Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jim Davidson - Yacht's Not To Like?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Hal1x said:
    I’m indifferent to his type of comedy element, I just don’t buy it that he has been a supporter for as long as it’s made out - my only recollection of him and Charlton being connected before the Prem years, was that stupid TV show in the 70’s where football clubs were represented by celebs in a game show style format (or something like that - I’m sure someone will remember what was called) 
    He was around in the Hales/ Flanagan era and before.

I seem to remember Jim Bowen????!!! represented us, gawd knows why.
    Up For The Cup was the terrible ATV quiz show, hosted by David 'Diddy David Hamilton' Hamilton, which ran for nine shows, in the Autumn of 1980, up against the Generation Game.  It was terrible and was never recommissioned.  Jim Bowen was, for some utterly unfathomable reason, selected to represent Charlton in a format requiring one 'celebrity' to represent a football club, competing against an opponent celebrity/club in a knock-out format. It was as bad as it sounds. 

The only possible link I can see between this programme and Charlton is that ATV was, at the time, controlled by Lew Grade, Michael's uncle. 

Up For The Cup was so bad, it was never recommissioned.  ATV itself folded just over a year later. 
    I like to think that you didn't Google any of that and it was all off the top your head.
  • Options
    That was one of his jokes, right, years ago. When he says he was caught bunking over the fence when he was a kid and a copper grabbed him and said “get back in there with everyone else!”. As far as I know he’s been Charlton all his life. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    Hal1x said:
    I’m indifferent to his type of comedy element, I just don’t buy it that he has been a supporter for as long as it’s made out - my only recollection of him and Charlton being connected before the Prem years, was that stupid TV show in the 70’s where football clubs were represented by celebs in a game show style format (or something like that - I’m sure someone will remember what was called) 
    He was around in the Hales/ Flanagan era and before.

I seem to remember Jim Bowen????!!! represented us, gawd knows why.
    Up For The Cup was the terrible ATV quiz show, hosted by David 'Diddy David Hamilton' Hamilton, which ran for nine shows, in the Autumn of 1980, up against the Generation Game.  It was terrible and was never recommissioned.  Jim Bowen was, for some utterly unfathomable reason, selected to represent Charlton in a format requiring one 'celebrity' to represent a football club, competing against an opponent celebrity/club in a knock-out format. It was as bad as it sounds. 

The only possible link I can see between this programme and Charlton is that ATV was, at the time, controlled by Lew Grade, Michael's uncle. 

Up For The Cup was so bad, it was never recommissioned.  ATV itself folded just over a year later. 
    I like to think that you didn't Google any of that and it was all off the top your head.
    Some of it was.  I was such a terrible show, it's seared on my memory.  I could never work out why anyone thought the format was a good idea.  Utterly awful telly. 
  • Options
    Please excuse the lashings of irony in that 'LOL', by the way. 
  • Options
    21 metre. Peasant boat. Anything under 50 doesn't count.
    I was going to say, that’s not a luxury yacht, this is 

That's gotta be what 100m? That's just pretentious! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Hal1x said:
    Would it not be simpler to cut and paste the 2008 thread, and we could all have an early night.
    Or you could simply not comment !!
  • Options
    I liked him when he wrote a match preview on here (live from the Big Brother house)
  • Options
    I am pretty sure we had a Jim Davidson thread on here circa 2008 that went on for weeks, very impressive that some thirteen years later we are doing it all over again with the same posters saying the same things!
    Could say the same about most threads on here and most message boards tbh - we ain’t had the ‘who do u hate more - palace of millwall’ for at least 6 months and it’s a bit of a concern 
  • Options
    iainment said:
    iainment said:
    His comedy isn't to a lot of people's taste (including mine) but I think the main reason he's hated is that he's a working class, Tory supporting entertainer which is about as bad as it gets in many people's eyes. 
    He’s also racist, sexist and homophobic. Which does it for me.

Jimbo is in his mid 60's and his comedy since he was 20 has reflected the times and also he gave his audience what they found funny.

We now have a fully multi racial society with London being totally cosmopolitan with a myriad of different folk from all over the globe. Chalky, 'Jim's black mate' a character from 4 decades ago doesn't reflect the young Black and dual heritage people who have been born and raised in this Country.

Despite never having been into his comedy; he is a Charlton fan and that's one redeeming feature, though I always thought he was mad for getting married so many times and all that dosh he has to pay out.

I got news for most of the younger guys on here from a white background. So many of your Dad's, Grandad's would've had similar views from Jim if they came from the 'working classes' or even the likes of Churchill who would have ticked all the boxes for Racist, sexist and homophobic because they were the majority view back in the day.

2021 is a different world. 
    I grew up in the 70s and found him offensive, unpleasant and unfunny back then. 
    I was born in 1955 and found him offensive from when I first heard him. There’s no excuse for the routines he did regardless of when they were made.
    I was also born in 1955 and I found him very funny back in the day.
    Couldn't get away with that type of humour now  of course but back then I did find him funny  
    People don't have a sense of humour these days, get (or they say they do) offended at the most pathetic little thing. Not sure why they don't just stay indoors and watch gardeners world of indoor bowls, but I am sure they would find some offence in that.
    Mmmmm...

BBC presenter criticised after claiming British gardening culture is 'racist'

James Wong, who has presented the BBC's Countryfile, claimed "UK gardening culture has racism baked into its DNA"

In a series of tweets, he said: "The idea of field of ‘wildflowers’ (they ironically meant non-native cornfield weeds) was ‘more in keeping with the area’ is not just historically f*****. "It also is predicated on often unconscious ideas of what and who does and does not ‘belong’ in the U.K.

"This is the kind of exhausting s*** you have to go through everyday if you work in U.K. horticulture. "Unless of course you internalise these unquestioned (often unconscious) ideas that are predicated in large part on a bedrock xenophobia and racism."

That sentence makes no f****** sense.
  • Options
    DOUCHER said:
    I am pretty sure we had a Jim Davidson thread on here circa 2008 that went on for weeks, very impressive that some thirteen years later we are doing it all over again with the same posters saying the same things!
    Could say the same about most threads on here and most message boards tbh - we ain’t had the ‘who do u hate more - palace of millwall’ for at least 6 months and it’s a bit of a concern 
    And the winner is….
  • Options
    I liked him when he wrote a match preview on here (live from the Big Brother house)
    Link?
  • Options
    This thread is suffering badly from having an insufficiently accurate title. It should be called Jim Davidson's Boat or something. All the stuff about whether you like/loathe him, his act, etc is just regurgitating ancient discussion to the nth degree.  (And is very boring.)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Link?
    About 7 years ago I used to write some of the match previews and I spoofed one against Huddersfield pretending to be Jim Davidson live from the Big Brother house. I thought it was very obvious it was a spoof, mainly because you don’t have contact with the outside world in the BB house, let alone pen out football match previews, but a couple of newspapers amazingly fell for it and published articles about it. 

I likes Eltham Johns stuff too
  • Options
    I dont know why there is so much dislike for the man. His humour is not my cup of tea but he is a human being & should be respected as such.

I thought his passion for boating was lovely & you can see how much it means to him. I was surprised watching that video because I had assumed he wasn't that well off (seeing the amount his paid out in alimony) but I would never begrudge someone earning their crust & then spending it on whatever floats their boat....😄. 

I could see it was moored at the Southampton Marina & brought back memories of me wandering around there one Sunday morning trying to shake off a hangover (from the night before celebrating a win down at Pompey) before setting off to play Meon Valley. I think it was our Championship winning season in 1999/2000. 
  • Options
    Think he’s made some money recently on this bit coin malarkey.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Some people dislike him, some dislike others, he dislikes some people etc... People are perfectly entitled to dislike people, I dislike some on here and I know they dislike me. It is usually about having different values. Sometimes it is a perception of values that may not be correct. 

I have been to a Jim Davidson show in Stevenage and it wasn't for me My wife bought tickets as she knew he was a Charlton fan and thought I would enjoy. I thought his act was too much around a chip he had on his shoulder, although I realised it was the audience that had that chip so he was playing to his audience. I was hoping for some disgusting jokes of which there were few, rather than be told how great Maggie Thatcher was so it was never going to be for me. 

At about the same time I went to a Ricky Gervais stand up gig and in all honesty the content was challenging. Extremely challenging and immoral. I enjoyed it, it was for me. A joke is funny to some and not to others but Gervais was making jokes about cancer - really pushing the boundaries. He was testing me. Davidson would never do that so why did I enjoy Gervais and not Davidson. Probably because I like Gervais and I believe him to be liberal minded. Basically I see the joke as being a joke and not his belief. With Davidson, I don't agree with his views so a joke that is far less offensive irritates me because I am not sure he doesn't believe it.

It comes down to personal taste and what your own values are. I don't think either side should preach to the other. I'm sure Davidson would say a joke is a joke and not to get upset about. But it is ridiculous to not appreciate why he is disliked by some. Some of the same people who can't understand why, can't understand why people find Gervais funny and may dislike him. Maybe we should embrace the fact that we are different and live and let live as long as nobody is being hurt.
  • Options
    Some people dislike him, some dislike others, he dislikes some people etc... People are perfectly entitled to dislike people, I dislike some on here and I know they dislike me. It is usually about having different values. Sometimes it is a perception of values that may not be correct. 

I have been to a Jim Davidson show in Stevenage and it wasn't for me My wife bought tickets as she knew he was a Charlton fan and thought I would enjoy. I thought his act was too much around a chip he had on his shoulder, although I realised it was the audience that had that chip so he was playing to his audience. I was hoping for some disgusting jokes of which there were few, rather than be told how great Maggie Thatcher was so it was never going to be for me. 

At about the same time I went to a Ricky Gervais stand up gig and in all honesty the content was challenging. Extremely challenging and immoral. I enjoyed it, it was for me. A joke is funny to some and not to others but Gervais was making jokes about cancer - really pushing the boundaries. He was testing me. Davidson would never do that so why did I enjoy Gervais and not Davidson. Probably because I like Gervais and I believe him to be liberal minded. Basically I see the joke as being a joke and not his belief. With Davidson, I don't agree with his views so a joke that is far less offensive irritates me because I am not sure he doesn't believe it.

It comes down to personal taste and what your own values are. I don't think either side should preach to the other. I'm sure Davidson would say a joke is a joke and not to get upset about. But it is ridiculous to not appreciate why he is disliked by some. Some of the same people who can't understand why, can't understand why people find Gervais funny and may dislike him. Maybe we should embrace the fact that we are different and live and let live as long as nobody is being hurt.
    But has Ricky Gervais got a fucking great big boat !
  • Options
    Whatever your view is of Jim, he has been a very good friend to  Charlton over the years. 
    Apart from the period when he supported Bournemouth 
    Not sure that he actually supported them, though as he had invested in them he would have wanted them to be successful  .........and even if he did, it was in no way to the extent he supported us Addicks.
    It was in the 80’s when we were paupers - strange that he didn’t put money into a club he apparently supports….

I don’t recall him being on the radar as a Charlton supporter until we made the Prem - certainly never saw him around during the Selhurst days
    If I remember rightly, he was living in the Bournemouth area at the time......which kind of makes a bit more sense.
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited July 2021
    Whatever your view is of Jim, he has been a very good friend to  Charlton over the years. 
    Apart from the period when he supported Bournemouth 
    Not sure that he actually supported them, though as he had invested in them he would have wanted them to be successful  .........and even if he did, it was in no way to the extent he supported us Addicks.
    It was in the 80’s when we were paupers - strange that he didn’t put money into a club he apparently supports….

I don’t recall him being on the radar as a Charlton supporter until we made the Prem - certainly never saw him around during the Selhurst days
    If I remember rightly, he was living in the Bournemouth area at the time......which kind of makes a bit more sense.
    There are old tv videos in the 80’s & 90’s when he said he supported “charlton nil” on stage etc 
  • Options

But has Ricky Gervais got a fucking great big boat !
    Good question. I think he has a rowing machine although he could afford one if he wanted.