Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lennie at the Museum

Comments

• Options
    Always thought Jimmy Hill joining the board was the start of good things. He seemed such a positive influence and did he have a big hand in forming The Junior Reds? 
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Always thought Jimmy Hill joining the board was the start of good things. He seemed such a positive influence and did he have a big hand in forming The Junior Reds? 
    Yeah but he did fuck all when we left The Valley but (quite rightly) fought tooth and nail to keep his beloved Fulham at Craven Cottage a couple of years later.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    He gave us dozens of VHS video tapes of the matches that were recorded for his use as manager, rather than for commercial sale. Once we get them converted to DVD, we will have an enormous archive of games from the eighties.
    I would love to see some of these. Some great times and was pretty drunk for many of them.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Well thats Lennie's loft cleared, I imagine donations to the museum will drop off when the Council dumps reopen.
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

Well thats Lennie's loft cleared, I imagine donations to the museum will drop off when the Council dumps reopen.
    You jest but you are almost certainly correct.

But that is one of many great positives of having a physical museum.

Stuff that might have just been dumped comes here.

A lot still gets dumped eventually but some is treasure and is saved.
  • Options
    Actually Lennie said that he was clearing out his garage.
  • Options
    Simonsen said:
    Yeah but he did fuck all when we left The Valley but (quite rightly) fought tooth and nail to keep his beloved Fulham at Craven Cottage a couple of years later.
    Was he ever Chairman at Charlton? 
  • Options
    Lenny is a real Charlton Legend.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Lennie was great on Charlton TV.
  • Options
    Great man and wonderful sense of humour. 
  • Options

I've never seen so many E120 tapes! Clearly the ideal size for recording a match, the standard E180 would be wasted
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Before a game up in smoggie land @rockspectacle and myself were drinking in The Zetland.
    Minding our own business a Boro fan struck up conversation with us, very soon he brought up Sir Lennie and said that the Boro fans loved him after he got them promoted to the Premier.
    He was insistent on buying us a drink as well!
  • Options

I've never seen so many E120 tapes! Clearly the ideal size for recording a match, the standard E180 would be wasted
    And an E60 for the Doncaster match called off at half-time.
  • Options
    Before a game up in smoggie land @rockspectacle and myself were drinking in The Zetland.
    Minding our own business a Boro fan struck up conversation with us, very soon he brought up Sir Lennie and said that the Boro fans loved him after he got them promoted to the Premier.
    He was insistent on buying us a drink as well!
    I bet he didn’t have to insist that much.
  • Options

He was never the most jolly of people was Sir Lennie.
  • Options
    Loved Lennie as our manager, named one of our cats Lennie as a result.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There was such turmoil going on at the time, especially when @Airman Brown got the Back to the Valley campaign going that Lennie probably didn’t get the recognition he deserved.

We had no cash and no ground and yet he got us promoted back to the top flight for the first time in thirty odd years and kept us there for four years!

More than that just look at the class players he signed or brought through….

Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Minto, Shirtliff, Miller, Lee, Peake, Walsh, Bennett, Mortimer, Melrose, Watson, Williams, Pitcher, Crooks - and he hardly spent more than £100,000 on any of them!

To be honest, I feel that he also deserves more recognition from the club for what he did - he arguably kept us alive during that period - perhaps the Lennie Lawrence Stand may be in order for the West Stand or maybe the Lennie Lawrence Covered End?
    Fantastic post.

Sir Lennie laid the foundations for the riches that followed.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

One of our Volunteers has all the kit and will be picking up the tapes on Tuesday 6th (next time we're open) to digitise them.

Frees up space in the Museum and makes them accessible to more people.

Not sure there's much of a market for 1980s Charlton games but we'll see if we can make them available.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

One of our Volunteers has all the kit and will be picking up the tapes on Tuesday 6th (next time we're open) to digitise them.

Not sure there's much of a market for 1980s Charlton games but we'll see if we can make them available.
    I would definitely be interested. Be hilarious if there was a copy of Brighton away in 1983.....
  • Options
    There was such turmoil going on at the time, especially when @Airman Brown got the Back to the Valley campaign going that Lennie probably didn’t get the recognition he deserved.

We had no cash and no ground and yet he got us promoted back to the top flight for the first time in thirty odd years and kept us there for four years!

Bolder, Humphrey, Reid, Minto, Shirtliff, Miller, Lee, Peake, Walsh, Bennett, Mortimer, Melrose, Watson, Williams, Pitcher, Crooks - and he hardly spent more than £100,000 on any of them!

To be honest, I feel that he also deserves more recognition from the club for what he did - he arguably kept us alive during that period - perhaps the Lennie Lawrence Stand may be in order for the West Stand or maybe the Lennie Lawrence Covered End?
    I'm not sure he deserves a whole stand - we don't have many to play with! - but he certainly deserves something. Maybe the family section or the NW quadrant, or at least a lounge like Keith Peacock has
  • Options

To be fair to Lennie , this picture was taken after I'd offered him one of Mick Ev's dodgy watches  ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Fumbluff said:

Worthwhile resource but the camera work and picture quality will be somewhat basic, akin to the “last game” video we released years ago, even by the standards of iFollow etc.
  • Options

To be fair to Lennie , this picture was taken after I'd offered him one of Mick Ev's dodgy watches  ;)
    More probably an hour in your company :smile:
  • Options

How about adding Steve Thompson to that list?
  • Options

How about adding Steve Thompson to that list?
    And taking Pitcher of it.
    Otherwise great post.