Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is anyone else not fussed about Wales's progress in the Euros?

Comments

• Options
    MrOneLung said:
    Uboat said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Surely it makes more sense to want your closest neighbours to do badly than to want to cheer them on ?
    Who here would rather Millwall/Palace won when playing Barnsley/Everton just because they are close to us.

I am definitely fussed by Wales' progress and hope they crash and burn.
    Does it make sense? Why? In other parts of Europe neighbours seem to get on very well and I envy that. Our relationship with our neighbours is of course coloured by centuries of history, but let’s not go there. I just can’t buy into the ‘they hate us so I hate them back’ argument. Rise above it. 

Yep the Dutch and German fans always cheering each other on....
    But Holland and Germany aren't united as part of a Kingdom unlike England, Scotland, Wales and NI. They compete under one umbrella in some competitions. 

It's the people who throw ROI into the mix who are getting it wrong. Supporting ROI is like supporting France, *spits.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Uboat said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Surely it makes more sense to want your closest neighbours to do badly than to want to cheer them on ?
    Who here would rather Millwall/Palace won when playing Barnsley/Everton just because they are close to us.

I am definitely fussed by Wales' progress and hope they crash and burn.
    Does it make sense? Why? In other parts of Europe neighbours seem to get on very well and I envy that. Our relationship with our neighbours is of course coloured by centuries of history, but let’s not go there. I just can’t buy into the ‘they hate us so I hate them back’ argument. Rise above it. 

Yep the Dutch and German fans always cheering each other on....
    But Holland and Germany aren't united as part of a Kingdom unlike England, Scotland, Wales and NI. They compete under one umbrella in some competitions. 

It's the people who throw ROI into the mix who are getting it wrong. Supporting ROI is like supporting France, *spits.
    Not really when so many have dual nationality, and not when one of those countries was royally fucked up by the Brits for hundreds upon hundreds of years tbh
  • Options
    Bale apparently.....
  • Options
    No, my old boss retired down there and within two years he was back. Anti -English racism was the reason.

We also have a couple of Welsh engineers who despite living in the area and mixing with English people, hate us....so hope they get stuffed, as they would wish the same on us.
  • Options
    Great performance and win.....glad to see Johnny Williams celebrating with the team at the end.....good luck to them
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I struggle to feel a connection to Chris Gunter as a Charlton player, let alone as a player for another country.

• Options
    Great performance, they well deserved that win. Pleased for them.
  • Options
    I don’t care about Scotland either way, but I really wanted Wales to win tonight. We might need another team to support if we win the group and face France or Portugal in the last 16!
  • Options
    As much as I hated Wales celebrating when we lost to Iceland, The Turks chanted Allahu Akbar during a minutes silence for Paris terrorist victims. I'd cheer for anyone but them.
  • Options
    Cardiff was a welcoming place in the 80's.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Well done wales, very good result for them.
  • Options
    Really enjoyed what I saw of it.
    Although the Turkey defence allowing Bale to run along the line from the corner twice at the end was poor (though he is good)
  • Options
    Went to Aberystwyth once so will be right behind them. Also like Manic Street Preachers and the Alarm.
  • Options
    Hate only brings more hate, you have to spread love to get love (maan).
  • Options
    Well I proper cheered that 2nd goal at the end 
  • Options
    Well I proper cheered that 2nd goal at the end 
    Me too especially after Bale mugged the oppo off twice in the space of a couple of minutes. You could argue they knew the game was up and couldn’t be asked to defend properly but I’d have been livid if that had happened to me or my team, totally unacceptable let alone when representing your country.
  • Options
    St George was a Turkish immigrant (by today's standards). Therefore it stands to reason that any true Englishman would support Turkey over the daffodil botherers  :)
    An immigrant to where ?
    Wherever he emigrated to  ;)
    You saw through my question there 😡

Of course we are not the only nation who venerate St George - there are loads of others - given the treatment of England fans and English club fans when attending matches in Turkey, I am all for a Wales win
    I like kebabs, love Socuk and most Turkish food.

I also like rarebit, but like kebabs more.

Maybe I put too much weight on the religious blah-blah and should have just gone with the kebab and rarebit comparison. Reckon more would be with me by now if I had  :)
    We have been here before on food related chat (remember our pie and mash spat ?)

Socuk I can just about accept, but kebabs - come on - disgusting 🤮
    Ah, I'm not talking about doner kebabs and the cack we get here.

If you're not familiar with proper Turkish kebabs then try and sample a Cag kebab, Testi kebab or any of those listed here:

https://goturkiye.com/blog/list-of-the-types-of-turkish-kebabs

On the subject of Socuk, absolutely stupendous with fried eggs and cheese, in a toasted roll/sub.
    Ok - I was talking about the filth you get here - how anyone can put that meat on the revolving thing in them is mad 

Never been to Turkey, so can’t comment on your list (apart from Socuk, which I have had over here at a friends house)

If you can recommend a decent UK Turkish restaurant, I will give it a go
    Re doner, it depends on which shop you go to. Most buy their elephants foot from wholesalers and that's a no-no. Some, very few and far between, make up and layer their own with lamb shoulder. Hard to find those places these day, though.

Re Turkish retaurants, take your pick:

https://www.midpointrestaurant.co.uk/menu

http://www.lokkanta.co.uk/

https://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/londons-best-turkish-restaurants
    If you fancy a variation on the theme, the Kurdish restauraunt Nandine in Camberwell is superb

https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/aug/11/nandine-london-nourishes-the-soul-restaurant-review
  • Options
    Couldn’t give a monkeys. I thought they would have mentioned 2016 more...
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Thankfully neither the BBC or ITV have mentioned the Euro 96 encounter between England and Scotland yet.

God I bet they'd be talking non stop about it had they remembered that game
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    good win for Wales .. Bale is sooooo important and influential, I don't think they would have come close to qualification without him
  • Options
    CHG said:
    Thankfully neither the BBC or ITV have mentioned the Euro 96 encounter between England and Scotland yet.

I think we should speak more about the England 9 Scotland 3 Home international match in 1961.
    Looking forward to a repeat on Friday, with Harry Kane replicating the Jimmy Greaves hat-trick   :)
  • Options
    Very true but I never used the word 'hate.' I remember that my mother always said when I was young that she's never hated anybody, and I say the same to my children when they now do the same about some other kid at school.

Thankfully I've never really had to hate anyone - that would be for someone who brings harm to my family. Some bloke cut me in the neck with a cutter at a fairground 7 years ago and I was hospitalised for one night. That's the closest I've come to hatred.

Back to Wales - when it came down to it, I was pleased when they got their second goal. I couldn't bring myself to cheer on Turkey when I saw Ramsey's committment, and Bale's vindicated refusal to waste time in the corners (something I 'hate' seeing Charlton do).
  • Options
    Very true but I never used the word 'hate.' I remember that my mother always said when I was young that she's never hated anybody, and I say the same to my children when they now do the same about some other kid at school.

Thankfully I've never really had to hate anyone - that would be for someone who brings harm to my family. Some bloke cut me in the neck with a cutter at a fairground 7 years ago and I was hospitalised for one night. That's the closest I've come to hatred.

Back to Wales - when it came down to it, I was pleased when they got their second goal. I couldn't bring myself to cheer on Turkey when I saw Ramsey's committment, and Bale's vindicated refusal to waste time in the corners (something I 'hate' seeing Charlton do).
    Never mind Wales, more info on the fairground attack please ???
  • Options

Oh, gawd.

I disagreed with a guy managing the 'ride' for my two young boys, I insisted 'too much' to let them back on (raised my voice and argued for a few minutes - no swearing and certainly nothing physical) and he went and got his cutter. He came back, grabbed my bag which was around my shoulder so that I couldn't get away, and cut me.

I ran off, bleeding, with my two boys and drove myself to the hospital one handed. Maybe I should have called an ambulance but the hospital was only 2 minutes away.

The police later told me that I had identified the wrong guy!
    Let's just say that I now consider the police, at least in my town, to be incompetent, lazy and untrustworthy. 

• Options
    CHG said:

I think we should speak more about the England 9 Scotland 3 Home international match in 1961.
    Looking forward to a repeat on Friday, with Harry Kane replicating the Jimmy Greaves hat-trick   :)
    That was the infamous Frank (half time ) Haffey of Celtic in goal for them. Lawrie Leslie who played in the English League v Scottish League encounter which they won a few weeks earless was glad he missed the game due to injury.
  • Options

Oh, gawd.

I disagreed with a guy managing the 'ride' for my two young boys, I insisted 'too much' to let them back on (raised my voice and argued for a few minutes - no swearing and certainly nothing physical) and he went and got his cutter. He came back, grabbed my bag which was around my shoulder so that I couldn't get away, and cut me.

I ran off, bleeding, with my two boys and drove myself to the hospital one handed. Maybe I should have called an ambulance but the hospital was only 2 minutes away.

The police later told me that I had identified the wrong guy!
    Let's just say that I now consider the police, at least in my town, to be incompetent, lazy and untrustworthy. 

Bloody hell - horrendous - and for your lads to witness it - terrible
  • Options
    More interested in Wales than England but only because of the ex and current Charlton contingent 
  • Options

My comment was just a general observation and a message to humanity, I certainly wasn’t suggesting that your dislike of the Welsh national team was borne from genuine animosity @jimmymelrose . Just my point of view but I tend to support any of the home nations when they’re in action though of course I hope Scotland fail tomorrow night.

The fairground incident sounds horrendous mate and no one would begrudge you feeling more than a little hostile towards the shitbag who did it. Hopefully karma gets him somewhere down the line.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    MrOneLung said:
    I would suggest most of the European countries have a strong rivalry with one or more of their neighbours
    Thats why England are so great... Everyone hates us
    Anyone able to complete the saying?

*Edit*

I now realise it's "no one likes us, we don't care" having googled it... I knew the start didn't sound right!