Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Leaving aside the legal ramifications……one has to say that George may well live to regret his decision to have signed anything whatsoever.
    True…he couldn’t have foreseen the upturn in our form/position and the way things are ‘possibly’ shaping up for next season.
    I know of a few guys who are standing by to put a few quid on us….I think George may well have shot himself in the foot……I also think his agent must be held responsible to some extent.

I’m sure he has been offered a decent wage, and an opportunity to play European football, but I’m going to presume his agent advised him he has no chance of getting anything half decent in the UK if he just let his contract run down.

I actually think yesterday was one of his better performances for us. He was not trying to do everything, which for me - although fans seem to appreciate it - has often been his and the teams downfall.
  • Options
    Unless he was being unreasonable in his worth when he was talking with the club about a new contract I feel a bit sorry for him as his pre-contract preceded NJ and the improvement in club prospects. He may be regretting the Hungary thing now and his value on the pitch has gone down a bit as we have other decent match-day performances now.
    I imagine the Hungary deal includes some kind of free agent fee and if he does end up back with us I can't see the club paying 2 fees, one to Hungary and one to GD.
  • Options
    If the contract is legally binding I think George is going to be gutted with himself for signing it. He has dragged this club through one of our worst footballing periods and is now leaving just as we seem to be entering a real new era of positivity under Nathan Jones. 
    Sadly it’s all his own fault, let his emotions get the better of him. 
    He let his agent get the better of him. A decent agent had enough of a story to work with to get Dobson a better deal with a better English club ( “better”  from the POV of the state of Charlton as the window opened). I wouldn’t be surprised at all to learn that there’s a Hungarian drink in it for this agent, and it isn’t Unicum. See Josh Maya to Bordeaux and his agent for reference. 
    Let’s say you’re right about his agent, who he employs, getting the better of him, that still makes it absolutely 100% his fault. 

No one forced him to sign a thing, that was on him, if he did so on the back of bad advise, that’s still absolutely his fault.
  • Options
    It also needs to be factored in that although NJ wanted to keep Dobson for a relegation scrap he might not want to keep him next season where we should be much more on the front foot.
    Personally I would keep but we don't know the plans moving forward for GD and indeed the rest of the existing squad.

😤
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    The other side of the metaphorical coin is that he felt he was not offered enough relative to his value to the team. However as we have seen, it does seem as though while he very much does have a place in the side he's not the automatic first choice he formerly was - his bargaining position re: the wage he (or his agent) is pushing for has been weakened somewhat.

Not that I want him gone. But it's gone from "disaster if he leaves" to "a shame if he leaves" IMO.
    I think it has been strengthened if Jones really wants him.
  • Options
    edited March 11
    Charlton misnomer that George and Conor can't start in same team.

Dobson and Coventry can play together;
    especially when both Small and Watson spent as much time forward as they did against Cheltenham when if Alfie was as sharp as against Carlisle, we are 5 up at HT.
    Plus Thierry Small's missed header.

It would be ironic if because Nathan wants George available for selection next season in the 18 that Dobbo is given a pay rise and Cafc have to pay a fee to buy out the pre contract.

Probably won't happen but a while omelette on the face of Andy Scott if that comes to fruition.
  • Options
    I reckon he'll be here next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    As with most things, I trust Rich Cawley has the closest information, and he says he's going.
  • Options
    He’s definitely leaving. Still not sure why he signed the pre-contract, unless it was a very good financial offer then he’d have been better off waiting to see all the offers on the table in the summer 
  • Options
    NabySarr said:
    He’s definitely leaving. Still not sure why he signed the pre-contract, unless it was a very good financial offer then he’d have been better off waiting to see all the offers on the table in the summer 
    I think given there clearly wasn't Championship interest in January he figured it was the best offer he could get, can't blame him really
  • Options
    Can’t see him here next season. He’s signed a pre contract with the Hungarians and it will cost either him or Charlton money just to release him from it. Don’t see CAFC paying effectively a fee for him plus increasing his wages beyond our best offer. 
  • Options
    A series of fuck up throughout negotiations with Dobbo, which has equated to him signing a pre contract with a team nobody had heard of. Shame but we move on. 
  • Options
    Personally I think he’ll enjoy an experience that few people get to have and get well paid for it. Will be an adventure for him for a couple of years. Good luck to him.
  • Options
    We’ll loan him back in Jan and re-sign him permanently next summer. 
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    We’ll loan him back in Jan and re-sign him permanently next summer. 
    That wouldn’t surprise me.
  • Options
    You know what, he was really good on Saturday and looked well up to it. I always said he's been a victim of being surrounded by crap players and crap managers, with a proper manager and a genuine quality centre mid next to him like Coventry, coupled with some dependable defenders, he's had to do way less of those hero tackles and we are getting to see how good he is on the ball and his passing range. 

A damn bloody shame. Coventry, Dobson and a more attacking minded mid ahead of them, and I am so sure that would be one of the best midfields in this league. 

Part of me doesn't even want him to play as I think we are safe now and it's just teasing what could have been next season. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:
    I think given there clearly wasn't Championship interest in January he figured it was the best offer he could get, can't blame him really
    It is interesting though how little speculation there was about Dobson. Club captain of a L1 side, a good age, 6 months left on his contract so a small fee needed, yet where was the Championship interest from the likes of QPR, Wednesday, Huddersfield etc

It does seem that the wider English football world doesn't rate him especially.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

It is interesting though how little speculation there was about Dobson. Club captain of a L1 side, a good age, 6 months left on his contract so a small fee needed, yet where was the Championship interest from the likes of QPR, Wednesday, Huddersfield etc

Perhaps that is a question that his agent should be asked.

• Options
    fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:

It makes me question his agent too, surely he should have been touting him around
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:

It makes me question his agent too, surely he should have been touting him around
    I’m sure he did. Would appear that no clubs offered George what he considers his worth, including Charlton. 
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:

Or they would have been interested on a free, but couldn't do much about that in January.  
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    NabySarr said:

Or they would have been interested on a free, but couldn't do much about that in January.  
    Teams fighting relegation from the Championship need players now, not in the summer when they could be in L1.

The fee for Dobson would have been peanuts anyway for most Championship sides.
  • Options
    Jones, appointed at that time, made it clear that he would like to continue working with Dobson beyond this season. But the South London Press has been told that the terms of the Fehervar move are binding. If so, the only way Dobson would be able to be at Charlton next season would seem to be if the League One club negotiated a transfer fee

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/sport/charlton-athletic-boss-nathan-jones-george-dobson-has-been-brilliant-since-ive-been-here/