Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lennie at the Museum

Comments

• Options
    I'd love to see Simonsen's first game v Middlesbrough 13.11.82 again. It was my first ever home game.

Somebody should watch the QPR home game 29.12.82, count the number of times we were off-side and start a spread (it was possibly upwards of 30) 
  • Options
    14/5/83 was Bolton 4-1 not Blackburn.
  • Options
    @Henry Irving might make more sense to put them on the museum website, and then post links on here.
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    @Henry Irving might make more sense to put them on the museum website, and then post links on here.
    Good idea.

Now I just need someone to put them on the museum website!
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

One of our Volunteers has all the kit and will be picking up the tapes on Tuesday 6th (next time we're open) to digitise them.

Frees up space in the Museum and makes them accessible to more people.

Not sure there's much of a market for 1980s Charlton games but we'll see if we can make them available.
    Worthwhile resource but the camera work and picture quality will be somewhat basic, akin to the “last game” video we released years ago, even by the standards of iFollow etc.
    I wonder how many of those old Finches videos are still out there ?
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    aliwibble said:
    Good idea.

Now I just need someone to put them on the museum website!
    Does the Museum have a youtube account? You could upload them there for the moment, and then embed them into the site later.
    ETA Or maybe Vimeo, as they tend to be a bit less vulnerable to copyright takedowns.
  • Options
    We've now started to upload Lennie's tapes on our new museum YouTube channel..

Watch, subscribe and let us know what you think 

https://t.co/vlBJYNwyqP
  • Options
    They look great, well done… have only watched a few minutes and the quality is questionable but what fanastic historical pieces.
  • Options
    They look great, well done… have only watched a few minutes and the quality is questionable but what fanastic historical pieces.
    Wait till you see some of the Finches videos,  almost  unwatchable, but as you say great history. 

Charlton 4 - 1 Bolton coming soon
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Ben, this is brilliant mate, Cant wait to see some of these games (especially the 2 0 Luton league cup game). 
  • Options
    Ben, this is brilliant mate, Cant wait to see some of these games (especially the 2 0 Luton league cup game). 
    Not me, one of our volunteers  did all the hard work.
  • Options
    When you come to the thumping by Leicester - look out for the fourth Leicester goal which I think was a fantastic volley past Nicky Johns by Gary Lineker. I don’t usually remember opposition goals but this one was astounding- wonder what it looks like now
  • Options
    Great work by all involved.👍
  • Options
    Have watched a couple of em last night, you have to say the no back pass rule completely changed football. The football seems very slow and unstructured compared to now (yeah). Thanks for putting them up.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Great work - really looking forward to Watford in the FA Cup 1984. I know we lost but its the only time I ever stood on the East Terrace and the last "decent" crowd to stand on it before it closed...
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Arkwright said:
    When you come to the thumping by Leicester - look out for the fourth Leicester goal which I think was a fantastic volley past Nicky Johns by Gary Lineker. I don’t usually remember opposition goals but this one was astounding- wonder what it looks like now
    I wonder if Lineker himself has seen that goal back?
  • Options
    I think it is highly unlikely that Lineker has as I don't think these early videos were issued for public viewing. It's only thanks to Lennie appreciating of how important they might be that he saved them from the skip.
  • Options
    Have watched a couple of em last night, you have to say the no back pass rule completely changed football. The football seems very slow and unstructured compared to now (yeah). Thanks for putting them up.
    The back pass rule is probably the best thing to happen to football in 100 years, sped the game up, made the last 5 minutes of games meaningful, and more attacking
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    The back pass rule is probably the best thing to happen to football in 100 years, sped the game up, made the last 5 minutes of games meaningful, and more attacking
    Liverpool were the masters of passing between Grobbelar (or how ever it is spelt) and Hansen - it was so boring. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Rothko said:
    Liverpool were the masters of passing between Grobbelar (or how ever it is spelt) and Hansen - it was so boring. 
    Took them 30 year to win another league after its introduction 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Took them 30 year to win another league after its introduction 
    I suspect Sir Alex was a bigger factor than the back pass rule  ;)
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Wow . What a nostalgia trip.

Although I saw two of my favourite players from my childhood Richie Bowman and Dick Tydeman play together for the Gills against Millwall when they won at the Den I hadn't remembered that they played together for us in the Colin Powell Testimonial.

Future Addicks Garth Crooks and Paul Miller feature for Spurs. Neither ever played for us at the Valley  
  • Options
    Very enjoyable to watch these old videos. Allan Simonsen was even smaller than I remember.
  • Options
    edited January 2022
    Outstanding having these videos available. Got so many to watch from my first months of watching Charlton. 

Just started to watch the QPR 1-3...my 2nd ever Valley game. I will try to count the offsides (my memory is of 20+ but we will see). Remember Micklewhite scoring with an overhead kick of sorts and seem to remember Tony Sealy drilling one in. Steve White's goal was a far post volley from a Simonsen cross i think.

Hilarious to hear Rene and Renato playing during the warm-up! 

I don't even have to look the attendance up....13,306 (but now I'm off to check!!) 
  • Options
    And yet now, despite the lack of back-passes, we have to watch continuous passing across the back four, untold stoppages for slight nudges, all the pathetic rolling about, goalies laying down on top of every ball they catch and all that VAR crap (at the higher level). Give me 80s football any day of the week. 
  • Options
    Check out the 81/82 Charlton v Cambridge match. Match was crap 0-0 but that freezing cold mascot at the beginning is me :smiley:
  • Options
    My memory of the QPR game is that they were top of the league at the time but Venables did use the offside trap very effectively- so much so that I can still see the linesman’s flag going up every time the ball crossed into their half - very well drilled back four!
  • Options
    I have the following VHS tapes not on Lennie's list that I'm very happy to donate to museum, and what a pair of crackers they are too!

12.3.83 v Orient 5-2
    5.3.83 v Chelsea 5-2

I think they came from Finch's Sports of Forest Hill.

By all means PM me to arrange handover.
  • Options
    Great work - really looking forward to Watford in the FA Cup 1984. I know we lost but its the only time I ever stood on the East Terrace and the last "decent" crowd to stand on it before it closed...
    My first game and I was in the East terrace. It seemed so big. A lesson I learned that day was that you shouldn’t look away as you didn’t get replays of goals like on the tv. 
    I remember my Dad being impressed at the attendance. Watford lost in the final to Everton that year. 

Fantastic effort from all involved. I thought I would never see somebody these games from my childhood. Thank you.