Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Speaking as someone with absolutely no knowledge (or interest) in the minutiae of football contracts (or pre contracts), whether English, Hungarian or from anywhere else, the actual facts that I can see are fairly simple:

1. Dobsons current contract with Charlton runs out at the end of the season 
    2. He has some sort of agreement with the Hungarian team after this date
    3. Jones rates him highly, Scott seemingly doesn't 

So as I see it the current situation is that Dobson is off at the end of this season. Yes, its a shame. Yes, Scott is a moron. Yes, we will miss Dobson and struggle to replace him.

But there is zero actual evidence that him being here next season is based on anything beyond wishful thinking. Jones may want him to stay but that doesn't mean anything - Curbs wanted to keep Parker, Powell would have kept Kermorgant. They still left.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Difference now is that Jones is the manager and will make all decisions on players in and out 
    Not if that  player already has a legal contract with another team. 

Which is ultimately what it comes down to. If there is something that means Dobson can opt out then chances are that he could be back next season. If the pre-contract is legally binding he's gone.

I don't like the idea but I'm still very much of the idea he's off to Hungary but hoping to be surprised rather than expecting him back.
  • Options
    edited April 12
    I'm beginning to suspect the number of people with knowledge of how contracts and UEFA rules work is not at all similar to the number of commenters in this thread.

You mean, players cant just shrug their shoulders with a "meh dont fancy you now" and move elsewhere?!?!?!?

• Options
    edited April 12
    Chizz said:
    mendonca said:
    Does anybody know who his agent is? Wonder which other players he 'manages'.
    https://www.transfermarkt.com/every-aspect-group/beraterfirma/berater/6902

Other players I’ve never heard of. Apart from Tennai Watson.

No details given about themselves. Even Macauley Bonne’s idiot agent, a one -man show, had a website :D:smile:

yet another low rent operation leeching a living off football
    https://www.everyaspectgroup.com/ 
    _DOBSON.JPEG

https://www.everyaspectgroup.com/our-clients?pgid=jc7gdz3r-92dbb9eb-0ce2-469f-aa8d-6566c982464e
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Chizz said:
    mendonca said:

No details given about themselves. Even Macauley Bonne’s idiot agent, a one -man show, had a website :D:smile:

_DOBSON.JPEG

https://www.everyaspectgroup.com/our-clients?pgid=jc7gdz3r-92dbb9eb-0ce2-469f-aa8d-6566c982464e
    Very professional. Just what I'd expect from a top-level talent consultancy with a full-service approach and a global reach. 

See. Anyone can write total bollocks and make it sound plausible. Also, anyone can become an agent. There are no "qualifications".  So it is not at all surprising that  "agents" and "bollocks" go together like goulash and Bull's Blood. 

A bit like 'marketing' then ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 12
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Speaking as someone with absolutely no knowledge (or interest) in the minutiae of football contracts (or pre contracts), whether English, Hungarian or from anywhere else, the actual facts that I can see are fairly simple:

So as I see it the current situation is that Dobson is off at the end of this season. Yes, its a shame. Yes, Scott is a moron. Yes, we will miss Dobson and struggle to replace him.

But there is zero actual evidence that him being here next season is based on anything beyond wishful thinking. Jones may want him to stay but that doesn't mean anything - Curbs wanted to keep Parker, Powell would have kept Kermorgant. They still left.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Difference now is that Jones is the manager and will make all decisions on players in and out 

Which is ultimately what it comes down to. If there is something that means Dobson can opt out then chances are that he could be back next season. If the pre-contract is legally binding he's gone.

I don't like the idea but I'm still very much of the idea he's off to Hungary but hoping to be surprised rather than expecting him back.
    If the contract isn’t legally binding I don’t see the point of either the club or the player signing it. If and it’s a big if, there is an escape clause for either party then unless it is without penalty which seems unlikely to me then the defaulting party is probably liable to pay some sort of compensation. Default by the football club would leave George without a club and income and default by George would leave the clubs pre season planning comprimised. I don’t see either party not wanting something out of the deal.
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    Gribbo said:
    Chizz said:
    mendonca said:

_DOBSON.JPEG

Very professional. Just what I'd expect from a top-level talent consultancy with a full-service approach and a global reach. 

See. Anyone can write total bollocks and make it sound plausible. Also, anyone can become an agent. There are no "qualifications".  So it is not at all surprising that  "agents" and "bollocks" go together like goulash and Bull's Blood. 

A bit like 'marketing' then ;)
    Quite. How do you think I became fluent in it? 🤣
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

If the contract isn’t legally binding I don’t see the point of either the club or the player signing it. If and it’s a big if, there is an escape clause for either party then unless it is without penalty which seems unlikely to me then the defaulting party is probably liable to pay some sort of compensation. Default by the football club would leave George without a club and income and default by George would leave the clubs pre season planning comprised. I don’t see either party not wanting something out of the deal.
    There is no IF, it is binding.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

If the contract isn’t legally binding I don’t see the point of either the club or the player signing it. If and it’s a big if, there is an escape clause for either party then unless it is without penalty which seems unlikely to me then the defaulting party is probably liable to pay some sort of compensation. Default by the football club would leave George without a club and income and default by George would leave the clubs pre season planning comprised. I don’t see either party not wanting something out of the deal.
    You would certainly think and expect it to be.
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

You would certainly think and expect it to be.
    If it is not binding, then the pre-contract in football is meaningless. However, this is an existing thing regulated by uefa/fifa.
  • Options
    Just for background interest, can anyone think of any current British professionals who currently or in their career spent at least a season in the Czech,  Slovak,  Polish or Hungarian leagues? I can think of only one, Jamie Lawrence, the Welsh international defender, who spent a couple of seasons with AS Trencin in Slovakia.  As it happens I know his Dad, so I know Jamie is far from a typical Brit, partly raised in Amsterdam and a product of the Ajax academy. I don’t know of any others at all.

I was watching my Czech team, Viktoria Plzen, last night against Fiorentina in the Conference. Right now Viktoria are pretty much at the same level in their league as Videoton in theirs. 10 of their starting XI last night are Czechs. The other is Brazilian but played his entire pro career in CZ. On the bench all Czechs too apart from one from Ivory Coast. 

I hesitate to draw any specific conclusion from it, other than that it underlines how very unusual -possibly unique-  it is for a British player to make a move to a club in one of these countries. Possibly, just possibly, Videoton might be looking at the fuss and noise around this and thinking, sod it, lets do a deal and back out of this. 
  • Options
    My mate spoke to Dobbo at West Ham’s Euro Final - he wants to stay at Charlton - Fact. 
    He was standing on a table singing West Ham songs at the time ! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chizz said:
    Just for background interest, can anyone think of any current British professionals who currently or in their career spent at least a season in the Czech,  Slovak,  Polish or Hungarian leagues? I can think of only one, Jamie Lawrence, the Welsh international defender, who spent a couple of seasons with AS Trencin in Slovakia.  As it happens I know his Dad, so I know Jamie is far from a typical Brit, partly raised in Amsterdam and a product of the Ajax academy. I don’t know of any others at all.

I was watching my Czech team, Viktoria Plzen, last night against Fiorentina in the Conference. Right now Viktoria are pretty much at the same level in their league as Videoton in theirs. 10 of their starting XI last night are Czechs. The other is Brazilian but played his entire pro career in CZ. On the bench all Czechs too apart from one from Ivory Coast. 

I hesitate to draw any specific conclusion from it, other than that it underlines how very unusual -possibly unique-  it is for a British player to make a move to a club in one of these countries. Possibly, just possibly, Videoton might be looking at the fuss and noise around this and thinking, sod it, lets do a deal and back out of this. 
    Ex Charlton loanee Nathan Ecclestone went to Békéscsaba in 2016. 
    Holiday ?
    Yeah. Paid holiday. 
  • Options
    vff said:
    If Dobson does go at the end of the season, Scott (& SMT - Methven & Rodwell) will always be remembered for it. Clueless management player management decision. 
    No one will care either way if we are promoted this time next year.
    Sure, but if Scott is in charge of player decisions, above Nathan Jones, then challenging for promotion will be much harder to achieve.
  • Options
    Very good @Chizz. No idea how you do it. So clearly the Dobbo move would not be “unique” however in that apparently long list there is nobody actually in the region now (?)
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Hungary 
    • Ex Charlton loanee Nathan Ecclestone went to Békéscsaba in 2016. 
    • James Ashmore (ex Sheff United) signed for Ferencváros in 2010.
    • Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill (ex Arsenal and Swindon) ended up at Puskás Akadémia FC.
    • Rohan Ricketts (ex Arsenal and Spurs!) has played just about everywhere.
    • Paul Shaw (ex Arsenal, M*llwank, Gillingham) went to Ferencváros in 2008.
    • Sam Stockley (journeyman) went to Ferencváros in 2010. 
    • Tony Stokes went from West Ham to Ujpest. 
    • James Weir (ex ManUre) went to MTK Budapest.  
    • Tommy "Tommy" Doherty (not that one) went to Ferencváros in 2010. 
    Poland
    • Cameron Borthwick-Jackson – Śląsk Wrocław (2023)
    • Tom Hateley – Śląsk Wrocław (2014-2016), Piast Gliwice (2018-)
    • Eddie Stanford – Legia Warsaw (2004)
    • D'sean Theobalds – Korona Kielce (2020)
    • Rashid Yussuff – Arka Gdynia (2016) 
    Romania 
    • Mark Burke – Rapid București – 2001–2002
      • Shayon Harrison – Politehnica Iași – 2023–
      • Ross Jenkins – ACS Poli Timișoara – 2015–2016
      • Wilson Kneeshaw – ACS Poli Timișoara – 2013–2014
      • Jeffrey Monakana – FC Voluntari – 2015–2016
      • Jordan Mustoe – Dinamo București – 2018–2019
      • Jordan Robertson – Gaz Metan Mediaș – 2013–2014 
      Today Brandon(Puskas) scored a goal against Mezokovesd.
    • Options
      Chizz said:

Hungary 
      • Ex Charlton loanee Nathan Ecclestone went to Békéscsaba in 2016. 
      • James Ashmore (ex Sheff United) signed for Ferencváros in 2010.
      • Brandon Ormonde-Ottewill (ex Arsenal and Swindon) ended up at Puskás Akadémia FC.
      • Rohan Ricketts (ex Arsenal and Spurs!) has played just about everywhere.
      • Paul Shaw (ex Arsenal, M*llwank, Gillingham) went to Ferencváros in 2008.
      • Sam Stockley (journeyman) went to Ferencváros in 2010. 
      • Tony Stokes went from West Ham to Ujpest. 
      • James Weir (ex ManUre) went to MTK Budapest.  
      • Tommy "Tommy" Doherty (not that one) went to Ferencváros in 2010. 
      Poland
      • Cameron Borthwick-Jackson – Śląsk Wrocław (2023)
      • Tom Hateley – Śląsk Wrocław (2014-2016), Piast Gliwice (2018-)
      • Eddie Stanford – Legia Warsaw (2004)
      • D'sean Theobalds – Korona Kielce (2020)
      • Rashid Yussuff – Arka Gdynia (2016) 
      Romania 
      • Mark Burke – Rapid București – 2001–2002
        • Shayon Harrison – Politehnica Iași – 2023–
        • Ross Jenkins – ACS Poli Timișoara – 2015–2016
        • Wilson Kneeshaw – ACS Poli Timișoara – 2013–2014
        • Jeffrey Monakana – FC Voluntari – 2015–2016
        • Jordan Mustoe – Dinamo București – 2018–2019
        • Jordan Robertson – Gaz Metan Mediaș – 2013–2014 
        Is Jordan Mustoe Robbie’s son?
      • Options
        thenewbie said:
        thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

Agree that Dobo has more than likely gone because he is pre-contractually obliged to go, but if he’s signed a contract 5 months in advance, that will take him and his family to Hungary, without any cooling off period, I think he's been a little bit foolish regardless of what his agent / advisor has said.

Say it again that I've personally moved on from Dobo going, although would obviously like him to stay, but this idea that any contract in football is so binding that things can't and don't happen in the 11th hour is for the birds, especially a contract that is signed so far in advance and that will take you to a foreign country, whether it's regulated by UEFA / FIFA or not. It may incur a financial forfeit, but reckon it’ll be in there and it may be what Jones has kind of alluded to when he’s said he’d like him to stay beyond this season.

• Options
        vff said:
        vff said:
        If Dobson does go at the end of the season, Scott (& SMT - Methven & Rodwell) will always be remembered for it. Clueless management player management decision. 
        No one will care either way if we are promoted this time next year.
        Sure, but if Scott is in charge of player decisions, above Nathan Jones, then challenging for promotion will be much harder to achieve.
        I feel a bit sorry for Andy Scott.

I’d be stunned if he has complete control over recruitment and personnel as people like to imagine. Especially now - he’s talked about improving recruitment processes, not to mention Nathan Jones is going to want a bigger say too. Scott is just a convenient bogeyman for larger problems that the whole club has been suffering from for years.

As a professional football club, we must have a recruitment team identifying players. As far as I know, no-one knows who’s part of this team but they will have been advising on ins and outs before Scott got here, and since he arrived. A lot of our frustration should be directed at the people responsible for advising Gallen, Sandgaard and now Scott.

I strongly doubt he’s been working alone on player personnel but if true then no surprise it’d be inadequate when he has to focus on strategy for the women’s team, the academy and other areas all at the same time.
        Scott only going after players that the manager wants , remember Appleton saying that he gave AS list of players he wanted it’s now down to the recruitment team to get them in … now with Jones as a manager he is now above Scott in the recruitment set up 
      • Options
        Gribbo said:
        Chizz said:
        mendonca said:

_DOBSON.JPEG

An extract from their site:

"Financial advice, Wealth management, Mortgages
        We have you covered"

Which is interesting as they do not appear to have FCA authorisation to do any of these things.