Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Pearce - (p11 - retires and joins Academy as coach)

Comments

• Options
    “The gaffer doesn’t want me anymore” 

Ah, that wasn’t nice to hear. You can tell he’s gutted. 
  • Options

He’s been in and around football long enough to know what’s what. 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    "From a playing point of view, I won’t be here. But I’m hoping there’s potential for me to get a coaching role here and then I have options to play elsewhere."

An interesting comment, suggesting he could play elsewhere while also doing some (academy?) coaching with us next season as well. 
    I'm presuming he has playing offers elsewhere and is waiting to see if Charlton offer him a coaching role.
    Gillingham or Orient, possibly AFC, are the obvious moves.

Exactly the type of character Harris would welcome after his comments this weekend. 
  • Options

At least Jackson has been straight up with him up front rather than string him along through the summer.
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    "From a playing point of view, I won’t be here. But I’m hoping there’s potential for me to get a coaching role here and then I have options to play elsewhere."

An interesting comment, suggesting he could play elsewhere while also doing some (academy?) coaching with us next season as well. 
    I'm presuming he has playing offers elsewhere and is waiting to see if Charlton offer him a coaching role.

Exactly the type of character Harris would welcome after his comments this weekend. 
    Is that interview available to view anywhere ?
  • Options
    shirty5 said:

Is that interview available to view anywhere ?

PCPresenter on Twitter: "Gillingham manager, Neil Harris - "Seven players under contract that won't be here next season, don't want them" Watch this interview, it is absolutely cutting about the infrastructure. #EFL https://t.co/KOY7YtLVsn" / Twitter
  • Options
    Can't remember who we were playing but a guy went past him so Pearce rugby tackled him. Took the booking but stopped the attack.
  • Options

He’s been in and around football long enough to know what’s what. 
    Yes, and realistically, a lot of the players must know or feel the sense of underperformance and those out of contract will know they are at risk of being moved on

If not, or we haven’t created that sense within the club then something is badly wrong.

It was mentioned about having Pearce alongside whoever for 30+ games on the other page.  We’ve had him alongside others this season for 20 odd at least.  We’re not pushing further on by retaining him if he gets anywhere near that many games again.  It will be Groundhog Day 
  • Options
    got to be honest, not a fan of him as coach. Think he’s a massive flapper and quite cynical as a defender. Don’t really fancy a person coaching us who’s heights is a league one promotion player, we should and could be aiming for higher than that, sick of us being a charity for people to earn a wage. 

They guy has spent 6 seasons playing in the Championship, for Pompey, Leeds, Wigan and us.
    Wigan was league one, a whole season at at Pompey yes where he was relegated with them, just like he was with us. So already 3 out of those 4 teams you could argue he wasn’t championship standard. If you look at this time at Leeds 99 appearances in just about 3 seasons? Hardly a mainstay and they were a mid table side in that time. So I stand corrected, heights of a squad player in mid table championship side, with a player of the month award where we got relegated anyway. 

He’s just not very good and we can do better. I’m fed up of keeping players around cause they are just good characters, I’d like to think I would try a bit hard if I was on over 5 grand a week 
  • Options

Might sound a bit brutal, but at least he's had a full career in the Football League to enjoy - Coming to that point of the year, where the likes of Wassim Aoucharia etc. are having their football dreams destroyed.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    got to be honest, not a fan of him as coach. Think he’s a massive flapper and quite cynical as a defender. Don’t really fancy a person coaching us who’s heights is a league one promotion player, we should and could be aiming for higher than that, sick of us being a charity for people to earn a wage. 

Warrior spirit, proper Charlton etc bla bla. The reality is I’ve watched that bloke be skinned and have to pull someone down for 4 seasons straight or occasionally win a ‘proper battle’ with an average league 1 striker  here and there. 

Thanks for your time but no thanks. We have become far too sentimental, accepting mediocrity at the club 
    Have you watched him do any coaching?
    I imagine probably as much as you? Unless you’ve been watching him coach kids, that absolutely does not transfer to mens football. 

I don’t wanna flog the thread but someone else has said what about Klopp and Jose. Those are very rare examples of it working. Typically speaking the highest level of manager played at the highest or a very high level of football. Like I said, he panics and is a style of centre back that is becoming lost in the modern game. We should be aiming for higher and he should be last resort as a coach to fill numbers
  • Options
    edited May 2022

Warrior spirit, proper Charlton etc bla bla. The reality is I’ve watched that bloke be skinned and have to pull someone down for 4 seasons straight or occasionally win a ‘proper battle’ with an average league 1 striker  here and there. 

Thanks for your time but no thanks. We have become far too sentimental, accepting mediocrity at the club 
    I imagine probably as much as you? Unless you’ve been watching him coach kids, that absolutely does not transfer to mens football. 

I don’t wanna flog the thread but someone else has said what about Klopp and Jose. Those are very rare examples of it working. Typically speaking the highest level of manager played at the highest or a very high level of football. Like I said, he panics and is a style of centre back that is becoming lost in the modern game. We should be aiming for higher and he should be last resort as a coach to fill numbers
    No I've never seen him coach at all - Just the way you said you weren't a fan of him as coach made me wonder if you'd seen his coaching methods first hand, rather than as a dig - I do however feel that a playing career is a little overrated when discussing someone as a coach.
  • Options

No I've never seen him coach at all - Just the way you said you weren't a fan of him as coach made me wonder if you'd seen his coaching methods first hand, rather than as a dig - I do however feel that a playing career is a little overrated when discussing someone as a coach.
    Yeah tbf I should have said ‘the idea of him as a coach’ cause that’s what I meant. My bad 
  • Options

Might sound a bit brutal, but at least he's had a full career in the Football League to enjoy - Coming to that point of the year, where the likes of Wassim Aoucharia etc. are having their football dreams destroyed.
    No I completely get that, sad to see him go but I understand the decision is probably best for the club. 

It’s just that I noticed he kept repeating that same line. Considering the two of them are relatively close, he seems to have taken it to heart. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if he ended up at Wimbledon 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    On balance probably the right decision - Pearce was a borderline one year extension for me, I would've fully supported whatever decision was made. His value would've been in his leadership and being a model pro around the group rather than on the pitch.

What the news does do is give me hope that the words coming out of the club aren't fluff this summer. If Pearce played another 20+ games next year, that would be a sign of another season of struggle. We are going to be ruthless with contracts in order to properly have a go at promotion next year.
  • Options
    Sounds like he is staying as a coach then from TS comments last night.
    unless there are a few moving on, we have more coaches than National Express .. perhaps a case of too many cooks/coaches spoiling the tactics
    If we get Cat 1 we'll need extra coaches.
    have you seen the list of our current coaching mob and the rest of the backroomers .. no wonder we can't afford decent players ?

Coaching staff[edit]

Role[86]Name
    ManagerEngland Johnnie Jackson[87]
    Director of AnalyticsDenmark Martin Sandgaard[88]
    Director of RecruitingRepublic of Ireland Steve Gallen[88]
    First-Team CoachJamaica Jason Euell[89]
    First-Team CoachEngland Terry Skiverton[90]
    First-Team Development CoachEngland Jon De Souza[91]
    Goalkeeper CoachEngland Glyn Shimell
    First-Team Lead Sports ScientistEngland Ben Talbot
    First-Team DoctorEngland Toby Longwill
    Head of Physical PerformanceEngland Josh Hornby
    First-Team Head PhysiotherapistEngland Adam Coe
    First-Team Assistant PhysiotherapistEngland Alex Ng
    First-Team Assistant TherapistEngland Steve Jackson
    Head of Performance AnalysisEngland Brett Shaw
    First-Team Kit ManagerEngland Wayne Baldacchino
    Academy ManagerEngland Steve Avory
    Academy Head of Coaching (U9-U23)England Rhys Williams
    Senior Professional Development Lead Coach (U23)Republic of Ireland Anthony Hayes
    Senior Professional Development Lead Coach (U18)England Hamza Serrar
    Technical Development Coach (U14-U18)Ukraine Sergei Baltacha
    Lead Youth Development Phase Coach (U12-16)England David Chatwin
    Head of Academy Sport Science and MedicineEngland Danny Campbell
    Senior Academy ScoutEngland Bert Dawkins
    Academy Performance AnalystEngland James Parker
    Academy PhysiotherapistEngland Andriana Tsiantoula
    Kit AssistantEngland Ben Mehmet
    Kit AssistantEngland James Simmons

• Options
    unless there are a few moving on, we have more coaches than National Express .. perhaps a case of too many cooks/coaches spoiling the tactics
    have you seen the list of our current coaching mob and the rest of the backroomers .. no wonder we can't afford decent players ?

Coaching staff[edit]

Role[86]Name
    Senior Professional Development Lead Coach (U23)Republic of Ireland Anthony Hayes

Program seller? Peanuts tanner a bag seller ?  :D
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Coaching staff[edit]

Role[86]Name

I've picked Shrewsbury at complete random to find a L1 comparison. (First name that came to mind)

They list nine first-team staff here, compared with our 13: https://www.shrewsburytown.com/teams/first-team/

NB I have left Sandgaard and Gallen out of this, as they seem to be more overarching than just focused on the first team.

The roles we have that they don't are First Team Development Coach; Sports Scientist; First Team Doctor (they have a p/t one according to LinkedIn); Assistant Physio; and Assistant Therapist (though they've got a Sports Therapist that might be the same thing here).

That's... in my opinion, not that egregious or bloated. Our youth academy is something I've not looked at - but given it is in large part a source of players and income, the list of staff there is also pretty normal. I'd imagine that a few people (Kit Assistants, Academy physio, maybe development coaches) would be on a relatively minimal wage or be part-time. Just spied Andriana Tsiantoula graduated in 2020 and joined us - I imagine that's a relatively small expenditure, for instance.

Don't get me wrong, we'll still be spending a fair amount on coaching staff, but this is not a ridiculous list by any means.
  • Options

Sad for Jason, but JJ needs to be the manager and friendships go out the window. 
  • Options

Coaching staff[edit]

Role[86]Name

Jason could be the Kit Assistant's Assistant.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Coaching staff[edit]

Role[86]Name

I've picked Shrewsbury at complete random to find a L1 comparison. (First name that came to mind)

They list nine first-team staff here, compared with our 13: https://www.shrewsburytown.com/teams/first-team/

NB I have left Sandgaard and Gallen out of this, as they seem to be more overarching than just focused on the first team.

The roles we have that they don't are First Team Development Coach; Sports Scientist; First Team Doctor (they have a p/t one according to LinkedIn); Assistant Physio; and Assistant Therapist (though they've got a Sports Therapist that might be the same thing here).

That's... in my opinion, not that egregious or bloated. Our youth academy is something I've not looked at - but given it is in large part a source of players and income, the list of staff there is also pretty normal. I'd imagine that a few people (Kit Assistants, Academy physio, maybe development coaches) would be on a relatively minimal wage or be part-time. Just spied Andriana Tsiantoula graduated in 2020 and joined us - I imagine that's a relatively small expenditure, for instance.

Don't get me wrong, we'll still be spending a fair amount on coaching staff, but this is not a ridiculous list by any means.
    you make good points .. about the academy, as I understand it, there is a drive to get our system up to category one status, and that's why there is a big staff there and a lot of Lifers (in the know?) opine that we need more coaches for a Cat 1 status push ..
     my question is, if/when we get category one status, are the cream of the youth crop going to choose us over (e.g.) Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and the big northern clubs .. anyway, I have digressed a long way from the tributes due to Jason Pearce
  • Options
    The harsh reality of professional football and why they are paid the relatively big bucks (compared to the ordinary man in the street) when it comes to an end at an early age and no certainty for the future. 

If he gets to play on elsewhere then good luck to him. He deserves whatever options emerge. 

From a selfish club perspective hopefully it’s indicative that we intend to replace with a longer term option. 
  • Options

Coaching staff[edit]

Role[86]Name

Have to agree Lincs  that's a fair amount  :o
  • Options
    Sage said:

Coaching staff[edit]

Role[86]Name

Have to agree Lincs  that's a fair amount  :o
    I actually disagree. You have 16 there who will do no coaching whatsoever with the majority on the medical and sports science side.

You have the manager, the assistant manager, the first team coach, a new individual development coach, goalkeeper coach, and then the academy set up where you need a minimum number of coaches to fulfil Cat 1 academy. We will need more.

Clubs higher up the pyramid have a coach for each section, many will have a set-piece coach and someone specifically for strength and conditioning, they’ll also have a team of analysts rather than the one man band for the first team that we have.

It might be a lot for a League One club but you cannot compare us to someone like Shrewsbury when we have completely different aspirations and set ups.
    NB my Shrewsbury comp was literally at random and not meant to draw a playing/status parallel
  • Options
    We need a coach for every row of the formation.

GK
    DF
    MF
    FW

Assuming Jackson is working with the midfield & overall managing the side, Euell could be working with the forward do we have a keeping coach right now? Or a defence coach?
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Dazzler21 said:
    We need a coach for every row of the formation.

GK
    DF
    MF
    FW

Assuming Jackson is working with the midfield & overall managing the side, Euell could be working with the forward do we have a keeping coach right now? Or a defence coach?
    Shimell is the goal keeper coach and Skiverton was a CB wasn’t he?