Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Papa John's Trophy 21/22: The Group Stage

Comments

• Options
    The format of this competition is patronising nonsense. In what world does anyone think its appropriate for senior pros to be pitched against another club's U23 team. 

If it were my choice, we would announce our intent to go like for like and only play our U23's. If that led to a fine, so be it.

I'd also be clear that whilst the EFL may include the games in their official records, they wont be recorded as first team games by the club.

As an aside, I had my first ever Papa John's pizza a few weeks back. It was crap.
  • Options
    In the OP it says it’s u21 teams not u23 
    it’ll be their u18s next ffs 🙄
  • Options
    I think the issue with the competition is the stipulation on playing first team players. It should be opened to squad players and it then suddenly becomes a useful competition for clubs.
    The problem is that it's been turned from a cup for lower division sides into a means for Cat 1 sides to give their youngsters match practice against senior players

The big club academies want their starlets playing against battle hardened senior pros, the Pearces and Gunters

A majority of L1 and L2 sides voted for this shambles, in exchange for a small amount of financing from the PL
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Ridiculous thing.  We already have a L1 and L2 competition.  It's called the football season and the winner even gets a cup.
  • Options
    I think the issue with the competition is the stipulation on playing first team players. It should be opened to squad players and it then suddenly becomes a useful competition for clubs.
    The problem is that it's been turned from a cup for lower division sides into a means for Cat 1 sides to give their youngsters match practice against senior players

The big club academies want their starlets being injured by battle hardened senior pros, the Pearces and Gunters

A majority of L1 and L2 sides voted for this shambles, in exchange for a small amount of financing from the PL
    Fixed for you.
  • Options
    However, it is our only chance of getting to Wembley this coming season. 
  • Options
    We have 5 chances of getting to Wembley this season if you count the FA Cup Semi Finals and Final
  • Options
    It's the kind of trophy that if you won it you wouldn't tell a soul about it!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    OK, here it is, you know you can find this online, don't you?  ;)

Sad in the Rain Doctor Who  Reaction GIFs
  • Options
    Not often we agree. I wonder how many naysayers would turn up if we got to the final. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    Not often we agree. I wonder how many naysayers would turn up if we got to the final. 
    100 % I wouldn't. 
    Embarrassing competition 
  • Options
    It’s just turned into one more stick to beat me with from my West Ham and Spurs supporting mates. What’s that pizza cup like? Goes with, what’s it like to be in the 1st round proper of the FA cup and never mind, just stick on your hammer horror dvd. I fkin hate this league and how far we’ve dropped off from even those clubs and this competition does nothing but accentuate the fact, it’s torture. 

• Options

The Addicks have received an allocation of 300 for the final group stage game at the Breyer Group Stadium on Tuesday, 9th November (7pm).

PRICES

Adults: £5

U18: £1

https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/616999a7b3f50/ticketing-details-for-plymouth-argyle-h-and-leyton-orient-a

• Options
    I want to win it, would be a good fun trip to Wembley without the panic of it really mattering if we lose 
  • Options
    I know I'm in a vast minority, but for once I would like to see us going for this. Barring a relegation battle, our season is now just a case of damage limitation, ready to give promotion another shot next season, so why not at least try and win a pot and have a day out at Wembley?

I don't get the arrogance amongst some of our support that think this trophy is below us. The fact is we are a League one club and going by our league position, not a very good one at that. It's certainly not going to distract us from a promotion push (unless we have the mother of all revivals), so why not try and win something for once?
    Barring a relegation battle our season is damage limitation

Seriously?

I dont understand comments like this from people who have followed football for such a long time, if it wae people who were new to the game maybe.

There are still 32 games left and we are 12 points behind 6th, do you honestly think it's impossible to get an extra 4 wins over everyone else in the next 32 games.

Hope the players dont see this defeatist attitude 
  • Options
    we should sell out that 300 allocation if we gain at least 4 points from our next two league games. the mood will be good
  • Options
    Charges for charlton TV need to be reduced for these remaining games. £10 is OK when a ticket is £28..... not such great value when its twice the price of attending !. 
  • Options
    I know I'm in a vast minority, but for once I would like to see us going for this. Barring a relegation battle, our season is now just a case of damage limitation, ready to give promotion another shot next season, so why not at least try and win a pot and have a day out at Wembley?

I don't get the arrogance amongst some of our support that think this trophy is below us. The fact is we are a League one club and going by our league position, not a very good one at that. It's certainly not going to distract us from a promotion push (unless we have the mother of all revivals), so why not try and win something for once?

Seriously?

I dont understand comments like this from people who have followed football for such a long time, if it wae people who were new to the game maybe.

There are still 32 games left and we are 12 points behind 6th, do you honestly think it's impossible to get an extra 4 wins over everyone else in the next 32 games.

It's also a fact that our form over the last 46 games is closer to relegation than the play offs.  The points we have got from the last full seasons worth of games would have us finish about 16th last season.

Its certainly not a written off season, we have got to stay up yet! 
  • Options
    edited October 2021

Seriously?

You seem very optimistic for someone that's been following this club for a while. I know we're all feeling bouyant from the change of management and a victory, but there's a way to go before we can start looking at this season with any thoughts of breaking into the top 6. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's unlikely. Clawing back 12 points is a massive ask. Good form may well push us 12 points clear of those currently around us, but to catch up with teams that are also winning is the tricky part. Personally I think the best we'll get this season is top 10 and miss out on the play-offs, but who knows?

But my point in this thread is that I'd like to see us looking for success in this cup, rather than just to dismiss it as a distraction and you never know, a bit of success might even give the lads an extra boost for the final 6 games and push us into the top 6
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Seriously?

You seem very optimistic for someone that's been following this club for a while. I know we're all feeling bouyant from the change of management and a victory, but there's a way to go before we can start looking at this season with any thoughts of breaking into the top 6. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's unlikely. Clawing back 12 points is a massive ask. Good form may well push us 12 points clear of those currently around us, but to catch up with teams that are also winning is the tricky part. Personally I think the best we'll get this season is top 10 and miss out on the play-offs, but who knows?

But my point in this thread is that I'd like to see us looking for success in this cup, rather than just to dismiss it as a distraction and you never know, a bit of success might even give the lads an extra boost for the final 6 games and push us into the top 6
    I would agree that this season is probably one where we ought to give this competition a go

Apart from anything else, we have a bloated squad, so there will be players who need the games
  • Options
    When’s the draw for the next round?
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    When’s the draw for the next round?

When the group stage is finished would be my guess. We have Leyton Orient to play on the 9th of Nov. Both of us are on 6 pts, so it's just for bragging rights really (assuming one can brag about topping a group in this trophy).

• Options
    I agree with Tango. We should have a real go at this for once, especially as unusually we have the depth in squad. Unlike the other cups, it's a winnable trophy and therefore not to be sniffed at.
  • Options
    One thing that doesn't help the 'tinpot' accusations at this competition is the scheduling. Looking at some of the remaining fixtures in both the north and south sections there are plenty of teams not playing their final group games at the same time, which therefore means some sides have the advantage of knowing what result they need. If you're going to run a competition, at least do it properly.

I agree that we should be looking to have a run in it though, winning breeds confidence and we certainly need some more of it. All of the clubs i'd say were favourites (Rotherham, Sunderland, Sheff Weds, Lincoln) are in the northern section. In the Southern section, Wycombe and Oxford are out and Portsmouth look likely to join them, so there's only really Ipswich and MK Dons left that i'd consider a danger. There is of course the danger looming of a possible tie with Palace's U21 side, it just wouldn't bear thinking about if we lost to them.

• Options
    Why not go and win it , have it indelibly inked in our history , the cherry on top of our most dark footballing times ever  (hopefully it can’t get any worse) .
    We were soooo wank we took the papa’s used johnnys trophy seriously 

nope,  I’ll be there cos my young uns have not seen us at Wembley but I won’t shed a tear if we don’t make it .

Yours the football snob of Epping 

• Options
    We should be topping this league.

(Have we done this gag already?)
  • Options
    I've always liked the idea of this trophy. When we dropped down to the third tier in 2009(?), I saw us as - for once- being among the favourites to win a cup for the first time in my life. 

While the inclusion of U21 teams is just... wrong ... I'd still like to see us go for this and would welcome the day out at Wembley. 
  • Options
    I mean we could try and win one game in the FA Cup, maybe even two….That’d make a nicer change to a season for me….
  • Options
    While the inclusion of the U21 teas has badly tarnished this trophy, a look at the previous winners shows plenty of comparable sides to us, even outside of the current L1

Bristol City have won it 3 times, Wigan, Birmingham, Swansea and Stoke twice.