Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The seaside.

13»

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    To my eyes, that line from Haveringore to Warden Point doesn't look right. I've no knowledge of these matters, but if I was to draw a line on a map, intuitively I'd pick two places with a sharper angle. Perhaps Sheerness to Shoeburyness or something like that.
    Only guessing but is it anything to do with the points where there is an absence of any measurable river flow past the beach at low tide.
    Apparently, it was the old boundary of the Port of London Authority.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    Stig said:
    To my eyes, that line from Haveringore to Warden Point doesn't look right. I've no knowledge of these matters, but if I was to draw a line on a map, intuitively I'd pick two places with a sharper angle. Perhaps Sheerness to Shoeburyness or something like that.
    Only guessing but is it anything to do with the points where there is an absence of any measurable river flow past the beach at low tide.
    Has the boundary changed then? I thought their authority had always been marked by a line between The London Stone on the Isle of Grain and The Crow Stone at Chalkwell.
  • Options
    There’s a tower in the water just west of Sheerness-on-sea (at the mouth of the river Medway) that has an address of no.1 the Thames, could this be where  the river meets the sea?
  • Options
    Stig said:
    cafcfan said:
    Stig said:
    Has the boundary changed then? I thought their authority had always been marked by a line between The London Stone on the Isle of Grain and The Crow Stone at Chalkwell.
    The London Stone is near Allhallows and marks the limit of the Port of London - I have walked out to it a few times https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yantlet 
  • Options
    I see that the SS Richard Mongomery is still a risk. How they found anyone to crew her back in the day is amazing
  • Options
    I see that the SS Richard Mongomery is still a risk. How they found anyone to crew her back in the day is amazing
    I’ve always thought that too - imagine, join the Merchant Navy in WW2 and your first ship is sailing filled to the brim with ammunition across seas with U Boats desperate to sink as many Allied ships as possible - brave people indeed
  • Options
    Before being bombed out in the Blitz during the war, my Mum lived at Victoria Dock Road, Tidal Basin.

Great view of the river, but no one ever claimed that was the seaside.

• Options

1500 tons of sand were laid down by Tower Bridge.  'Tower Foreshore' was then officially opened to the public on July 23rd 1934.

The beach was built especially for those who could not afford a holiday by the seaside. The tides came and went just as they did on the coast and King George V decreed that it was to be used by the children of London, promising "free access for ever".

It was such a roaring success that between 1934 and 1939 over 500,000 people dipped their toes in the water on London's very own seaside. (It was revived in the 1950s after the end of World War II)

Children built sandcastles and swam in the "sea", there were even rowing boats for hire. They were allowed to go under Tower Bridge, and back again, for the cost of 3d (about 2.5p).

Toffee apple sellers, entertainers and deck-chair men were among the characters that would be found here 

The beach was finally closed in 1971 when public sensibility about the quality of the Thames water became a concern (although the water quality was probably much better than it had been in 1934).