Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jason Pearce - (p11 - retires and joins Academy as coach)

Comments

• Good news, every one of the out of contract players that re-signs allows the recruitment team to focus their time and energy on new players that will make us better. JFC and Watson will be next. Reckon Amos, Aneke and Matthews will drag their feet until the last minute to see if they can get better offers elsewhere 
  • Sorry but I can't share everybody's optimism here, he had the occasional good performance last year but mostly bad, think especially with our injury record he may play up to 30 times next season, and he isn't a top league 1 CB anymore.
    I don't think he has been renewed as one. He is back up who will be able to do a job if and when required.
    Yes but our backups last year played multiple times and their lack of ability cost us
  • Sounds good all round to me. Good messages for him and Adkins. Great character, so all good with me 
  • Sorry but I can't share everybody's optimism here, he had the occasional good performance last year but mostly bad, think especially with our injury record he may play up to 30 times next season, and he isn't a top league 1 CB anymore.
    I don't think he has been renewed as one. He is back up who will be able to do a job if and when required.
    Yes but our backups last year played multiple times and their lack of ability cost us
    Last year our transfer policy was somewhat hindered by way of the club's ownership being a circus run by clowns. There's little indication of Sandgaard making those mistakes.
  • redbuttle said:
    Sorry but I can't share everybody's optimism here, he had the occasional good performance last year but mostly bad, think especially with our injury record he may play up to 30 times next season, and he isn't a top league 1 CB anymore.
    Let's start the moaning...
    Start?  Did it ever stop?
  • redbuttle said:
    Sorry but I can't share everybody's optimism here, he had the occasional good performance last year but mostly bad, think especially with our injury record he may play up to 30 times next season, and he isn't a top league 1 CB anymore.
    No matter what the club does, someone will moan about it..
  • Good news. Let's hope there's more good news to follow.
  • You don’t get rid of leaders or winners and Pearce is both of these …. Good news 
  • Pleased with this news, he seems like the sort of player who could become a good coach also. 
  • I’m sure he’ll be a good coach to have around the place but he showed last year that he’s not good enough for the first team anymore
  • Sponsored links:

• Great comments from the Skip, exactly the kind of attitude that's needed. He may not be a regular starter these days but as sure as hell he will make whoever is in front of him have to fight tooth and nail to keep their place.

And always a good sign to get the skipper to renew a contract. Will be a big indicator to potential signings that all is well in the Charlton camp.
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    Thats opinions for ya...just like arseholes...everyone has one :smile:  
  • I believe that this is both a sign of Adkins' desire to reduce the age of the starting XI but also him valuing the need to have players around the place who identify with Charlton and who have the experience to help off the pitch and on it if and when required to play
    Which is where the issue is. Having Pearce around the club and playing 5-10 games won't stop us from getting promoted. Having the first choice CB out for 4 months so Pearce has to play regularly probably would. 
  • thenewbie said:
    Last year our transfer policy was somewhat hindered by way of the club's ownership being a circus run by clowns. There's little indication of Sandgaard making those mistakes.
    Irrelevant though because that won't prevent any injuries, Inniss is massively injury prone, say we sign 2 more very good ones, it only takes a few injuries and Pearce is in the team Irrelevant of how good our new CBs are.
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    So true.  

If we signed Messi some would complain it wasn't Ronaldo.
  • Pearce said on website “I’ve loved my time at Charlton. Everyone knows I love this club, it’s the longest I’ve been at a club and I see myself staying here for a long time. I’m glad the club feel that way too.

“The manager has said I’ll be back up to whoever they bring in, which I respect. I’ll still fight for my place and do the best I can to get in the team – that is what I have done throughout my career. It’s a different role for me now though and any signing that comes in, I will help, even if they play in my position.”

Atkins said “ I am really pleased club captain Jason Pearce has re-signed for another year. It is very important to have good senior players at the football club to act as role models for the young players coming through and Jason’s experience will be beneficial for the squad in our ambitions at the football club

Not sure what the inventor of a low carb diet has to do with the re-signing of Pearce!
    I think we were all getting fed up with Shay Givens comments, so they went for a different angle 
    I think it's a decent outcome for a good pro. Whilst I think he can do a job in certain games at league one level, I am glad the signal is that he won't be first choice.

If we assume we need 4 CBs for the first team squad and Barker isn't considered ready at this stage, then all we had was Inniss before Pearce re-signed. We still need to replace Famewo and Oshilaja. I think that is enough of a challenge for Gallen et al on top of all the other positions for which we need to sign new players, all of course within a budget.
    What about the 2 players ahead of Barker in the u23s last season?

Barker has the potential to be a very good player but so do others who are older, and nearer, the first team squad than him.  Maybe one of them will be 4th choice, maybe not. 
  • Good news. You need people like Pearce in the dressing room.
    In the words of Roy Keane

”why, what does he do, card tricks, sing karaoke?”

In reality, I’m happy with this, he knows where he stands next season, so no need for tantrums or less effort when he is picked, plus a pathway to.a future coaching role, which can only benefit our youngsters with his vast experience, win, win 
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    So true.  

I would.  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Never hugely liked him as a player but always thought he was an excellent leader to have around so in my opinion, the older he gets the more sense there is of keeping him and allowing him a pathway into coaching. Good sense all round.
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    Thats opinions for ya...just like arseholes...everyone has one. 😭
  • Didn't someone say on the rumours thread that they'd seen Pearce and Aneke at The Valley yesterday?

Does this mean Chuks will be announced later today?
  • Didn't someone say on the rumours thread that they'd seen Pearce and Aneke at The Valley yesterday?

Does this mean Chuks will be announced later today?
    Ooooooooooooh
  • Great news 
  • redbuttle said:
    redbuttle said:
    So true.  

And rightly so.
    Messi fails the height test for starters.
  • thenewbie said:
    Irrelevant though because that won't prevent any injuries, Inniss is massively injury prone, say we sign 2 more very good ones, it only takes a few injuries and Pearce is in the team Irrelevant of how good our new CBs are.
    No but the chances of being left with the 4th choice CB for 2 thirds of a season again are very low. Yes injuries happen but both Inniss and Famewo missing such huge chunks of the season was a statistical outlier, and Bowyer refusing to sign cover other than playing Gunter/Pratley out of position is again no longer an issue.
  • edited June 2021
    Good news. You need people like Pearce in the dressing room.
    But sometimes on the pitch  :*
  • I'm glad they've told him he'll be backup to whoever comes in as it means we are pursuing better players in that position and Pearce knows it and is happy with that. 

Our problem will be if Pearce ends up playing more than 20 games in the season, as that means we didn't get anyone else in, or the player signed to replace him wasn't good enough, or injured for a lot of the season
  • Fair play to Jason. Experienced and good to have as back up. Sure he will be busting a gut to get in the team.