Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    RedRobin said:
    Thinking back to the Powell title team, Hollands worked hard in midfield, but you wouldn't call him someone just there to be a defensive shield. 
    Danny popped up with goals as did Dale Stephens, we had goals all over the pitch.
    My point being that we didn't have a pure defensive midfielder in the side. In modern terms, both Hollands and Stephens were No 8s, box to box players, rather than one sitting and being a defensive shield.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    Thinking back to the Powell title team, Hollands worked hard in midfield, but you wouldn't call him someone just there to be a defensive shield. 
    Danny popped up with goals as did Dale Stephens, we had goals all over the pitch.
    My point being that we didn't have a pure defensive midfielder in the side. In modern terms, both Hollands and Stephens were No 8s, box to box players, rather than one sitting and being a defensive shield.
    We did some games when Hughes played, remember them actually being some of our best games (I think!).
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    We did some games when Hughes played, remember them actually being some of our best games (I think!).
    A few games yes, or as a sub, but it was never a regular thing to start with a pure defensive midfielder. 
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    And Darrell Russell when he was on loan.
  • Options
    edited March 22
    .I wouldn't pay 6 figures for Dobson. But we didn't need to us he was already with us. I would have kept him. For all Coventry's potential it is still Dobson making the tackles AND doing a lot of the passing to create chances. He will be a very big loss.
  • Options
    RedRobin said:
    And Darrell Russell when he was on loan.
    To the 'Players you forgot played for Charlton thread!
  • Options
    edited March 22
    If no other Champ/L1 club was prepared to pay us six figures for him in January, makes me think that we’d be making a mistake by paying over the odds to keep him.
    Not many teams are going to pay six figures on a holding midfielder older than 25. However that’s going nothing to do with his ability.
    Not made any comment on his ability in my post. If not many teams will pay six figures on a holding midfielder older than 25, do you disagree that it might be a mistake for us to do exactly that?
    I wouldn't pay 6 figures for Dobson. But we didn't need to us he was already with us. I would have kept him. For all Coventry's potential it is still Dobson making the tackles AND doing a lot of the passing to create chances.  He will be a very big loss.
    Do you have the stats to back that comment up over the last 10 games? I just had a quick look on whoscored and from what I have seen that really does not seem to be the case - or at the very least it appears to fluctuate, and our midfield is working decently as a unit.

Dobson will be a very big loss from an emotional connection to fans perspective, but he is very much replaceable from an ability perspective. The majority thought CBT would be a very big loss, yet he effectively was by a 19 year old who spent all season as an unused sub for St Mirren - all whilst CBT is now an unused sub for Derby. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Dobbo's game does seem to have changed under Jones and he is becoming more of an all round midfielder, rather than just a spoiler.
    He is playing more probing forward balls, and is getting up to join the attack far more regularly.
    I think Jones could be a big influence on him in improving his game, and it's a real shame that it appears that will soon be ending.
  • Options
  • Options
    Also I just wanted to mention, for those who think for whatever reason he might end up staying - I think it’s quite telling that he is in none of the promotional material for next years season tickets. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    As I've said many a time, it's not Charlton that have fucked this up entirely, Dobson has to take some blame for actually agreeing to sign for them in February, especially if he doesn't actually really want to go there

Sorry but this sort of comment makes me laugh.  You have no clue what, if anything, we offered as terms to renew, you have no club what other offers Dobbo had, you have no club what the Hungarian team have offered him. But Dobbo has to take some blame for fucking up and signing in Feb. Righto.  

Who says he wants to stay with us now? Who says he has any regrets? Certainly not the article quoted.
    And you have no clue how I feel about the situation so get back in your box.

I don't think he's worth throwing a shed lot of money at and I couldn't care less if he actually wants to go to Hungary and has regrets or not. I'm merely summarising that IF the club want him to stay and IF he doesn't actually want to go, the people blaming the club 100% doesn't make any sense
  • Options
    Also I just wanted to mention, for those who think for whatever reason he might end up staying - I think it’s quite telling that he is in none of the promotional material for next years season tickets. 
    Yeah I noticed that . Still holding out hope that something can be done though . 
  • Options
    One very interesting line from Jones there which alludes to what a lot of us have been saying - 'There are a lot of things that people think he is good at that I want to actually take out of his game'. I would bet anything that that's his tendency to hare around after the ball regardless of where he should be and his usual decision to react to danger rather than read and predict it before it arrives. Dobson is technically better than he's given credit for but the crunching tackles and big-hearted effort that gets him applause is beneath a player like him if he and the team want to progress higher up the table. Better positioning and reading of the game would make Dobson ready to be a Championship player without too much worry
    Well exactly, fans see Dobson chasing across towards the full back position and often missing a big sliding challenge yet praise his endeavour and passion and believe that he 'is the only one doing anything in midfield'. Yet fail to realise the reason we were often exposed and overrun in the midfield was because of that lack of positional discipline meaning there would be gaps to exploit everywhere.

In my opinion the more refined Dobson of the last couple of games has been very good, and I hope he continues to play and develop that way.
    A more refined Dobson or does the presence of someone like Coventry, who is covering areas of the pitch that Dobson used to have to because players like Fraser would be simply AWOL, mean Dobson doesn't have to "hare around" trying to cover too much of the pitch himself?
    It was never really Fraser’s job to play the position Coventry is though. Dobson has been playing Dobson’s position, as the DM, almost exclusively. 

Whether we like it or not the club have clearly identified that position (I’m not saying Dobson) as an issue - which is why we tried to bring in McGrandles, and Taylor (who were always injured) and then Coventry. 
    It was under MA when he played Dobson and Fraser as two holding CMs in a 4-2-3-1.
  • Options
    If no other Champ/L1 club was prepared to pay us six figures for him in January, makes me think that we’d be making a mistake by paying over the odds to keep him.

Why would anyone pay a six figure fee in January when he's out of contract in the summer ?

At the same time what fucking idiot would try & sell the heartbeat of the team when we were in a relegation dogfight, yes step forward fuckwit andy scott. scott & appleton, a relegation dream team.  
    This is the thing that worries me the most about the current board. Whilst things seem on the up, the fact this was allowed to happen and no one put a stop to it is ludicrous. Thankfully, it sound like Jones is calling the shots re transfers now and it took him all of a minute in the job to realise how stupid it was and put a stop to him going in Feb, although not much he can do about the pre contract agreement for summer.
  • Options
    edited March 22
    Scoham said:
    One very interesting line from Jones there which alludes to what a lot of us have been saying - 'There are a lot of things that people think he is good at that I want to actually take out of his game'. I would bet anything that that's his tendency to hare around after the ball regardless of where he should be and his usual decision to react to danger rather than read and predict it before it arrives. Dobson is technically better than he's given credit for but the crunching tackles and big-hearted effort that gets him applause is beneath a player like him if he and the team want to progress higher up the table. Better positioning and reading of the game would make Dobson ready to be a Championship player without too much worry
    Well exactly, fans see Dobson chasing across towards the full back position and often missing a big sliding challenge yet praise his endeavour and passion and believe that he 'is the only one doing anything in midfield'. Yet fail to realise the reason we were often exposed and overrun in the midfield was because of that lack of positional discipline meaning there would be gaps to exploit everywhere.

In my opinion the more refined Dobson of the last couple of games has been very good, and I hope he continues to play and develop that way.
    A more refined Dobson or does the presence of someone like Coventry, who is covering areas of the pitch that Dobson used to have to because players like Fraser would be simply AWOL, mean Dobson doesn't have to "hare around" trying to cover too much of the pitch himself?
    It was never really Fraser’s job to play the position Coventry is though. Dobson has been playing Dobson’s position, as the DM, almost exclusively. 

Whether we like it or not the club have clearly identified that position (I’m not saying Dobson) as an issue - which is why we tried to bring in McGrandles, and Taylor (who were always injured) and then Coventry. 
    It was under MA when he played Dobson and Fraser as two holding CMs in a 4-2-3-1.
    Not really. Firstly we barely played any games with that formation because Fraser and Dobson couldn't play as the CM's and we didn't have a number 10, the depth in the wing positions and it meant May was either out of position or up top on his own - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/charlton-athletic/vereinsspielplan/verein/358/saison_id/2023/heim_gast//plus/1

And more importantly the role and requirements of a double pivot is much more different that of a single pivot. If Fraser was playing as the single pivot in a 4-3-3 then fine, but he has not so it is not a valid criticism. 
  • Options
    Dobson was free to sign or reject the terms we offered, that's his prerogative and without knowing what those terms actually were maybe he was right to do so at that time.

However it was his decision to THEN sign the pre-contract in Hungary. The door was left open to allow him to leave but he's the one who stepped through it - and closed it behind him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Because we're still, apparently, having this discussion:

https://www.blakemorgan.co.uk/the-enforceability-of-pre-contracts-in-football/
  • Options
    Do not forget those who say that Dobson made the choice to go, it was said that Scott did not fancy him and offered him a new contract less than he was on and certainly less than other players. If this was true, would anyone on here sign a new contract with their employer under those circumstances?
  • Options
    edited March 22
    ross1 said:
    Do not forget those who say that Dobson made the choice to go, it was said that Scott did not fancy him and offered him a new contract less than he was on and certainly less than other players. If this was true, would anyone on here sign a new contract with their employer under those circumstances?
    I've not heard anyone say that.
    The consensus was that he was offered a new improved contract, but the offer was at "average" level rather than "elite" level, thus being below what some of the higher earners were on.
    Tenai Watson was cited as on a higher wage and someone said they had the same agent, so the agent would know. 
  • Options
    ross1 said:
    Nobody is disputing his right to reject the contract offered by Charlton.

It's his decision to accept the Hungarian offer which is the confusing thing, rather than waiting for the summer, or using the last few months of the season to find another club. 

Is it that confusing?  He has a young family and tackles hard.  It is a risk leaving it to the summer as you can get injured and footy is a short career.  Hungry has a flat tax rate of 15% from what I have read on here so net pay is likely to outstrip UK offers and cost of living is low there too.  Go for 4 years set yourself up financially and head back to the UK at the end if you decide it is not for you.
  • Options
    edited March 22
    I suspect the club prior to Jones has not done enough to keep him. We of course don't know the quality of the contract he was offered but we know a Hungarian club offered him something better and Hungary has not got a great league. We also know he has recently had a little girl and his decisions will have been made for what he thinks his best for his family. 

As for Jones' comments, I am not so sure it is about the tackles and energy but more other aspects of his defending and about holding positions. I think it is what good managers do, improve players specifically. I don't think Jones wants Dobbo to go and the fact he stopped the move in January speaks volumes.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

It's his decision to accept the Hungarian offer which is the confusing thing, rather than waiting for the summer, or using the last few months of the season to find another club. 

Is it that confusing?  He has a young family and tackles hard.  It is a risk leaving it to the summer as you can get injured and footy is a short career.  Hungry has a flat tax rate of 15% from what I have read on here so net pay is likely to outstrip UK offers and cost of living is low there too.  Go for 4 years set yourself up financially and head back to the UK at the end if you decide it is not for you.
    Young family, yet move to a country where you don’t speak the language and is away from your support network?

That’s a massive risk for 4 years. If it was so easy I expect you would see a lot more English footballers doing it, but you don’t, there’s barely any.
  • Options
    Even if the Hungary move falls through that wouldn’t necessarily mean he’d stay with us. Why would you include any players who are out of contract in the summer? Does Thomas feature? Or Hector? Or Campbell? Etc.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

He's not a Chuks, someone with a terrible injury record and frail body. Footballers go out of contract, that's normal. Indeed many footballers regularly  WANT to be out of contract, so that each time they can negotiate a new signing on fee.

Last summer both Morgan and Clare left us at the end of their contracts, and both got decent contracts in L1
  • Options
    LargeAddick said:
    Even if the Hungary move falls through that wouldn’t necessarily mean he’d stay with us. Why would you include any players who are out of contract in the summer? Does Thomas feature? Or Hector? Or Campbell? Etc.
    Good point. Though I just can’t help but feel a crunching Dobson tackle would have been great in that marketing video they released 🥲.