Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Speaking as someone with absolutely no knowledge (or interest) in the minutiae of football contracts (or pre contracts), whether English, Hungarian or from anywhere else, the actual facts that I can see are fairly simple:

1. Dobsons current contract with Charlton runs out at the end of the season 
    2. He has some sort of agreement with the Hungarian team after this date
    3. Jones rates him highly, Scott seemingly doesn't 

So as I see it the current situation is that Dobson is off at the end of this season. Yes, its a shame. Yes, Scott is a moron. Yes, we will miss Dobson and struggle to replace him.

But there is zero actual evidence that him being here next season is based on anything beyond wishful thinking. Jones may want him to stay but that doesn't mean anything - Curbs wanted to keep Parker, Powell would have kept Kermorgant. They still left.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Difference now is that Jones is the manager and will make all decisions on players in and out 
    Not if that  player already has a legal contract with another team. 

Which is ultimately what it comes down to. If there is something that means Dobson can opt out then chances are that he could be back next season. If the pre-contract is legally binding he's gone.

I don't like the idea but I'm still very much of the idea he's off to Hungary but hoping to be surprised rather than expecting him back.
    If the contract isn’t legally binding I don’t see the point of either the club or the player signing it. If and it’s a big if, there is an escape clause for either party then unless it is without penalty which seems unlikely to me then the defaulting party is probably liable to pay some sort of compensation. Default by the football club would leave George without a club and income and default by George would leave the clubs pre season planning comprised. I don’t see either party not wanting something out of the deal.
    There is no IF, it is binding.

Agree that Dobo has more than likely gone because he is pre-contractually obliged to go, but if he’s signed a contract 5 months in advance, that will take him and his family to Hungary, without any cooling off period, I think he's been a little bit foolish regardless of what his agent / advisor has said.

Say it again that I've personally moved on from Dobo going, although would obviously like him to stay, but this idea that any contract in football is so binding that things can't and don't happen in the 11th hour is for the birds, especially a contract that is signed so far in advance and that will take you to a foreign country, whether it's regulated by UEFA / FIFA or not. It may incur a financial forfeit, but reckon it’ll be in there and it may be what Jones has kind of alluded to when he’s said he’d like him to stay beyond this season.

In this case the financial forfeit means Charlton must buy out from Videoton. If Dobson don't want to go, this will little bit help the situation, but the price for this transfer will be larger than the original resigned contract with better wage that originally demand by Dobson.

In that situation Videoton also can able to sell him to different team instead of Charlton. 
  • Options
    edited April 15
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Speaking as someone with absolutely no knowledge (or interest) in the minutiae of football contracts (or pre contracts), whether English, Hungarian or from anywhere else, the actual facts that I can see are fairly simple:

So as I see it the current situation is that Dobson is off at the end of this season. Yes, its a shame. Yes, Scott is a moron. Yes, we will miss Dobson and struggle to replace him.

But there is zero actual evidence that him being here next season is based on anything beyond wishful thinking. Jones may want him to stay but that doesn't mean anything - Curbs wanted to keep Parker, Powell would have kept Kermorgant. They still left.

I hope I'm wrong.
    Difference now is that Jones is the manager and will make all decisions on players in and out 

Which is ultimately what it comes down to. If there is something that means Dobson can opt out then chances are that he could be back next season. If the pre-contract is legally binding he's gone.

I don't like the idea but I'm still very much of the idea he's off to Hungary but hoping to be surprised rather than expecting him back.
    If the contract isn’t legally binding I don’t see the point of either the club or the player signing it. If and it’s a big if, there is an escape clause for either party then unless it is without penalty which seems unlikely to me then the defaulting party is probably liable to pay some sort of compensation. Default by the football club would leave George without a club and income and default by George would leave the clubs pre season planning comprised. I don’t see either party not wanting something out of the deal.

Agree that Dobo has more than likely gone because he is pre-contractually obliged to go, but if he’s signed a contract 5 months in advance, that will take him and his family to Hungary, without any cooling off period, I think he's been a little bit foolish regardless of what his agent / advisor has said.

Say it again that I've personally moved on from Dobo going, although would obviously like him to stay, but this idea that any contract in football is so binding that things can't and don't happen in the 11th hour is for the birds, especially a contract that is signed so far in advance and that will take you to a foreign country, whether it's regulated by UEFA / FIFA or not. It may incur a financial forfeit, but reckon it’ll be in there and it may be what Jones has kind of alluded to when he’s said he’d like him to stay beyond this season.

In this case the financial forfeit means Charlton must buy out from Videoton. If Dobson don't want to go, this will little bit help the situation, but the price for this transfer will be larger than the original resigned contract with better wage that originally demand by Dobson.

In that situation Videoton also can able to sell him to different team instead of Charlton. 
    Yeah, so it's not 100% binding. There's probably a chance for Charlton to buy Dobo out of this contract so, if or when that time comes, Jones etc will need to make their minds up as to whether it would be value for money to cough up and keep him, or we move on and replace him. Think I'm right in saying though, that none of us know what that figure is. 

He'd obviously need to also be offered improved terms from us, and that would be part of the process, but I don't personally think this is a foregone conclusion at all
  • Options
    Unravelling the Dobson thing is beginning to sound like too much aggro, and in the end Methven (who I think runs the club) will wash his hands of it and allow Dobson to depart even if Dobson wishes to stay, and we can all see he is one of our best players.
    Methven may well bounce responsibility to Andy Scott, and there may be some truth in that sharing of responsibility for incompetence. 
    Personally I want Dobbo to stay, and for once I believe I am part of the majority.
    Oxford fan Methven and his underling Scott should re visit the notion of the wisdom of crowds and learn from Luis Campos.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I don't really want the transfer pot spent on buying out a contract of a player, who despite Jones arriving, still signed a pre contract agreement elsewhere.
    I do agree with this, but we're not sure how much it would cost to put this right. If it was as little as £100k to £150k to rip the contract up plus an improved offer to Dobo, reckon it could just be put down to a major faux pas by someone at the club (Scott?) and we get to keep a great player and club captain. 
  • Options
    edited April 15
    Of course we don't know how much aggro it will be. This will sort itself out at the end of the season but if Dobbo does really want to stay, that nudges it in our favour I would expect. A lot of clubs don't like signing players who don't want to go there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    seth plum said:
    Unravelling the Dobson thing is beginning to sound like too much aggro, and in the end Methven (who I think runs the club) will wash his hands of it and allow Dobson to depart even if Dobson wishes to stay, and we can all see he is one of our best players.
    Methven may well bounce responsibility to Andy Scott, and there may be some truth in that sharing of responsibility for incompetence. 
    Personally I want Dobbo to stay, and for once I believe I am part of the majority.
    Oxford fan Methven and his underling Scott should re visit the notion of the wisdom of crowds and learn from Luis Campos.
    Is there any relevance behind Methven being an Oxford fan? Not sure what it has to do with anything after all wasn’t Richard Murray a Wolves fan? Also get the feeling you don’t like Methven, any particular reason? Can’t see he’s done anything whilst at Charlton to make him the enemy unless I’ve missed something glaring.
  • Options
    The club definitely think there’s a chance he’ll be here next season.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    seth plum said:
    Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Obsessed 
    Are you making some kind of reasonable point, or a comment about me personally?
    If you are making a disparaging remark about me, then you are not interested in explaining yourself but simply throwing out rather inaccurate adjectives.
    Are you doing that as an act of self comfort or in a desperate attempt to feel superior?
    You don’t know me or my obsessions, nor do I know you and your obsessions, the difference between us is that I refrain from slinging out personal adjectives in your direction.
    Crack on.
    Think it's just that you made up a kind of evil villain scenario in your post (sort of - that Andy Scott is to Charlie Methven what Waylon Smithers is to Mr Burns), and continued that you think Methven has used Scott to secretly go behind the majority of the fan's back, to make an out of contract player leave because basically, he's an Oxford supporter, so that'll trump the fact that he needs to get a any return for the investors he's personally got on board. 

It doesn't make any sense mate.
    Thank you for your developed perspective.
    I don’t agree with all of what you say, but a lot of it.
    You may be interested to know that I am not the only poster pointing fingers at Andy Scott, if you read this thread back you will see that to be true.
    What I am doing is suggesting that the Methven/Scott management of Charlton Athletic is welded. I was at the U21 game last week, and was wondering why Methven, reportedly a sleeping distant mere shareholder was there.
    I also wonder why Methven is here when he seemingly has no personal affiliation with the club as I and many others do. 
    I don’t see any secrecy in the Dobson affair by the way, simply poor judgement and incompetence.
    If George Dobson comes out and says it is his lifelong ambition to play in Hungary, and it was an offer he couldn’t refuse, and Methven and Scott moved heaven and earth to try to persuade him to stay then I will probably see things differently.
    Incidentally I don’t see Dobson leaving as a return for ‘investors’, unless a cost cutting measure is a return.
    I hope what I have written makes some kind of sense to you.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:
    Dobson is getting back to what he was before. If we have to buy him back, we should, because who else is reasonably within our budget?

I suppose that opens up the question of what is our budget for next season?
    Its also down to how much he would cost. Because who’s to say we couldn’t just get someone like Herbie Kane on a free transfer offer him the higher wage instead of buying Dobson out then offering him that same wage? 
    It comes down to a cost benefit analysis. We don’t know how much Dobson is worth clearly if we want him the price goes up
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, so it's not 100% binding. There's probably a chance for Charlton to buy Dobo out of this contract so, if or when that time comes, Jones etc will need to make their minds up as to whether it would be value for money to cough up and keep him, or we move on and replace him. Think I'm right in saying though, that none of us know what that figure is. 

He'd obviously need to also be offered improved terms from us, and that would be part of the process, but I don't personally think this is a foregone conclusion at all
    It’s as binding as any contract in football is. Charlton could buy any player who is under contract so long as a fee was agreed with the team that has the players registration and a contract is agreed with the player themselves. That’s what we would have to do in order to keep Dobson at Charlton. 
  • Options
    edited April 15
    se9addick said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

It’s as binding as any contract in football is. Charlton could buy any player who is under contract so long as a fee was agreed with the team that has the players registration and a contract is agreed with the player themselves. That’s what we would have to do in order to keep Dobson at Charlton. 
    I know, the other fella is talking like absolutely nothing can be done to change things
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Is the pre contract binding in both Hungary and The UK?
    I seem to have missed this.
  • Options
    I originally assumed that any agreement was that the Hungarians have first dibs in order to try to make a deal to the exclusion of other clubs. Not that he is signed and on loan to us.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I originally assumed that any agreement was that the Hungarians have first dibs in order to try to make a deal to the exclusion of other clubs. Not that he is signed and on loan to us.
    It’s believed his contract with us runs until 30th June and he’s signed a contract with the Hungarian club that will start on 1st July. 
    Therefore to play for us in July we’d have to pay a fee as we would for other players under contract.

The questions are can Dobson get out of the agreement, would there be any penalties and if not how big a fee would we have to pay.
  • Options
    IF Dobson was going, do you really think he would be anywhere near the first team selection now we are out of danger of relegation, if we were ever really in it that is...
    Dobson is going nowhere next year, and will be signing an extension with us soon as season is over, probably for 2 years + 1 optional...
    This thread is amazing in it's sustainability...🙄
  • Options
    Was standing next to his old man Saturday, asked him if there is any chance of him staying. He said Jones wants him to stay so let’s see.
    I suspect the fact we are now safe and Jones is not only playing Dobson but still has him leading the team as captain speaks a thousand words.

If Dobson also carries on playing the last 2 games as captain I strongly suspect something will happen behind the scenes before long. 
    He is also going out of his way to praise him in interviews. 
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:

I hope I'm wrong.

No, it is binding, because Charlton must pay for to keep Dobbo.
  • Options
    Was standing next to his old man Saturday, asked him if there is any chance of him staying. He said Jones wants him to stay so let’s see.
    I suspect the fact we are now safe and Jones is not only playing Dobson but still has him leading the team as captain speaks a thousand words.

If Dobson also carries on playing the last 2 games as captain I strongly suspect something will happen behind the scenes before long. 
    He is also going out of his way to praise him in interviews. 
    Not sure about that. He's being asked about him in virtually every interview, he's hardly going to say "no I think Dobson's crap". 
  • Options
    edited April 15
    Is the pre contract binding in both Hungary and The UK?
    I seem to have missed this.
    Binding under as uefa/fifa regulation too. And also valid at UK, because contains all of the elements as a final contract.
  • Options
    The accounts suggest that we sell more than buy.
    If Dobson goes how do we buy a player of similar calibre?
    The closest in style already at the club is young Kedwell who is nowhere near ready.
    Bakinson if he signed on a free isn’t a replacement, nor are Taylor or Coventry. Dobson leaving will need a decisive re adjustment in our style in order to play the cards we are left with.
    I will be very surprised if we spend significant money on a Dobson replacement.