Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Papa John's Trophy 21/22: The Group Stage

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Boring! 
    Would have liked an ‘easier route’ to the final, but surely this’ll be a near first team affair 
  • Options
    Shame the U21 teams dont get kept apart.
  • Options
    Very much doubt if it'll be any nearer first team than last week. Defeats the object of giving youngsters experience and keeping fringe players match fit. 
  • Options
    Any idea when it is? 
  • Options
    redman said:
    Any idea when it is? 
    w/c 3rd January so right before the FA Cup again.
  • Options
    How many loyalty points will I need for that one?
  • Options
    *clenches fist* IRVIIING
  • Options
    This is a C88p competition. I have always had no time for it.

But .....

If the draw is seeded ie we are in the southern group all the way to the final, we really have got a very good chance of getting to Wembley playing a reasonably strong team. Is there anyone left we should fear? I don't think so, apart from, ironically, the Arsenal/Chelsea U-21 teams.

Despite my misgivings it's surely got to be worth giving it a good go this year given that our chances of getting into the play-offs are still someway off.   
  • Options

But .....

If the draw is seeded ie we are in the southern group all the way to the final, we really have got a very good chance of getting to Wembley playing a reasonably strong team. Is there anyone left we should fear? I don't think so, apart from, ironically, the Arsenal/Chelsea U-21 teams.

Despite my misgivings it's surely got to be worth giving it a good go this year given that our chances of getting into the play-offs are still someway off.   
    Nope from the next round we can face Northern teams too
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

But .....

I think they've changed it this year and for some reason it's not split north/south after the next round, so we could then get Rotherham or Wigan.

No idea why though as for such a poorly attended tournament the least they could do is have local games all the way to Wembley. Trekking to somewhere like Wigan or Hartlepool to play in front of a crowd of about 800 seems pointless.
  • Options
    How seriously we take this may depend on who we get in the FA Cup, and whether the 3rd round game is

1) winnable
    2) a massive glamour tie
    3) or a rubbish tie against a Huddersfield or Blackburn which nobody cares about, and we'll probably lose anyway
  • Options
    Charwill said:
    mk dons at home!!
    This weekend keeps getting better and better.
  • Options
    How many loyalty points will I need for that one?
    They should give out bonus points to people who turn up
  • Options
    redman said:
    Let's hope that we get Arsenal or Chelsea and lose. The sooner we get knocked out of this nonsense, the better. It's embarrassing.
    Really can't understand the mentality of wanting to lose. These games are tremendous experience for likes of Burstow, Bakrin, Elerwere and Harkness. Also helps keep some of first team squad like Morgan, Kirk, Davison and Watson reasonably sharp. 
    That's true but this is what reserve matches were for. It's bloody nuts that you have to now win knock-out matches to get another fixture for your reserves.
  • Options
    How seriously we take this may depend on who we get in the FA Cup, and whether the 3rd round game is

1) winnable
    2) a massive glamour tie
    3) or a rubbish tie against a Huddersfield or Blackburn which nobody cares about, and we'll probably lose anyway
    That's a very fair point.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    redman said:
    Let's hope that we get Arsenal or Chelsea and lose. The sooner we get knocked out of this nonsense, the better. It's embarrassing.
    Really can't understand the mentality of wanting to lose. These games are tremendous experience for likes of Burstow, Bakrin, Elerwere and Harkness. Also helps keep some of first team squad like Morgan, Kirk, Davison and Watson reasonably sharp. 
    That's true but this is what reserve matches were for. It's bloody nuts that you have to now win knock-out matches to get another fixture for your reserves.
    In today’s game where teams seem to rely more and more on its squad then games where there is the expectation of win and you get to the next stage or lose and you’re out bring a little more game time benefit for players either trying to get into the match day team or trying to stay in it. This and the FA Cup could stand us in good stead for the rest of the league campaign, particularly with players coming back from injury and the development sides showing such promise and knocking on the door. Stockley has managed 3 more goals despite a 3 match league suspension due to the two cup matches and that must be good for his game. I’d be surprised if any player didn’t want to play in these games now we look like we are taking them a bit bore seriously and there’s potentially a little bit of glory to chase.
  • Options
    The Addicks host MK Dons at The Valley on Tuesday, January 4th (7pm) in the Papa John’s Trophy round of 16 and as with previous ties this term, only the West lower will be open.
    Tickets will be priced at £5 for adults and £1 for concessions (over 65/U21s).
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61b76ac201c42/mk-dons-h-and-cheltenham-town-a-tickets-to-go-on-sale