of the keeper from the last friendly which I watched 15 mins of while working. 

5 years ago I'd have been in the pub for every single game, dream teams... bets the lot. Now I'll struggle to watch even just the  England games.
    International footballers are the best of their sport. Id expect football fans to know who the best players play for. I wouldn't expect them to know who plays for, say, Burton, i don't even know who plays for Burton.
  • shine166 said:
    I find it really strange that football fans 'haven't heard of some of the England players'.

So weird.

International footballers are the best of their sport. Id expect football fans to know who the best players play for. I wouldn't expect them to know who plays for, say, Burton, i don't even know who plays for Burton.
    The more they earn, the less I care. I don't have sky and its now been 2 seasons since I've watched MOTD. Now days my love is charlton, not football in general. As a kid I was obsessed, but have just lost interest the last few years.  
  • Any excuse to spend the day/night/week/fortnight in the pub
    4 weeks this time hopefully 
  • I find it really strange that football fans 'haven't heard of some of the England players'.

So weird.
    Just looked through the squad, the only ones i've not heard of are 

Sam Johnstone (West Brom
    Ben White (Brighton
    Conor Coady (Wolves)

• Sponsored links:

• shine166 said:

So weird.

I genuinely had no idea who Ben White or Sam Johnstone played for, having said that I watch less and less prem football these days
  • What is this thread. I'm absolutely buzzing. Just bought a new TV for it.
    yep just stuck a new 55" Samsung Frame TV up
  • edited June 2021
    Club before country every time.

I could not give a s*** whether they win or lose.
  • I love a Euro/World Cup. I can't really compare it to going to Charlton - I've only seen England in the flesh once as a boy - but when watching on TV it's not often that all your mates and the rest of the pub support the same team.
  • Couldn’t care less about the national team and will be having a few quid on them going out in the group stages.
  • What would you rather, England guaranteed  to make at least the final, or Charlton are guaranteed to be unbeaten in the first 2 months of the season? 
    Gotta be Charlton for me.