Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Pearce - (p11 - retires and joins Academy as coach)

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2022
    thenewbie said:
    I'm seeing this as a good sign overall. Pearce is probably "good enough" for another year, especially as a back up option, he'll do a job.

But we need to be aiming higher than just "good enough" if we are going to be serious about promotion. If we're playing 3 CBs we should have 4-5 who are all good enough to start, not 3 first choice and a couple of back ups - the same could be said across the whole team of course but for me the defence is our weakest point right now. 
    I’m conflicted on whether our defence or midfield is the weakest part of the team, sure we let too many in, but we don’t create and score enough either.

Ironically that year we relied on Ricky Holmes, our Strikers were shite

Josh Magennis chipped in with just ten goals, whilst Nicky Ajose could only score six in the League - Thats typical Charlton, majority of the time you get the balance right in one area, yet fail to get it right elsewhere.
  • Options
    Would love to see JP stay on on the coaching staff , but I reckon he's probably got one more year in L2 or something as a player.

Been a fantastic servant to the club too. 
  • Options
    Been a good servant to the club and always committed to the cause. But the right decision has been made. 
  • Options
    always did his best for us, let's hope a very good replacement is signed a s a p .. all the very best Jason
  • Options
    I have no complaints about his efforts as a player. While many seem to have an opinion on his suitability as a coach, I have absolutely no opinion. Bad players can make good coaches and vice versa. 
  • Options
    got to be honest, not a fan of him as coach. Think he’s a massive flapper and quite cynical as a defender. Don’t really fancy a person coaching us who’s heights is a league one promotion player, we should and could be aiming for higher than that, sick of us being a charity for people to earn a wage. 

They guy has spent 6 seasons playing in the Championship, for Pompey, Leeds, Wigan and us.
  • Options
    I’m on the fence.

Pearce is Mr Reliable and would probably do a job for 35+ games at this level with a decent young CB next to him.

That said, it’s a signal of intent not renewing his contract that we’ll be looking at young options, we did look very flat footed at the back this season, despite, IMO our midfield being a big contributor to our defensive frailties. So it makes some sense.
  • Options
    Every player, even the greats have to arrive at the point where it’s over. It’s not like Jason can drop too much further down the football pyramid to extend his longevity. If he’s offered a coaching role I hope he takes it although I’d prefer that role to be with youngsters rather than near the first team. Agree with comments above I don’t think his skills demand association with our first team squad. What he does have is commitment, passion, great attitude and professionalism. Those are attributes that are essential for our under 23’s. Thanks for all your effort Jason. That was never in any doubt. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He's been good for us, no doubt. But we need to change our culture, captain and defensive setup. Let's hope his replacement isn't Famewo!
  • Options
    Sounds like he is staying as a coach then from TS comments last night.
  • Options
    If he goes to Bromley there can't be many national league strikers that would get anything out of him and Webster.

Not sure how he gets on with Roger though...
  • Options
    The bloke has been magnificent for us over the years. He has carried the squad on his shoulders at times, and even this season at times he's been excellent. 
    An old school centre half who loves a battle, but football in this league and above has moved on from his style unfortunately. 

I thought the podcast interviews with TS said that JP had run a presentation by him on coaching, and TS was very impressed, and I think the aim would be to keep him at the club in a coaching capacity. 

A club legend in my eyes, I wish him the very best. 
  • Options
    unless there are a few moving on, we have more coaches than National Express .. perhaps a case of too many cooks/coaches spoiling the tactics
  • Options
    I love his attitude and been a good servant not fussed if he stays playing wise the defence has been shit .
    Keep him on as coach cos he’ll be in the managers hot seat by November ….next …

• Options
    Certainly sounded like Thomas thought he would, but Jason himself sounded like he was still considering playing for longer if he could, so it's probably a bit up in the air still.
  • Options
    Never let us down and a good leader so I just wish him all the best, awful time for players as their age catches up with them and they still consider they have 1 or 2 seasons left in them. Who we bring in will determine whether it’s the right decision by the club. 
    Precisely, if we replace Pearce with better it's a good decision, if we don't then it's not.
    Surely, we'll replace with better?
  • Options
    Never let us down and a good leader so I just wish him all the best, awful time for players as their age catches up with them and they still consider they have 1 or 2 seasons left in them. Who we bring in will determine whether it’s the right decision by the club. 
    Precisely, if we replace Pearce with better it's a good decision, if we don't then it's not.
    Surely, we'll replace with better?
    With the greatest respect to Jason, if the club are genuinely interested in promotion we won’t be getting that with Jason as one of our back four choices. He was found out a bit too often last season and that won’t be getting any better. Not even as cover for me. He’s been great for us but that’s over now. 
  • Options
    Pearce will always get a warm welcome at the Valley. Top bloke and great servant.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    lets thank  Pearce for being a stalwart of a player for us, always very committed during a game and some times a bit too much so
    better that than not so.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    "From a playing point of view, I won’t be here. But I’m hoping there’s potential for me to get a coaching role here and then I have options to play elsewhere."

An interesting comment, suggesting he could play elsewhere while also doing some (academy?) coaching with us next season as well. 
    I'm presuming he has playing offers elsewhere and is waiting to see if Charlton offer him a coaching role.
    Gillingham or Orient, possibly AFC, are the obvious moves.
  • Options
    I completely understand the decision, although Jason has generally done pretty well for us when called upon this season - certainly better than a number of his colleagues. He can certainly leave with his head held high.

I admire him, both as a old school defender and as a man, and I think he'll do a good job for someone else at our level or below.

• Options
    Not a given, but he might look to get a player manager job at non league level. Whilst he has something to offer on the pitch, it may open up some opportunities.
  • Options
    Echo the great comments many have made about JP above. He has been a top player for us for many years and one thing you can say about him - unlike many of his colleagues - is that he has never given less than 100% in every game he has played for us.

But ...

Time moves on and there have been too many games this season where he has been exposed defensively. It is absolutely the right decision not to offer him a playing contract. In fact, as someone said above, it's time we stopped being sentimental about offering new contracts to our players who have served us well but are now on the downward slope.

I wish him every success where-ever he ends up. 
  • Options
    The only player in our squad signed by Russell Slade!

JFC was signed by Robinson
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Would love to see JP stay on on the coaching staff , but I reckon he's probably got one more year in L2 or something as a player.

Orient or Gillingham ?
  • Options
    unless there are a few moving on, we have more coaches than National Express .. perhaps a case of too many cooks/coaches spoiling the tactics
    If we get Cat 1 we'll need extra coaches.
  • Options
    Shame - always gave his all - nice guy to boot 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Orient or Gillingham ?
    Was thinking those 2 or possibly Crawley.