Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is anyone else not fussed about Wales's progress in the Euros?

Comments

• Options
    Not fussed at all. Nothing against Wales or Welsh people, I just find their team weak and poor to watch at this level. Yes, they did well in the previous competition, but so did Iceland 🤦🏻‍♂️🤯… Have no ancestral links whatsoever, so probably explains the apathy. 
  • Options
    Mucky dar and all that. 

Rule Brittania, up the Boyos 

“Sylvia, get your hands out your pock-kets”
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    St George was a Turkish immigrant (by today's standards). Therefore it stands to reason that any true Englishman would support Turkey over the daffodil botherers  :)
    An immigrant to where ?
    Wherever he emigrated to  ;)
    You saw through my question there 😡

Of course we are not the only nation who venerate St George - there are loads of others - given the treatment of England fans and English club fans when attending matches in Turkey, I am all for a Wales win
    I like kebabs, love Socuk and most Turkish food.

I also like rarebit, but like kebabs more.

Maybe I put too much weight on the religious blah-blah and should have just gone with the kebab and rarebit comparison. Reckon more would be with me by now if I had  :)
    We have been here before on food related chat (remember our pie and mash spat ?)

Socuk I can just about accept, but kebabs - come on - disgusting 🤮
    Ah, I'm not talking about doner kebabs and the cack we get here.

If you're not familiar with proper Turkish kebabs then try and sample a Cag kebab, Testi kebab or any of those listed here:

https://goturkiye.com/blog/list-of-the-types-of-turkish-kebabs

On the subject of Socuk, absolutely stupendous with fried eggs and cheese, in a toasted roll/sub.
    Ok - I was talking about the filth you get here - how anyone can put that meat on the revolving thing in them is mad 

Never been to Turkey, so can’t comment on your list (apart from Socuk, which I have had over here at a friends house)

If you can recommend a decent UK Turkish restaurant, I will give it a go
    Re doner, it depends on which shop you go to. Most buy their elephants foot from wholesalers and that's a no-no. Some, very few and far between, make up and layer their own with lamb shoulder. Hard to find those places these day, though.

Re Turkish retaurants, take your pick:

https://www.midpointrestaurant.co.uk/menu

http://www.lokkanta.co.uk/

https://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/londons-best-turkish-restaurants
    Loads of good Turkish, Greek and middle Eastern restaurants in London - probably my favourite food. As you say the layered doner kebabs are okay but the other ones just look revolting.

Lokkanta looks really good.

Will give midpoint a go as it's local to me.
  • Options
    St George was a Turkish immigrant (by today's standards). Therefore it stands to reason that any true Englishman would support Turkey over the daffodil botherers  :)
    An immigrant to where ?

Of course we are not the only nation who venerate St George - there are loads of others - given the treatment of England fans and English club fans when attending matches in Turkey, I am all for a Wales win

Maybe I put too much weight on the religious blah-blah and should have just gone with the kebab and rarebit comparison. Reckon more would be with me by now if I had  :)
    We have been here before on food related chat (remember our pie and mash spat ?)

If you're not familiar with proper Turkish kebabs then try and sample a Cag kebab, Testi kebab or any of those listed here:

On the subject of Socuk, absolutely stupendous with fried eggs and cheese, in a toasted roll/sub.
    I refuse to put any Testi in my mouth thanks ;) Local Turkish place does fantastic kebabs and I can vouch that Turkish Kebabs are a million times nicer than doner kebabs.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    An immigrant to where ?

I refuse to put any Testi in my mouth thanks ;) Local Turkish place does fantastic kebabs and I can vouch that Turkish Kebabs are a million times nicer than doner kebabs.
    What local place is that (not stalking promise 😉)
  • Options
    Tom Jones, Catherine Zeta-Jones, Richard Burton, Dylan Thomas, Charlotte Church, your boys will take one hell of a beating
  • Options
    I am certainly fussed.

They should fuck off and die from the competion ASAP!
  • Options
    It's not only the Welsh for me, as soon as England go belly up I'm out, give me Charlton any day of the week. 
  • Options
    the Welsh ?, brave lil country that resents big brother England .. for me ?, all the best to my lil bro Cymru .. 
  • Options
    Turkey vs Wales... blimey there is no positive outcome there, so draw hopefully. Supporting Wales/Scotland is akin to supporting Millwall/Palace for me - unthinkable. But Turkey is Turkey, like Celtic are Celtic for example. Tricky stuff.
    Charlton, Palace and Millwall are all (roughly) the same size with similar (ish) histories. Wales is a tiny country, with a tiny population, plus (to make a massive generalisation) they seem quite sound and the ones I know are a good laugh. So for me it’s not the same. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My husband is Welsh, my best friend is Welsh.

No brainer, c’mon Turkey 😜😜😜

Seriously I’m right behind them (unless they’re playing England obvs) & will be joining in with the anthem 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
    Do know the words properly, or do you do John Redwood style attempts at phonetically replicating it with no clue what you're singing?
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    My husband is Welsh, my best friend is Welsh.

No brainer, c’mon Turkey 😜😜😜

Seriously I’m right behind them (unless they’re playing England obvs) & will be joining in with the anthem 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
    Do know the words properly, or do you do John Redwood style attempts at phonetically replicating it with no clue what you're singing?
    Good question!
    I had to learn it phonetically (whilst touring Vietnam, it passed the time on the bus lol) mainly because it’s such a tough language to get your English head around.
    But having been married to a Welsh speaker for 26yrs I do understand a lot of the language & when my in laws all get together I can follow the conversation & can say a few bits.

So when I sing it I do know what I’m singing & Hubby says for an Anglo Irish bird I don’t do it too badly 😜😜😜😂😂😂
  • Options
    Surely it makes more sense to want your closest neighbours to do badly than to want to cheer them on ?
    Who here would rather Millwall/Palace won when playing Barnsley/Everton just because they are close to us.

I am definitely fussed by Wales' progress and hope they crash and burn.
  • Options
    An immigrant to where ?

I've heard those Testi kebabs really are the dogs bollocks.
  • Options
    The lamb chops at Midpoint are amazing.  I love that place. Rather off topic... 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    Turkey vs Wales... blimey there is no positive outcome there, so draw hopefully. Supporting Wales/Scotland is akin to supporting Millwall/Palace for me - unthinkable. But Turkey is Turkey, like Celtic are Celtic for example. Tricky stuff.
    Charlton, Palace and Millwall are all (roughly) the same size with similar (ish) histories. Wales is a tiny country, with a tiny population, plus (to make a massive generalisation) they seem quite sound and the ones I know are a good laugh. So for me it’s not the same. 
    That’s fair enough, but I’ve been present at more than enough fixtures between the two to have a much different perspective. I’d rather Scotland win than Wales and that’s saying something.

I do love Gavin and Stacey though, so I don’t know.....
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    could be Welsh lamb  o:)
  • Options
    I hope they get stuffed as they do about us .
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Will give the place a try soon.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    This hour of cack about Wales before the game is driving me nuts.
  • Options
    I've got a slight bit of Welsh ancestry but with respect to those family members, it doesn't mean anything to me. After the way they celebrated England's defeat against Iceland, I will be tuning in, cheering for Turkey and very much hopeful of them all but being eliminated :smile:
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Surely it makes more sense to want your closest neighbours to do badly than to want to cheer them on ?
    Who here would rather Millwall/Palace won when playing Barnsley/Everton just because they are close to us.

Does it make sense? Why? In other parts of Europe neighbours seem to get on very well and I envy that. Our relationship with our neighbours is of course coloured by centuries of history, but let’s not go there. I just can’t buy into the ‘they hate us so I hate them back’ argument. Rise above it. 
  • Options
    Uboat said:
    MrOneLung said:

Does it make sense? Why? In other parts of Europe neighbours seem to get on very well and I envy that. Our relationship with our neighbours is of course coloured by centuries of history, but let’s not go there. I just can’t buy into the ‘they hate us so I hate them back’ argument. Rise above it. 

Yep the Dutch and German fans always cheering each other on....
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Uboat said:
    MrOneLung said:

Yep the Dutch and German fans always cheering each other on....
    I didn’t suggest all other countries loved each other. Presumably you understood that. 
  • Options
    I would suggest most of the European countries have a strong rivalry with one or more of their neighbours
  • Options
    Would like to see them do well yeah
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    I would suggest most of the European countries have a strong rivalry with one or more of their neighbours
    Thats why England are so great... Everyone hates us
  • Options
    That was a fabulous goal!
  • Options
    Stig said:
    That was a fabulous goal!
    Lovely pass and finish and Chris Gunter involved in the celebration, all round decent.

Should be 2 up at least.