Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Papa John's Trophy 21/22: The Group Stage

Further details have been confirmed ahead of the Papa John's Trophy Round One draw on Thursday 24 June 2021.

The 16 Invited U21 teams will be placed into their respective Northern and Southern section Groups

Charlton are in Group G with Crawley & Leyton Orient & one of the invited clubs, Arsenal U21, Aston Villa U21, Brighton U21, Chelsea U21, Crystal Palace U21, Southampton U21, Tottenham U21 & West Ham U21

The Round One draw will take place live on Sky Sports at 4:30pm.

Comments

• Options
    I would like to think we can take this a bit more seriously this season.

It would be nice to field some fringe 1st team players and some u23s not just a team of people that are fit and definitely not playing the next league game.  Which, being honest, is what we have done the last 2 years. 
  • Options
    Southampton U21 join us in group G
  • Options
    Who are we playing away? 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    Who are we playing away? 
    Dunno, but I expect we will get stuffed (crust)
  • Options
    Crawley at home and Orient away would be best. Already had Orient at home in this competition last season and Crawley away a few years back. Same year we had Southampton U21 wasn't it? This competition is truly magical...
  • Options
    I absolutely hate this pointless competition. 
    But as we have to play in it we may as well try and get something out of it.

Now I would like to think that by the time the season starts players like Watson  Gunter  and Pearce will not be in our starting eleven and will only be used as cover. 
    But they will need to be match fit.
    So this competition will be ideal in that situation. 
  • Options
    Do we have to play it? Honestly just take the fine and don’t enter this mickey mouse cup. Just adds needless fixture congestion,  
  • Options
    Crawley at home and Orient away would be best. Already had Orient at home in this competition last season and Crawley away a few years back. Same year we had Southampton U21 wasn't it? This competition is truly magical...
    I heard that if you played same the club at home last season the match will be away.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Why is this still a thing?
  • Options
    We should make a massive thing of this competition.  A chance to see the Southampton kids of the future, re-union with Darren Pratley and another potential day out at Wembley.  What's not to like?

Also, if Sandgaard's five/six/seven year plan is realistic, we will have limited opportunities to add this Cup to the groaning CAFC trophy cabinet.

Bring it on, I say.  Promotion may be difficult ... but we can beat Crawley, surely?
  • Options
    What a waste of everyone’s time. 
  • Options
    The road to Wembley starts here….. but not for us!
  • Options
    Will away goals count double?
  • Options
    Dave Rudd said:
    We should make a massive thing of this competition.  A chance to see the Southampton kids of the future, re-union with Darren Pratley and another potential day out at Wembley.  What's not to like?

Also, if Sandgaard's five/six/seven year plan is realistic, we will have limited opportunities to add this Cup to the groaning CAFC trophy cabinet.

Bring it on, I say.  Promotion may be difficult ... but we can beat Crawley, surely?
    No our U21s will be able to win it from 2023 when we have a cat 1 academy 🐱

Maybe we can field 2 teams 😁
  • Options
    I think the issue with the competition is the stipulation on playing first team players. It should be opened to squad players and it then suddenly becomes a useful competition for clubs.
  • Options
    I think the issue with the competition is the stipulation on playing first team players. It should be opened to squad players and it then suddenly becomes a useful competition for clubs.
    Everyone ignored it anyway.  Remember that farce of someone subbing their keeper at kick off. 
  • Options
    In itself, it is good to blood a few young players and give fringe players some semi competitive football. Personally, I wouldn't want to win it as there is zero prestige to it. Unless we win it with a reserve side of course.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Crawley (H) - 31st Aug
    Southampton (H) - 5th Oct
    Orient (A) - 9th Nov
  • Options
    Crawley (H) - 31st Aug
    Orient (A) - 9th Nov
    God this shit show drags on until November?!?! 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Crawley (H) - 31st Aug
    Orient (A) - 9th Nov
    God this shit show drags on until November?!?! 
    Let’s hope no longer 
  • Options
    Darren pratley reunion at brisbane road. 
  • Options
    Hopefully it is only a 'slice' of action, really can't be arsed with the whole thing
  • Options
    Crawley (H) - 31st Aug
    Orient (A) - 9th Nov
    No! No! No! as someone once said.
  • Options
    Crawley (H) - 31st Aug
    Orient (A) - 9th Nov
    No! No! No! as someone once said.

?
  • Options
    Jesus. Is this thing still going? 
    Does anyone actually care about this competition? Genuinely couldn’t even tell you who won it last year. Or ever. Waste of time.
  • Options
    Please get us banned from this shameful competition, imagine if we had to play palace u21 , shame beyond anything 
    yes it might help some young players but it’s another shameful blot on our recent history of utter shitness 

yours , a Charlton footballing snob who believes we should be punching above here in the footballing world 

Always said the day we lose to Palace U23 in this shit fest of a cup is the day I give up on football forever.  We should simply register 17 fans as pay as you play professionals on £1 a game and do a prize draw for the places.  Take the absolute piss and get banned.  It's totally ridiculous and should not be taken seriously.  Would not bother with the final if we ever made it.