Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jason Pearce - (p11 - retires and joins Academy as coach)

Comments

• Options
    Makes sense in the long-term for him. 

He has his own academy and clearly wants to go into coaching, why jump around in League Two/Non-league for a few years when you have the great chance to jump into coaching at a reasonably high level. 
    Just came across an article on that. Jonathan Greening was rejected for 50-60 managerial roles, including by Scarborough where he eventually got the job.

Staying here could give Pearce a pathway to first team coaching and as you say he gets to start at a fairly high level.

https://www-gazettelive-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/c/s/www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/jonathan-greening-ignored-50-60-24167409.amp
  • Options
    Probably realised that he can earn similar amounts in our academy compared to league two deals on offer.
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    Same as Scoham above I thought he would play on but the reality is Jason Pearce has been offered a coaching job at a club he has been Captain at and he can dovetail from player to U18 coach smoothly. 
    He will miss the adrenaline of matches but he sounds enthusiastic about coaching and when a 17 year professional play comes to an end he has a potential 30 year + coaching and even managers job ahead.

I considered doing the jokes about teaching rugby tackles or changing shirts during the game but Don't think because he was in his own words a "dirty player" he can't teach the beautiful game.

Players don't always coach the style they played. 
  • Options
    Good luck to him.  Personally felt that from a playing perspective, we should’ve released him the season we got relegated from the Championship, however, we probably wouldn’t have been able to get him as an academy coach, which I think he’ll do excellently at.  He’s very driven, never gave anything less than 100% in the shirt and will be able to teach the youngsters some very good things.

I agree with WSS’ point about wages.  I think he has always been on a decent wedge during his time here, even when we renewed last year.  The hassle of uprooting family at the stage he is in his life for the sake of a move to a league 2 club just might not be worth the minutes on the pitch 
  • Options
    Fair play to him, I'm sure he'll have felt that he could have played on and he'll have thought long and hard before hanging up on the boots.

That said I think he'll be a good coach, maybe even a great one in time.
  • Options
    Pleased to hear he’ll still be around the place!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yeah top man is Jason. Nothing but respect for him. Been through a lot with us. Pleased he is still around the place, as he seems very down to earth. 
  • Options
    I've always viewed Pearce as playing the same role James Milner / Jordan Henderson do at Liverpool. Not the greatest in the team, but 100% effort and demand the same from others.

Personally, I'm really chuffed he's staying and I think the U18's will undoubtedly benefit from his experience and commitment.
  • Options
    Delighted that Jason is staying with the club and wish him all the best in his new role. Sure he will give it 100 per cent - just as he did when he played. Sure youngsters will learn a lot from him. 
  • Options
    great pro - brilliant he'll still be around the place as well.

Met him at his academy once, absolute top bloke
  • Options
    I'm pleased he's staying, a tough decision.
  • Options
    Really surprised by the decision... Even hearing it through the thread title on the main page and then the statement - I guess he's wanted to stay locally because of his family, and because of his Academy = Perhaps too he realised he wanted a coaching role, just as much as a playing role and clubs around the London area in League Two werent able to offer that to him.
  • Options
    Great news, he will be an asset and a great source of motivation for the academy members. Good luck Jason.
  • Options
    A bit surprised he's not playing on, maybe the offers weren't with local clubs or wouldn't have been compatible with being able to coach for us as well?

It would be nice to see him play the occasional game for our U23s, in the way many higher level clubs have a senior pro out there to guide the youngsters. The likes of Elewere and Bakrin would benefit from him occasionally being alongside them
  • Options
    Well liked and an asset to the club. 
  • Options
    Excellent news. Been there and wore the shirt with pride. Fine example to our youngsters of what commitment is all about.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Classy classy guy. Glad he's in our setup, will only be a good thing. 
  • Options
    Happy with that. Sounds like he's pretty switched on with coaching as well. 
  • Options
    Classy message that. Shame he has retired as I thought at times last year he looked more than capable in this league. Thanks JP, glad your influence will still be a part of the club though.
  • Options
    Oh that’s great to hear.
    Well liked and is a very big persona at Sparrows Lane.
  • Options
    Like him as a player and as a man. Good guy. Gillingham pressed hard, but he stayed at The Valley. 
  • Options
    I told you all so some weeks ago, I had the scoop  
  • Options
    I'm not overly surprised he's hung up his boots. Although theres no doubt he could have played on at a level. I guess any contract will have been short (one season) and not necessarily local and he seems very settled here as are his family.

Is he the best defender/center half we've ever had? No, but I struggle to think of a player in the last 30 years more committed each and every game, he always gave 100% and some (as have many others, and some not so!). By all accounts he's great around the place/dressing room as well, what I'd call a proper old Pro.

I think the U18's are lucky to have him there and he'll no doubt help them immensely both on the footballing side but also on a wider basis.
  • Options
    I've always thought he'd make a good manager one day. Who knows maybe that will be with us at some point. Good luck Jason! 
  • Options
    I've always thought he'd make a good manager one day. Who knows maybe that will be with us at some point. Good luck Jason! 
    In October after we find ourselves letting 4 goals in every game. Pearce to come out of retirement as player/captain/manager  ;)