Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Speaking as someone with absolutely no knowledge (or interest) in the minutiae of football contracts (or pre contracts), whether English, Hungarian or from anywhere else, the actual facts that I can see are fairly simple:

1. Dobsons current contract with Charlton runs out at the end of the season 
    2. He has some sort of agreement with the Hungarian team after this date
    3. Jones rates him highly, Scott seemingly doesn't 

So as I see it the current situation is that Dobson is off at the end of this season. Yes, its a shame. Yes, Scott is a moron. Yes, we will miss Dobson and struggle to replace him.

But there is zero actual evidence that him being here next season is based on anything beyond wishful thinking. Jones may want him to stay but that doesn't mean anything - Curbs wanted to keep Parker, Powell would have kept Kermorgant. They still left.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Difference now is that Jones is the manager and will make all decisions on players in and out 
    Not if that  player already has a legal contract with another team. 

Which is ultimately what it comes down to. If there is something that means Dobson can opt out then chances are that he could be back next season. If the pre-contract is legally binding he's gone.

I don't like the idea but I'm still very much of the idea he's off to Hungary but hoping to be surprised rather than expecting him back.
    If the contract isn’t legally binding I don’t see the point of either the club or the player signing it. If and it’s a big if, there is an escape clause for either party then unless it is without penalty which seems unlikely to me then the defaulting party is probably liable to pay some sort of compensation. Default by the football club would leave George without a club and income and default by George would leave the clubs pre season planning comprised. I don’t see either party not wanting something out of the deal.
    There is no IF, it is binding.

Agree that Dobo has more than likely gone because he is pre-contractually obliged to go, but if he’s signed a contract 5 months in advance, that will take him and his family to Hungary, without any cooling off period, I think he's been a little bit foolish regardless of what his agent / advisor has said.

Say it again that I've personally moved on from Dobo going, although would obviously like him to stay, but this idea that any contract in football is so binding that things can't and don't happen in the 11th hour is for the birds, especially a contract that is signed so far in advance and that will take you to a foreign country, whether it's regulated by UEFA / FIFA or not. It may incur a financial forfeit, but reckon it’ll be in there and it may be what Jones has kind of alluded to when he’s said he’d like him to stay beyond this season.

In this case the financial forfeit means Charlton must buy out from Videoton. If Dobson don't want to go, this will little bit help the situation, but the price for this transfer will be larger than the original resigned contract with better wage that originally demand by Dobson.

In that situation Videoton also can able to sell him to different team instead of Charlton. 
    Yeah, so it's not 100% binding. There's probably a chance for Charlton to buy Dobo out of this contract so, if or when that time comes, Jones etc will need to make their minds up as to whether it would be value for money to cough up and keep him, or we move on and replace him. Think I'm right in saying though, that none of us know what that figure is. 

He'd obviously need to also be offered improved terms from us, and that would be part of the process, but I don't personally think this is a foregone conclusion at all
    No, it is binding, because Charlton must pay for to keep Dobbo.
    And that's the point here.

He could possibly stay, but for that to happen Charlton would have to agree a figure with Fehervar for them to agree to rip the contract up.

How realistic that figure is is key - it would need to be enough for Fehervar to think they're better off having the money than signing Dobson when he might rather stay, but small enough for Charlton to think they've not spent too much on their 'own' player and/or can do better offering that money on a different player.

For what it's worth I think he'll go - sadly the mess was created in January and that'll be that despite everyone wishing it wasn't.
    The other thing is that, Dobson's transfer fee, with only half year left from his contract, was around between 300-500K EUR. As I heard the first several offer declined, but the final one accepted by Charlton(Scott). In this case the contract lenght will be 3 years, so the transfer fee will be much more higher than that Charlton could had received at February. 
    Jones had kept Dobbo for half year, and avoid the relegation, and a same time Charlton lost the transfer fee.
    At the other hand, Charlton lose Dobbo for nothing, or have to pay much more higher to keep him.  
    How much do you think his transfer value would be if he refused to play in Hungary?
    I heard a 7-figure money for him.
    But you can't force a player on a plane right.

So if George decides you know what i don't actually want to go Hungary now I'm gonna stay in England(yes he may be breaking the contract) but there is nothing they can actually do about it, they can't kidnap him and force him on a plane.

So they will be left with no choice but to sell him(highly doubtful it will be 7 figures for a player who they can't actually play anyway) 

Best for all parties if they and us just agree a fee behind closed doors and it stays nice and easy, if they name a realistic price to buy him out of the contract im sure we would pay it
    Based on the transfer fee from february that Charlton want, and also that blow out the transfer last, and keep Dobson and force him to stay, why sounds the oposit unrealistic?

He has a signed agreement, and he will be our player. Not Videoton force Dobson to signed that.
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    1. No 
    2. It’s a contract, this type of transfer happens 100s of not 1,000s of times a year
    3. Irrelevant 
    4/5. These rules are, sadly, a total joke. When has tapping up ever resulted in a cancelled contract?
    6. irrelevant 
    Just for clarification, you're saying his work permit and work visa are irrelevant and it doesn't matter who he wants to play for?
    Has his passport got at least 6 months on it before it expires? 😁😁😁
    Normal ID enough at the EU, no need passport.
    At Hungary the driving licence is also enough, but maybe for the hungarian people.
    For another EU member resident maybe? 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Speaking as someone with absolutely no knowledge (or interest) in the minutiae of football contracts (or pre contracts), whether English, Hungarian or from anywhere else, the actual facts that I can see are fairly simple:

So as I see it the current situation is that Dobson is off at the end of this season. Yes, its a shame. Yes, Scott is a moron. Yes, we will miss Dobson and struggle to replace him.

But there is zero actual evidence that him being here next season is based on anything beyond wishful thinking. Jones may want him to stay but that doesn't mean anything - Curbs wanted to keep Parker, Powell would have kept Kermorgant. They still left.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Difference now is that Jones is the manager and will make all decisions on players in and out 

Which is ultimately what it comes down to. If there is something that means Dobson can opt out then chances are that he could be back next season. If the pre-contract is legally binding he's gone.

I don't like the idea but I'm still very much of the idea he's off to Hungary but hoping to be surprised rather than expecting him back.
    If the contract isn’t legally binding I don’t see the point of either the club or the player signing it. If and it’s a big if, there is an escape clause for either party then unless it is without penalty which seems unlikely to me then the defaulting party is probably liable to pay some sort of compensation. Default by the football club would leave George without a club and income and default by George would leave the clubs pre season planning comprised. I don’t see either party not wanting something out of the deal.

Agree that Dobo has more than likely gone because he is pre-contractually obliged to go, but if he’s signed a contract 5 months in advance, that will take him and his family to Hungary, without any cooling off period, I think he's been a little bit foolish regardless of what his agent / advisor has said.

Say it again that I've personally moved on from Dobo going, although would obviously like him to stay, but this idea that any contract in football is so binding that things can't and don't happen in the 11th hour is for the birds, especially a contract that is signed so far in advance and that will take you to a foreign country, whether it's regulated by UEFA / FIFA or not. It may incur a financial forfeit, but reckon it’ll be in there and it may be what Jones has kind of alluded to when he’s said he’d like him to stay beyond this season.

In this case the financial forfeit means Charlton must buy out from Videoton. If Dobson don't want to go, this will little bit help the situation, but the price for this transfer will be larger than the original resigned contract with better wage that originally demand by Dobson.

In that situation Videoton also can able to sell him to different team instead of Charlton. 
    Yeah, so it's not 100% binding. There's probably a chance for Charlton to buy Dobo out of this contract so, if or when that time comes, Jones etc will need to make their minds up as to whether it would be value for money to cough up and keep him, or we move on and replace him. Think I'm right in saying though, that none of us know what that figure is. 

He'd obviously need to also be offered improved terms from us, and that would be part of the process, but I don't personally think this is a foregone conclusion at all

He could possibly stay, but for that to happen Charlton would have to agree a figure with Fehervar for them to agree to rip the contract up.

How realistic that figure is is key - it would need to be enough for Fehervar to think they're better off having the money than signing Dobson when he might rather stay, but small enough for Charlton to think they've not spent too much on their 'own' player and/or can do better offering that money on a different player.

For what it's worth I think he'll go - sadly the mess was created in January and that'll be that despite everyone wishing it wasn't.
    The other thing is that, Dobson's transfer fee, with only half year left from his contract, was around between 300-500K EUR. As I heard the first several offer declined, but the final one accepted by Charlton(Scott). In this case the contract lenght will be 3 years, so the transfer fee will be much more higher than that Charlton could had received at February. 
    Jones had kept Dobbo for half year, and avoid the relegation, and a same time Charlton lost the transfer fee.
    At the other hand, Charlton lose Dobbo for nothing, or have to pay much more higher to keep him.  
    How much do you think his transfer value would be if he refused to play in Hungary?

So if George decides you know what i don't actually want to go Hungary now I'm gonna stay in England(yes he may be breaking the contract) but there is nothing they can actually do about it, they can't kidnap him and force him on a plane.

So they will be left with no choice but to sell him(highly doubtful it will be 7 figures for a player who they can't actually play anyway) 

Best for all parties if they and us just agree a fee behind closed doors and it stays nice and easy, if they name a realistic price to buy him out of the contract im sure we would pay it
    You’d actually want to sign a player that would behave in such a fashion? 
  • Options
    A major part of Dobbo's game is desire and effort. Without that, he would only be half the player that he is.

If he's now decided that he's made a huge mistake and wants to stay with us, but Videoton force through the transfer anyway, then they will be getting half the Dobbo that we are currently seeing.

No very unhappy, discontented player, can possibly give their best week in, week out, and it would be silly for the Hungarian's to force him to go there.
    Ultimately, I think it's down to Dobbo as to whether he goes, or stays.

• Options
    A major part of Dobbo's game is desire and effort. Without that, he would only be half the player that he is.

If he's now decided that he's made a huge mistake and wants to stay with us, but Videoton force through the transfer anyway, then they will be getting half the Dobbo that we are currently seeing.

No very unhappy, discontented player, can possibly give their best week in, week out, and it would be silly for the Hungarian's to force him to go there.
    Ultimately, I think it's down to Dobbo as to whether he goes, or stays.

Same happening since the transfer blow out. Why this thing different, that Videoton want him to stay at the summer?
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

Not in a million years. Maybe it rises to 7-figures if we win the Champions League
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

Don’t really think you could get that for a player who refuses to play? I suspect that you would want him gone very quickly 
  • Options
    All well and good if a player hypothetically doesn’t want to play for a team to come to us? But when it’s a player leaving us they are called every name under the sun!  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    7- figure Money.
    I assume that’s 1,000,000 Forints…..about £2,150.🤭
    Our friend @Vjacheslav will not put a figure to a bet I put to him, I asked him how much he would bet Dobson goes to Hungary.
  • Options
    edited April 15
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

Or, no, they'd do what every club in footballl  does with a player that thinks he can do as he pleases rather than what his employers are paying him for, that he agreed to do, and fine them a weeks wages, and another and maybe a month and get them to train with the kids, becasue, heres the thing right, that club HOLDS the players contract and until they transer it or rip it up, that player wont be playing for anyone else, nor, will they be getting paid by any other.

• Options
    Solidgone said:
    The vast majority of this thread is tosh. You read it here first! 
    I’m amazed that a Hungarian poster just happens to sign up to Charlton Life, just happens to have inside info and is happy to share it all with us and no one seems to be questioning it.
  • Options
    7- figure Money.
    Our friend @Vjacheslav will not put a figure to a bet I put to him, I asked him how much he would bet Dobson goes to Hungary.
    Bottle of Unicum?
    So not optimistic at all Dobson will go then.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Solidgone said:
    I’m amazed that a Hungarian poster just happens to sign up to Charlton Life, just happens to have inside info and is happy to share it all with us and no one seems to be questioning it.
    No one questioning it? Every page we start again the Binding question.
  • Options
    edited April 15
    Would love to know what Dobo is thinking at this point
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Would love to know what Dobo is thinking at this point
    My agent mugged me 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    7- figure Money.
    Bottle of Unicum?
    So not optimistic at all Dobson will go then.
    No, but I don't want to wast any money. But the deal is on.
  • Options
    JaShea99 said:
    Solidgone said:
    No one questioning it? Every page we start again the Binding question.
    All I’ve seen is questions on the contract.
  • Options
    edited April 15
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

Not in a million years. Maybe it rises to 7-figures if we win the Champions League
    Charlton ask for him close to 500K with  only half year left from his contract, that mains lower price. If we ask for only a double is a 7 figure money.
    This isn't a usual transfer when the player immediately switches clubs and then decides after a few months its not for him. If Dobson had agreed a deal with Fehérvár immediately once the season finished and joined immediately then Fehérvár would hold all the aces in us trying to get him back and asking for a 7 figure fee. But he's had long enough to change his mind if he has done that Fehérvár would not want a player who doesn't want to be there with 3 years on no doubt a nicely paid contract, Fehérvár would know it would be far easier to tear up the pre-contract for compensation rather than saddle the wage bill on July 1st (unless the pre-contract agreement is unbreakable) if he's changed his mind which ultimately is the key to the situation. 
  • Options
    Keep seeing lots of posts and think something might have been updated but it is the same circular conversations over and over in here.

Pre-contracts are common in footy, Dobo signed one.

I don't think he is dim so don't blame his agent as Dobbo is clever enough to make his own mind up I am sure without an agent hoodwinking him in some way.

Dobbo also doesn't seem like someone to "play up/refuse to play"; and anyway I don't know why he would.

Simply lots of wishful thinking of circumstances whereby he might stay.

He won't, he is gone.  The end. 

I am gutted, my kids moreso but he won't be at Charlton next season I am certain. 

And given as @Vjacheslav seems not to be a gambling man, then @ElfsborgAddick I am happy to bet you £50 he is not at Charlton next season and is at this Hungarian club.  Loser pays it to CAFC Community Trust?  How about it?

I'll run with that.
  • Options

You called M'lord?
    Solidgone said:
    I dunno about tosh, but as @Athletico Charlton says, definitely going round in circles. Now that the traditional charity bet has been proposed, shall we give it a rest for a few days? (I'm resigned to the fact that there'll be a flurry of "he's definitely staying" and/or "he's definitely going" depending on what happens at the end of the Shrewsbury match)
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    The accounts suggest that we sell more than buy.
    If Dobson goes how do we buy a player of similar calibre?
    The closest in style already at the club is young Kedwell who is nowhere near ready.
    Bakinson if he signed on a free isn’t a replacement, nor are Taylor or Coventry. Dobson leaving will need a decisive re adjustment in our style in order to play the cards we are left with.
    I will be very surprised if we spend significant money on a Dobson replacement.
    Coventry is/was Dobbo's replacement. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

This.

As I said earlier, Fehervar have us over a barrel. Dobbo has signed a 3 year contract with them. He is their player from 1st July and if we want him then we will have to buy him back. 

I doubt there will be any "tearing up of contracts". £500k should do it. 
  • Options
    Bump