Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Macronate said:
    It's 1,108.4 miles from London to Hungary which equates to a 19hr 51min drive or a two and a half hour flight.

As a club, we should stop taking calls and block any emails from Hungary.

If they send over a representative on a plane, all senior management and GD should hide.

Granted, we may be perceived as being childish but we need to play hardball with Fehevar here.
    I know your post is jokey but ultimately we can't do much as a club now. Dobson has signed the contract now when he becomes a free agent. 

Personally I feel although it's embarassing, if we have to pay to keep him, we should do. If we can get an adequate replacement for cheaper then sure, do it, but if we have to pay a small fee to keep him then I would. It's ludicrous to buy a player you already had, but getting him for a small fee is better than going out and buying someone for 500k when you know what you're getting with Dobbo. 
    Can't be any more embarrassing than knowing Aneke was made of glass and couldn't start matches, but still deciding to buy him back on a 3 year deal just six months after he walked out on a free.
    Definitely not, although with Aneke it does seem he just went for a better offer, with Dobson the club has caused the issue. I wouldn't have minded buying Aneke back even though he went for free because of the circumstances, obviously the fact he can't play is the issue. 
  • Options
    He’s been a good player, but we should not be buying him out of a pre contract. It’s poor business and doesn't make sense. It will also look embarrassing to the club (especially those who made the decision). Bad its come to this as I think he’d do a job for us next year but it’s not something we should pursue 
    With respect, nonsense.

Have you seen his performance in the last 3 games? He's been outstanding. 

Suppose it costs £200k or £300k to buy him out of his contract. I just don't see where we would get a similar player for that cost.

Yes it will be embarrassing.  And some will have a good laugh. Let them - we will have the final laugh when George goes up to pick up the league winners cup!
    So what makes you think we’d get him for less than a ‘similar’ type of player? His price is dictated by the market and his club…

the business behind it makes a non viable move. 
    IF Dobson wants to stay and doesn't want to move to Hungary, I think we could get him reasonably cheap. The Hungarian club will make a bit of money for nothing and are unlikely to stand in his way. 
  • Options
    He’s been a good player, but we should not be buying him out of a pre contract. It’s poor business and doesn't make sense. It will also look embarrassing to the club (especially those who made the decision). Bad its come to this as I think he’d do a job for us next year but it’s not something we should pursue 
    With respect, nonsense.

Suppose it costs £200k or £300k to buy him out of his contract. I just don't see where we would get a similar player for that cost.

Yes it will be embarrassing.  And some will have a good laugh. Let them - we will have the final laugh when George goes up to pick up the league winners cup!
    So what makes you think we’d get him for less than a ‘similar’ type of player? His price is dictated by the market and his club…

IF Dobson wants to stay and doesn't want to move to Hungary, I think we could get him reasonably cheap. The Hungarian club will make a bit of money for nothing and are unlikely to stand in his way. 
    There’s no way to know this though. 

The man has signed a contract knowing where it is and for who. He wasn’t forced to sign for them but has. 

We have no right to believe that this club would roll over and just let him leave for less than his market value. 

• Options
    He’s looking like a better player now that it’s not his job to be as positionally aware as he had to be at the base of the midfield. He’s free to go charging around with the security of Coventry’s presence backing him up.

Yes he’s a decent player, better with the ball at his feet than many give credit, but I still think we can do better for similar or cheaper cost than it’ll be to buy out the contract he’s agreed elsewhere.

Whether we will do better is yet to be determined.

I think that is a pretty fair and balanced assessment Callum. Agree on this.
  • Options
    He’s looking like a better player now that it’s not his job to be as positionally aware as he had to be at the base of the midfield. He’s free to go charging around with the security of Coventry’s presence backing him up.

Yes he’s a decent player, better with the ball at his feet than many give credit, but I still think we can do better for similar or cheaper cost than it’ll be to buy out the contract he’s agreed elsewhere.

Thing is, how often do we actually find better for similar or cheaper cost? Many were certain we could find better than Ben Purrington at LB and we ended up without a proper LB for basically the whole next season.

I'd rather keep the club captain with a proven track record who works his socks off for the club, whose improved since he joined, and continues to improve under NJ myself. Though whether that is legally or financially viable is probably the bigger question for the club. 
    🤷‍♂️ we have no way of knowing for sure, have to trust that talk of improvements in the recruitment process are going to pay dividends. I certainly liked the vast majority of our January business…
  • Options

Would agree with that, but I also have very little trust in our recruitment team to do better, so if Dobsons not too pricey then maybe it is worth trying to do a deal. 

Won’t happen though, Jones might kick up a little fuss but Scott would probably rather us go big and buy a new player that Jones wants to keep him happy rather than go back for Dobson with his tail between his legs. I’m pretty certain that Dobson will be off to Hungary 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    With respect, nonsense.

There’s no way to know this though. 

The man has signed a contract knowing where it is and for who. He wasn’t forced to sign for them but has. 

We have no right to believe that this club would roll over and just let him leave for less than his market value. 

No of course we don't, but does a club really want a player who doesn't want to play for them? All of this is hypothetical of course but Jones is making statements so I don't think it's a done deal he's in Hungary next season. 
  • Options

Thing is, how often do we actually find better for similar or cheaper cost? Many were certain we could find better than Ben Purrington at LB and we ended up without a proper LB for basically the whole next season.

I'd rather keep the club captain with a proven track record who works his socks off for the club, whose improved since he joined, and continues to improve under NJ myself. Though whether that is legally or financially viable is probably the bigger question for the club. 
    People keep using this Purrington example but I don't think it's a good one. I was possibly Purrington's biggest fan on here and even I accepted it was the right time to let him go. He was out of contract and securing him to a new one would have meant a payrise and likely assurances about his playing time. He didn't fit into how Garner wanted to play and Sessegnon who we brought in instead was streets ahead of him. The big problem there was that Sessegnon had fitness issues and we didn't sign a reserve left back but that didn't mean that Purrington should have been kept, it meant that the owner had lost interest in providing us with a full squad and it wouldn't have made any difference if we'd kept him or not because we were never going to succeed in those circumstances. After a bad start this ownership looks like it's starting to recognise the importance of bringing in good players. Coventry, REG, Gillesphey, Ramsay and Small are all very good signings that suit how we want to play. Ladapo was in theory but hasn't shown anything. That's not to say it wouldn't be good to keep Dobson but my confidence in us bringing in a good player who suits what Jones wants is a hell of a lot higher than it has been in the past few years
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

Would agree with that, but I also have very little trust in our recruitment team to do better, so if Dobsons not too pricey then maybe it is worth trying to do a deal. 

Won’t happen though, Jones might kick up a little fuss but Scott would probably rather us go big and buy a new player that Jones wants to keep him happy rather than go back for Dobson with his tail between his legs. I’m pretty certain that Dobson will be off to Hungary 
    After Jones coming in I would hope he has more clout than Scott in recruitment.
  • Options
    With respect, nonsense.

That was the cost for Dobson with half year left from his contract, so you can compare with that with a 3 year long contract.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Astounded if these so called "pre"-contracts don't have a get out clause. Things change so quickly in football

It is binding for both party, if Dobbo will be injured at his last game, and he will be out for example half year, we must also pay his salary.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Astounded if these so called "pre"-contracts don't have a get out clause. Things change so quickly in football

It is binding for both party, if Dobbo will be injured at his last game, and he will be out for example half year, we must also pay his salary.
    All stand up…Never say never say  never…👍
  • Options
    It would be interesting to play one match with Dobbo on the bench for the 1st half and then replace Coventry for the 2nd half, use the other midfield position for an attacking player - Bakinson, TC, ???
    You can check this at the following two matches, because he recived the 10th yellow cards, so possibly the yesterday's match was his last game at The Valley.

How many Forints would you like to bet he is still a Charlton player next season? :)
    He  made a decision, and signed for Videoton. Now the situation is clear, Charlton  avoid the relegation. 11 points ahead from 21th place only 3-4 games left. Easy.

We are at the third place 6 point lead from 4th place, but techincaly 7 point because of the number of the wins. 6 games left.

Ferencvaros, and paks are at the semifinal at the cup, so the fourth place will be also european spot.

At this week we will play against the second place team, we can able to reduce the deistance to only one point. 

Ferencvaros will be champion, and there is a chance for a double, so the second place team will go to the Europe league instead of conference league. (double chance to reach the group stage)
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

I talked with a guy from the club, who know the contract, he told me it is binding.

The contract rules clear, and the contract valid for hungarian, and also uefa law. That is why binding.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:

I talked with a guy from the club, who know the contract, he told me it is binding.

The contract rules clear, and the contract valid for hungarian, and also uefa law. That is why binding.

There's always a way out of everything, never say never!!😉
  • Options
    NabySarr said:

After Jones coming in I would hope he has more clout than Scott in recruitment.

I think Jones will be at the very least on an equal footing to Scott regarding transfers. I also think Jones has the support, authority and of course wherewithal to not play players foisted on him. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

Thank you for clearing that up.

I prefer facts to wishful thinking.

I think he will be a loss to our club but I'm confident he can be replaced as long as Jones has a say in who it will be.
  • Options
    edited April 10
    Major said:
    Gribbo said:

Thank you for clearing that up.

I prefer facts to wishful thinking.

I think he will be a loss to our club but I'm confident he can be replaced as long as Jones has a say in who it will be.

Ah yes, facts, now if only we had some 🤔!!
  • Options
    It would be interesting to play one match with Dobbo on the bench for the 1st half and then replace Coventry for the 2nd half, use the other midfield position for an attacking player - Bakinson, TC, ???
    You can check this at the following two matches, because he recived the 10th yellow cards, so possibly the yesterday's match was his last game at The Valley.

How many Forints would you like to bet he is still a Charlton player next season? :)
    He  made a decision, and signed for Videoton. Now the situation is clear, Charlton  avoid the relegation. 11 points ahead from 21th place only 3-4 games left. Easy.

We are at the third place 6 point lead from 4th place, but techincaly 7 point because of the number of the wins. 6 games left.

Ferencvaros, and paks are at the semifinal at the cup, so the fourth place will be also european spot.

At this week we will play against the second place team, we can able to reduce the deistance to only one point. 

Ferencvaros will be champion, and there is a chance for a double, so the second place team will go to the Europe league instead of conference league. (double chance to reach the group stage)

Soooooo.....How many Forints would you like to bet he is still a Charlton player next season?
  • Options

Soooooo.....How many Forints would you like to bet he is still a Charlton player next season?
    all in?
  • Options

all in?

All in?
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited April 10
    Well done on Andy Scott for this situation 🙄😬 That & the amount of money likely made available by Charlie & friends. 
  • Options
    edited April 10

all in?

All in?

Sounds like he is in agreement with you Elfs...🙄