Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

George Dobson - Hungarians say transfer on hold til the summer (p61)

Comments

• Options
    mendonca said:
    This is messy and everybody has gone quiet.... including the poster who was sharing a heck of a lot one hour before kickoff!
    Was in the Rad so missed whatever this was @mendonca

What's it all about?
    Before Reading away.
  • Options
    Only at Charlton could we have a player and could have retained him by making a reasonable offer to him only to lose him to a ten bob foreign club and start to talk about buying him back as well as paying higher wages. I’m not sure I could stand the embarrassment 
    But then for the club or whoever was responsible to hold their hands up and admit to the mistake, then put it right would deserve some respect.
  • Options
    It would be interesting to play one match with Dobbo on the bench for the 1st half and then replace Coventry for the 2nd half, use the other midfield position for an attacking player - Bakinson, TC, ???
    You can check this at the following two matches, because he recived the 10th yellow cards, so possibly the yesterday's match was his last game at The Valley.

How many Forints would you like to bet he is still a Charlton player next season? :)
    I misread that as Fiorinis first time round and was confused, as I'm pretty sure he's not ours to bet with.
  • Options
    Dobson will be a Charlton player next season. More likely in January on loan. 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Only at Charlton could we have a player and could have retained him by making a reasonable offer to him only to lose him to a ten bob foreign club and start to talk about buying him back as well as paying higher wages. I’m not sure I could stand the embarrassment 
    But then for the club or whoever was responsible to hold their hands up and admit to the mistake, then put it right would deserve some respect.
    There’s a chance of that, that Scott, or Methven would hold their hand up / be accountable? 
  • Options
    Still not sure why Dobson would want to go to Hungary.  Even if he wants out of Charlton,  there are plenty of league 1 clubs who would sign him in a second.  Once you go to foreign league which isn’t one of the top tier leagues, you are out of sight out of mind,  the interest domestically might not be there in two tears if nobody is watching him play
  • Options
    Gribbo said:
    Astounded if these so called "pre"-contracts don't have a get out clause. Things change so quickly in football

It is binding for both party, if Dobbo will be injured at his last game, and he will be out for example half year, we must also pay his salary.
    All stand up…Never say never say  never…👍
    I talked with a guy from the club, who know the contract, he told me it is binding.

The contract rules clear, and the contract valid for hungarian, and also uefa law. That is why binding.
    It doesnt matter how binding the contract is - if Dobbo decides he doesnt want to play for the Hungarian team after all - what are they going to do, kidnap him ? 
    For what its worth in the world of business Ive had people sign contracts of employment and not turn up  and Ive never considered taking them to court 
    What would be the cost of Dobbo breaching his contract ? They haven’t paid him anything and there is no transfer fee being paid and for all they know he might break a leg immediately or turn out to be useless in the Hungarian league 
    I cannot see how the Hungarian team can demonstrate any loss has been incurred if Dobbo changes his mind so generally in law it would be unlikely to result in damages and wouldn’t be worth pursuing 
    I suppose their case could be that they are getting a player for nothing. If he doesn't join them & they have to go and buy a replacement how much would that cost them...?  £300k  ??  £500k  ??

Seeing as nearly almost everyone on here wants Dobbo to stay & it seems will pay almost anything to keep him here then I'd say the Hungarians have us over a barrel.

If I was them I'd start at £1m. 

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:
    Astounded if these so called "pre"-contracts don't have a get out clause. Things change so quickly in football

It is binding for both party, if Dobbo will be injured at his last game, and he will be out for example half year, we must also pay his salary.
    I talked with a guy from the club, who know the contract, he told me it is binding.

The contract rules clear, and the contract valid for hungarian, and also uefa law. That is why binding.
    It doesnt matter how binding the contract is - if Dobbo decides he doesnt want to play for the Hungarian team after all - what are they going to do, kidnap him ? 
    For what its worth in the world of business Ive had people sign contracts of employment and not turn up  and Ive never considered taking them to court 
    What would be the cost of Dobbo breaching his contract ? They haven’t paid him anything and there is no transfer fee being paid and for all they know he might break a leg immediately or turn out to be useless in the Hungarian league 
    I cannot see how the Hungarian team can demonstrate any loss has been incurred if Dobbo changes his mind so generally in law it would be unlikely to result in damages and wouldn’t be worth pursuing 
    The issue here is we wouldn't be able to register him. The Hungarian team would query it and I doubt any governing body would be very cautious in that situation
  • Options
    Id assume any contract can be broken but potentiality with a penalty fee. 

His agent will know what the contract allows. 

If he wants now to stay and we want him (I’m not fussed as the squad doesn’t work currently and change is needed) then I assume any compensation would need to be taken from any signing on fee he was to get from us or any wage increase unless Jones wants to invest more of his total squad budget in his direction. 

Jones’s call. 
  • Options
    Does anybody know who his agent is? Wonder which other players he 'manages'.
  • Options
    I still think it was an odd decision by Dobbo and his agent to sign that pre-contract, rather than waiting to see if he got any Championship offers in the summer. Never mind us, with performances like last night's I'm sure he'd get Championship clubs interest, or interest from  one of the teams promoted from L1 this season like Pompey or Derby who'll know what he can do.

I'd be amazed if a Hungarian side can pay better than a Championship one.
    100%. I'm going to assume that the Hungarian side are not going to be paying him life changing money so i've never understood why he didn't at least wait until this summer and then see what offers were there.

I could be completely wrong as i don't know them but i'd also be surprised if his mrs was too thrilled about moving over there with a young child away from family where she will know nobody.

On the flip side though there's far worse places to live than Budapest and he will pay less tax, so maybe he just thought fuck it, i fancy a change.
  • Options
    Gribbo said:

The football authorities can decide that his registration remains with the Hungarian club and cannot be transferred. Using English case law to assess what or not a Hungarian court might decide with regards to loss incurred doesn’t sound promising to me. I have no doubt that the Hungarian club will either want Dobson or squeeze something financial out of someone. 
  • Options
    Like everyone else I have no idea of the legal situation but GD doesnt look like a player seeing his contract out when watching him play ( if he is then fair play to him his performances are a great advert for his personality ) I dont think NJ would still be playing him and having him as his captain now we are safe, Im pretty sure Dobson features in NJ's future plans.

If I had to pick what way this will go then I would say GD will still be here next year
  • Options
    Yeah its odd for example how Dobson signed that pre-Contract and couldnt wait till the summer.

Terrell Thomas on the other hand has equally been linked to Hungary and hasn't signed anything (Guess it depends if it was true or not)... Who you'd argue is probably in a less secure position than George, given he's not really a guaranteed first choice option even for us.

Just hope that its different type of culture out in Hungary than it is in Serbia

Remember reading about Josh Parker's less than fun adventures out with Red Star Belgrade, and the legal he had to go through (as a Footballer) to get out of his Contract with them.
  • Options
    If it was George driving the Hungarian adventure then fair enough but if it was his agent advising then if I was George I’d be dispensing with his services. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Gribbo said:

Exactly.

Suppose Dobson decides he wants to stay and gets an acceptable offer from us but the Hungarians still say they want him and insist he joins them (if the pre-contract gives them that power).

All Dobson has to do is say he really doesn't want to go amymore and play up if they force him to. Miss his flight out there; turn up 2 weeks late out of condition; go through the motions in training; get deliberately sent off etc. All stuff that ensures he still has to be paid whilst making little effort.

Give it 6 weeks and the Hungarians will be only too happy to take whatever is offered to get him off their hands.

The power rests with the players these days. That is the reality of the situation for the Hungarians.
  • Options
    edited April 11
    I think peoples views of what and what doesn’t go on in Hungarian contract law is based purely on what is done and accepted here. I’m fairly confident that English and Hungarian contract law are like chalk and cheese. 
  • Options
    edited April 11
    If it was George driving the Hungarian adventure then fair enough but if it was his agent advising then if I was George I’d be dispensing with his services. 
    His agent can only advise him, he can't force him to sign a contract. Dobson wouldn't have signed it unless he was fully on board with going there. Especially when it's a move that would've required some serious thought and consulting with his wife/girlfriend and family.
  • Options
    To be fair to Andy Scott, any player can sign a pre-contract agreement. To be critical, how hard was he trying to persuade Dobbo to stay? There may be things we don't know but I suspect Dobbo valued his worth more than the club did and now we have a manager who appreciates his worth but it is probably too late. I hope something can be done but I suspect the odds are against it being so and as people have said, we don't know Dobbo's views on it either.
  • Options
    He’s been a good player, but we should not be buying him out of a pre contract. It’s poor business and doesn't make sense. It will also look embarrassing to the club (especially those who made the decision). Bad its come to this as I think he’d do a job for us next year but it’s not something we should pursue 
    With respect, nonsense.

Have you seen his performance in the last 3 games? He's been outstanding. 

Suppose it costs £200k or £300k to buy him out of his contract. I just don't see where we would get a similar player for that cost.

Yes it will be embarrassing.  And some will have a good laugh. Let them - we will have the final laugh when George goes up to pick up the league winners cup!
    That was the cost for Dobson with half year left from his contract, so you can compare with that with a 3 year long contract.
    He’s been a good player, but we should not be buying him out of a pre contract. It’s poor business and doesn't make sense. It will also look embarrassing to the club (especially those who made the decision). Bad its come to this as I think he’d do a job for us next year but it’s not something we should pursue 
    With respect, nonsense.

Have you seen his performance in the last 3 games? He's been outstanding. 

Suppose it costs £200k or £300k to buy him out of his contract. I just don't see where we would get a similar player for that cost.

Yes it will be embarrassing.  And some will have a good laugh. Let them - we will have the final laugh when George goes up to pick up the league winners cup!
    That was the cost for Dobson with half year left from his contract, so you can compare with that with a 3 year long contract.
    That value was for an EFL player, I doubt the Hungarian transfer market is as inflated.
  • Options
    I'm still pretty convinced Dobson will be playing for us next season - no idea why