Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The seaside.

Where does the seaside end on a tidal river?

Is it at the end of the tidal reach?

Or is it the point beyond which the water is not salt?

Comments

• iainment said:

i would guess the point that it is no longer sea water
  • Can’t we just get back to Stalin’s five year plans
    Did he have plans for the seaside?
  • iainment said:
    Can’t we just get back to Stalin’s five year plans
    Did he have plans for the seaside?
    They thought about it but there were too many red flags on the beaches already
  • Whitstable 
  • Where the river stops depositing mud - that is called the mouth, or if it’s wide an estuary.
  • I'll do the job for you .. Tidal river - Wikipedia  B)
  • Leigh-on-Sea is a contradiction in terms.

Leigh-on-Sea is situated on the northern side of the estuary of the river Thames, a few kilometres from the open waters of the North Sea to the east, and at a similar distance from the Kent coast to the south. 
  • The Thames is tidal up to Teddington Lock.  I'm pretty sure that Twickenham, for example, is not on the seaside.  What I don't know is whether the water there is still slightly salty.
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:

Surely the seaside ends at those beaches around the edge of the coast, not at an inland river reach. 
  • iainment said:

At the water’s edge. After that, it’s just sea. 
  • Der!  The seaside is where the sticks of rock and kiss me quick hats are init?
  • Should it be renamed Greenwich by the sea?
  • Allhallows is officially Allhallows-on-Sea and the Isle of Grain is officially the mouth of the Thames from what I can tell, so on the southside everything from Allhallows eastwards is seaside rather than Riverside.

On the north side Southend is another "on-sea", so would appear to be the first settlement beyond the mouth of the Thames. Whilst Canvey is officially still within the Thames Estuary.
  • Should it be renamed Greenwich by the sea?

I've got a canal at the end of my lane - does that count?
  • Leigh on Sea is nearer london than Southend
  • Leigh on Sea is nearer london than Shithurst Park.

Wasn't zoomed in enough for that to even appear on my map, and it has an SS postcode, so all part of the same urban area
  • bobmunro said:
    Should it be renamed Greenwich by the sea?

I've got a canal at the end of my lane - does that count?
    That'll do, stick another 50k on your house value. 
  • Sponsored links:

• May be part of the same Urban area but Leigh on Sea is not Southend on Sea and is nearer to London. People in Leigh, and Westcliffe on Sea (also nearer to London), would not take kindly to be classified as 'Sarfend'.
  • In a similar vein, what is a stream and what is a river and what's the difference?
  • Google has your answer.
  • May be part of the same Urban area but Leigh on Sea is not Southend on Sea and is nearer to London. People in Leigh, and Westcliffe on Sea (also nearer to London), would not take kindly to be classified as 'Sarfend'.
    what you talking about ?
    Leigh on Sea is definitely not nearer London than Southend
  • Leigh on Sea station is 4.6miles from Southend Pier by road
  • MrWalker said:
    In a similar vein, what is a stream and what is a river and what's the difference?
    A river is a natural flow of running water that follows a well-defined, permanent path, usually within a valley. A stream (also called a brook or a creek) is a natural flow of water that follows a more temporary path that is usually not in a valley.
  • MrOneLung said:
    MrWalker said:
    In a similar vein, what is a stream and what is a river and what's the difference?
    A river is a natural flow of running water that follows a well-defined, permanent path, usually within a valley. A stream (also called a brook or a creek) is a natural flow of water that follows a more temporary path that is usually not in a valley.
    Nonsense - we had streams at The Valley all last season.
    What?
  • edited June 2021
    Oh I get it, Leigh is on the London side of Southend and is the first "on Sea" before you get to Southend.
  • bobmunro said:
    MrOneLung said:
    MrWalker said:
    Nonsense - we had streams at The Valley all last season.
    People wetting themselves watching the Football doesnt count