Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jim Davidson - Yacht's Not To Like?

Comments

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    I’m indifferent to his type of comedy element, I just don’t buy it that he has been a supporter for as long as it’s made out - my only recollection of him and Charlton being connected before the Prem years, was that stupid TV show in the 70’s where football clubs were represented by celebs in a game show style format (or something like that - I’m sure someone will remember what was called) 
    He was around in the Hales/ Flanagan era and before.
    But we have a more pressing question now !!

What was that TV show that he was on representing Charlton called ??
  • Options
    He quite often sits with the commentators on the gantry in the East Stand. Usually arriving after the game has started.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    I’m indifferent to his type of comedy element, I just don’t buy it that he has been a supporter for as long as it’s made out - my only recollection of him and Charlton being connected before the Prem years, was that stupid TV show in the 70’s where football clubs were represented by celebs in a game show style format (or something like that - I’m sure someone will remember what was called) 

I seem to remember Jim Bowen????!!! represented us, gawd knows why.
    He’s followed Charlton since he was at St Austin’s in Charlton back in the 60’s
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    His comedy isn't to a lot of people's taste (including mine) but I think the main reason he's hated is that he's a working class, Tory supporting entertainer which is about as bad as it gets in many people's eyes. 
    He’s also racist, sexist and homophobic. Which does it for me.

Jimbo is in his mid 60's and his comedy since he was 20 has reflected the times and also he gave his audience what they found funny.

We now have a fully multi racial society with London being totally cosmopolitan with a myriad of different folk from all over the globe. Chalky, 'Jim's black mate' a character from 4 decades ago doesn't reflect the young Black and dual heritage people who have been born and raised in this Country.

Despite never having been into his comedy; he is a Charlton fan and that's one redeeming feature, though I always thought he was mad for getting married so many times and all that dosh he has to pay out.

I got news for most of the younger guys on here from a white background. So many of your Dad's, Grandad's would've had similar views from Jim if they came from the 'working classes' or even the likes of Churchill who would have ticked all the boxes for Racist, sexist and homophobic because they were the majority view back in the day.

2021 is a different world. 
    I grew up in the 70s and found him offensive, unpleasant and unfunny back then. 
    I was born in 1955 and found him offensive from when I first heard him. There’s no excuse for the routines he did regardless of when they were made.
    I was also born in 1955 and I found him very funny back in the day.
    Couldn't get away with that type of humour now  of course but back then I did find him funny  
    People don't have a sense of humour these days, get (or they say they do) offended at the most pathetic little thing. Not sure why they don't just stay indoors and watch gardeners world of indoor bowls, but I am sure they would find some offence in that.
    Having a discerning sense of humour might be different to you but doesn’t mean a lack of a sense of humour.

If being offended by racism, sexism and homophobia is just a “pathetic little thing” I plead guilty. As too gardening I hate it personally but see it’s a greatly loved pursuit of many that is beneficial to all. If indoor bowls is on and I chance on it I enjoy watching it. It’s very soothing and nap enabling.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

Quizball maybe?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Hal1x said:

Quizball maybe?
    I thought that, but it wasn’t that show - it’s really annoying me trying to find out what was called
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafc999 said:
    For every right wing comedian there is a left wing one. Nothing to see here
    With all these wingers about why can't we sign one?  ;)
  • Options
    cafc999 said:
    For every right wing comedian there is a left wing one. Nothing to see here
    With all these wingers about why can't we sign one?  ;)
    We did sign a comedian as a winger... I think he was calledTony Towner.
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    Love this picture and his reaction.

See the source image
    I have no idea what happened to this flag but if it still exists it should be displayed in the museum as a reminder of the Nightmeire years 
    That was superb that day especially as the East Stand were directing it to its rightful place. As for displaying it, I am sure some cancel culture prawn, would object to it.  Great idea though.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    First time i heard his Charlton Nil gag was on Big Break. Way before the premiership years. He's proper Charlton.
  • Options
    What is deemed offensive now,was not looked at in the same light years ago.Anyone remember the Les Berry testimonial against Arsenal,Jim did the introductions with "Here com de Arsenal team"as Paul Davis,Micky Thomas etc. run out pissing themselves laughing.
  • Options
    Jim does a lot of charity work for the Armed Forces Veterans etc, expect the lefties hate that!
  • Options
    Great post Arry, right on the money.
  • Options
    Met Jim in London a couple of years ago. Was more than happy to have a chat.  Came across as a nice bloke! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hal1x said:

Up For The Cup was the terrible ATV quiz show, hosted by David 'Diddy David Hamilton' Hamilton, which ran for nine shows, in the Autumn of 1980, up against the Generation Game.  It was terrible and was never recommissioned.  Jim Bowen was, for some utterly unfathomable reason, selected to represent Charlton in a format requiring one 'celebrity' to represent a football club, competing against an opponent celebrity/club in a knock-out format. It was as bad as it sounds. 

The only possible link I can see between this programme and Charlton is that ATV was, at the time, controlled by Lew Grade, Michael's uncle. 

Up For The Cup was so bad, it was never recommissioned.  ATV itself folded just over a year later. 
  • Options
    That's because he is.

Too many people upset by the fact some of his act 40 years ago is now considered in poor taste but it's mainly because he's a working class Tory. And a lot of posters on here hate that.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Hal1x said:

Up For The Cup was the terrible ATV quiz show, hosted by David 'Diddy David Hamilton' Hamilton, which ran for nine shows, in the Autumn of 1980, up against the Generation Game.  It was terrible and was never recommissioned.  Jim Bowen was, for some utterly unfathomable reason, selected to represent Charlton in a format requiring one 'celebrity' to represent a football club, competing against an opponent celebrity/club in a knock-out format. It was as bad as it sounds. 

The only possible link I can see between this programme and Charlton is that ATV was, at the time, controlled by Lew Grade, Michael's uncle. 

Up For The Cup was so bad, it was never recommissioned.  ATV itself folded just over a year later. 
    Thank you
  • Options
    Addickted said:
    That's because he is.

Too many people upset by the fact some of his act 40 years ago is now considered in poor taste but it's mainly because he's a working class Tory. And a lot of posters on here hate that.
    If he’s a Tory, I’m out. Never trust a Tory. 
  • Options
    Legend 
  • Options
    21 metre. Peasant boat. Anything under 50 doesn't count.
    I was going to say, that’s not a luxury yacht, this is 

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Hal1x said:

Jim Bowens Cockney accent was awful.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:
    Chizz said:
    Hal1x said:

Jim Bowens Cockney accent was awful.
    Although better than his native one.
  • Options
    Saw Jimbo at the Fairfield Halls about two months after we relegated palice.
    There were around 2,000 there, not all of them appreciated his Sha la la song!
  • Options
    Saw Jimbo at the Fairfield Halls about two months after we relegated palice.
    There were around 2,000 there, not all of them appreciated his Sha la la song!
    I hope you had a good wash after venturing to those parts - I would be asking for a jet wash after going there, to remove all the dirt !!